PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT rant about Hobby Lobby

PaperGirl
05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
:!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

I had to run into town last night for some last minute things for DHs flight today. I decided to stop in at HL to pick up ONE needle that I needed. ONE needle.

They had the 50% of sale going, and the location was right by where I had to go...so no biggy.

Wrong.

The cashier was RUDE to me and totally screwed up my purchase! The needle and the stitch markers she rang up full price, and didnt give me the sale price on the ONE ball of Sugar & Cream I bought too. My total was over 9 bucks, and I asked her..."Wasnt this 50% off?"

She looked at me, checked the flyer taped to the counter, actually sighed, and said..."Yeah, I guess you want a adjustment dont you?"

Ummm..yeah I do. Its only 4 bucks in the grand scheme of life, but four bucks is four bucks! I hate when people get all put out cause THEY messed up! And I thought honestly, I was pretty nice about it!

It wasnt till I signed the refund slip and walked out to my truck that I noticed that the S&C was listed as $1.49 instead of $1.19 like the flyer said.

:doh:

Braden
05-06-2007, 02:09 PM
That's why I don't go there. Over half of the cashiers have been very rude because I'm a male teen knitter.

brendajos
05-06-2007, 02:13 PM
eh that's not why they are rude. I am not a male teen knitter and I have rarely had friendly service at Hobby Lobby. I still shop there because they often have the best selection of the other stuff want (I don't do much knitting shopping there anymore since I have pretty much everything they have already! :rofl: ) but I don't expect to be able to find someone to help me or to be treated well when I am giving them my money.

I have a feeling they aren't paid terribly well and that it is fairly strenuous and sometimes stressful work. Not sure it is an excuse really I guess but certainly makes it more understandable for me. I don't know what their salary is but I have always assumed it isn't too much more than minimum wage.

aineepooh1
05-06-2007, 02:16 PM
BUMMER PAPERGIRL~ :pout:
I am very lucky b/c I am within 3 miles of Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joanns so I can pick and choose all the time.
YOu were right I would have taken it back for my refund too... They are SLOWLY becoming more high tech ( now they have debit/credit POS ) so that customer can punch in their pin or credit card instead of the clerk printing off thepaper for you to sign for them.
I hate to complain TOO much about them b/c 50% is a really good deal but I agree she was rude... was it close to closing time and she didn't care anymoret??? :wall: :wall:
I have worked retail and been on both sides of this equation she may have been just tired and didn't care anymore (If you choose to go back and it happens again I would definitely call and complain)
I go to HL at least 1 w/k and I always get a c ertain clerk who looks at my merchandies before she rings it up and she get IN A HURRY and I have to WATCH her b/c I have caught her mistakes before ( I ddn't get MY discount) :doh: and I pointed it out to her and she looked annoyed...
OH WELLL~~ It's on sale I want it on sale..
the only other reason I can think of is that HL needs to make their equipment more up to date so the merchandies scans and you don't have to worry about human error misringing your order~
Sorry that happend.. I hate poor service
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

snowbear
05-06-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree totally. If they advertise a sale.. they should honor the sale.. I've had rude clerks.. go it's only..... such & such.. So I requested a manager.. right then.. refused to do anything else w/out one.

The manager came I advised the manager what the clerk said. Needless to say I didn't win friends w/ the clerk.. but the situation was corrected.. ( 3 items not checked correctly)

I wrote to the corporate office. but no reply.. I guess they really don't care.

I try not to go there, and haven't been there in months.. I use Michaels.. and Jo-ann's... if I have to..

Usualy I just use online shopping...It's worth waiting & paying shipping just not having to deal w/ clerks like that..

Hugs to ya...

bailsmom
05-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry, but they have no right to be rude to anyone no matter what they are getting paid. I've worked at plenty of jobs that paid for crap and I was ALWAYS nice to the customers.

That is how I was raised, you are to be kind to people, especially if I'm the one that screwed up the transaction!! I'm the one who apologizes to the customer, not roll my eyes at them and sigh.

I'm so tired of people justifying rudeness just because they get paid for crap. It's just plain wrong. Get another job that's not in customer service for heaven's sake. :roll:

okay, rant over. :flirt:

knitwit88
05-06-2007, 02:39 PM
The first time I went in trying to find my first pair of needles, I asked 1 of the employees where their needles were. She pointed off in some vague direction and walked off.

Lighting57
05-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry you have all had bad experiences at your local HL. So far, I have had no trouble at mine. When I reach the counter with half off stuff, I put just that item on the counter and tell them it is half off. They'll check their flyer and after they ring that up (and only then) I'll place the next item on the counter. I like to check each item as it is being rung up no matter what store I am in because if I load it all on the counter first they always ring it up so fast that I can't keep up with it. When that happens, I ALWAYS find an error. It ususally is after I get home. A few dollars error might still be only a few dollars, but to me that's another skein of yarn, etc. that I could be taking home and not money thrown away.

ironmaiden
05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I can't stand rude people in general. It's certainly not limited to HL - I encounter rude cashiers at least half the time when shopping, whether it's for clothes, crafts, or groceries...

I know a lot of jobs are thankless, and that sucks, but it's part of the job to be decent and polite to customers, at least the ones who are decent and polite in return.

Braden
05-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry, but they have no right to be rude to anyone no matter what they are getting paid. I've worked at plenty of jobs that paid for crap and I was ALWAYS nice to the customers.

That is how I was raised, you are to be kind to people, especially if I'm the one that screwed up the transaction!! I'm the one who apologizes to the customer, not roll my eyes at them and sigh.

I'm so tired of people justifying rudeness just because they get paid for crap. It's just plain wrong. Get another job that's not in customer service for heaven's sake. :roll:

okay, rant over. :flirt:

Exactly! If they're rude, they run the risk of losing you as a customer, and then they will get paid less and less, so maybe they should think about that once in a while!

Doublereeder2
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Customer service has become a way of the past in many retail businesses. And you can call me a cynic if you want, but I think the stores purposely keep the wrong price in the computer and if the consumer does not notice, it is just too bad. The company makes it's extra few pennies on each of us and that amounts to a huge amount when multiplied by the number of customers. I always have to watch at the grocery because something invariable rings up wrong.

Or maybe the people at corporate who input the price changes in the computers are just incompetent. Irritating, to say the least.

Our HL never has enough checkers and the ones that are there do not seem to happy to be there. I try not to go there if I can get the item elsewhere.

kellyh57
05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
On the flip side, I've heard of HL having mis-marked merchandise by $20-$30 ($2.99 instead of $29.99, etc.) and the cashiers don't do anything about it since "that's what it's marked." I think it's pretty sad that they rely on such an outdated system. The store is really too large for the cashier to know all the prices and sales.

Speaking of watching to make sure things ring up correctly, I really hate one of the grocery stores here. They use the cards and it doesn't gove sale prices until they scan the card at the end. I went last night to get some awesome sales, but if the certain type I got didn't count, I didn't want it. I was really annoyed! Ah, technology!

Kelly

jess_hawk
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I hate rude cashiers. I work register at my job, and I admit that once or twice I've gotten a bit snippy with a particularly rude customer, or if I'm having an extra stressful day and its getting to the point where each thing that goes wrong makes me want to cry/beat whoever made the mistake. However, if I catch myself slipping to being rude I stop, take a deep breath, apologize to the customer and explain that I'm having a very stressful day and I'm just ready for it to be over. The worst was the day we had an ice storm and the whole town ran out of a bunch of stuff people needed, like generators and gas heaters. I was trying to stop each person at the door because I didn't want them to have to walk all the way through the store only to find out that we were out of what they wanted (I had a list of the items) plus we had almost the normal number of regular transactions. I was working at least twice as hard as usual and several people were extremely offended that when they walked in the door I asked them what they were looking for (I wanted to smack the man who was still annoyed even after I explained why I had done so. but I didn't). If I can go through a day like that and still have some sort of (albeit haggled) smile, other people should be able to handle a standard day.

Inis
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I've been lucky. The HL closest to me has great employees. They've even checked the back for more yarn in the same dye lot, done special orders and rain checks, etc.

I really wish they'd update to new technology, too, but a clerk at my local HL hypothosized that they never will due to their moral philosophy -- what ever the heck that means.

Speaking of which, I really wish they'd open on Sundays.

cando
05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh that sucks! :hug:
I too have had similar experiences with Hobby Lobby and Joann. So now, I always tell them which item is how much off and they check against the flyer. If the cashier says its not discounted I just leave it rather than go back and check or pay more than I planned.
It's a pain to check everything they punch in but atleast I don't walk out of there pissed.

suzeeq
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
I've been lucky. The HL closest to me has great employees. They've even checked the back for more yarn in the same dye lot, done special orders and rain checks, etc.

I really wish they'd update to new technology, too, but a clerk at my local HL hypothosized that they never will due to their moral philosophy -- what ever the heck that means.

Speaking of which, I really wish they'd open on Sundays.

They won't because the corp is very Christian. I guess that means they're Luddites too, if they won't use new technology.... :teehee:

sue

PaperGirl
05-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Sadly, as I was looking there, I noticed that they rearranged their yarn selection to be ALOT easier to locate what I want...AND...they got ALOT of Lion Wool....I was debating on going back for some for some clog felting for my nephew..

Jo-Anns here...crap. Never anything there that I like or need.

Michaels....now I found ALOT of Patons SWS and Lion Brand....Im thinking I may head over there next time and grab some SWS for my next project.

BinkyKat
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I notice our HL moves their yarn around a lot. Every time I got it seems like it's being moved around in the same group of rows :shrug:
One of our good friends works there and other than that, she's the only truly nice one. I haven't been treated rudely, but I notice that depending on the day, the checkers seem to lapse into a lot of conversations amongst themselves....like between lanes over your head like you're not even there. And although they do ask for people to come to their registers, there is usually only 3 or 4 open on any given day and they'll still be 5-10 people deep and going slower than molasses. It seems at our HL they are always stocking, moving, inventory-ing, etc. Not a lot of eye contact unless you are at the frame shop or fabric area :??
I did have to return something once...omg, set aside an hour for that issue :wall:
I've been in retail and customer service all my life and I get jabbed for being too nice or that I "take too much sh!t from people" but I cannot abide by being sarcastic, rude, or oblivious to people. You get what you give and I get really frosted that customers think we are their whipping posts. I do feel like the "customer's always right" addage could be amended a little because many take advantage and think the only way to get their way is to be rude, but that comes from people being forced to come out of the stall kicking because they've had rude service before.
Sad state of affairs... :pout:

brendajos
05-07-2007, 07:56 PM
:!!!: ugh i am fully irritated by "the customer is always right" because it is completely not true. And honestly, i don't think that the customer is any happier when they act like a jerk saying that the customer is always right and get their way, than they would be if they were told "no!" :!!!:

We have customers who place their orders online, we can tell that no one here touched their order, and yet they insist that we put the wrong address in or ordered the wrong thing for them. They get really irritated when we refuse to pay for them to return something when the error is theirs. We give away all sorts of stuff when it comes to errors on our part, but i refuse to deal with a customer that is just being beligerant because "the customer is always right."

I gotta say, when i am acting like an arse to someone in customer service, i know it and i most certainly pull that "customer is always right" cwap.... even if it does kill me to admit i am wrong...lol