PDA

View Full Version : OT: Another vacation idea - need input

bailsmom
05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Okay guys and gals, remember when I asked for vacation ideas a while back? And we were leaning towards Hawaii?? Well, even though we really want to go to Hawaii we decided to wait until we can afford for DH to take 2 full weeks off to truly enjoy it. We can only afford to take a full week off this year and since we live on the east coast we'd lose 2 full days just with air travel alone and then theres that nasty time difference :shock: Can you believe I never took into consideration the fact that Hawaii is, what 6 or 7 hours behind us?? I'm such a dork sometimes. :doh:

SO. Here's what we've come up with..........................Niagara Falls.

Waddyathink??? If you've been there, is this a good idea???

Kaydee
05-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I've never been, but I've heard its great. I hope you have a wonderful time!

auburnchick
05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Niagra Falls is beautiful. I saw it when I was a teenager...from the Canadian side, though.

AnaK
05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
It is much bether on the Canadian side.

bailsmom
05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh yes, that's what we've heard too so we're going to see it from the Canadian side also.

dink
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I went to Niagra Falls (both sides) when I was in Jr. High. I loved it. My family took one of the boat tours that gets right up there at the bottom of the Falls. It's beautiful! You'd have fun.

syndactylus
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I like Niagara Falls because it's so close to Toronto!
If you do go there, definitely go to the Butterfly Conservatory!! (if you haven't heard of it.)
It is amazing!

http://www.niagaraparks.com/garden/butterfly.php

brendajos
05-01-2007, 12:00 PM
when are you thinking on going?

bailsmom
05-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I like Niagara Falls because it's so close to Toronto!
If you do go there, definitely go to the Butterfly Conservatory!! (if you haven't heard of it.)
It is amazing!

http://www.niagaraparks.com/garden/butterfly.php

Oooo thanks for that link! Sounds like fun!!

when are you thinking on going?

Late summer to early fall is when DH busy season slows down. Maybe September??

brendajos
05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Do you have passports yet? I hear rumor that the backlog is getting better but last I heard they were waaaaaay behind schedule. My friend was at the post office one day when someone in line was being told they would have to pay an extra $200 to get it expedited (though another friend only had to pay $65 to get hers expedited.)

So if ya don't have them yet, I wouldn't wait much longer! :thumbsup:

ETA: That's assuming you are heading to the Canada side that is. :D

bailsmom
05-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Do you have passports yet? I hear rumor that the backlog is getting better but last I heard they were waaaaaay behind schedule. My friend was at the post office one day when someone in line was being told they would have to pay an extra $200 to get it expedited (though another friend only had to pay $65 to get hers expedited.)

So if ya don't have them yet, I wouldn't wait much longer! :thumbsup:

ETA: That's assuming you are heading to the Canada side that is. :D

Nope, we don't need one if we're driving or taking a boat to Canada. You only need one if you take an airplane. Thank goodness.

brendajos
05-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't know... It looks like they are trying to implement this sooner rather than later but I have no idea where they are at getting it implemented sooner than Jan 1.

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

:shrug:

bailsmom
05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I doubt they'll have it done by this fall. So I'm sure we're going to be fine. Don't worry, I have done my research on the passport issue so I am always up to date with the current information.