PDA

View Full Version : I am so sorry for an OT question regarding SEWING

chicagoknitter
05-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I am so sorry, I know this is completely off topic, but I just do not know where to turn. I am a knitter who learned to knit from this web site. I read and read in the backgrounds and watch the videos and I have been able to teach myself to be quite the talented knitter (if I may say so myself). However, my new hobby involves trying to sew - well embroider actually. This started while trying to make appliques for a baby knitting project. I have looked everywhere to see if there is a site that is nearly as helpful as this one so that I may ask about sewing/machine embroidery and I have found NONE. Everyone here has always been so nice and helpful to me, I thought that some of you crafy people might be people who machine embroider or might have some idea of where I should look?? Thank you and again I am sorry to be completely off topic.

Sara
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
What are you trying to do? Is it something with an embroidery machine specifically, or is it a basic question? I don't own a dedicated machine (yet), but others around here do. Don't worry about asking questions regarding other crafts, many of us are multi-craftual. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi! I don't know of a handy-dandy website like KH anywhere on earth!

That said, why wouldn't the embroidery people (who sold you the machine) help you learn how to use it efficiently? Or, maybe they have a video for you...or maybe they could give you a steer in the right direction?

If you did not buy it new...and therefore you don't have a shop to go for help...

look into your manual....and see if you can find an address to write to...or better yet, an email address! Perhaps they have a website!

Another idea...sometimes the bigger State Fairs have many vendors (especially sewing machines, sergers, and embroiderers!) that come and try to sell their wares, and the sales/demo people are very adept at the machines...and very willing to be helpful...especially if you can come M-F mornings when they are not so swamped. The State Fairs will be starting up soon...in Washington State we get Fairs that begin in Spring...with the biggest ones, of course, towards the end of Summer. Those vendors don't miss any of these events!

Wish I could be more help.

chicagoknitter
05-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh, thank you so much for understanding. I figured that there are so many talented people here, there are probably some seamstresses in the mix. I own a Viking sewing machine and I bought their 3D Embroidery Studio software and I felt a little tricked into buying it, now I have no idea how to use it and I keep breaking needles (they start to sew and then it is as if they get lost and hit the metal of the machine and snap) or getting error readings where the icon of the hoop is flashing. I am looking into sewing classes to try to teach me to use the software, but now they are talking about me buying more software 3D Digitizer, they say I need it. I know I might need it for what I am looking to do, but I just wished I could have someone to talk to who might know something about digitizing or maybe even someone who knows something about the software because I am at a loss and I do not like to buy things (especially expensive things) without knowing why. At least with knitting I know why I am shelling out more money for a particular yarn or needle...I am lost with this and desperately wish I could talk to someone for some help. Thanks again for the reply, I knew you guys would at least try to help me. You all are so nice here on this site! :hug:

marykz
05-08-2007, 06:26 PM
are you using the right presser feet for the embroidery? It sounds like maybe the needle is whacking the sides of the presser foot and that is why it is breaking.

I don't havea viking, but I just attended a class about sewing machines, and one of the things we talked about was using the right feet. Also, did you drop the feed dogs to do the emboridery setting? and are you using the right needles?

I know get stitchy has an embroidery forum, but they might be mostly hand embroidery.

(getstitchy.com)

I would definitely pursue trying to take a class from wherever you got the machine. Viking is the big seller at the local JoAnns and they always have 2 or 3 ladies at the Viking area for questions and demonstrations. JoAnns also offers classes in getting to know the machine. my class was well worth the small fee. ($30 or $40?)

Check community centers, community colleges etc for other places that might offer classes.

also check local sewing machine repair shops for tips on teachers/ classes.

and your manual is your friend: 90% of all the information you need is right there- it may not be very clear, but its there.....

efsaturn
05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I used to go to sewforum.com, and enter the "embroidery" or the "sewing" section. They don't really have videos like they do here. Definitely if you can't get a lesson from where you bought the machine try any sewing machine store in your and just take a basic class to learn about your machine.

Once you have them figured out they are a blast and embroidery is so fun!

JudyD
05-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I have owned a Viking sewing machine for a few years. By the time I purchased it I'd been sewing for 40 years but in order to get full use of the machine I took the classes offered. I don't know about your machine but mine came with two instructional booklets plus a huge binder loaded with information. In that binder I still have all my sample sewing pieces from the basic stitches up to the fancy lettering, fancy stitching, etc.

For embroidery my machine has the Pictogram programmable designs. Instructions say to use the Open Toe foot or transparent B foot. The Infodisplay also indicates the size and type of needle required (right hand side of the display window) for what is programmed.

If I were you I would definitely look into available classes. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish with your machine.

Good luck!

JudyD