PDA

View Full Version : Waaaaaayyyyy OT

bailsmom
05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Anyone ever use the Thigh Master? You know the one with Suzanne Somers?? If you have, did it work??

I'm not looking for a quick fix, just a little more variety with my exercise routine. It's a little stale. Thought I'd ask before wasting my money.

Thanks!!

zazzu
05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Anyone ever use the Thigh Master? You know the one with Suzanne Somers?? If you have, did it work??

Oh yeah, I still use mine about three days a week. It really works those inner thighs (and there are so few exercises that do).

I got mine on sale at Big 5 a few years ago. Can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't more than $15.00 or so (may even have been ten). :D

samm
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Yup! I like mine. I got it in a pile of leftover stuff in a store years ago, for three dollars! It does work the inner thighs well, and you can knit and use it at the same time! I also use mine for my arms and it's great for that, too. 'Cept that you can't knit and do that. :teehee: samm

bailsmom
05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Really?? That's so good to hear!! Does it help the outer thighs too?? Or just the inners?? Trust me I need both!! :teehee:

Phretys
05-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Would it be sad if I said I still have mine that I bought around 20 years ago? My daughter thinks I'm too funny/weird.

You can use it on your arms. Hold one end near your chest; while holding the other end with your other hand, flex your arm towards your chest.

You can use it for your abs, too. Balance one end near your knees and hold the other end with your hands near your chest, and push down.

Debi :D

KnittingNat
05-06-2007, 07:39 AM
I actually saw some of these on ebay for 3-8$. do they really work or is it just another toy they trying to sell? I have a bit of thighs that i'd like to strengthen, not to loose weight. Will it work? Anyone actually saw results?

bailsmom
05-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I actually saw some of these on ebay for 3-8$. do they really work or is it just another toy they trying to sell? I have a bit of thighs that i'd like to strengthen, not to loose weight. Will it work? Anyone actually saw results?

So did I, that's why I started this thread. I guess for that small amount of money it wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't work well. But to me its worth a try.

I've been doing those callanetics exercises and while it is a tough workout on your thighs it seems I could be doing more......we'll give the thighmaster a try!!

KnittingNat
05-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't know... even for 3$ it's about 20$ shipping for me, so i'm not sure i want to spend this money on something that might not work... Maybe i'm just lazy? :??

auburnchick
05-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't think it would work on the outer thighs simply because of the way you are exercising your muscles.

To exercise your outer thighs, you need to press your thighs outward against the weight. Although, if you release your legs slowly, then you would be working them a bit too. Kind of like when you do bicep curls. You get a workout as you go up, but part of the exercise is in bringing your arms downward. That's the negative resistance, or something like that.

You could work your outer thighs by getting down on fours and lifting your leg outward (sideways)/upward (while bent). Basically any movement where you tighten your thigh muscles to move the leg outward/to the side will work those muscles.

bailsmom
05-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't know... even for 3$ it's about 20$ shipping for me, so i'm not sure i want to spend this money on something that might not work... Maybe i'm just lazy? :??

Ahhh yes, Miss Jerusalem!! That would be rather pricey. I still think it is so cool that you live in Jerusalem!!! :teehee:

I'm an odd duck if you haven't noticed!! :teehee: :teehee:

bailsmom
05-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't think it would work on the outer thighs simply because of the way you are exercising your muscles.

To exercise your outer thighs, you need to press your thighs outward against the weight. Although, if you release your legs slowly, then you would be working them a bit too. Kind of like when you do bicep curls. You get a workout as you go up, but part of the exercise is in bringing your arms downward. That's the negative resistance, or something like that.

You could work your outer thighs by getting down on fours and lifting your leg outward (sideways)/upward (while bent). Basically any movement where you tighten your thigh muscles to move the leg outward/to the side will work those muscles.

Yeah, I was wondering if it would work the outsides, but I still need the help on my insides!!

KnittingNat
05-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Ahhh yes, Miss Jerusalem!! That would be rather pricey. I still think it is so cool that you live in Jerusalem!!! :teehee:

I'm an odd duck if you haven't noticed!! :teehee: :teehee:

No... you're not the odd duck :) I am :teehee: Just kidding :) It's a hot place to live, that's for sure. These days we have a heat wave, so today it reached 37C... So i'm almost fried duck :roflhard: :roflhard: :rofl: :rofl:

And only three weeks ago i was wearing sweaters and coats...

And you're always welcome for a trip to the Holy Land...

KnittingNat
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
And still, does it work? :??

zazzu
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
And still, does it work?

Yes, on the inner thigh muscles. Not on the outer thigh muscles or butt. If you use it on your arms, it would work your pecs really well. I prefer to do other exercises for that area.

I've used mine for about four years now....only for the inner thighs. The older I get, the more help I need in that area. :roll:

I didn't want to pour cold water on the Ebay idea, since some people LOVE Ebay, but really, really check those shipping fees. :wink:

bailsmom
05-06-2007, 11:30 PM
And still, does it work?

Yes, on the inner thigh muscles. Not on the outer thigh muscles or butt. If you use it on your arms, it would work your pecs really well. I prefer to do other exercises for that area.

I've used mine for about four years now....only for the inner thighs. The older I get, the more help I need in that area. :roll:

I didn't want to pour cold water on the Ebay idea, since some people LOVE Ebay, but really, really check those shipping fees. :wink:

That's not pouring cold water on anything, that is you being helpful! That is a very good thing to point out. I noticed that some of those shipping fees are insane. :!!!:

Kaydee
05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but I read (and I've actually seen it in a fitness magazine too, I think it was Self)this (http://www.fitatanysize.com/article/10-most-ineffective-exercises.html) article about the 10 most ineffective exercises. The first one says: "Adductor Machine -- The adductor machine is the exercise unit that you sit in while placing the inner part of your legs against a pad. You then push the legs toward each other, with the goal of reducing your inner thighs. Maybe you perform 20, 30 or even more reps to affect the area. This exercise will not reduce your inner thighs. Youíd need enough resistance to create an impact on the muscle, so more than 15 reps arenít going to accomplish anything. More importantly, itís not the best range or plane of motion (direction) to affect the inner thigh."

This is basically what the thigh master does, so I'm not so sure if its going to help much. Just a thought before you get one.

KnittingNat
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Now i'm all confused :shrug:

bailsmom
05-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know if I believe that at all. Wouldn't that mean then that lifting weights doesn't build muscles?? Because for me, lifting weights has helped strengthen my back quite a bit.

I think a little bit of everything will keep you healthy.

Kaydee
05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't know if I believe that at all. Wouldn't that mean then that lifting weights doesn't build muscles?? Because for me, lifting weights has helped strengthen my back quite a bit.

I think a little bit of everything will keep you healthy.

I don't know...I was just putting it out there though because I've seen the article in more than one place :shrug: