PDA

View Full Version : Handy Hints & Tips

mel.b
04-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have any handy hints and/or tips to share, especially for newer knitters or knitters just starting to advance from simple scarfs :)

I'm making a beanie at the moment and don't have a proper pattern to follow (although that could make a good tip...use a pattern!) Anyway, I had to tink two rows of knitting because I stuffed up :wall: When I was ready to start knitting again I still wasn't convinced that it was right so I decided to frog the next row (I love the knitting terms!). I was really worried about picking up my stitches and threading the needle back through so what I did was get a piece of contrasting color wool and threaded it with a big darning needle. Then I slowly pulled each stitch off the needle and using my needle and thread, threaded through the stitch loop below. When I got the end of the row I was able to get my needle and thread it through without worrying that I was going to miss a stitch. I pulled out the contrasting colour after every couple of stitches were put back on the needle. It worked a treat and now I've just knitted the next row and it's perfect :cheering:

This is probably a basic hint that lots of experienced knitters know and use, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere so i thought I would post here for other beginnin knitters to use.

mel.b

Ingrid
04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
If you need a pictorial of the technique, Amy has video under Fixing Mistakes.
It sure is a lifesaver, and you were clever for figuring it out yourself!

BinkyKat
04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Now you know how to insert a lifeline! Heck, getting all those stitches onto something to keep them from falling is half the battle! I think that was the most important thing I learned is what to do to fix a mistake. #1, get them on something secure #2, gigure out how to get them back on correctly, #3, how do I fix what the mistake was and still end up with the right number...
Outside of the videos and stuff here.. there is a book called Fix-it and the Knitting Answer Book that I really like for "fits in my bag" reference on tons of subject. The Knitting Answer Book is my fave, I have yet to not find something in it. I think we all get ourselves all flustered trying to be perfect because we're scared to fix a mistake. Once you do, you're golden! I had to trust myself that I could drop a stitch from several rows up and get it back up to where I could continue. Sometimes knitting up a good size swatch and then purposely making an error is a great way to practice fixing goofs!
:happydance:

redwitch
04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Yep, check out a couple of variations on this idea in the videos or search online for pics/descriptions: 'using a lifeline' and 'destination row'. Total lifesavers, frogging can be nerve-racking for a beginner.
I think there's a thread on Craftster about tips and tricks in knitting.
Sarah

ArtLady1981
04-28-2007, 01:46 AM
A "tip"...my 2 cents worth:

Before starting a pattern...whether it be a leaflet, book, or an online freebie...poke around on their website and see if there is a CORRECTIONS page. Another word for CORRECTIONS is "Errata"...meaning ERRORS. Even websites that give out free patterns sometimes have a FORUM just for their viewers...and CORRECTIONS can be found there...and you can ASK about a pattern, too.

Save your sanity. An ounce of Prevention is worth much more than a pound of cure!