PDA

View Full Version : help with cable rib sock pattern

mdog182
04-28-2007, 03:24 AM
i'm trying to make the socks from the cable rib sock pattern on this website http://www.annidesign.co.uk/ under the free patterns section but i have run into a problem. i have finished the length of the cuff that i want and am ready to start the heel. the only other sock i have made is from silver's sock tutorial for one sock on dpns and in her tutorial, you have to divide the stitches on the needles so that there are more stitches on one needle than the other two when making the heel. do you have to do this with all sock patterns? this pattern does not explicitly say to do so and now i am confused. and they are doing the heel in a different way than silver does. can anyone help me?

Boogs
04-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Not all sock patterns are the same - it'd be rather dull if they were - so, no, not all patterns will tell you exactly where to put the stitches because not everyone needs or wants to be told.

If you've managed to follow the instructions for the sock this far then you should carry on - sounds like you're doing well. :)

Miss Moosey
04-28-2007, 09:15 AM
From looking at the pattern, I think it would probably be easiest to put those 30 heel stitches onto one needle. I don't think it really makes a huge difference whether they're on one needle or two, but it looks like it would be easier if they were on one, especially when you're turning the heel.

Good luck!
Rebecca

mdog182
04-28-2007, 04:43 PM
thanks for the advice guys! i guess my biggest i guess, comprehension problem with the pattern is this part:

Heel Flap:

Row 1 K1, turn, sl1, p29, turn

Row 2 - Sl1, k29, turn,

Row 3 - Sl1, p29 turn

on row 1, if i am reading it correctly, it looks like i am working 31 stitches altogether but row 2 and 3 are only 30 stitches? or am i just confused with the turning part?

Boogs
04-28-2007, 06:52 PM
thanks for the advice guys! i guess my biggest i guess, comprehension problem with the pattern is this part:

Heel Flap:

Row 1 K1, turn, sl1, p29, turn

Row 2 - Sl1, k29, turn,

Row 3 - Sl1, p29 turn

on row 1, if i am reading it correctly, it looks like i am working 31 stitches altogether but row 2 and 3 are only 30 stitches? or am i just confused with the turning part?

It looks confusing on paper, definitely, but if you just follow those instructions it will all make sense, I promise. :D

As you are knitting 1, slipping 1, then turning and purling 29 that only makes 30 as you are not knitting or purling that first stitch after that - you will continue working on those 30 stitches for the heel.

You really do just have to try not to think about it and do it.