PDA

View Full Version : Knitting after shoulder surgery

Momto G B and H
05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi, I just found this board recently, it's great to see a group of knit-a-holics like myself.
I have a question. I am having a right shoulder arthroscopy with possible rotator cuff/labrum repair on Tuesday. If any repairs must be done, I will be in a sling for 6 weeks. I am left handed, but knit right handed.
I don't know how long I'll be able to go without knitting without going crazy. It's my stress reliever and my favorite thing to do to relax.
Has anyone else gone through this surgery and how long we you unable to knit for? Basically if I am stuck in the sling I can do anything I want with my hand and wrist as long as my elbow stays at my side.
DH is buying me a swift and ball winder for mother's day as I expect to have at least a 6 month recovery time.
What will I do without knitting???????????

Braden
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
If you knit continental (yarn in left hand), than you can knit just fine. If you knit English, you might have to switch.

bailsmom
05-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry you have to have this done. But honestly, I had shoulder surgery and I couldn't move my arm a half inch without it hurting my shoulder. Unfortunately those darn ligaments and muscles are all connected!!

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Are you using a Cryo-cuff after the surgery?? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it, it was a huge life saver for me.

(its an ice pack for your shoulder)