PDA

View Full Version : OT: Diamond ring? CASE CLOSED - page 5!

Silver
05-04-2007, 07:26 AM
My daughter is in 7th grade. Her birthday is coming up (she'll be 13), and there's a boy who has been vexed by her for quite a while now. Sydney said he's a nice kid, doesn't get in trouble, but she's not interested in him. Yesterday he came to school with several birthday gifts for her. A leather bracelet, a stuffed animal, ribbons, stickers etc. But one gift has left me rather concerned...

A (possibly genuine) diamond ring. Husband and I have examined this under a microscope and we both think it may be a real diamond. If so, this ring is probably worth $1000.

There wasn't even any hesitation on my part... we can't keep this. If it's real, it HAS to be stolen. And if it were mine, I'd want it back. We can't keep it.

We don't know this kid or his family. We made a best guess as to his phone number using the phone book and school zone area, but the number just rings and rings.

I don't want to get him in trouble, but I'm thinking maybe we should report it to the police? What would you do?

meearnol
05-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Holy guacamole, kid! If that thing is real, I agree that it must be stolen (and nicer than any jewelry a guy has ever given me, and I'm twice her age :pout: ). That being said, I think it would be a good idea to take it to a jeweler to determine if it's a real diamond before you do anything. It shouldn't cost anything to do that.

I don't have kids, so I can't give any "something similar happened to my daughter" advice, but if I were in the situation, and the ring proved to be a real diamond, I would call the school's guidance counselor before calling the police. They would have a better chance of getting a hold of the kid's parents, and they may also know if the kid is in a situation where he *would* steal a ring to give to a girl.

Or maybe he's just been singing your daughter's praises to his overly-generous parents, and they bought it. Unlikely, but that would be cool. :roflhard:

rennfamily
05-04-2007, 07:34 AM
OH Kristen that's a horrible situation to be put in. I'd try the phone number a couple of times today and if you still don't get an answer maybe contact the principal at school. Maybe he'll have a way to get in touch with the parents and if not then I would go to the police. I wouldn't want to get the boy in trouble either but that's a pretty big valuable to go missing.

Silver
05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Good idea about calling the school.

The other problem is that I need to approach this carefully. I don't know if someone I talk to about it is honest, whether it's the kids parents, a guidance counselor, whomever. I mean, if someone called and said I have a diamond ring that I think might be stolen, what's to keep them from saying Oh yeah, it's mine... bring it here. Even if it's not theirs?

If it's legitimately just a lost ring, that the kid found, gave to my daughter and no one claims it... uh, we want to keep it!

Ugh. This is crazy. I kinda hope it's a fake... but I don't think it is. The cuts are all crisp and sharp, there is a little inclusion in the stone... looks real.

:doh:

Ingrid
05-04-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't think I'd go to the police first, since you don't know where the ring really came from.

If you go to the school, it's likely that they won't give you the boy's number because of privacy issues, but they might.

They can, at least, contact the parents themselves. If he took it from his parents, then they can handle it. If you think they might lie about it, have them describe it to you.

PinkRoses
05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
:passedout:

I agree that you should call the school first. See what they say and see if one of the counselors is familiar with this boy. For all you know, it could be his Mom's ring that she doesn't wear anymore or it could be the ring of his Grandparents. Or, like you said, he could have just happened to have found it somewhere. You just never know. I personally would hold off on calling the cops until you have exhausted all other measures. Though if the school has no answers, they may just go ahead and call the cops regardless.

GennyLynn1962
05-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Kids that age sometimes go to extremes with a first crush, but a diamond ring?

I would definately wait on calling the police for a couple of reasons. First, he's awfully young to have something like that on his record. Second, I would worry about his reaction of getting in that much trouble, if it is stolen. I would try to contact the parents, and go to the school to see if they have a way to get in touch with them, if they have caller ID they may not answer the phone if a number appears that they are not familiar with.

In the meantime I would take the ring somewhere to see if it is real, there's a lot of jewlery that looks so much like real diamonds that it's hard to tell. Also, does the ring, especially the band, look used? If it has scratches or dullness it is more than likely used.

Good luck!

Oh, you could check with Andrea here on the forum, she is a police officer.
:shrug:

quiltbugj
05-04-2007, 07:58 AM
MY first guess would be that he got it out of his mom's jewelry box and she would want it back!

auburnchick
05-04-2007, 08:09 AM
I think my first concern would have been, "How serious is this kid???"

That's pretty scary for that age. How does your daughter feel?

Now, I think that I agree about going to a guidance counselor. But I think that I would approach it as a relationship concern first. Check into whether that diamond is real before sharing your concerns that it is stolen. If you find out it is real, then let the counselor know that. They can run interference between you and the other parents.

Oh goodness...I SO feel for you since I have a 7th grader and a 9th grader. Only difference is that my 7th grader has no interest in girls...probably because he has an annoying older sister.

Please keep us posted!

Silver
05-04-2007, 08:11 AM
I know... it's probably his mom's ring. I'm not getting my hopes up. I want to do everything I can to get it back to the owner. If it were mine, I'd be heartbroken. I personally couldn't keep it without trying to return it. Even if his parents don't know anything about it, I'll contact the police to see if its been reported lost or stolen.

And the band is a little dull, so it's not a new ring.

This isn't the first time this has happened. She's been given rings before, but they've all be fake. Not even real gold.

Silver
05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
I think my first concern would have been, "How serious is this kid???"

That's pretty scary for that age. How does your daughter feel?
She was surprised, but I think it was just a gift, nothing more. She doesn't like him that way and she said she doesn't do anything to lead him on.

She also said he's a pretty good kid, and hasn't gotten in any big trouble at school. Just once for fighting, but that's because he was being picked on.
:shrug:

gingerbread
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
First of all if you don't want to go the jewlery store if it is real it will scratch glass. If it is fake it won't do anything to the glass.
I hope you find out who it belongs to that is some ring!
Teri

Abbily
05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, everything I have has already been said... I was going to bring up the 'it will scratch glass' thing, and also put in my vote for calling the school guidance counselor (or principal, maybe?) as a first step before calling the police. If whoever you talk to does jump in with "Oh, it's mine, bring it here!" you can always ask them to describe it. If it's not theirs, they won't know the cut, etc. Another reason to bring in the school is that I would think this escalating attention might at some point, if not already, make your daughter uncomfortable.

Good luck with whatever you do! I have two daughters, ages 3 and 5, and I am just so terrified of what lies ahead... :)

Carey

Kaydee
05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't go to the police, like some others said its probably his mother's that he took from her (not that it makes it better). He may have taken it from her because she doesn't wear it anymore, and he might not have realized that its something you're not supposed to do. I had a friend once that used to give me presents he took from his mother (but we were younger, around 1st or 2nd grade). My mom let his parents know what was going on and returned the things to them. I would try his number again, then maybe go to the principal or school so maybe his parents can come in and sit down to talk about it.

Jan in CA
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I would call the school, too. Although that does look like a real diamond ring, there is the possibility that it's not real, too.. some of the fakes look pretty darn good now.

This kid obviously has a serious crush on your daughter. I hope she can let him down w/o hurting him too much.

PinkRoses
05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm interested to see how this works out. I'm hoping it doesn't have too bad of an outcome. I obviously don't know that boy but I kind of feel bad. We all know what it's like when you're that young and when you're really trying hard to impress a crush. I esp. felt bad when you said your daughter said that he's not a bad kid but that he had been picked on by someone else before.

arrosa
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow, in 7th grade, they're handing out diamond rings!!?!?!?!?!?!? What is this world coming to.....

I would find out for sure about the ring athenticity, and then I would make your daughter give them back to him. I think, the boy, might take it as her leading him on, if she accepts it, even if not real....

I have a 6 year old, goodness knows, what boys will be handing out them...I shudder to think :wall:

debinoz
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
My 14yo's boyfriend wanted to buy her a promise ring for her birthday. I told her in no uncertain terms that if ANY boy gives her a ring she is to return it to him immediately.

Contacting the school is most likely the way to go first. They can probably take care of it with out any embarrassment to either of the kids.

jodstr2
05-04-2007, 04:46 PM
aw Kristin, idk what to say. all good advice has been given in this thread.
good luck with everything, I hope for a smooth outcome.

carmabelle1191
05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Interesting. That's a odd for that boy to do that, though we did have a boy in fifth grade give his grandmother's necklace to this girl because they were going out, and I thought that was odd too, though this is much more serious since it appears to be stolen. What I would do is try to contact the parents first, and ask them about any missing jewerly, has your son been acting odd sort of thing. I don't think you should contact the police, and shouldn't contact the school until you have the parents involved and are ready to sit down and talk about it all together. It is serious that he's stolen it though, and you should definitely make it known to someone about what this boy's done.
That's just my two cents. Whatever way you choose to deal with it though, let us know and I hope it goes well! :hug:

Pixywhispers
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh I feel old fashioned giving this answer but here we go.

If this happened to my daughter my husband would simply return the ring to the young man and let him know our daughter is not ready for what the ring insinuates. It would also be a time for my daughter to know that she can count on her dad to handle things like giving guys the message that she is not interested. Because some of them dont get the message from just the girl. Sad but true.

I think he probably got it out of his moms jewelry box, past love. And if he were given it back hopefully he would return it. I wouldnt get the police involved.

Sara
05-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I would contact the school guidance counselor.

And I would ask DD to give him back all of the gifts. It's obvious that he has some heavy feelings for her, it might not be good to encourage him at all. :shrug: DH might make a bigger impression on him, though. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Agree, call the school; let them handle it.

madametj
05-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I would contact the school guidance counselor.

And I would ask DD to give him back all of the gifts. It's obvious that he has some heavy feelings for her, it might not be good to encourage him at all. :shrug: DH might make a bigger impression on him, though. :teehee:

i was about to say that. i think if it happened to me or my sis, my mom would make us give everything back. (personally i'd be pretty creeped out. :oo: ..)

ChrissyB
05-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. If he is a "pretty good kid" maybe you should start by talking to him? Or your daughter talking to him? But I would also say, if he is that obsessed with your daughter, he should probably be referred to a school counsilor, etc. And it would probably be a good idea for her to give the gifts back, but not in from of other kids, wouldn't really be good to embaress him. I almost feel bad for the kid, he is latching on to your daughter for some reason. Anyway, good luck.

Silver
05-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you everyone for your input!

Hubby and I have decided that we will keep trying to contact the parents before getting the school involved. If we can't contact them within a few days, we'll try the school just to contact the parents. We'd both rather keep as few people in this as possible.

I've talked to Sydney about this and about the boy. She said that he doesn't act weird around her or bug her too much. She said that she is friends with him, but she doesn't like him as a boyfriend. And he doesn't make her feel uncomfortable. She said he's just a nice boy that's friendly with her, not a stalker. So... I'm not going to make her return the gifts. I don't see a point in that. It would just upset them both. They were birthday presents, not "I'm obsessively in love with you" presents. Besides, they get out of school on May 24th and they won't see each other again all summer.

But, I still want to get this ring back to the owner, so I'm not giving up. I'll keep you posted...

Andrea
05-05-2007, 09:52 AM
What concerns me is that if it IS stolen, even from his own mom, I worry for this boy's future. I've seen younger kids do worse, but I still think I'd tell my daughter to keep her distance from him. :shrug:

I would do anything I could to get it back to the rightful owner. And unless he stole it from someone other than his mom, it's not a police issue. Let the school figure it out, then they can call the police if need be :shrug: No reason for you guys to have to get involved in that.

KnitClickChick
05-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow, that certainly does look real!! How things have changed... I remember being in 5th grade, and there was this boy who liked a couple of girls, me included. He just left $20 and a note in our desks! :teehee:
As said before, this boy may have taken it from his mom. That seems a possibility since it looks a bit worn. I would just keep trying to contact the parent/s before getting the school involved. Definitely not the police at this point.
Even if it isn't real, and it ends up he didn't steal it, I would consider making your daughter give that back. If he has a crush on her, giving her the ring might have a deeper meaning to him than just a nice birthday gift. I'd be worried that if she keeps it, he would think she felt more than friendship for him. A diamond, even a fake one? I don't know... I am a pretty untrusting person. There are a lot of kooks out there, even if they don't show their kookiness. Just my paranoid 2 cents.

Silver
05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Update:

Confirmed by a jeweler, it is real, and it is 3/4 ct in size. :shock:
The jeweler was even shocked. It's worth at LEAST $3000. OMG!!!!!!

We're determined to return this ring. Someone is heartbroken, and we can not stand that. We've called every number in the phone book of the kid's last name, either no answer, or no jr high kid. I will call the school on Monday.

iza
05-05-2007, 02:11 PM
:passedout:

KnitClickChick
05-05-2007, 02:26 PM
:thud: holy smokes!!!

jodstr2
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
:shock: ai sos!
good luck with everything Kristin, and may it find its way to its owner soon.

snowbear
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
:?? Ok... my ex didn't even pay that much for my ring...geaaazzzzzzzz

I would call the school asap. They may have an unlisted #.. or use cell phone's instead of home #.s

Good luck hun.. I agree.. it has to be given back.

cando
05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I was just wondering.. can't your daughter ask the kid? And get a number for his parents from him too?
Like you said, the fewer people involved the sooner the ring goes back to its rightful owner.

Good luck!

lestrella
05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
:passedout: I've been with my husband for almost 15 years and I don't have a diamond ring.

Can you ask your daughter to introduce you to the kid and talked to him directly? Once you get to meet this boy, you might get a better idea abound handling the situation. I would try to talk to him and his family even before getting the school or anyone else involved. Don't let him know right away that you think he stole it. Just tell him that you are concerned about it because is a very expensive gift to give to a friend.

Maybe the kid comes from a very rich family and he actually bought it; maybe the parents got a divorce and mom didn't want the ring anymore. Who know? It could be so many things.

Best of luck!

dawnk777
05-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Geez, that's bigger than my diamond, and bigger than I would want, too! Sheesh! Keep us posted!

auburnchick
05-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Confirmed by a jeweler, it is real, and it is 3/4 ct in size. :shock:
The jeweler was even shocked. It's worth at LEAST $3000.

:verysad:

Gosh, what a burden! Let us know what the school says.

Silver
05-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Gosh, what a burden! Let us know what the school says.
That is exactly how I feel. It's crazy to be upset about a diamond ring landing in your lap, but this isn't like I won a prize. :(

I just want it to go back to the owner. I can't stand the thought of someone crying over this lost ring!
I don't want to get the boy in trouble if he just gave it as a naive gesture of friendship.
I don't want this to get out at school and cause problems for him or my daughter.
I don't want to get the police involved unless absolutely necessary.
And I really don't want to accidentally give it to someone who isn't the owner. I'm not going through this trouble to just hand it over to a charlatan.

Braden
05-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Woah!

Jan in CA
05-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Is it possible to tell the school you'd like the parents of ____ that you'd like them to contact you with a personal matter regarding the children? That way they school wouldn't have to give out the phone number and you'd be giving them permission to give out yours.

IF you don't hear from them then of course you'd have to take it further by telling the principal or guidance counselor. I'd lean toward the principal though if this becomes necessary and I'd tell him that you'd like to have a conference with the other parents. :shrug:

PinkRoses
05-05-2007, 05:04 PM
In my opinion, there is no way that your daughter should keep this gift. Once it was determined that it was real, it put that much more seriousness into the story. :thinking:

Braden
05-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I agree with Lisa.

SimplyKaar
05-05-2007, 05:10 PM
And I really don't want to accidentally give it to someone who isn't the owner. I'm not going through this trouble to just hand it over to a charlatan.

What a story!! Sorry to just barge in like this after having been gone for so long ... but I may have a solution to this:
Are there any markings on it, things that make it unique? Is it cut in a certain way, how many carats is it etc?
You could ask the people to describe those characteristics before handing it over to anyone, or maybe ask to see a picture of the ring itself or of someone wearing it. Just to make sure.
I would think noone would object to this, especially when you explain why you are asking for a tiny bit of proof.

I have no idea how to deal with the getting in touch with the parents part because from what I know, the schoolsystem and such are a lot different from what they are here, exept maybe your daughter could ask the boy to ask his parents to call you?

good luck in finding a good solution here!

Silver
05-05-2007, 06:28 PM
In my opinion, there is no way that your daughter should keep this gift. Once it was determined that it was real, it put that much more seriousness into the story. :thinking:
She knows she's not keeping this ring, and I think I've already explained pretty well that we're trying to return it to the rightful owner. But there is no way I'm sending my daughter to school with a $3000 ring and saying "just give it back to him". I owe it to the owner to make certain that it is kept safe until we can put it back in her hands.

auburnchick
05-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Kristin,

I agree with you 100%. Call the school and talk to a guidance counselor. I'm sure they will work with you to get in touch with the parents. They need to know what their son did. They may know where the ring came from. If that were my son, I would want to know that A) he gave a girl a $3000 ring, B) Where the heck did he get the ring to begin with, and C) What's going on in his head.

I work at a school, and guidance counselors are very discreet. They're not going to say anything that would get out to the other kids.

Oh, and if the parents don't know where the ring came from, I would take it to the police. If that were my ring, I would have filed some kind of report about it.

twowackykids
05-05-2007, 10:34 PM
This is a perfect time to mention that whenever you get a really nice, or just sentimental, piece of jewelry, it's always good to have it engraved with some sort of identifying information. Anything such as a name, date, or word that you're not going to forget would work.

When my DH proposed, my ring was already engraved with a serial number. While it might not be as romantic as say, the date we got engaged, or another message, if my ring was ever to get lost, we would definitely be able to prove that it was mine with out a doubt. And since the jeweler has a record of the ring and stone in it, if I ever need to file an insurance claim, we know exactly when it was purchased, what material it was made out of, and all of the information about the diamond, so we could get it replaced.

I think you're doing the right thing by trying to work this out through the school and with the kid's parents directly. I think a lot of parents would have overreacted and called the police right away with out finding out what was actually going on first. I never read off-topic posts, but I'm so glad I read this one.

twowackykids
05-05-2007, 11:07 PM
This is a perfect time to mention that whenever you get a really nice, or just sentimental, piece of jewelry, it's always good to have it engraved with some sort of identifying information. Anything such as a name, date, or word that you're not going to forget would work.

When my DH proposed, my ring was already engraved with a serial number. While it might not be as romantic as say, the date we got engaged, or another message, if my ring was ever to get lost, we would definitely be able to prove that it was mine with out a doubt. And since the jeweler has a record of the ring and stone in it, if I ever need to file an insurance claim, we know exactly when it was purchased, what material it was made out of, and all of the information about the diamond, so we could get it replaced.

I think you're doing the right thing by trying to work this out through the school and with the kid's parents directly. I think a lot of parents would have overreacted and called the police right away with out finding out what was actually going on first. I never read off-topic posts, but I'm so glad I read this one.

syndactylus
05-06-2007, 01:29 PM
No advice, just wanted to say you sound like such a great mom, happy early mother's day!

I hope it all works out!

Silver
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Update!
So, we called the school and spoke to the guidance office. Apparently, word travels fast and they were already aware that this kid gave Sydney a ring. They already questioned him about it and he says he bought it from a kid outside the school for $5 because he said it was a fake diamond. :shock:
(They also know about his infatuation with Sydney, and also think it's a harmless crush.)

Hubby told the counselor that the diamond is real and needless to say, she was surprised too. As far as I know, the kid still thinks it's fake.

So hubby asked the counselor to still contact the kids parents and discreetly ask if they're missing a piece of jewelry. If they say no, it's on to the next step...

We'll contact the police and let them know we have "found" a diamond ring and see if anyone has claimed it lost or stolen. After that... well... :shrug:

Any other suggestions? I have wanted to get this back to the previous owner, and never really considered that it might just be a lost ring. But is there a point when you just have to say "finders, keepers"? I REALLY appreciate everyone's input on this. Thank you so much! :muah:

GinnyG
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
WOW!!

Poor kids, what a pickle!! At this point it sounds as if the boy was acting in complete innocence. I suspect the kid he bought it from took the ring from a family memeber (who must be missing it terribly). I think I would turn it over to the police and let them handle it. It doesn't sound like the little boy did anything wron, he was acting in good faith under the asumption that it was fake. The police will have better luck at finding the rightful owner.

If it is truly a lost ring and no owner can be found I believe the poice will return it to you if it is unclaimed.

My fear about turning it over to the parents might be, with all good intention, they might try to sweep the whole thing under the rug.

Good luck and DEFIANTELY keep us posted.

auburnchick
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I wonder if the boy knows who sold him the ring. THAT would be the next logical step, unless of course he's lying about that part of the story.

At least you are starting to get somewhere.

PaperGirl
05-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I wonder if the boy knows who sold him the ring. THAT would be the next logical step, unless of course he's lying about that part of the story.

Thats what I was thinking. :??

zip
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
meh. kids lie, same as adults. If he were mine, I'd want to know what had happened. I strongly recommend asking for a meeting with his parents and the school counselor. It happened at school, so the school should remain involved. Get everything out in the open; it could prevent later regrets. The police don't need to become involved unless the young man "can't" remember who sold him the ring. < - - ahem. like I'd believe that.

PinkRoses
05-07-2007, 04:53 PM

I completely agree with this.

I also think Silver that you have certainly taken the right steps to get this resolved. What an amazing story. I've worked in local police dept.'s for 13 yrs. now and I've never heard anything like this.

Silver
05-07-2007, 05:14 PM
CASE CLOSED!

His mom called and described the ring to a "T". It's her engagement ring from a past marriage. And she is very happy that we are going to return it. :)

I am VERY happy to know who to give it back to. What a weight off! It's weird being upset about a diamond ring, but it just bugged me every time I looked at it.

Oh, and the kid has done this before... she said it's been a few years, but he did take something of hers before to give to a girl. She didn't elaborate. But... kids. *sigh*

Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice. You're totally awesome! :heart:

iza
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
What a relief!!!! :passedout: Ah kids... Obviously this poor mom will have some work to do with her son. If he lied about it, it means he knew it was wrong... yet he did it anyways! :shrug: It's a bit sad, hopefully he will get the attention he needs.

This being said, it's not your problem anymore! :teehee:

Pixywhispers
05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I think he probably got it out of his moms jewelry box, past love.

I knew it! <giggle>

Glad it got figured out!

Silver
05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I just got back from returning it. She said she has been crying all weekend over this. I didn't think I'd get emotional, but when I handed it to her, she started crying, and that made me start crying.

Wow... I'm so glad it's back where it belongs!

BinkyKat
05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
And congrats to you and your daughter. She could have not told you and many people would have just kept it. You trained her right, and perhaps when all is said and done, if he truly is a good kid with his head a little loose but his heart sort of in the right place - you can be confident that your daughter sounds like she's really on the ball. Good job Sil, you are awesome! :muah:

dakatzmeow
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
i'm late to the party, but so glad you pursued this and found the crux of the matter. wtg! :hug:

auburnchick
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
I just got back from returning it. She said she has been crying all weekend over this. I didn't think I'd get emotional, but when I handed it to her, she started crying, and that made me start crying.

Wow... I'm so glad it's back where it belongs!

Wow! How wonderful that you two could share tears together. This thing we call "parenting" can be terribly difficult.

So much for being a "good kid" though.

Glad everything is settled. :hug:

madametj
05-07-2007, 08:12 PM
:cheering: Glad everything worked out. :happydance:

Kaydee
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Yea!! I'm so glad everything worked out alright for everyone. :cheering:

efsaturn
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, what a story and the mystery continues.

zip
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Silver, you did great! :cheering: You never lost your cool. I admire that. Not sure I could've done the same.

I have to wonder if her past marriage is past because she's widowed. Either way, I love happy endings. Thanks for sharing!

And big congratulations on your new in-person class. I've been lurking during tax season, and am finally on vacation this week. Didn't want to jump in when I could only peek in every third or fourth day.

ecb
05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
I know that my Engament ring has been lost a few times
had it evcer been stollen by one of my kids I would be a WRECK
but i am so glad tht the recieving party (on MANY leveles) were SUCh very good people
thank you for the potential
etc
you know what I mean

ecb

DQ
05-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm glad everything worked out for the best. :hug:

jodstr2
05-08-2007, 11:17 AM
glad everything worked out. :hug:

bailsmom
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
That mother needs to buy a safe!! :teehee:

Abbily
05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow, I'm glad you were able to find a resolution and find the owner of the ring! Good for you for sticking with it- you have obviously already done a WONDERFUL job of parenting your daughter, and you are teaching her an invaluable lesson through your handling of this situation. Good job, mom!

Dangles
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
:cheering: Good job, Silver. You're a great parent and person!

dawnk777
05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm glad it all worked out and the rightful owner got the ring back!

larudden
05-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow! What a story! I'm so glad it had a happy ending. It's amazing how kids work sometimes.

I'm reminded about the time my youngest took my little bag containing all the jewelry her dad had given me during our 20 yr. marriage. Suffice it so say, it was many thousands of dollars worth of stuff, rings, earrings, loose stones,). Anyhow, I called her dad and talked to his wife about it. They went in Alli's room and there it all was! The only thing I didn't get back was a loose amethyst I had bought years ago to have made into a pendant for my oldest, born in February.

When I asked Alli why she took it, all she said was "I figured you didn't want it anymore." Oh, and she was 16 or 17 at the time.

UGH!

kemp
05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Glad it all worked out.