PDA

View Full Version : CALLING ALL DENISE OWNERS!!!

hydeemarie
04-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok. So I am a knitter of 2 years and have never owned an interchangable set before. I have looked at all of the different sets. I saw that knitpicks was not very-well organized and they cable lengths were limited (no 16 or 17 inch). I looked at the boye needlemaster and saw that the cables are not very flexible, in fact that they are stiff. I have seen that the denise are the most practical. What is your take on these needles? What set would you recommend for me? :shrug: :muah:

bailsmom
04-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I have the Denises and I like them a lot. Because the stitches don't fall off the needles. It takes a bit of doing to lose a stitch. Sometimes they are hard to move on the cables themselves, but that could be me being a tight knitter. :shrug:

hydeemarie
04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I have the Denises and I like them a lot. Because the stitches don't fall off the needles. It takes a bit of doing to lose a stitch. Sometimes they are hard to move on the cables themselves, but that could be me being a tight knitter. :shrug:

Are the cords flexible? And... do you knit english or continental?

brendajos
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I had the Boye set and sold it for the Denise set. I had the Denise set and sold it for the KP set and as much as I liked the Denise set, I would never go back.

The only thing that I didn't like about the Denise needles was how thick the cord was. It is extremely pliable but when you get down to the smaller size needles the cable is just as thick as the needle itself and I found it made it harder to move the work.

I personally don't find the organization of the needles a problem. I know exactly where each of my needle points go just at a glance so not really sure what the problem is there. :shrug:

hydeemarie
04-28-2007, 11:37 AM
What lengths of cables come with the denise set?

aineepooh1
04-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I really like my denises. I can't remember the lenghts right now (sorry) but if you go to the denise website it will tell you exactly what comes with the set. You can buy extra longer cables if you want to and larger needles (they go to sz15) but I really like mine :heart:
as far as the KPO I have NOT tried them BUT i don't like metal needles. I find them hard to work with and I prefer a resin needles. alot of people love them but like I said I DON"T like metal needles. I tried the boyes and didn't like them either..

PinkRoses
04-28-2007, 11:58 AM
For additional info. on the interchangeable sets, there is a five page thread above with lots of info. on all the sets. I found it quite helpful. I have not purchased a set yet 'cause we're low on cash. Hope you find the set that's best for you! :happydance:

hydeemarie
04-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok, so i read that there are different lenghts for the circulars vs. the flex straights in the set. So, does this mean that you combine cables to get the lenghts you want? :shrug:

Quiltlady
04-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I have the Denise set and I love it. There are many lengths of cords that come with the set and you can even order longer ones if you wish.

I do not plan to buy any other brand since I've perfectly happy with these. In fact, I use my Denise needles almost every time I knit anything. :cheering: :cheering:

zkimom
04-28-2007, 03:45 PM
I waffled and waffled between the Options and the Denises and then one day was in my LYS and there in front of me was a set of Denises so I just went ahead and bought them.

I liked the fact that there were more cable lengths than in the Options set and that there were more needle sizes also.

So far, I haven't had a problem with them EXCEPT for when I started something made out of mercerized cotton and for some reason the yarn stuck to the cables and made the needle end pop off more times than I could count.

Everything else has been fine, even Magic Looping.

From what I can tell, there are no perfect interchangeable sets out there -- you just pick one and there are bound to be things that don't work for you for one reason or another. I don't think any set were made to do everything.

Best,
Susan

JoeE
04-28-2007, 04:20 PM
I like the organization of the Denise case a lot. However, the cables are pretty thick. Probably if you work mostly with larger sized needles, or you're a loose knitter, that's no problem at all. I've never knit anything on a needle larger than a US #8, and only once at that size. I hang around the five and six end of the scale for some reason.

I've only had the tip come off of one Denise needle. I was knitting cotton. My stitches were sticking and I was twisting them to get them over the join. The instructions tell you not to do that, so it was my own stupidity. When I've used wool or acrylic, I don't have much trouble with the joins.

After some use, I got to the point that I really liked the feel of the resin (I still say plastic) tips. I used very fine sand paper to work off the ridge where the needle was manufactured in the mold--that microscopic ridge bothered me for some inexplicable reason.

I have Denise, KP Options, and Boye Needlemaster. I use and like all three, believe it or not. I think each set has it's own charm.

brownishcoat
04-28-2007, 06:34 PM
And individual sets can be ordered for each to "test drive" them first, before committing to an entire set. If you really want to know what will work for you, I highly recommend seeing for yourself. Everyone's opinion has been so varied, it may end up being the wisest course.

snowbear
04-28-2007, 07:11 PM
I picked up the Denise's set over 2 yrs ago when I started. I've knitted afgans over 72" w/ those!.. I have the long cables, and added cable's to get the ful length. I was using double stranded ww yarn. IT stood up to that!.. They go w/ me everywhere.. I love them.

I like the resin better because they are quiter, and I can fly w/ them. Airports don't even look at them.

but.. that's my humble opinion

Inis
04-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I only have a Denise set, so I can't really compare to the other options. I like them.

As another poster has said the only problem was the seam line where the mold met in the manufacturing process. I sanded lightly and all was well.

Ellen Edwards
04-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Don't know if it'll help--but my 2 cents--I have the Boye's --was able to get them for less than $40 on eBay--thought they were okay, but the joins didn't let me slide my knitting easily.

SoooI bought the Denise set--which I don't think I'll ever get rid of--I LOVE them....got them for $30 from a good friend on KH. THEN I heard all the raves about the KP needles, so I ordered just 1 cord and a set of # 9 points. LOVE THESE NEEDLES--can't say enough about the way how pointed the ends are, now easily the knitting glides on the points AND the cords, and there is no problem at the joint, plus how LIGHTWEIGHT they are.....the last two of which were most important to me while knitting lace or knitting heavy wool or cotton.

SO I guess, I would get rid of my Boye's if I felt like I wanted to get my money back, never my Denises, and I have gotten almost the whole set of KnitPicks over time, and I find myself using both my Denises and KP's about equally--depending on my project. I never want to get rid of either set of these, and I think, since the Boye's were my FIRST (the virgin set!!) , I'd probably keep them as well! :teehee:

If I could only have one, I think I"d probably go with the KnitPicks--but still cherish my Denises! Guess this helped about

NONE AT ALL! :shrug: :heart:

Shandeh
04-29-2007, 02:56 AM
I have both the Boye and the Denise sets.

The Boye set has a smoother join for me. And the points are smooth, so the yarn glides easily. But sometimes, the points want to come loose from the cords, which is a real pain.

The Denise set has sharper points, so it's better for thin yarns. But the join on the Denises sometimes grabs the yarn and keeps it from flowing well. I like the weight of them though - very lightweight and easy to hold.

I think I would probably like the Options set. It looks first-class.

hydeemarie
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
So pretty much thanx for all of your input!!!

hydeemarie
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I actually have another question... How do you know what length of cable you put on the needles... do they have the lengths marked on the cables?

brendajos
05-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I measured it

hydeemarie
05-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I measured it
Are the denise's not marked??

Paws4Knitting
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
I was like you hydeemarie and I ordered the kp options and ended up sending them back- due to the flaw of the needles coming unscrewed.

I personally agree with Quiltlady and love, love, love the Denise's. They are organized, have a lot of different cable lenghts, and personally, I really like the way they feel. I wasn't to fond of the metal ones. I also liked the lock better on the Denise set- I didn't see them coming undone to much.
I also don't think the cords are that thick. I thought they were quite flexible. My LYS let me sit down and knit with them for a little, ad I really enjoyed it! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

So, I would also vote for the Denise set.

brendajos
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
no the cords aren't marked. the needles are but not the cords.

Jan in CA
05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
There are lots of opinions and comparisons on the dedicated Interchangeable Needle (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30378) thread. We have that thread just for situations like this where someone wants to know the pros and cons. You can also find out about needle lengths for Denise sets and extras on the Denise website (http://www.knitdenise.com/).

All this being said...I have the Denise set, a few of the KP single circs (not the set), a few Addi Turbos and some bamboo. I find that I reach for the KP circs and make an effort to find projects to go with them instead of using my Denise set. Now I do like them, but the cord, while flexible, is too thick IMO and tends to cause drag on some yarns. What I plan to do when it's financially feasible is to buy the Options and then fill in the sizes like 16 in with Addi Turbos because I love them, too.

Miss Moosey
05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I have just put in the order for my Denises, thanks to some Passover gelt from my grandmother.

Three elements tipped the scale for me:

1. It seems like the denise set has a more secure join
2. The denise set has a smaller length cord, which is good for hats
3. Plastic!!! I am one of those people who has very very sweaty palms. I find that metal needles make my hands sweat more, and that sweaty hands and metal needles are a worse combination than sweaty hands and plastic needles (metal needles get squeaky and more gross than the plastic ones)

So I will let you know how they work. I am so excited!

Rebecca

meg9
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I love my denises, mostly because you have every size right there, and can switch easily to a bigger needle to bind off and etc. I probably would not purchase similar needles individually, they aren't a pleasure to work with like addis or my favorite bamboo circs, but they get the job done, and have probably saved me a ton of $$.
I was allergic to the nickel in the knitpicks circs, although strangely enough, the nickel on addis does not bother me.

I remember being a newbie with only 2 pairs of needles and picking patterns to work with the 2 needle sizes I had. My friends (new knitters) were doing that recently with a hat pattern, and it was kind of cute.

GinnyG
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I just ordered a set of Denise today....... I went back and forth between the three. Finally the deciding factor was that my knitting instructor has the Denise, showed them to me and RAVED about the. So even though the popular opinion seems to lean toward the options I ordered the Denise.

hydeemarie
05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I have just put in the order for my Denises, thanks to some Passover gelt from my grandmother.

Three elements tipped the scale for me:

1. It seems like the denise set has a more secure join
2. The denise set has a smaller length cord, which is good for hats
3. Plastic!!! I am one of those people who has very very sweaty palms. I find that metal needles make my hands sweat more, and that sweaty hands and metal needles are a worse combination than sweaty hands and plastic needles (metal needles get squeaky and more gross than the plastic ones)

So I will let you know how they work. I am so excited!

Rebecca
I ordered mine on Sunday night and got them in the mail today! The cords snap on to the cables!!

Braden
05-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I have Boye, Knit Picks Options, and I got a Denise, tried it, and gave it to a friend. I didn't like it. I use exclusively Knit Picks Options.

hydeemarie
05-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I have Boye, Knit Picks Options, and I got a Denise, tried it, and gave it to a friend. I didn't like it. I use exclusively Knit Picks Options.
What was so icky about the Denise set that made you want to give it away? :waah: lol

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 01:14 PM
So, for those of you who knit with the Denise set, do you knit eng or conti?

Jan in CA
05-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I knit english, but it shouldn't make any difference.

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Well I learned english. I knit continental when I knit socks, and english any other time except for when I feel like knitting conti. So when i tried conti with the Denise needles, it was like i was straining them b/c they were bending a little bit when i was knitting. :shrug: :shrug:

GinnyG
05-06-2007, 01:23 PM
My Denise arrived yesterday and I started using them right away. I was a bit concerned when I got an extender stuck on right off the bat but it did come loose eventually.

I'm still getting accustomed to the plastic tip, I usually knit with bamboo or metal so this is a different feel

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 01:25 PM
My Denise arrived yesterday and I started using them right away. I was a bit concerned when I got an extender stuck on right off the bat but it did come loose eventually.

I'm still getting accustomed to the plastic tip, I usually knit with bamboo or metal so this is a different feel
So do you like the needles? Or do you think you should have ordered the options? Do you knit eng or conti? Good lord i'm must full of question arent i? lol :teehee:

puppyluv
05-06-2007, 03:25 PM
I used to be devoted to bamboo, but when I started needing circulars, I decided to buy a kit.
I got the Denise, and I liked them, but I noticed when using certain types of yarn, I had hand fatigue. Mostly from having to move or tug the yarn on the cables.
I think the Denise cables are VERY bulky.
I bought a set of KnitPicks Interchangeables, LOVE THEM.
I still use my Denise set, I love them especially for bulky weight yarns, and I have knit many a pair of felted clogs on them.
But the cables on the KnitPicks are SO fantastic.
I really couldn't get by with only having the Denise set, they just aren't useful for every type of yarn.
I knit much faster on the KnitPicks, than the Denise, when using worsted weight wool, for example.

GinnyG
05-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Well........ I am working on a Wallaby, just got to the part where you add the sleeves to the body. So there are ALOT of stitches on the needles. It does seem as if they do not slide very nicely along the cable :pout: and the cable is pretty thick

I am an english knitter.

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Well........ I am working on a Wallaby, just got to the part where you add the sleeves to the body. So there are ALOT of stitches on the needles. It does seem as if they do not slide very nicely along the cable :pout: and the cable is pretty thick

I am an english knitter.
Yes. I found that when I knit my first and only item on the needles... a hat. I had to keep pushing the sts along. But, it may also have to do with the yarn. I was using worsted acrylic... you?

GinnyG
05-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Cascade 220 :pout:

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Cascade 220 :pout:
So is that worsted weight? Maybe you we are tight knitters? I think that if i knit continental it would maybe help since that usually loosens up knitting for alot of people. :shrug:

puppyluv
05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I was just knitting and realized I should share this story; about why I'm so glad I have my Denise set, even though I prefer the Options!:

I am knitting along on my sweater, and it comes time to put 20 stitches on a holder and knit instead on the pocket inserts. Instead of using a stitch holder, I grab a nice short denise cable, and slide the stitches on, adding a little back endcap on each side. Now when I am ready to add the finishing ribbing on the pockets, I just pop off a black endcap, and twist on a needle tip, and knit right off it.

It made the job much faster. Now yes you can do that with the Options, but they do NOT have tiny little 5" and 9" cables.

In fact, I do not even know where my actual stitch holders ARE, I have used my Denise set for this purpose ever since I got them. It is just so handy, to twist on a needle tip and knit that way.

This just illustrates my point; of why I think all knitters should have both sets, if possible!

GinnyG
05-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes, it's worsted weight. I don't think I am a tight knitter (or a loose one). It just feels like the cable "grabs the yarn. With 366 stitches on the needle that's a LOT of pulling :wall:

I guess after 24 hours with them I am not "sold" yet.

Quiltlady
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
puppyluv, I also recently used the short cords of my Denise seyt as a stitch holder. I think it was a good idea. I didn't want to get up from my chair to go get my "real" holders.
:teehee:
I knit the Continental way and still do not know HOW I learned how to knit...but I'm sure glad I did. :happydance:

DoulaLyndsey
05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I started out with the Denise's and loved them. But I wanted more needle sizes, so I decided to try the Boye set also. I HATED it! It was nice to have the smaller needle sizes, but the cords were way too stiff and the yarn got caught on the the little bend that connects the cord to the needle.

Then the KPO came out and I got those. They are now my favorite! The cords are very flexible, which is a huge plus for me since I use magic loop a lot, and the joins were seamless. Plus, since I'm a tight knitter, the metal needles work better for me. I rarely use my Denise needles now.

Oh, and I knit Continental.

hydeemarie
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Yes, it's worsted weight. I don't think I am a tight knitter (or a loose one). It just feels like the cable "grabs the yarn. With 366 stitches on the needle that's a LOT of pulling :wall:

I guess after 24 hours with them I am not "sold" yet.
Ok. So what are you going to do about it? ARe you going to send them back? Did you like them any better yet or still not liking them?

GinnyG
05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
:shrug:

I don't know... I have knitting class tonight, I'm going to talk to the instructor that cnvinced me to get them. I have noticed that the tips have gotten a bit "smoother" as I have used them.

Knowing how I do things, I'll keep them and then the next time I have a few extra bucks order the Options :roll:

hydeemarie
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
:shrug:

I don't know... I have knitting class tonight, I'm going to talk to the instructor that cnvinced me to get them. I have noticed that the tips have gotten a bit "smoother" as I have used them.

Knowing how I do things, I'll keep them and then the next time I have a few extra bucks order the Options :roll:
So when you say the have gotten smoother is that a bad thing? :shrug:

GinnyG
05-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Nope, it's good. At first they were scratchy.

hydeemarie
05-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Mine weren't like that... well maybe they were and I just didn't notice it! lol. So you are going to keep them? I think I might now that I think about it.... I was thinking of returning them. Now I'm not so sure! :??

puppyluv
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
just my 2 cents here; I'd keep them if you can. I went through the same dilemmas you all are going through, with my Denise set, and ended up ordering the Options, and lately I've found several uses for the Denise (needed a short cord, didn't want to magic loop, and also, traveling with them!) and they're just nice to have around if you need them for those reasons.
Of course I am also a member of the "I must have one of everything club" so maybe it's just me :teehee:

hydeemarie
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
just my 2 cents here; I'd keep them if you can. I went through the same dilemmas you all are going through :teehee:
I can and will keep them I think. Now that i think about it! :teehee:

GinnyG
05-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Yes, I'm going to keep them. I can't imagine many situations where I will have that many stitches on the needle. I suspect that the bulk of the Wallaby is part of the problem, it's the first sweater I've ever done that ALL the stitches were on the needle at once. If I decide to do magic loop I'll buy a circ.