PDA

View Full Version : OT: Oregonians.

Dangles
05-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Planning a trip in the Portland area.

Where are some places to go see, things to do? Oh and that are kid friendly :)

Thanks.

orcoastknitter
05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
When are you going?

Dangles
05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Probably this Wednesday? :)

orcoastknitter
05-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I am about 170 miles southwest of Portland. But I am going up there next month for my birthday (and to the Yarn Harlot's Book signing).

I know there are a few knitters around the Portland area that can help you out.

Have fun!

newamy
05-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Portland has many fun things- But get a map! The Zoo is west of Portland on HWY 26, it's a nice zoo and pretty big, though I haven't been there in many years, famous for their elephants. There is a train ride you can take there and for an extra charge a butterfly exhibit. The Max line now runs to the Zoo so if you are staying near one that might be the way to go. On the East Side by the Willamette River is OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) they have lots of cool hands on science stuff. Usually one special traveling exhibit - not sure what is there now, a planetarium, an Omnimax theater, and a submarine that you can take a tour of. If your kids appreciate reading you can't miss a visit to the big main Powells City of Books on Burnside. It's quite possible to spend hours there and they have a large childrens section. Further south in the Sellwood area is Oaks Park a small old and locally famous amusement park. The original Spaghetti factory is a fun place to eat- on Macadam Ave (sort of near Oaks Park). But it usually does often have a big line.
South of Portland in Salem is the AC Gilbert's Children's Museum and just south of Salem is an amusement park Called the Enchanted Forest.
All these places should have web sites- just Google them. Sorrry I didn't make links.
I moved away from Portland 8 years ago- before I learned to knit- but there are also oodles of yarn shops and I have not visited most of them.

This week has been very cold and rainy- I hope it warms up for you by next week-but pack some jackets!

Dangles
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Newamy, thanks for the info.

We're used to this kind of weather :teehee: So the rain, cold weather does not phase us.

md21
05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Check out the Saturday Market for sure! It's huge with a ton of stuff to look at, and it's open Saturday AND Sunday. Take advantage of the Fareless Square on the MAX; there's a stop for the Saturday Market. Basically, you can travel anywhere downtown for free. For a good place to eat, check out the Old Spaghetti Factory or the Montage. Have fun!

Michele
05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I was just in Portland over the weekend. I didn't get very far from the convention center and Double Tree hotel this time, but I would have to second the recommendation to visit OMSI. We went there in November and the kids loved it. Also, I always HAVE to eat at Burgerville. They have several locations. Sweet Tomatoes is really good and healthy too. It's great for kids because it is all you can eat, but it's all salad/pasta/soup/desseret etc.

Wrennn
05-07-2007, 08:25 PM
The only thing I can think to add is the Children's Museum. It's near the downtown area. I don't exactly remember where, my kids are older & it's been a loooong time :teehee:

OMSI is still a favorite. They have different programs that come thru & the Kendall Planitarium. They also have an IMAX theater that's awesome! The submarine that was used in Hunt for the Red October is docked there & open for tours.

If the weather's decent the Portland Rose Garden is beautiful, it's near the Oregon Zoo. Lots of room to run or toss a frisbee. The view of the city is beautiful!

Hope you have a fun time here with your family :happydance: