PDA

View Full Version : Working with Linen yarn

zkimom
04-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Dear Ones,

I recently bought some linen (Maggi's Linen) yarn at that amazing Knit Happens sale -- you remember the one :inlove: Anyway, I had never worked with linen before and didn't know what to expect. I had planned on making a cute little tank top with it but when I got the yarn I was surprised at how course it is. It's like knitting with sisal.

Has anyone else worked with linen and does it soften with washing and use? I'm thinking I may have to rethink it's purpose and use it for something else.

Thanks in advance!

Susan

MMK
04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I've heard that it softens with washing. I'm using Reynolds Soft Linen which is just a blend, but it really is soft. I haven't used pure linen before.

dreamsherl
04-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm knitting a poncho with linen yarn. It will soften after washing. There is a project in my LYS and it feels lovely.

suzeeq
04-29-2007, 09:49 AM
It also softens up when you handle it, as in knitting.

sue

newamy
04-29-2007, 10:48 AM
It should get softer with every washing. Knit a swatch and wash it, then decide if you still want a tank out of it. The Euroflax web site show many linen knitted garments. So a tank is a reasonable idea for the linen. It is tricky to work with though. I started to make a linen lace scarf- but ripped it out when I made a mistake early on. I need some wooden needlse in the correct size for what I want to do. The linen slides right off the Options.

of troy
04-29-2007, 10:57 AM
linen is stronger, an softer when wet.

mist your yarn to make it moist.. (not wet, but almost.)

it will be easier to knit! (be sure to lie it flat and let it dry between when you are not knitting!)

it sounds strange, but water is cheap, and won't ruin the yarn. try it!

Chel
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Linen is one of my FAVORITE yarns to work with. Euroflax especially.

I like it as much as Malabrigo, but for different reasons. While Malabrigo is a joy to knit with but doesn't wear the best, linen is the opposite. It is rough to knit with. Almost like straw or rough hemp. But the stitch definition in things like lace is EXCELLENT. You finish a project and you wonder will I ever LIKE this? Sure, its BEAUTIFUL, but will you like touching it, or it touching you? The answer is yes, absolutely, without a doubt. Once washed it softens considerably. With use and wear it softens.

This is why so many of great grandmas linen hankerchiefs and hand towels become heirlooms. If they were to be bought new they would lack the quality that makes them so wonderful. This is also why finished linen items are given at weddings-because like a good marriage, linen does not become brittle with wear, it softens, relaxes and becomes something that is a complete joy.

MoniDew
04-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Linen is one of my FAVORITE yarns to work with. Euroflax especially.

I like it as much as Malabrigo, but for different reasons. While Malabrigo is a joy to knit with but doesn't wear the best, linen is the opposite. It is rough to knit with. Almost like straw or rough hemp. But the stitch definition in things like lace is EXCELLENT. You finish a project and you wonder will I ever LIKE this? Sure, its BEAUTIFUL, but will you like touching it, or it touching you? The answer is yes, absolutely, without a doubt. Once washed it softens considerably. With use and wear it softens.

This is why so many of great grandmas linen hankerchiefs and hand towels become heirlooms. If they were to be bought new they would lack the quality that makes them so wonderful. This is also why finished linen items are given at weddings-because like a good marriage, linen does not become brittle with wear, it softens, relaxes and becomes something that is a complete joy.

ooooooooohhhhhhh, Chel! (You're so good at expressing yourself!!)
________
Jailbroken (http://jailbroken.org/)

meearnol
04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Wow, Chel! You make me want to go knit some linen things for my friends who will marry in the next year.

Such a way with words you have! :notworthy:

Chel
04-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Goodness :oops:

Its not me! Its the joy of knitting linen. Honest!

carmabelle1191
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
I just got some Rowan yarn a mix of cotton and linen, and I couldn't knit it on my Options because it was too slippery. :verysad: But once I tried it on my bamboos, it was little tight but ok. The yarn seemed a little strange to work with though, and it stretched a lot. I'll take everyone's word for it though and trust that it will turn out nice and soft and good in the end.