PDA

View Full Version : Frogging?

AnaK
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
When knitting a project has anyone else realized it won't be right and decided to frogg it? I mean late in the process, with the item almost done.
I am not that happy with the project I am knitting and am thinking of frogging it.:frog: :??
I just hate to trow hours of knitting away but the yarn is pricey to just not wear it. :wall:

cheesiesmom
05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I've frogged pretty late in the game if I wasn't happy with the way the project was going, but no one can beat my mom for tearing stuff apart. Her favorite knitting projects were intricate aran, icelandic, and fair isle sweaters, usually for my brother so they were pretty big (he was tall and broad shouldered). She would finish a sweater and then decide it wasn't "perfect" then ripped the whole thing apart and start all over again. Sometimes, she'd do it more than once. She was retired so if a sweater took 6 months, she didn't care as long as to her mind the finished project was flawless.

Kaydee
05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I knit about a foot of a baby blanket before realizing that I had made a major mistake in my first few rows. I was heartbroken, but knew if I didn't frog it all it'd look horrible. Sometimes its just better even though its tough to do. Good luck.

sara_jayne
05-04-2007, 02:02 PM
If you don't like it or won't use it then frog it. :shrug:

AmandaC knit the Starsky cardigan from Knitty; she even wore it but decided the fit wasn't right, so she frogged the entire thing.

It is better to reknit it or use the yarn for something else that you'll be happy with so you can truly enjoy your work.

nadja la claire
05-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I made a skirt with malabrigo that just doesn't fit right so when I'm ready to knit something else with it I'm going to go a froggin. I mean I can't waste 3 and 1/2 skeins of Mmmmmmmmmm.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Jan in CA
05-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I recently frogged and almost done baby sweater. The yarn is crappy and it won't knit evenly. I kept thinking I could live with it, but I couldn't. :wall:

KathyinCali
05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I just frogged a shrug yesterday knit entirely in rib. I knew I was never going to wear it and wanted to double the yarn with another so I frogged away.

michellebreton
05-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I think I can claim the prize on this one! Around Thanksgiving I finally finished a sweater (seamed and everything) that I had started 12 years ago. When I went to try to wear it, I realized that it really came out too big. I guess I didn't know enough about gauge when I cast on! Anyhoo, I decided to frog the whole thing and reuse the yarn for something else. :frog: I knew I just wouldn't wear it the way it was and couldn't see wasting perfectly good yarn :fingerwag:

Michelle

Debbie
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
One of the things I really love about knitting is that if you don't like something you have made or it does not fit ... you can frog it and
TA DA ... instead of a UFO, you now have a skein (or 7) of yarn. A half made quilt just stays a half made quilt, a bit of really cute cross stitch .. is just that ... a bit... and don't even get me started about almost finished sewing projects ... Anything I am spending my time making, I am always enjoying the process ... so I don't mind frogging ... but I do mind the half done cross stitch birth announcement of my 24 year old son :)

AND .. no one will ever know we have ill fitting or un-finished projects ... when our kids have to "sort" all the things we have left them ....our fame will be our HUGE stashes of nice yarn balls ... hmmm ... wonder why great great great Grandma Debbie never kept the labels on all this wonderful yarn ... it has never even been used !

kellyh57
05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I've been contemplating frogging an afghan I started a few months ago. I was so into it and really liked it, but the further I get, the more I don't like it. It's only about 9" x 45" but that's a lot of work. I haven't worked on it for a LONG time and just don't have an urge to. I never found a pattern that I fell in love with and just found one that would work for what I was wanting. Then I decided to stripe it and I made the stripes to small so I'm changing every 20 rows and it's just annoying. (I didn't buy enough of the 1st color- what was left on clearance- so I bought a 2nd color to stripe.)

As soon as I find a better pattern and get some more important things done, I'm goin' a froggin'! (That sounds like something little boys would LOVE to do....real frogs of course!)

Kelly

losnana
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I frogged an entire sweater when it was nearly done. The yarn is much happier as an afghan.

Braden
05-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Her favorite knitting projects were intricate aran, icelandic, and fair isle sweaters, usually for my brother so they were pretty big (he was tall and broad shouldered). She would finish a sweater and then decide it wasn't "perfect" then ripped the whole thing apart and start all over again. Sometimes, she'd do it more than once. She was retired so if a sweater took 6 months, she didn't care as long as to her mind the finished project was flawless.

I'm just like that ;)

auburnchick
05-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm going to frog the first sock in a pair (and it's completely done). I figured out that it is a bit too big. :wall:

So I've already started my second sock, and it's turning out to be a much better fit. I just DREAD taking that first sock apart and starting over on it, but I know I'll be happy when it's done correctly.

suzeeq
05-05-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm still not finished with a tank top I made completely about 3 times, and the last time, have ripped out the top part another 3 times. I need to try it on now and see if it's actually done this time.

sue

KnitClickChick
05-05-2007, 07:10 AM
I am a big frogger. If something doesn't seem right, or I just don't like how it has turned out, a froggin' I will go. I have been working on an afghan for months, and just can't seem to get it just the way I want it. The very first shawl I made, I was a few rows away from being finished. Well, I was sitting on the couch with my boyfriend, and he happened to bump me and I dropped a stitch. It was this really funky yarn, and for the life of me I couldn't fix the booboo. :pout: So I just ripped the whole thing out which was about 75 inches long. I went back a few weeks later and started again, finished it, and have never even worn the stupid thing. I am actually thinking of frogging it again to make something else.

JoeE
05-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm in awe of froggers. I just can't do it. I'm OK with tinking a row or two, but so far I have convinced myself that I can live with any mistake I didn't notice sooner than that. I enjoy knitting, but my desire to finish a project forces me to push along.

I'm knitting a sock right now that will have some odd looking stitches picked up along the heel flap. I'm telling myself no one but me would ever notice and most of the time it'll be hidden by my shoe. I was well into the foot before I noticed how weird those 5-6 stitches are. It looks like I picked up a loop from two stitches instead of both loops of a single stitch.

Frog on, you brave Knitters (with a capital K).

Mommy22alyns
05-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm in awe of froggers. I just can't do it. I'm OK with tinking a row or two, but so far I have convinced myself that I can live with any mistake I didn't notice sooner than that. I enjoy knitting, but my desire to finish a project forces me to push along.

Me too. :oops: :oops: Imperfections make it unique, right? :teehee:

suzeeq
05-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Me too. :oops: :oops: Imperfections make it unique, right? :teehee:

So unique you couldn't wear it? If I make something and it doesn't fit, I am not going to give it away, I'll rip it out or find another pattern until the yarn makes something that does fit that I like.

sue

Jax3303
05-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I once frogged a completely finished a lace shawl. I wasn't entirely happy with it, so I picked out my woven in ends and frogged the entire thing.

I've also frogged finished pairs of socks and countless other projects that were almost finished and I just frogged them because I didn't like them anymore.

kellyh57
05-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Small imperfections I usually let slide. I figure that's what let's you know it's homemade xxx . Nobody except me is going to notice 1 or 2 off stitches. Large stuff I frog back to the mistake or start over. I'm horrible at getting the stitches all back on correctly, so I usually end up just ripping it all and starting over.

Kelly

nadja la claire
05-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Because she doesn't really know how to fix mistakes, my best knitting buddy is always frogging stuff. She's so impatient and such a perfectionist, I've tried to show her how to fix stuff but she doesn't always remember.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

cookworm
05-05-2007, 04:13 PM
but I do mind the half done cross stitch birth announcement of my 24 year old son :)

:rofl:
For my two oldest (before I knew how to knit), I had started crocheting baby afghans for them in single crochet, never progressing beyond the scarf size. Knitting is so much easier for me...if only I would've known how to then! :doh:

I just frogged a project I was working on, and wound up taking the unused yarn back to the store and getting something else. It was a really hard decision because I had invested the time and work into the partial project, but the more I looked at it, the more I hated it, and the worst part of it was, it is going to be a gift when I finish it, so if I hated it as the knitter, I can't imagine how the poor recipient would've felt: "Ummm...gee....this is...really.....what's the word? Oh...'nice'. Thanks..." :teehee: I would say to frog it, especially if the yarn is pricey. Hopefully, you can reknit something very beautiful that you will fall in love with.

AnaK
05-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Alredy started on the new pattern last nite.
It is looking much bether.
There were no mistakes in the old one but the fit wasn't right.
The stitch pattern stretched too much in the certain areas, if you know what I mean :oops: