PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Knitters - CHOOSE OUR CHARITY!!

Shandeh
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I just wanted to offer a
HUGE THANK YOU
to all those participating in the Oddball Blankets and Shawls.
:hug: :muah: :hug:

107 of us are involved in these "Oddball" projects for charity.
:notworthy: :sun: :star: :woot: :star: :sun: :notworthy:
WAY TO GO KH KNITTERS!
:cheering: :happydance: :yay: :grphug: :yay: :happydance: :cheering:

lissalue
04-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Sandy,

How sweet of you to thank us, but the truth is I want to thank you. You have given of your time and stash to start these wonderful blankets because you have a heart that is bigger than most anyone I know. I had been wanting to do some charity knitting, but it is only because of you that I actually did it. So, thanks you Sandy, just for being you!! :heart: :hug:

Melissa

Shandeh
04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
:hug:

HollyP
04-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Ah shucks Sandy :hug: :muah: ! Truth is you are the brilliant mind behind this and we all owe you the BIGGEST THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobi1218
05-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Thank YOU, Sandy!!! For organizing all of this, and making it all possible :)

carmabelle1191
05-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I agree with everyone else, even though I haven't participated yet. We need to say thank you to you! You're the one who spent all your time organizing 5 :noway: Oddball projects! None of us would have participated in these charity projects if it wasn't for you!
:hug: :muah: :heart:

rennfamily
05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree with sending big THANK YOU'S to everyone but especially to you Sandy. You came up with the idea, organized it and have started them. Thanks!

Lucy Fan
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I never would have done this if it weren't for you Sandy. Honestly, I had never considered charity knitting before because I barely have time to knit for myself. But this was too fun not to participate. What a great idea. I hope to participate in another one sometime. Thank you to all who signed up because I couldn't have done this without you and a big thank you to Sandy for starting it!

PaperGirl
05-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with everyone else!

Personally, I would have thrown in the towel (or dishcloth) when the blanket turned into a monkey! But not Shandeh! She just made ANOTHER blanket and kept the ball rolling! :heart: :heart:

Rennagayle
05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Ditto to the other comments, Sandy. I've thought in recent weeks that you must be a natural born leader with a really big heart. :muah:

And speaking of "oddball", is that supposed to describe the projects, or the knitters making them? :?? :mrgreen:

Shandeh
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
speaking of "oddball", is that supposed to describe the projects, or the knitters making them? :?? :mrgreen:

:roflhard:
I think it refers to BOTH! :teehee:

Here is the list of ALL the "Oddball Knitters" :muah:
(the number beside the name shows which blanket(s) they are working on)

Abbily - Shawl
AnreeAce - 2
baronreads - 4
beckyrhae - 2, 4 & Shawl
bobi1218 - 2, 3, & Shawl
BostonBecca - 4
Brrlracinbt - 1
carmabelle1191 - 1, 3 & Shawl
cindyln - 3
cougarchick - 4
Cristy - 1
Dangles - 2 & Shawl
DeAnzaJig - 3, 4
divagirl - 3
ElenTikvah - 2, 3, 4 & Shawl
feminine_earth - 1
GennyLynn1962 - 1 & Shawl
Ginger0104 - 2
HamaLee - 1
HollyP - 1, 4
humblestumble - 2
itsjustmeghan - 2
jamadian75 - 2
Jan in CA - 1, 3
jeanius80 - 1, 4 & Shawl
Jenelle - 4 & Shawl
Jeremy - 3, 4
jhelanee - 1
Jillle - 1
kashadilla - 3
KathyinCali - 1
kitkat - 4
knitknut - 2
knitqueen - 4
knitting4babybear - 1
knittingmom2three - 3
knitwit628 - 4
kristinw - 2
LadyB - 2
lestrella - 1, 3
letah75 - 1, 3
Lisa1216 - 3
lissalue - 1, 3, 4 & Shawl
losnana - 2, 4 & Shawl
lucky_alf2 - 2
Lucy Fan - 1
MarDi - 2
MaryB - 3 & Shawl
mintdee - Shawl
misha rf - 1, 3
mjscott - 1, 3
MommaG - 4 & Shawl
MoniDew - 3
monzogary - 4
newamy - 1
pandaca - 4
PaperGirl - 2, 3 & Shawl
pcrihfield - 4
Pheath - 4
projectgal - 1
Rennagayle - 2
rennfamily - 3, 4 & Shawl
REVS - 2, 4
RiverDaughter - 2 & Shawl
SabrinaJL - 1, 3
Sanibelle - 4
scarlettbegonias1 - 2
Secksiebrat - 4
Shandeh - 1, 2, 3, 4 & Shawl
SharonB13 - 2
stacy.duval - 2, 3
stagebear - 2
Tammy6071 - 1
XbelovedXoneX - 2
zip - 1, 3

Shandeh
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I just won an auction on eBay for a scrapbooking page with a knitting theme. I plan on using it as a cover page for a scrapbook of all our Oddball projects. :cheering:

Rennagayle
05-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh, how cute! :D

Shandeh
05-08-2007, 05:54 AM
I just wish I had some scrapbooking skills. Maybe I should mail it to one of you guys, to make the scrapbook for us. Do any of you want to take on the challenge?

Rennagayle
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
That's one craft I have not delved into. In fact, since my obsession for knitting kicked in, I seem to have left all other crafts by the wayside. :teehee:

baronreads
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
What an AWESOME group of women!! I'm so glad I found this site and am proud to be a part of it!! THANKS EVERYONE!! :hug:

Shandeh
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
What an AWESOME group of women!! I'm so glad I found this site and am proud to be a part of it!! THANKS EVERYONE!! :hug:

We ARE awesome, aren't we! :teehee:

And there is ONE male in the midst of our Oddball Knitters.
Jeremy. :hug:

knitwit628
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
The scrapbook sounds awesome! I would do it if only i had scrapbooking skills :rofl: i have my own scrapbook but its not exactly great. oh well. love the idea though!!!!! :happydance:

Shandeh
05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I guess I'll have to look online for some scrapbooking ideas. All I can do is my best. :)

Something funny has happened with our blankets and shawls.

Two of our blankets and one of our shawls spent time in Washington State at exactly the same time. :teehee:

Rennagayle
05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Two of our blankets and one of our shawls spent time in Washington State at exactly the same time. :teehee:

Sounds like they've got their own little communication going on. :shock:

PaperGirl
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
They are conspiring against us....

Shandeh
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
:rofl:

Some of you have been flabbergasted at how I can keep up with all these blankets and shawls. It's not too bad. I used to be an executive assistant, and had to keep up with several sales managers and projects and other things. So, this is my NEW job. I am now the executive assistant for all of you Oddball Knitters. :teehee:

Today, I made a new blog that shows the progress and location of each of our blankets.

Check it out!
http://blanketfinder.blogspot.com/

Rennagayle
05-15-2007, 01:14 PM
So, this is my NEW job. I am now the executive assistant for all of you Oddball Knitters.

And goodness knows, many of us need assistance! :chair:

Seriously, you do have a gift for this, Sandy. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
:muah: Thank you, Renna! :heart:

Shandeh
05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I just updated our total number of Oddball Knitters.

Now there are 88 of us! :cheering:

Shandeh
05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Since we have added some new knitters with Blanket #5, we now have 92 Oddball Knitters!
:cheering::happydance::cheering:

HollyP
05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
92!!! That's amazing!!!!!:cheering::cheering::cheering::happyda ncing::happydancing::grphug:

Sandy you are a superstar for managing 92 oddball knitters!

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Holly called me a superstar! :star: :)

It is just SO EXCITING to see all the blankets growing and travelling all over the country. Kinda like sending my children out into the world. :teehee:

I'm REALLY looking forward to the day when one of the blankets comes back home for a visit. I'll add the last inch and a half, then put on a border, then get it ready to present to SOME worthy charity out there.

I guess we'd better decide for sure which charity to give them each to. That will be the hardest part, I think. :think:

pandaca
05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Is there a notecard or anything included with the blankets/shawls for each knitter to sign? I was thinking that would be a nice thing to send along with the knitted item to the recipient.

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
That's a great idea, Pandaca. I haven't decided yet what to do for the actual presentation. Maybe we can all brainstorm a good plan.

Shandeh
07-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Now there are over 100 Oddball Knitters!
:happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

(107 to be exact)

snowbear
07-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Uh Shandeh.. not to disagree w/ an executive assistant.. but whjat about the baby oddball blankets?

I realize you didn't start it.. but.. it is a direct extension of you, lol

We're doing great,a nd it is awesome to see them stack up..

As far as oddballs... we are all a bit odd but knitting weaves us all together..lol

Thanks soo much for all you do!

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Not a disagreement at ALL! :hug:

The Baby Oddball Blankets are a joy to participate in as well!

(I just don't have all the names and addresses for that project, so I can't keep a headcount like I do with the others.) :wink:

larudden
07-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Sandy,

How sweet of you to thank us, but the truth is I want to thank you. You have given of your time and stash to start these wonderful blankets because you have a heart that is bigger than most anyone I know. I had been wanting to do some charity knitting, but it is only because of you that I actually did it. So, thanks you Sandy, just for being you!! :heart: :hug:

Melissa

What she said!:muah:

Shandeh
07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Now that our Oddball Blankets are getting longer, it's about time for us to decide who they will be given to:

I have already asked for Amy's blessing, and we have her support. So that's a WONDERFUL thing. :thumbsup:

Some options that we need to think about:

One person in the forum said that we could offer the blankets up for auction, and give the money to charity.
I would rather NOT do that, since that was not our intention from the beginning. If we decide to do something like that, we should start a new blanket, with that as our goal.

So, here are the charity options for the blankets we've already started. They are numbered so we can comment on the options by number:

#1: A Children's Home (orphanage)
I like this idea, because the blanket could be used on their bed, and taken with them wherever they go. Or, it could be kept at the facility to be used for whoever stays there.

#2: A Ronald McDonald House (http://www.rmhc.org/rmhc/index.html)
Goes along with #1, but this is a specific one that seems to be well-established, and it is international.

#3: A Battered Women's Shelter
I would prefer for us to give one of our blankets to a facility that houses women. That way, the blanket could stay at that facility.

#4: A Rape Crisis Center
I'm thinking that we might want to save this idea to use for a lapghan, because I think that size blanket would work better for it.

#5: Habitat for Humanity
I'm not sure if this organization could use our blankets, but I think it would be a nice thing for a housewarming gift to those new home owners.

#6: Pediatric Cancer Units
I don't know if they will take our blankets as a donation, but we can check into it.

#7: Pediatric Hospital
Similar to #6, but a more general option

If you all can think of other options, just comment here, and we'll talk about it.

Keep in mind that our knitters are women AND men, so I believe this charity should benefit both sexes. That's why the children's charities appeal to me.

snowbear
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
I vote #2... I've seen the outpouring of help these houses give.. and this would be a gift of love to those.

I'm not saying the others aren't... Just my choice..

( anywhere love is needed that is where they should go)

Yarnlady
07-28-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd say, research the one that gets the least amount of outside help. There are two Native American Reservations in SD that people knit/crochet/sew for. One gets a whole lot of publicity and is a realtively well off rez. The other, not so much. But the PR department for the first one rakes in the donations.... Of course the second one is the on my family is registered at.

So my vote is to research the charity that gets the least amount of help and donate to them....

Shandeh
07-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Good feedback. :thumbsup:

zip
07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree with Yarnlady - give our blankets to the neediest charities. I'm predisposed to battered spouse shelters (not necessarily women) because victims arrive there with their children, all of whom generally leave their homes in an emergency situation with nothing but what they're wearing. Having a handmade blanket to wrap around themselves and their babies would be just like a hug from caring strangers.

None of these shelters receive public acknowledgement because of the need to keep their locations confidential. I think it's a way for us to possibly begin a type of pass-it-on movement. Most, if not all, of the shelters struggle to make ends meet and are happy to receive any type of support at all from hand soap and toilet paper to beds and refrigerators. Except for my most recent one, dropping off clothing and books and household items are an ordinary step I take when moving.

Organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House have regular corporate sponsors and our efforts will be more likely to go unnoticed.

Tough call, Sandy. If you decide to go with something local such as battered spouse shelters rather than something national like the RMH, maybe a lottery or something among the knitters could determine the locality? just thinking out loud on that one, sis. :hug:

newamy
07-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I agree that a battered womens shelter would be a good choice.
My other thought is a Shelter for homeless youth. The one in my town houses teens and pre-teens, some as young as 10, and tries to provide a home like atmosphere to kids who even when they were at home did not have a home like atmosphere. Some of the children had never eaten dinner at a table with family. Ever. A knit blanket would sure make such a place more homey. It could be used on a bed or as a great afghan suggly blanket on a couch- whatever the shelter thought was most needed. Many cities have youth shelters, some better than others, so again research is needed.

Shandeh
07-29-2007, 01:26 AM
I love all these ideas! :heart:

humblestumble
07-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Couldn't each one go to a different kind of shelter? I mean, I know theres a few blankets being made - why would they all have to go to one specific kind of charity? I'd suggest each one going to the top few on the list - the top few being the ones the majority votes on.

Shandeh
07-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Couldn't each one go to a different kind of shelter? I mean, I know theres a few blankets being made - why would they all have to go to one specific kind of charity? I'd suggest each one going to the top few on the list - the top few being the ones the majority votes on.

That's my plan. :thumbsup:

We have 5 blankets, so we'll have as many as 5 charities.

Dangles
07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Time for a poll, Shandeh :)

Shandeh
07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I want to do that. But I would like to see if there are any more suggestions first, before I make the poll.

HollyP
07-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi my vote would be for a homeless or battered woman's shelter.
They are in the process of building a transitional house for homeless women and children in my community. My church has gotten really involved. I have been really touched by working with some of the women. Most of the women involved in the program have been abused and have no where else to turn. To know our blankets will help make a scary time in a woman or child's life a little less scary and help them to know that they are loved is an amazing thing!

Yarnlady
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
How about if everyone that wishes to, gives you the name and contact for the charity s/he'd like to support, then every month (or whatever is an appropriate time period) one gets drawn out a hat. That way more than one place would benefit and it would be more "personal."

jjminarcik
07-30-2007, 03:51 AM
I tend to be partial to a battered spouse shelter, but that's just me. I do like Yarnlady's idea about supporting all the different ones.

GennyLynn1962
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
All of the choices sound good to me, I do see the point about Ronald McDonald House getting more donations, this is one I donate to myself.

I would like to see them go to someone who would appreciate wrapping up in a blanket, handmade, by people who, if they could, would give them a big hug.

(who/whom??) I never could get that right.:roll:

gmmarton
08-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I would like to support the idea that the lapghans go to a battered women's shelter. So many women taking advantage of a shelter arrive with little or nothing but their children in tow. I have to believe they would love something that would make them - and their children - feel just a little more secure.

Thanks to everyone who knits from the heart.

Gail

Shandeh
04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I have been doing some investigation online to decide who will be receiving our blankets.

Yesterday, I found one that I am definitely interested in working with. It's an orphan blanket drive, called "Covered with Love". They need blankets for orphan cots all over the world. The blankets are collected and distributed by the Global Aid Network.

Sometimes, the orphans sleep in the same bed from the time they are 3 years old until they are 18 years old! :pout:

So, they really appreciate handmade blankets and afghans. It is said that sometimes the children make a game out of playing with the different textures and colors of their blanket. :heart:

How does everyone else feel about this charity?

I received a quick email response from Sherry Stauffer, a Process Manager for Global Aid Network, saying they would really appreciate our blankets! cloud9

Here is their website: http://www.gainusa.org/index.cfm

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I think it is a wonderful charity.

knitttina
04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Sandy,

Melissa

You have no idea how moved I am when I read the post and see what you have started and lead and how blesses I feel every time I'm added to a blanket.

:muah: :pray:

auburnchick
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Sandy,

That's perfect! How will you handle mailing the blankets? I imagine you'll do one large box of several at a time?

Please keep us posted on the $$ required.

Thanks for taking the time to research this. As always, you are very thorough.

:hug:

gmmarton
04-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Ditto that one! I continue to be in awe of your great organizing power. You are truly a person of selfless service, a great role model for all of us.

Constance123
04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
The thanks is from me to you.
It's my great pleasure to do this knitting and I love helping out.
But all the work and record keeping is done by you Sandy. Thank you for thinking of this and carrying through with everything.
Again many thanks.
Love
Constance:knitting:

Shandeh
04-18-2008, 09:05 PM
You're welcome!! :muah:

I love this project. It keeps me busy every day, and always makes me happy. Occasionally I get frustrated with a few little details, but it always works out in the end.

The only thing I really want is to make blankets for charity. It's SO COOL that all of you are willing to help make this dream a reality!
cloud9

I tell you another thing that really makes me happy. Seeing all the "copycat" knit-alongs all over the world, following our model! I've found SEVERAL by looking online. They are all taking turns, mailing blankets from one person to the next, sending small gifts to each other, and giving their blankets to charity!
:cheering: :heart: :woohoo: :heart: :cheering:

losnana
04-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Sandy, I think this charity would be a great recipient for our blankets. Let us know about the cost of shiping, etc. so those who want and can may chip in.

Shandeh
04-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I like it too, because the blankets would be going all over the world! :)

I'm thinking of giving the two lapghans to a battered women's shelter, because they are a smaller size.

But, the fullsize blankets really need to be on a bed. And the orphan cots sound like a PERFECT place for them!

Our blankets are a little bigger than what they usually require, but she said they can use blankets of ANY size. I feel very good about that organization. :wink:

If we make any more large blankets, I think we will make them the size she has on the website. Here is the info from their flyer about the blanket project:

Shandeh
04-18-2008, 09:59 PM
When I send the blankets, I will probably send them one at a time, when they are each completed. That will make postage a lot easier. The GAIN organization collects the blankets in Pennsylvania, so it won't cost that much to send. :thumbsup:

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I like helping women who need it. I am partial to anything for the troops, like Operation Homefront.

gmmarton
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Thank you for suggesting that two blankets go to a battered women's shelter. I love that idea; however, I also like the idea of helping the little ones. Anyway it goes, it will be a "win-win" situation for all involved.

Thanks again!

Constance123
04-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I totally agree with everyone.
Sandy you are the backbone that keeps these little blankets going. I thoroughly enjoy receiving and sending on the blankets, and without your organization it wouldn't run this smoothly.
Thanks for including me.
Constance:knitting:

heatherg23
05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi,

Is there a website that gives information on making the blankets?
There are so many threads about the blankets I don't know where to look.

Thanks!
Heather

Shandeh
05-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi, Is there a website that gives information on making the blankets? There are so many threads about the blankets I don't know where to look.
Thanks! Heather
Hi Heather!

I'm the one that started the Oddball Blanket projects. It began with one large blanket (Oddball Blanket #1), and has grown to include 4 other blankets, 3 lapghans, 10 care shawls, and more than 50 baby blankets!

That's why there are so many websites and blogs. Sorry for the confusion.

If you want to join in on one of our blanket projects, just send me a private message with your name and mailing address, and I'll put you to work! :)

(Most people prefer to work on the baby blankets, because they are faster than the large blankets.)

Here is our main blog, the "Oddball Blanket Finder" (you can see links to all the different blankets there):
http://blanketfinder.blogspot.com/