PDA

View Full Version : long tail cast-on on two needles

KnittingNat
04-29-2007, 04:07 AM
I'm interested about the long tail cast-on (my favourite :heart: ). My grandma taught me to cast on two needles, so when you take one of them out, you're left with bigger stitches and then the edge is not so tight and it's easier to knit/purl the first row...Is anyone familiar with that method?

VickyS456
04-29-2007, 05:06 AM
When I first started, that's what I did because I tend to cast on too tight and the first row was always harder to get going. :) I now use circs almost exclusively and if I'm using a yarn that has little give, I'll use a bigger tip and then change it out when I'm ready to do my first row so I have more room to get the needle in there.

Lieke
04-29-2007, 06:24 AM
I still knit on straights and I use that method all the time, especially when I'm knitting socks on DPNS, because socks need that extra space to get them on. But I also use this method when I knit sweaters, depending on the needle size. If the needle size is over 5 mm, I'll use 1 needle, or a thinner needle as the second needle in casting on, because I think over 5 mm extra (from the second needle) makes the cast on look sloppy. So if you want that extra space, but not to much room, you could always add a 2 mm needle to your cast-on needle and take that one out.