PDA

View Full Version : NEVER MIND! Is Cascade Fixation a center pull ball?

Rennagayle
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Silly question, I know, but I'm about to start a pair of socks with Cascade Fixation (which I've not used before). Before I go digging around too much in the ends, can someone tell me if it's supposed to have a center pull string. I can't seem to find it. :shrug:

Edit to say, I found the end of the string! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
The short answer: YUP.

HOWEVER...GOOD LUCK IN FINDING IT! :shrug: It does take some digging around...and you might end up pulling out a hunk of yarn with it...but, you will find it in the hunk somewhere... :teehee:

Rennagayle
05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
It wasn't easy. I'm a little hesitant about knitting with this yarn. I started casting on for a sock, and realized it's waaaaay more elastic than I realized. I'm not sure just how snug to pull my stitches. I am going to have to relearn my tension for knitting with it. I put it aside for a few days, but will get back to it soon.

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi Renna! I know exactly what you're sayin'! I knit a toddler sweater using pink Fixation! You will get used to the elasticity! Just don't knit too loose. Give your stitches a little tug...but not too much. I knit a full 4"x4" gauge swatch using the yarn...to get a "feel for it" before embarking on the sweater! I think you should do the same...the 4"x4" gauge swatch.
Before I knit the full 4"x4" gauge swatch I was going to sack the project...and move to a different yarn! But, I had yarn in my stash...and still have 5 balls of the pink remaining! Five pink, 4 lavendar, 4 green/purple/white mix! Did I go overboard at a yarn sale, or what!!???
I think I paid $3 per ball. Had no clue that it is a sock yarn. I don't knit socks. I have never tried to knit socks...and I got this mound of cool sock yarn! So, I was happy that it worked well for a toddler sweater! Kinda neat that the sweater is stretchy, too! The mother really loves it!

1to1
05-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Renna,

I remember it being a pain trying to find the center pull end and just knitted from the outside. :!!!:

I used Cascade Fixation on two pairs of socks and it is stretchy. I used a Size 4 Needle and I recommend using a 2 or 3. However, after I washed and dried them, they did seem to fit a little better. But I don't really care for the feel of Cascade Fixation on my feet.

Carla

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi Carla! You know, I was thinking the same thing...the nubbiness and texture of Fixation...I don't think I would like walking on "teeny pebbles" either!

Rennagayle
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Thank you both for the suggestions and tips. I'll follow the advice and make a gauge swatch, something I don't normally bother with when knitting socks.

I'm using it to make a pair of footies for my mom, so maybe they won't bother her so much, since she'll mostly use them for wearing when traveling in the car, or lying in bed at night.

1to1
05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Artlady, that is kinda what it felt like but I don't like my foot moving all over in my sock--maybe I just made them too big.

Renna, what sock yarn is your favorite? I've used Trekking, Moda Dea Sassy Stripes and Fixation. So far Trekkin is my favorite.

Rennagayle
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Renna, what sock yarn is your favorite?

Truthfully, I've not yet had enough sock knitting experience to have a favorite yet. :neutral:

The town where I live doesn't have a yarn shop. We do have a craft store downtown that carries a small selection of yarn, mostly acrylics. She has only recently begun adding non-acrylic yarns to her inventory. She has started carrying Cascade (Fixation, 220 [tho not Superwash], and Sierra). I was so anxious to try something different than the acrylics I'd practiced with that I bought the Fixation. :shrug:

I received a mini sock from a recent swap that had been done in Trekking, and I LOVED it. :heart: I loved the color striping in it and I loved how soft it felt, so I definitely want to try it soon. I also bought some KnitPicks Essentials and Dancing from someone here on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, which I'm anxious to use for socks.

Thanks for the list of what you've tried and your favorite. I always want to know what others like, to have ideas of what to get when I get a chance to visit a yarn shop on out of town trips.