PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT - Making Stuff from an old mink coat

larudden
04-29-2007, 10:58 AM
I FINALLY grabbed the mink that my ex gave me years ago from my younger sister who has been wearing it and was thinking about having it cut up and made into purses and other cool stuff for my 3 daughters. It would be really neat if I could do it myself, but I'm sure it's not nearly as easy as I think it could be.

Is there anyone here who has done this or knows someone that has done this? My budget is not huge for this project which is why I was thinking about learning to do this myself.

I live in the Orlando, FL area so, if there's anyone near me that would enjoy helping me exorcise some old ghosts, give me a shout. I play well with others and would even be willing to share the spoils.

Blessings,
Leslie

Debra Michelle
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Sorry - but I couldn't help think of this charity when I read your post, just an idea. You can deduct the value of the coat on your taxes.

http://www.hsus.org/furfree/campaigns/c4c/index.html

brendajos
04-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I have a couple of beautiful hand made teddy bears that are made from recycled furs. i love them and don't feel so bad having the real fur since they are repurposed furs. :muah:

marykz
04-30-2007, 07:44 AM
teddy bears, fur muffs from the sleeves cuffs, fur collar you can attach to other coats, pillow covers for throw pillows,

Ask a good fur cleaner/storage company if they have recommendations for someone who can work with the fur. If you decide to hang on to it a while, get it cleaned properly and stored carefully.

I have my Mother's fox fur jacket that her mother gave her when she got married and it kills me that it just hangs in storage... but I'm waiting for just the right re-purposing idea for me. (I choose not to wear it.)