PDA

View Full Version : Booga Bag Felting Question

mimi
05-02-2007, 04:28 PM
I taught my friend to knit a booga bag, and she put it in the washer for only 5 minutes. She didn't know it had to agitate itself into a state of shrinkage. Then she boiled it ! It still didn't shrink, so she put it in the dryer, and it shrunk a little, but after all her work, she is disappointed.

Do you think if she puts it back in the washer and lets it agitate for a half an hour that it will shrink more ? I haven't seen it, but she says the stitches are still visible.

vaknitter
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I went through similar troubles with my first felting project as well .. although it did not occur to me to boil it :??

So I did throw mine back in the washer with plenty of Dawn dish detergent and a couple pair of old jeans and it felted up just fine. All those scrubbing bubbles really worked !

Best of Luck :muah:

TeenKnitter
05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
My thought is, that since she put it in the washer for so short, there's no chance it would felt. Hot water alone won't felt it, and neither will the pure agitation of the dryer. The best bet is to leave something in the washing machine (hot water and agitation), for a long time. I have a front load washer, and my booga bag went through one 1 hr cycle in a pillowcase with a pair of jeans, and it felted just fine.

SandraEllen
05-03-2007, 07:46 AM
she can totally put it back in the washer, but i think after the boiling and the drying that it shouldn't take more than 10 min or so to felt it down.

I find that yarn that I dye (which uses heat to set the dye) felts faster than yarn that I haven't let sit in a pot of hot water.
:shrug:

Sara
05-03-2007, 08:11 AM
I had a pair of mittens that I felted until I liked the look of them, but they were a little loose. Then one day, about a year later, I dropped them in a mud puddle. So I washed them and threw them in the dryer for a bit so I could wear them again, and they came out much smaller. :teehee: It was a happy accident, because they're much easier to wear now that they're a little snug.

Have your friend throw them in the washer with the lowest water level, hottest water, a little soap, and a pair of jeans or two. Be prepared to reset the washer and go through more than one cycle without spinning, some yarns just take longer.

GinnyG
05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
The agitation is a very important part of felting. I finished my bag this weekend (noro kueryon) and actually had to put it through FOUR cycles in my machine before it was felted to my liking.

Sanibelle
05-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I made a booga bag (Noro Kuryeon) a few weeks ago. I used it for a few weeks but I was not happy with it. I put it back in the washer with a 3 paires of jeans. I had the water level on the lowest setting and the water on the hottest setting. One more time through and it was perfect.

Let us know how it turns out!

Lynn