PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Toy --from the Knitters Bible

cecebiesanz
04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Howdy all.

I'm working on the Sheep Toy from The Knitters Bible by Claire Crompton. The numbers are just not working for me, and I wonder if anybody else has made this toy?

I cast on 42. Bind of 6 twice. Then I cast back on 6 twice. Then I cast off 6 twice again. Which brings me to 30. The pattern says I should have 20.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Or point me in a direction?
TIA! :muah:

cecebiesanz
05-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Really? No one?

Susan P.
05-27-2007, 06:15 AM
I don't know the pattern but we often encounter patterns with an incorrect instruction or piece of advice. Are you copying *exactly* what the pattern says in your post?? Perhaps give us the exactly pattern requirement if possible and we may spot something :-)

Nobones
05-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Some one posted a while ago they were having problems with this, I think it turned out the pattern was wrong. I've got the book but haven't made the sheep.

There is an email at the beginning of the book, try emailing them, telling them other people have had problems with the pattern can they help?

That's what I'm doing, I can't get the tumbling blocks stitch pattern to work no matter what, I think it's written wrong.

cecebiesanz
05-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys. FWIW, here's more of the pattern verbatim:

Cast on 42 sts, placing markers between sts 11 & 12 and sts 30 & 31. Do not slip markers as you knit, leave them on the first row to use when sewing up.
**Row 1: K1 tbl into each st to end.
Row 2: K1 tbl, loop st into each st to last st, k1 tbl.
Repeat these 2 rows 4 times more.
SHAPE BACK LEGS
Next row cast off 6 sts, k1 tbl into each st to end.
Next row cast off 6 sts, loop st into each st to last st, k1 tbl.
Patt 8 rows.
SHAPE FRONT LEGS
Next row cast on 6 sts, k1 tbl into each st to end.
Next row cast on 6 sts, k1 tbl into first st, loop st into each st to last st, k1 tbl.
Patt 8 rows.
Next row Cast off 6 sts, k1 tbl into each st to end.
Next row Cast off 6 sts, loop st into each st to last st, k1 tbl. *** 20 sts. (This is where I'm off)
SHAPE HEAD
Dec 1 st at each end of next and foll alt row. 16 sts.
Pattern 12 rows.
Bid off lossely by k1 tbl into each st.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try e-mailing them too. Thanks for that tip.

Susan P.
05-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting that up. I can see why you were confused and I suspect it's a pattern error. I hope you get a response to your email soon. Do come back to let us know the outcome.

RiverDaughter
05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh dear, I was planning on knitting this pattern later this summer for a friend's baby. I'm glad someone found the error before I started tearing out my hair trying t figure out what was wrong.

I hope there's a correct version of the pattern somewhere out there, I wubbrs the cute shee so. :pout:

cecebiesanz
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah! I heard back from the publisher. HEre's the correction:

SHEEP TOY

BODY - the last 2 rows of Shape Front Legs should read: cast off 11 sts
not
cast off 6 sts

Next Row Cast off 11 sts, k1tbl into each st to end.

Next Row Cast off 11 sts, loop st into each st to last st, k1tbl. ***
20 sts

UNDERBELLY After 'Work as given for body from ** to *** ' there will be
no
sts remaining so ignore the instructions to bind (cast) off 10 sts.

HEAD - after the last decrease row the stitch total should be 19 sts
not 14
sts.

EARS - second increase row should read: K1, M1, k10 (not k12), M1, k1.
sts

cecebiesanz
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
And also here's a link to where more corrections from this book can be found:

http://www.clairecrompton.co.uk/errata.htm