PDA

View Full Version : OT-Bedbugs?

Miss Moosey
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi all!

I was wondering: do any of you have bedbugs? If so, what to bedbug bites look like? And where do bedbugs hang out during the day?

I ask because I have recently gotten four suspicious bites that have been driving me absolutely crazy. I got them on a day when I hadn't been outside (I was writing a paper). And I live in college housing, so bedbugs are certainly a possibility. I'm just trying to figure out at this point if these are bedbug bites or bites from a stray insect trapped in my room.

Thanks!
Rebecca

bellium
05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.nwleics.gov.uk/pest_control/images/bedbug.jpg
bedbug
http://www.getridofthings.com/images/bedbugA.jpg
bedbug bites

my husband got bedbugs from his old roommate, dirty guy that he was. if you can confirm that you do, in fact, have bedbugs, your college should exterminate them and give you new bedding. blah. gives me the willies. good luck!

Jan in CA
05-02-2007, 11:44 AM
:shock: :passedout:

DQ
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Argh!! Why did i read this thread?! :pout:

dink
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Note to self: before new mattress comes on Friday, when looking for a mattress pad, one specifically to kill bedbugs. :oo:

SandraEllen
05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
they also might be spider bites.

carmabelle1191
05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
:ick: :zombie: :hmm:
When I was little, my family and I went to this museum based around the 17-1800s, and after we saw this old bed filled with straw I misunderstood what my mom said and ended up thinking that we had bedbugs in our own beds. I remember sleeping on top of my mom that night and thinking that I kept feeling little bites. I think seeing them again brings back that fear. :shock:

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Bedbugs are the latest rage. They are making a big comeback. Bedbugs prefer mattress living, so I would suggest a plastic cover that encompasses the entire mattress, then the mattress pad and sheets.

mulene
05-02-2007, 01:51 PM
One way to check for bedbugs is this;

At night (when they come out) turn the lights off, get a bar or ordinary soap and wet it slightly on one side. After leaving the room dark for a bit whip back the duvet or bed clothes very quickly and slap the bar of soap down on the bed repeatedly (all over the place). Turn the lights on and if you get bugs stuck to the bar of soap you know you have bed bugs.

Thats the old fashioned method that used to get used by my parents in Ireland.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug

They are nocturnal, so if you got bit in the day.. its probably some other insect.

Inis
05-02-2007, 01:53 PM
We did a news story on them when I worked in TV.

Bed bugs look like little black specs on your mattress. They're pretty easy to spot. They live off your dead skin cells. Yuck and ick!

I buy only white sheets, wash and bleach them once a week. While the sheets are off, I vacuum the mattress and the pillows. Plus, we get new pillows every 3 months or so.

Doing all this has done wonders for my husband's allergies as well as keeping critters away. :)

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Vacuuming the mattress with the Dyson has really helped our allergies too!

dink
05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Vacuuming the mattress with the Dyson has really helped our allergies too!

---steals boyfriend's dyson :shifty: :teehee:

Definately a good thought. I know when my mattress comes, I'm protecting that thing from anything possible. Bedbugs, water, stains, dust mites, the plague and anything else that could be potentially fatal to me! :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Considering how much they cost, schyeah!

VictoiseC
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Yuk what a HORRIBLE PICTURE! We in New York City have recently had this problem big time. Although it's happening all over... recently a woman and her two children traveled from Mexico to Disney World in Florida. After a couple nights in a hotel there they all had the most amazing amount of bedbug bites... it was a horrid story.

Well you've already got the info. An interesting sidestory to this is this man in NYC trained his dog to SMELL bed bugs and now he goes around to all the hotels making a fortune with his dog! Funny huh?

Inis... I like that tip on changing the pillows often. My husband has terrible allergies (a headache once a week or every 2) and maybe that would help.
I never use bleach on my sheets. but I do hang them outside to dry in the sun and wind.

Miss Moosey
05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks all for the responses!

My bites have begun to go down and I haven't had any new ones. Plus, they are much bigger then the ones in the picture, so they might possibly be spider bites.

I have one of those big, blue, plastic college mattresses. When I did my laundry today I inspected it pretty carefully and didn't see any bugs. I don't think that looking at my sheets will help as they are a dark color and plaid (they were the only pair of extra long sheets that I could find)!

So whew! False alarm! But I will be keeping my eyes open. And if I get any more bites, I'll grab a bar of soap... :twisted:

Rebecca

efsaturn
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
since you haven't gotten any more bites hopefully they aren't bed bugs. But if they are, they are very hard to get rid of and you will need to call an exterminator and they can advised you as to what items you need to get rid of etc.

My bf is an exterminator so I hear a lot about them.

Sara
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Drying your sheets on the line smells really good, Vic, but it can be bad for people who have allergies. Sorry! :pout:

VictoiseC
05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Sara, that's totally news to me! I'll run it by my DH to see what he thinks, I know he loves the smell of sheets dried in the sun so he'll have to choose.
Thanks!