PDA

View Full Version : Selveges - 2 questions

cookworm
05-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I have a question to ask, then I have a problem that I need help with, both dealing with selveges.

First of all, my problem:
I'm working on a pattern that tells you to k1tbl on the first stitch as your selvege, then, on the last stitch, it tells you to sl1wyif as your other selvege. The end where I'm k1tbl is really nice--very uniform and tight--but the side where I'm sl1wyif looks loopy and sloppy. The item in the pattern looks the same both sides, so what am I doing wrong? Is it possible that I can k1tbl on both edges, or would that screw things up? Also, when I'm supposed to sl1wyif, I was assuming that I should slip as if to knit, but maybe, I'm supposed to slip as if to purl--would that make a difference in the way it looks?

Secondly, my question:
What's the difference in the way that some patterns tell you to do selveges--are there ways of working some that are better for one effect, and some that are better for another effect? What I mean is, maybe for example, would you work a selvege a certain way because it's more stretchy or something like that?

Better put: Let's say you are knitting a piece of fabric that you want to have straight edges on it. How do you determine what kind of selvege to do and why do you choose that one?

marykz
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I only have input for Q1:
I'm pretty sure you should slip as if to purl. I have a scarf pattern that K1tbl at one end, then slip purlwise when you turn around. it makes a nice edge.....

I'm interested in the answer to the other Q too

LoAnnie
05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Your first question: I agree with marykz, you should slip the stitch as if to purl with the yarn in front.

Second question: Selvedge is always going to be hidden, so I don't know that there is a better way for certain things, but I may be wrong.

LoAnnie

CarmenIbanez
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I tend to think that whatever is easiest to seam is what makes sense. And that is determined by the knitter who has to do the seam. When I design a pattern, I always just call it an "edge stitch" and let the knitter decide how they want to do it. Now if you are knitting something with an exposed edge, then it isn't really a selvage, and the pattern probably wants you to do something specific to make it look a certain way.

CarmenIbanez
05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
I tend to think that whatever is easiest to seam is what makes sense. And that is determined by the knitter who has to do the seam. When I design a pattern, I always just call it an "edge stitch" and let the knitter decide how they want to do it. Now if you are knitting something with an exposed edge, then it isn't really a selvage, and the pattern probably wants you to do something specific to make it look a certain way.