PDA

View Full Version : Best Cables Book

nadja la claire
04-27-2007, 08:18 AM
I love doing cables and I've got a B&N $60 gift card so I was wondering what would be the best book to get.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

snowbear
04-27-2007, 08:22 AM
I have both the Vogue & cable untangled- the Vogue shows more of different cables.. but the other shows patterns.. I love them both... (*is that called enabeling? )

nadja la claire
04-27-2007, 08:30 AM
You're not enabling, you're simply helping a friend make a very important decision. Thanks.

Nadja xxx

bailsmom
04-27-2007, 10:19 AM
I can only vote for Cables Untangled because I"ve not looked at the other 2. :teehee: Sorry.

I'm making the afghan on this books cover in a pretty pale yellow.

sara_jayne
04-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I have the Cables Untangled and the Vogue Sticthonary one and I am completely in love with Cables Untangled. There are patterns in the book - for clothes & home - and also many cable stitches in the back that aren't part of a pattern.

Although, with $60, you could get both! :teehee:

I've not seen the Viking Knits....but I know others love that one too.

I'm being super helpful here!

Mulderknitter
04-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I bought Cables Untangled but haven't done any of the patterns inside yet. I had to have the book though because of the pattern for the afghan and all of the different cable patterns in the back that you can use to make whatever. I haven't used it yet though because it's all a lot of charts and I haven't figured out how to read a chart yet :wall:

SabrinaJL
04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm making the afghan on this books cover in a pretty pale yellow.

Wow! My mom wants me to make it for her, but I told her no because I'd be seaming it together for years. :roflhard: I'll probably surprise her with it for xmas though.

Yvonne
04-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I prefer the Barbara Walker Treasuries (1 and 2) for cables. They are $32 each at Knitpicks. :D

nadja la claire
04-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. :muah: I went to B&N and I got the Vogue 2 because that was the only cable book they had and I like it but I'd like to get a book that has more Celtic cables. I've still got plenty of cash left on my card so I think I'll go to the B&N near work and see what they've got.

Nadja xxx

auburnchick
04-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Nadja, you know that you can use that gift card online too. The only downside is you pay shipping, but it's worth it to have a bigger selection than what may be in your local store.

Eloewien
04-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Hard choice... I've got viking and untangled and like both.
Viking is mostly sweaters, however, and not much else. Don't get me wrong- I'm working on one of them now and I absolutely love it!

I'm finding that Untangled is great because it has both patterns for projects and the various stitches- it's a nice compromise. It also has tips for designing your own projects and different methods for working the cables.

I've also looked at the vogue cables book-- it's a wonderful reference for stitch patterns, but not much else.

Overall, the Untangled book gives you the most options and variety-- some projects, great stitch patterns and even better tips on designing your own!

Just my two cents :)

nadja la claire
04-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Nadja, you know that you can use that gift card online too. The only downside is you pay shipping, but it's worth it to have a bigger selection than what may be in your local store.

OMGosh Nathalie, I didn't even think of that :doh: :oops:

Thank you for your very useful 2 cents, Eloewien and I'm going to look into the Barbra Walker books too, Yvonne.

Thanks all!! :hug:

Nadja xxx