PDA

View Full Version : Ready for a challenge..

pure1
05-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi everyone,
I began knitting..gosh, over a year ago now, and I've made several things, including: TONS of scarves, two blankets, leg warmers and a small doll. BUT I've gotten bored and want to try something more challenging..although I admit I'm scared.. :oops: So does anyone have any suggestions on how to ease into more complex patterns..like what should my first "real" project be? (i.e. a hat, sock, purse, etc.) Thank you so much for your help!!! :muah:

susies1955
05-02-2007, 07:17 AM
I was about a month into knitting when I did a sweater. I did a toddler size. Yes, it was confusing once in a while but I had help here and they are so quick to answer.
What is the worse that can happen????? You just have to rip back or something. Everything can be fixed. :)
Have a go at it.
Susie

MMK
05-02-2007, 07:19 AM
A booga bag will teach you picking up stitches and i-cord. Also felting! It is a good first project after scarves or flat work. You can google the pattern, it's a freebie.

marykz
05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
the anthropologie inspired capelet is a nice way to ease into garments, raglans, increases, etc. It was my first "challenge" pattern.

iza
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm a big fan of socks! There are so many techniques out there (dpns, toe-up, cuff down, Magic loop, 2 circs, 2 at a time...) you can't get bored! I think the anthropologie-inspired capelet is also a great idea, and it's been on my list for a while but I have too many WIPs right now. :teehee:

I think in a way the best thing for you to do is to find a pattern you absolutely love, and just go for it! :cheering: If you can knit, purl, cast on, bind off, increase and decrease, you can pretty much make what you want. If you need help, no worries, KH is there for you! :muah:

Inis
05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Me, too! Me, too!

I should have my afghan done by next week (crossed fingers) and am thinking of trying socks. I bought a book ... and every thing ;)

BUT I'm not sure which version - toe up or cuff down - would be best for a newbie. Suggestions?

Curly_Toot
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I think with socks the recommendation is to first try top down, rather than toe up.

From what i can read about socks anyway, i've never felt the compulsion to try one.... and a co-worker said that they can be difficult.

My first wearable garment that wasnt a scarf was the Anthropology caplet... i'm going to make a 2nd one as soon as i finish whats OTN at the moment. The Knit Along thread can be found here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62281.0;topicseen