PDA

View Full Version : Helppppp meeeee

Nobones
04-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Ok, today I thought down with that purple dressing gown, and 'S*d this'.

So I need your help. I am going to knit.......A SOCK tada.

But I need help, sutible easy pattern, what sort of yarn, needles ect.

If you guys help I'll be a less stressed person, and my brain can stay behind my ears.

Thank you Nobones :muah: :hug:

Ingrid
04-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) Exactly what you need for a first sock!

scubasinger
04-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree about using the sock tutorial. I just finished my first pair of socks about 3 days ago using that tutorial. I used a worsted weight on size 8's. It made a nice pair of hiking boot socks or wear around the house socks. A little thick for wearing with normal shoes.

But the techniques are great to learn.

Now I'm on to something more challenging: a pair of dress socks with a cable pattern. Fingering weight wool on five size 2 dpns. I feel like I'm trying to knit thread with toothpicks! Yeesh, never knew my hands could be so big.

Learning, learning, learning..... :wall:

Nobones
04-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Wow. Thank you so much. I will be going out this afternoon to buy sutible yarn and needles. Here we go.....

knitwit88
04-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Now I'm on to something more challenging: a pair of dress socks with a cable pattern. :wall:

How would you make cabled socks? Wouldn't the pattern prevent you from wearing them with normal shoes?

Ingrid
04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
When you make 'fahncy' socks, the design is on the leg and top of the foot. The bottom of the foot is plain. The yarn is also super thin.

scubasinger
04-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Yup, what Ingrid said.

On the leg, the cable pattern is done once on each of the four needles, for a total of four cables on the circumference of the leg. Once you get to the heel/sole section, the cables are only done on the two needles creating the top part of the the sock.