PDA

View Full Version : Can you read a book and at the same time knit?

Carla1019
05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I have about 5 books on my "wanting to read" list for about 3 years now. (can you tell how long I have been knitting?) I wish there was some way I could read and knit at the same time. Only if I was knitting something easy.

With this question in mind I did a goggle search. I did come across a blog where this lady got a book on tape and was able to finish her sweater at the same time. Not a bad idea. I might have to go to my Library to check out books on tape.

Jill A.
05-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I listen to books on tape all the time. I can't do housework without one!!

I get books from the library, but lately I have been listening to podcasts (about knitting) and audiobooks on my ipod.

If you go to librivox.org you will find a large number of audiobooks - fiction, non-fiction...even poetry. All the books are public domain, which means you won't find the current popular novels but many of the classics. Also - the books are read by volunteers (any one can do it), so some readers have better voices and techniques than others.

With podcasts, you just need to download the iTunes program and select the podcasts you want. All podcasts are free, and they are automatically updated when a new one comes out.

You can listen to the podcasts straight from your computer, put them on an ipod or burn a CD and listen later.

Hope this helps!!

Miss Moosey
05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I can read a book while I'm knitting, but I find that the experience isn't too pleasurable. I need to concentrate looking at my knitting and the pattern, and I drop stitches when I turn the page.

Books on tape and podcasts are awesome! I can't wait for Project Runway to start again so I can listen to Tim Gunn's podcasts as I knit. :heart:

Silver
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I *can* but I don't. Stopping to turn the pages drives me nuts. If I could get my telekinesis down, then there'd be no stopping me!

In the meantime, audiobooks + an iPod is a good alternative to telekinesis. :)

Ronda
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
There is no way could I do that! LOL. I can't even watch a movie and knit at the same time. I can watch TV and knit because TV doesn't require all my attention, but a movie requires my undivided attention! Someone on this board (brendajos?) actually takes her knitting to the movie theater!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Mommy22alyns
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Hahahaaa... um, no. I can barely watch TV and knit. I can't listen to music and knit because my brain follows the music and I mess up the knitting. Maybe I'll get better with more experience!

Eloewien
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I've got pretty bad add... so... yes. Only with large books or hardcovers tho-- paperbacks don't stay open. I'm usually reading and knitting and watching tv. I tend to go nuts doing only one thing...

jess_hawk
05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh this is one of my special talents, I suppose. I have totally mastered watching a movie and knitting at the same time, TV too... as for reading a book (a real one with pages you have to turn) I sit on the floor, hold the book open with my feet, and read that way. I'm working on turning pages with my feet, too. Reading is one of my favorite things in the world but sometimes I want to be able to do some work with my hands while I'm at it.

Stiney
05-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I have a book hug (http://www.bookhug.com/) that holds open my book for me. I can knit and read, just don't do it very often. (The Book Hug has Les Mis on it, which I've been slogging away at for almost a year. I keep it on the kitchen table and read it when I'm eating alone.) I find it works best if I'm knitting and reading things that don't take much brain power.

suzeeq
05-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I can, if the book can stay open. It'd be great to get a page turner, but that only takes a second and I can hold everything in my right hand and use my left for that.

sue

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
If I am doing stockinette or garter then I can do many things while I knit. But only then.

carmabelle1191
05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
No, I can't. I tried reading one of EZ's books and knitting and dropped a few stitches, so I stopped doing that. I can knit and watch movies/TV though. That's usually when I do most of my knitting; I can't just sit and knit (unless it's lace or a complicated pattern), I have to concentrate on something else as well.

Jan in CA
05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Uh... I doubt it. :teehee: I love reading and knitting too much to compromise either so I'll stick to one at a time. ;)

AnnaT
05-03-2007, 12:42 AM
If you go to librivox.org you will find a large number of audiobooks - fiction, non-fiction...even poetry.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this!!! :cheering:

I can't read and knit at the same time, but I would if I could!! I like to read while taking a walk. My husband thinks this is strange. :teehee:

Curly_Toot
05-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I reckon these ladies from Germany could -OMG check it OUT!!!! 2007 Knitting Championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P46o5ysyS1Q&mode=related&search=

tilllie
05-03-2007, 06:25 AM
If it is an easy pattern I can read and knit. I have a book weight that I lay across the pages but I think I need to look into the "book hug" ! Hadn't heard of or seen those

Lieke
05-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, I can do it, but I can only knit without looking at my stitches. I've done it while working on a sock, but well, I don't like it. I do watch tv or movies when knitting. I can divide the attention pretty well, I can even do rather difficult patterns while watching a movie.

msoebel
05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I wish I could manage this one. I am always having to choose between my two favorite activities when I can find a minute or two to spare.

But I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time :oops: .