PDA

View Full Version : Color question

cookworm
05-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Some time in the future, I'd really like to make this (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=209024). I'm probably not going to be able to get this yarn which bugs me, because I think it's the reason the FO looks so pretty, :verysad: so I need some help with regards to color choice.

From what I can tell from the picture, their yarn has multicolor strands twisted together which gives the FO a beautiful effect. If I were unable to find the exact kind of yarn (different colored strands twisted together), which do you think would look better--variegated yarns, or solid colors? From a distance, the FO has a solid colored yarn appearance, but up close, you can see the detail in the yarn, so I'm not sure which would be better. I'm leaning towards solid colors, but wasn't sure if maybe variegated would be a better choice to give some depth to each row, or would variegated be too "loud"? I think the yarn they use--although multicolored--shades so beautifully from one color to the next.

auburnchick
05-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I think it depends on what you want this to look like. Do you want the effect of striping? If so, I would go with the solid colors or maybe even a self-striping yarn.

JMHO

Abbily
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I LOVE that pattern! I wonder if you could do it in something from Noro? Their colors are just SO incredible.

jeanius80
05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
you could use either option, but the look would be different. you could use any self striping yarn, like noro or the new plymouth boku (its very similar to kureyon)
another option would be to do this two stranded, one solid and a coordinated stripped yarn, you would get a similar look. hope this helps. i got a copy of thier flyer too when i ordered some yarn, it is very pretty!

Jan in CA
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
The yarn shown is only $2.48 a skein. I don't think you're going to find anything cheaper. :shrug:
Adara Yarn (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Adara&Cat=&ProductType=5&Count=1)

cookworm
05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
The yarn shown is only $2.48 a skein. I don't think you're going to find anything cheaper. :shrug:
Adara Yarn (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Adara&Cat=&ProductType=5&Count=1)

You're right Jan--it's quite cheap. I just didn't want to have to use a credit card is all...I was hoping to be able to pay cash for the yarn. Unless I can mail in a payment of some sort rather than use a credit card........ :thinking: :twisted: :happydance: Plus shipping is like the cost of three balls of this stuff. I wish s&h wasn't so expensive on catalog/internet orders. :pout:

auburnchick
05-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Paypal???

Jan in CA
05-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Paypal???

You use a credit card for paypal and she said she didn't want to use one.

You're right Jan--it's quite cheap. I just didn't want to have to use a credit card is all...I was hoping to be able to pay cash for the yarn. Unless I can mail in a payment of some sort rather than use a credit card........ Thinking Twisted Devil Happy Dance Plus shipping is like the cost of three balls of this stuff. I wish s&h wasn't so expensive on catalog/internet orders. Pouting

I agree. I think someone is making money on shipping. :doh: You could check their site and see if they accept checks, but you'd still have the shipping. What you need to consider though is the difference in price. If you pay cash for something locally you'll have tax and the extra cost for the yarn itself. It may balance out so the shipping is negligible in the long run.

brendajos
05-04-2007, 02:52 PM
i don't know, that shipping charge doesn't seem that far out of line for what is being charged these days. if you find a place that doesn't charge shipping or offers really low shipping they are usually making up for it in the price of the product itself. doesn't seem like a huge price to pay for yarn that you really want i guess. :shrug:

You could always use paypal through your checking account. don't recall but seems like you don't need a cc for that?

PinkRoses
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
OMG, I love the color of it! That's my kind of style. Very pretty! I love multi-colored knits.

debinoz
05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Paypal has a bank card/ checking account option as well.

auburnchick
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Paypal has a bank card/ checking account option as well.

Yes, I have mine set up this way too. I don't charge what I don't have to.