PDA

View Full Version : Binding Off - Am I the only one who HATES to do this??

baronreads
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I've finished 2 dishcloths and just HATE to bind off. It just feels so awkward and I'm afraid I'm going to drop stitches. It has got to be the WORST part of knitting!! :pout:

Silver
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Have you tried other bind off techniques? If you hate a knitted bind off, try a crochet bind off instead. It can be faster and more fluid for you.

Check the Bind off videos page under the Basic Techniques tab.

dink
05-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't enjoy it much either. The first time I did it it took me quite a while to get it right. Like Silver said, I think I'm going to try another method. There's got to be an easier way! Though, I will say, the more I do it, it gets a little easier.

Mommy22alyns
05-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I love binding off - it means I'm finally finishing something! :teehee:

Braden
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I actually love it, and my favorite techniques are:

-Sewn Bind off (for garter)

-Casting On Bind off (duplicates long tail CO, and it's my most used)

-Basic Purl BO (for garter)

-Basic Knit Bind Off.

baronreads
05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Have you tried other bind off techniques? If you hate a knitted bind off, try a crochet bind off instead. It can be faster and more fluid for you.

Check the Bind off videos page under the Basic Techniques tab.

OMG! I just watched the crochet bind off video, THAT is gonna be my new bind off method! AWESOME! THANKS!! :muah:

PaperGirl
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
:notworthy: That crochet bind off looks SO much better than the knit one Ive been using!

Im going to try that!

A simple question though...does the size of the crochet hook need to be equal to the needle you knit with? Cause I have ONE crochet hook, and its a tiny one... :roflhard:

Braden
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
A simple question though...does the size of the crochet hook need to be equal to the needle you knit with?

It should be the same, or one size bigger or smaller.

dink
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM

:rofl:

PaperGirl
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
A simple question though...does the size of the crochet hook need to be equal to the needle you knit with?

It should be the same, or one size bigger or smaller.

Thanks! :hug:

mwedzi
05-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I actually love it, and my favorite techniques are:

-Sewn Bind off (for garter)

-Casting On Bind off (duplicates long tail CO, and it's my most used)

-Basic Purl BO (for garter)

-Basic Knit Bind Off.

What is the Casting On Bind Off?

Braden
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
It's a technique invented by Elizabeth Zimmermann, and it involves using a yarn needle and catching the yarn through the stitches in a way that exactly duplicates long tail casting on. I haven't found it anywhere but in her books, though.

Miss Moosey
05-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I also hate binding off, but I find that it feels better when you do it with a crochet hook (there's a video on this site for that). Try it!

Rebecca

hydeemarie
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I have to agree with you! :happydance: But, then I don't like doing it because It is so weird... I think I am going to try another bind off method.. maybe I will enjoy it more.. :teehee: :violin: I need to stop complaining!! lol

nanonette
05-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I was watching a repeat Knitty Gritty the other day with Annie Modesitt and her Corset-T. She explained an awesome, far-too-easy bind-off which works for English & Continental knitters, as well. Just knit through the back loops as she explains from her web site:

http://www.anniemodesitt.com/bind_off.html

K2tog-Bind Off
Binding off is the term used for removing stitches from the needle in a finished (non ravelling) manner. There are many different methods of binding off, this is one of my favorites that works well with the Combined Method of Knitting.

Step 1:
Insert right needle into the back loops of the next two sts on the left needle and knit these sts together

Step 2:
Take the loop you've just created and place it back on the needle.

Repeat steps 1 & 2

carmabelle1191
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Hmm, I'll have to try that bind off next time. Sounds pretty easy, though I am not great at k2tog tbl. I usually use the crochet cast off because I hate using the needle to lift the stitch over the other one, it seems so tedious. :roll:

Braden
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I usually use the Casting On Bind off (everything but garter), or the sewn bind off (for Garter or reverse stockinette.) They work very well.

Knitabit
05-08-2007, 02:11 AM
What is the Casting On Bind Off method?

:??

AnnaT
05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I've finished 2 dishcloths and just HATE to bind off. It just feels so awkward and I'm afraid I'm going to drop stitches. It has got to be the WORST part of knitting!! :pout:

I don't hate it, but I do usually get a cramp in my thumb on my right hand. I use the Basic Knit bind-off from the video here.

Quiltlady
05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't mind binding off at all. IT lets me know that I'm moving ahead on the project and see the light at the end of the tunnel. :teehee:

Probably my least favorite part is casting on.

dink
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I tried the crochet hook bind off last night. It felt strange to me, I think because I have never used one before outside of fixing a stitch. Amy does it with such ease in her video, I was hoping my experience would be the same. :teehee:

I got about 1/2 done with the bind off using the crochet hook, and went back to the regular 2-needle bind off.

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Forgive me if I am repeating someone else's 2 cent's worth:

Binding off is much easier and faster if you change topointier needles....AT LEAST for your last knitted row and the bind-off row.

Knitpicks OPTIONS make binding off REALLY EASY!
Addi's are sometimes way too round for some types of yarn...they just won't catch the stitch you are trying to pull up and over.

IMHO...It is all about the needle!

knitaddict
05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm going to have to buy an Elizabeth Zimmerman book so I can learn that Cast On Bind Off!! Sounds neat to me. :)

My most hated part of knitting is weaving in - I'd much rather bind off than weave in ends.