PDA

View Full Version : OT: Not so Neighborly Neighbors

Chel
05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I have no idea what to do about my new neighbors. They are driving me insane. I guess the problem lies in the fact that what I WANT to do is smack them in the head with a brick, call social services, and animal control, the probably give a stern lecture on common decency, morals and values. But they are the kind of people who will key your car and stuff if you tick them off so I don't do anything.

Seriously, these people are awful.

There are 4 adults and 4 kids aged 3 to newborn living in a small mobile home. It was just a guy and girl and their 2 kids, but her brother moved in with his GF and their 2 kids.
They have 2 cats which they promptly dumped outside without being neutered or spayed-of course the female cat is pregnant
They have at least 1 pit bull puppy which is pathetically thin tied to the front of the house by a rusty chain attached to its collar.
They were keeping at least one dog in a crate under the house-not sure if it is still there.
The dog (s) bark at all hours.
The kids are filthy.
The kids are still in diapers and walk around with no clothes-just sagging obviously soaked diapers drooping between their legs-barefoot on a gravel road.
The parents-all 4- just scream at the kids. Get the *%# over here!!! SHUT UP! Get your #%*$ @ss in the yard NOW!!!!
They have friends over all the time who park their cars and leave the bass up so loud it vibrates the chandelier in my house as well as the glass in the china cabinet windows.
The language is deplorable. Constant cussing with the F word used as every other word
They always have people over sitting in the yarn and drinking-noon or at night.
They grill over open flame and have tiki torches posted in their yard-which they leave unattended. Keep in mind, if a mobile home catches fire it will burn completely in under 2 minutes.

It breaks my heart seeing animals and kids treated this way.
The reason I haven't done anything about it is that when I was a kid, a teacher MISTAKENLY thought there was abuse going on inside my home and I had someone from social services and a cop tell me to my face that I was a liar when I told them I was not being abused in my home. I don't trust social services in my county. In addition, there was a time when it was considered normal to let kids play in just a diaper and run barefoot. And kids get dirty.

I guess the problem is that I KNOW I have very high standards regarding what is appropriate with regards to children. I can't expect to hold everyone else to my standards. Then I look at people who have become successful despite a rough, poor childhood and alcoholic abusive parents and think that they might not be "ruining their precious childrens lives" as I imagine they are.

I just wish I didn't have to sit in MY house and hear them SCREAMING at their babies as their dogs bark and the babies cry and the bass is jumping and all the while I can hear the F word filtering through.

*But* I shouldn't have to wear earplugs in my own home either. :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

PaperGirl
05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
You might be able to call the cops for disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace...I think.

The noise sounds like its enough to warrant it.

Can you call a Animal control about the pets? Thats AWFUL about dumping the kitties. And that poor doggie! :pout:

As for the kids...thats such a fine line to walk....I see your concern for them...Im not sure what to do... :pout: :pout:

Chel
05-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Animal control was called and they did nothing except tell them they had to get a house for the dog.

In the state of MD cats aren't considered "Property" so they don't enforce laws regarding them. :grrr:

PaperGirl
05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Thats terrible! :!!!:

marykz
05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Animal control was called and they did nothing except tell them they had to get a house for the dog.

In the state of MD cats aren't considered "Property" so they don't enforce laws regarding them. :grrr:

very true and very sad.....
those folks sound like the type that would just make things worse for you if you said anything... so sorry. Bad neighbors are just the worst.

madametj
05-08-2007, 06:22 PM
:verysad: thats an awful situation.

are. you. serious.

when i lived in md, the animal shelter wouldn't even give us a cat because we said we might open the front door sometimes, and they claimed that if we ever opened the door, the cat would run outside and get hit by a car. :hmm: :roll:

Chel
05-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Ugh. One of their little girls was just out in the middle of the street riding her tricycle. She got off and her diaper slid down her legs. It weighs that much. *gross*

Oh and I am not spying-I'm cooking dinner and thats the view from my kitchen sink. :oops:

Yes, the animal situation is *so* sad.

BostonBecca
05-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I think you could think about making an anonymous phone call to child services. If the children are being neglected it is for the best even if you have doubts about child services in your town. I understand the hesitation based on your past experience, but these children could be in danger of health problems and the child being in the middle of the street on her tricycle unattended? That is child endangerment. I don't know how effective an anonymous phone call is, but if you state the things about the diapers and the unattended child they should at least visit. These children can't look out for themselves, so you might be doing them a service.

Some people just shouldn't have children.

debinoz
05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know how CPS is where you are, but here, in Kansas, if you are turned in they usually don't do anything unless they get at least THREE complaints from different people. Then, they are required to notify the people that they will be paying a visit, usually giving them 1-2 weeks to clean everything up and get ready.

Our town is soooo sttrict on animal control that they have a time limit on how long your dog can bark before you're breaking the law, I think it's like 15 minutes. Dogs AND cats have to be tagged by the vet and the city. It is also unlawful to let your cat run at large.

want2knit
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I think you could think about making an anonymous phone call to child services. If the children are being neglected it is for the best even if you have doubts about child services in your town. I understand the hesitation based on your past experience, but these children could be in danger of health problems and the child being in the middle of the street on her tricycle unattended? That is child endangerment. I don't know how effective an anonymous phone call is, but if you state the things about the diapers and the unattended child they should at least visit. These children can't look out for themselves, so you might be doing them a service.

I agree. Make the call. Your latest post about the child's diaper sliding down her leg--just pure negligence, as well as with the animals too. Maybe there are drugs involved. You might be saving these kids lives......if they are that abusive to them where neighbors can hear, imagine what might be going on inside.

madametj
05-08-2007, 07:35 PM

amen.

five_six
05-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I guess the problem is that I KNOW I have very high standards regarding what is appropriate with regards to children. I can't expect to hold everyone else to my standards. Then I look at people who have become successful despite a rough, poor childhood and alcoholic abusive parents and think that they might not be "ruining their precious childrens lives" as I imagine they are.

Or at least the adults they grow into 'appear' successful, but I've found they can be incredibly tormented mentally over the way they were raised. I (and maybe I'm at the other extreme), am extremely conscious of the fact that I am raising a 'human being' that will one day interact with the world and have her own impact on the people around her - and I desperately don't want her to be these people one day. I feel guilty just being pregnant at the moment, and tired, and not able to give her the quality of time I was a few months ago, but that's just me. I would definately contact someone about the poor kids. Maybe you could pretend to be 3 different people placing a complaint if you do indeed need to have 3 complaints before CPS will get involved. (Just make sure you do it from different phones, of course).

You know, you could maybe try (and from what I know of you Chel, this will be a HUGE stretch) to become your own Neighbour from Hell, and out horrible them, but then that could just start the spite game rolling.

Sheesh, I really feel for you, what a terrible thing to have to be witnessing.

PS... Maybe you could 'donate' some diapers and leave them on the doorstep (I'm sure you have plenty of neighbours and they won't know where they have come from) cause I'm assuming they spend most of their money on their own entertainment and are trying to get as much use out of the diapers as possible, but for goodness sake, it's spring ain't it, and theres nothing better than being outdoors in a bare bottom!

Just horrible.

auburnchick
05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
How very sad...

Short of moving, I guess the main thing you can do is pray for them.

:hug:

CateKnits
05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
My advice would be to find out what the laws are regarding noise complaints and disturbing the peace and then use that to your advantage. If their loud music and such is at a time that counts for a noise complaint, make one every single time it happens.

NinaT
05-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you should try a couple of things. Create a journal (diary) where you record the time and duration of the dog barking. It would do alot to be able to document things. Also, try to videotape (surreptitiously) some of the condition of the children. Again, proof would go a long way. The renters wouldn't be able to"clean things up" if you had a tape of what things are really like.

cathoo
05-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Is there anyone else in your community who is seeing this as well? Maybe a coffee and chat with another neighbour will help you see what is the right thing to do for the children. Who knows, they might be thinking the same things and not want to cause trouble, just like you. Or perhaps they know the family a bit better and see what goes on where you can't see.

Jessica Cobb
05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
The animal situation makes me so angry I can hardly think.

I work with a pit bull rescue in my area. They are the most amazing dogs in the world, and I just can't stand to hear of stories like this when they are treated this way. It breaks my heart. No dog deserves to be chained up, ever. No excuses.

I'm sorry you have to witness such things. Sometimes I just don't understand these types of people.

chiricahuagal
05-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Did you say they were renters?

Complain to the landlord.

AnnaT
05-09-2007, 01:10 AM
This is such a difficult situation. But it sounds like this family needs some sort of help or intervention.

I have made one call to social services. I called because I could hear a baby crying constantly, non-stop, day and night. It turns out that there was a lot more going on in the home than "just" a baby crying. I was always glad I called, for the sake of the baby and her two brothers.

I would call. I think most states allow you to call anonymously.

I am so sorry you had a horribly negative experience with social services. But there are a lot of good people in that field, too.

I would also call about the dogs (I know there's not much you can do about the cats). See if there's a rescue shelter nearby and maybe they can help or direct you to the best place for help.

If I saw anything like a little child playing in the street, I would call the police immediately. There is no excuse for that.

I would also call the police about the constant loud music. Most neighborhoods have laws about things like that.

losnana
05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Calls to Child Protective Services are confidential. I think you really to need to call about the children. After all, a child in a diaper has no business riding a tricycle in the street!!!
Be prepared to explain all the things that you've just told us. It all adds up to abuse, even though no one may be PHYSICALLY hitting the kids.
as a guardian ad litemfor kids in foster care and custody cases, I see this type of behavior every day, and it is neither normal nor good.

Chel
05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Well, I know I am not the only person seeing whats going on. The landlord gave them a 10 page letter regarding violations of their lease and gave them a chance to correct it all.

Abbily
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Chel, what a terrible situation, I'm so sorry! You said that the landlord gave them a deadline to correct things- do you think he will check to make sure they abide by his deadline? Maybe a call to him would help.

That's a tough call about calling CPS, especially given your history with them! UGH. I can tell you though, from first-hand experience, that the mental/emotional abuse that you described is *at least* as detrimental, if not more so, than physical abuse. Maybe if you call in the noise violations, the police will handle the neglect issues when they come to handle the noise issues?

rennfamily
05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Chel Are you kidding me the child was in nothing but a diaper yesterday playing in the street? I know our temps are a little lower than yours but my son had a jacket on all day cause it was just a little too chilly to be out with just his long sleeve shirt. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

I would complain to the landlord and the next time they're bass is up and yelling curse words call the sherriff. That is what they're there for. As our neighbor told us who is a deputy if you're being distrubed it doesn't matter if it's 1 pm or 1 am. It's loud and disorderly.

I can so understand being leary of CPS but I can say that they have improved in the last few years. Unfortunately we've had to call them for children at the hospital and once when I worked in daycare and it seems to have gotten better just in the time from the first incident 7 years ago to the last one I was involved with 1 year ago. They actually do a much better job of sitting down with the parents and with the complaintent to see what's going on (This is done separately of course). We dealt with it a 1.5 years ago when CPS came in to investigate my sis after my nephew was caught in the blind cords. They were actually more worried about my sister at the end then my nephew. Hope you can find some resolution.

Chel
05-09-2007, 10:23 AM
The landlords husband was just diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 3-6 months to live so understandably these people are the least of her worries.

The little girl was in a long sleeved shirt (looked like a pajama shirt to me) hair uncombed, a diaper and no pants or shoes.

They had the baby 3-4 months old in a carrier covered up with blankets and the carrier sitting on the trunk of the car. The trunk lid is sloped and I kept waiting for the carseat to slide off.

I understand about not "having much" and being poor. But water is included in our rent so theres no excuse not to bathe your kids.

What ever happened to the old saying "We didn't have much but we had love."

I LOVE children. I desperately want kids, but I don't think I'll be having any. It kills me to see people with kids who not only don't want them, but don't seem to even like them. When I look at these 2 families I don't see people who 20 years from now will be saying, "We had it rough but we pulled together and made it through, now we are productive members of society and our kids are in college". I see future Jerry Springer episodes.

PinkRoses
05-09-2007, 10:24 AM
You had a Freaudian slip and said they were sitting in the YARN. :rofl: I thought that was so cute.

Seriously though, this sounds like a complete nightmare. I personally would want to move. Would calling the board of health or calling social services help? I think you can make an anonymous call. Really, I think this is the worst case story I've ever read. Best of luck to you, no one needs to see that.

hellokitty165
05-09-2007, 10:32 AM
It kind of sad...i thought US are united as one...how come different states had different laws and rules ? the irony is we can see each other in court for ridiculous issue...and the worst part that someone can win the case with ridiculous complaint..just like Macdonald fast food...SIGH !

kblue
05-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Aww that's so sad and gross and frustrating all at the same time :pout: . I think you should always report them for the noise when its at crazy hours. I understand what your landlord is going through but they still need to take responsiblility for whats going on there. The whole CPS thing is kind of touchy but i think you should call them. My little sister got sick and the doctors thought she was being abused at home by my parents (she wasn't) so for a while a social worker would come to the house and check me and my sisters out to make sure everything was ok. I don't remember it much, because i was 3, but my older sister said the social worker would keep asking what my parents do when they get mad at us or if we were alone with them and that they would ask these same question in 20 different ways trying to get a different answer from her. So i get why you don't want to call because of what happened to you and your family but it's way better to be safe than sorry. If they really aren't doing anything wrong to the kids then they should have nothing to worry about. But if they are...you don't want it to be a situation where one of the kids is REALLY getting hurt and then you find out later and wish you had said something earlier. I really hope it works out.

Stiney
05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
It kind of sad...i thought US are united as one...how come different states had different laws and rules ? the irony is we can see each other in court for ridiculous issue...and the worst part that someone can win the case with ridiculous complaint..just like Macdonald fast food...SIGH !

Because the federal government leaves certain things to the states' jurisdictions. In some cases, there are federal laws that set a minimum standard, but individual states can add to it. For instance, the federal minimum wage is set at a certain dollar amount (not sure what it is at the moment) but some states have it set higher, and some cities have it set higher than their state minimum wages.

Honestly, I would call social services. They are neglecting their children. We had a neighbor who was pretty awful, not as bad as your neighbors, but pretty bad, and we and our other neighbors called the cops on them for noise complaints a few times. He was our next door neighbor, and one time (I forget why) he was SCREAMING at my mother and someone else called the cops on him because they were afraid for my mother.

Their youngest child, who apparently is named "Baby" (at least that's the only thing we ever heard them call him) was found a block away from the house when he was just old enough to walk, about to walk out onto a very busy road. Our across-the-street neighbor was walking and found him, and called the cops cause she didn't know whose kid it was, and the cops came and were going to take the kid away when the dad showed up. :!!!:

Olive Oil
05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I personally would report them, report them, report them. I know that is easy for me to say but wow !! Those poor kids!!!!

Is there any way you could get a video and just take it to the police station. Or maybe somehow, get their language on tape??

Keep a log. Document what they are saying and what time of day it is. Write down small quotes of what they are saying. Do that for about 3 days and take it to the police station or just mail it if that would be easier.

Maybe speak with your neighbors. Surely they have noticed it. If enough neighbors call in, the police will start to pay attention.

Just some suggestions. You have to do what you feel is right. I am not in your shoes ( thank goodness ).

Best of luck and I appreciate your obvious concern.

Hang in there !!

Stiney
05-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Um, I'm not sure about the video. It sounds creepy and of dubious legality. :shrug:

stitchwitch
05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I guess I'll play devil's advocate, but I would either move or try and ignore it. These people don't sound like model citizens and if they find out you are reporting them they may make your life more miserable than their kids' and pets'. I would only get involved if you have stable backing from other neighbors, otherwise it's a crap shoot whether anything will actually be done or if they will retaliate against you. I know that doesn't sound good but sometimes your own health, kids, family, etc is just more important than a situation that more than likely will not improve with your input.

aineepooh1
05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I was gonna suggest talking with your neighbors too b/c you know that you are NOT the only one who has noticed their behavior..
there is a fine line b/w abuse and neglect and sometimes CPS or DHS is necesssary b/c parents don't have the parenting skills to raise childern..,( we raise our kids based on what WE were taught) it is a touchy issue b/c they COULD retaliate but I would discuss it withmy neighbors and see if all of you can come to some decisions about how to handle their behaviror

BTW: i do sympathize with how precarious a situation you are in .. the reason I live where i live now is b/c my old upstairs neighbors had a love/ hate relationship.. Her husband beat the holy H#LL out of his wife on a 3x week basis... I WAS THE ONE who go to hear the unholy H#LL he made while he beat her.. It was VERY upsetting to me b/c then where several occasions I TRULY wondered would the coroner be outside my door in the morning...
I Called the Police ( numerosu times) when I just COULDN"T STAND IT anymore... they were LOUD~ the police wanted MY Drivers License #, My address, MY phone numbers and they would heare the police coming it would stop for 5 minutes and as SOON as the cops left they were at it again~ :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: and found out later the police NEVER made a report~! :grrr:
I can't tell you how many nights I couldn't go to sleep until 3am b/c of them fighting .. I approached her with the womens shelters( while she was alone).. HE told her to stay away from ME~!! It just a screwed up situation ... but if you were like me and JUST couldn't STAND it anymore... CALL CPS~!!

Pixywhispers
05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
What about visiting the fire Dept and asking them about the fires in the front yard?

I would get with other neighbors and make these peoples lives hell anonymously of course. If I see something going down I would call the cops (then alert the other neighbors to call as well) .

I would take pics of the kids and send it to them anonymously. Letting them know how they are seen. Try to make sure it doesnt come off as cute, go for pathetic.

I would call cps everytime I saw something bad. Call the cops everytime I could. Also when you call the fire dept, or the animal control people I would also say, "If you think the children are being neglected as I have seen in the past please call CPS. I am worried about them."

I would also make friends with them. Invite them to church.

People like that usually dont stay in one place long. Dont move.

Inis
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
How would you feel if you did nothing and something happened to those kids?

I would make the call.

bailsmom
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Okay, here's my 2 cents.

First you should definitely call the police. And keep calling them till something happens. The fact that you are worried about them retaliating against you should make you realize the damage they can do to their children and pets. And each other.

And if they do something to your property, then call the cops, as was earlier stated, that's what they are there for, to protect us from people like them.

And call child services and keep calling. You may be their only hope. And finally as I was thinking about this situation last night I was trying to figure out how to help the animals.

I came up with this: Before things start to get crazy, can you non-chalantly ask them where they got their dog(s) from? Say something like how much you like them and how beautiful they are (even if they're not) that way if you get that info you can call the people/company that they got them from and report the abuse.

Most shelters want to know if the animals they adopt out are being treated well and if they find out they aren't they have the right to take them back. :shrug: I would say this is worth a shot.

Of course if they got them any other way that won't help but I would still call animal control and tell the police when you call about the kids. Most cops like animals and want them treated decently.

I wish you all the best and I'm sorry you're in this position, but you were obviously meant to be or it wouldn't have happened. Things happen for a reason.....

(I know that doesn't make you feel any better, sorry) :hug: :hug:

stitchwitch
05-09-2007, 04:25 PM

I would make the call.

As a person who did call and reaped the consequences with both my husband and I nearly being killed I take offense to the idea that if she does nothing it will be on her shoulders. There is no guarantee that calling anybody will solve the issue. In the case of my situation the people moved out in the middle of the night and the child was gone so there was no golden "call somebody and it will all be better". The only good thing that came out of it was that both of us weren't killed by trying to be good samaritans in the process. :shrug: Not all things have happy endings and like I said sometimes it's not worth ruining your own life over.

Sand Lapper
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
You need to contact your local social services dept. or you should be able to find a toll free number for a hotline to report child neglect/abuse. you do not have to give your name all you need to do is give the infomation regarading what you have observed. It is better to error on the side of the child than ignore it, and then blame yourself if something were to happen to one of the children. It sould as though a lot of neglect is going on and need brought to the attention of those who have the ability to do something about it. The neighbor may "assume" you or another neighbor called, but they will not have that infomration as it is NEVER to be released, even in court.

stitchwitch
05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
The neighbor may "assume" you or another neighbor called, but they will not have that infomration as it is NEVER to be released, even in court.

See that's what I'm trying to say, there is no guaranteed protection for the person who calls. I was duped into giving my name and address otherwise they wouldn't come out until they had two or more phone calls of complaints. Upon leaving the abusive home the DCF woman promptly climbed upstairs to my apartment to tell me that she had visited there, thus tipping off the people.
I guess I'm just a bad person now but unless I had backup there's no way I'd get involved with trash like that. :verysad:

figaro
05-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Thankfully I have never had to report anyone to the DCF and I know that this does not really compare but I did report my ex-next door neighbor to the local Humane Society. I told them that the owner leaves every weekend and leaves her 2 little YAPPY dogs there all by them selves. And they would BARK at all hours of the day and night. I did not want to her to know who it was and I let them know, they tried calling her and of course she was not home so they sent a letter letting her know that their was a complaint about her barking dogs and then the H.S. called me to let me know about the letter. She never left her dogs for the weekend again and as far as I know she never found out who complained about her. The H.S. did tell me that they would not reveal my name and I guess they meant that.

If you feel strongly that you can not let this go, then when you call someone, let them know how strongly you feel about these people getting a hold of your name and no one is to approach your house. Let them know that you feel these people could end up retaliating against you or your family but you feel that these kids need someone to speak up for them. Don't forget to tell them about how they treat their animals, if they treat the animals like they do, then what does that say about how they treat their kids?

If you feel you cannot say anything right now, than journal EVERYTHING, even if it seems trivial, write it down. And call the police for noise complaints, that is also letting the authorities know that this is a house that has had problems in the past. At least then if you say something later, you will have some sort of documentation for the authorities.

Big hugs for you, this is a terrible position to be put in. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Inis
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM

I would make the call.

As a person who did call and reaped the consequences with both my husband and I nearly being killed I take offense to the idea that if she does nothing it will be on her shoulders. There is no guarantee that calling anybody will solve the issue. In the case of my situation the people moved out in the middle of the night and the child was gone so there was no golden "call somebody and it will all be better". The only good thing that came out of it was that both of us weren't killed by trying to be good samaritans in the process. :shrug: Not all things have happy endings and like I said sometimes it's not worth ruining your own life over.

Wow. I'm sorry that happened to you. I didn't mean for it to sound as if it would be on her shoulders.

However, I disagree with you. Children cannot defend themselves. Unfortunately, some need defense against their own parents. Looking the other way isn't an option for me. Personally, I would feel tremendous guilt.

What's the old adage about all it takes for evil to flourish is for good (wo)men to do nothing?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone, for keeping this sensitive topic very cordial and rational. I know anything involving children or pets is likely to strike a nerve with everyone here. It's saddening that as "outsiders" we don't have any control in situations like these.

Again, thanks for keeping everything on an even keel. We can always count on KH members to offer the voice of friendly opinion.

PaperGirl
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey, Chel....any update on your situation? I was wondering cause my neighbors were letting their kids run around unsupervised yesterday...and I thought about your issues...

Mommy22alyns
05-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh gosh... those poor kids. :pout: That just breaks my heart.

leedsfan
05-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I have no idea what to do about my new neighbors. They are driving me insane. I guess the problem lies in the fact that what I WANT to do is smack them in the head with a brick, call social services, and animal control, the probably give a stern lecture on common decency, morals and values. But they are the kind of people who will key your car and stuff if you tick them off so I don't do anything.

Seriously, these people are awful.

There are 4 adults and 4 kids aged 3 to newborn living in a small mobile home. It was just a guy and girl and their 2 kids, but her brother moved in with his GF and their 2 kids.
They have 2 cats which they promptly dumped outside without being neutered or spayed-of course the female cat is pregnant
They have at least 1 pit bull puppy which is pathetically thin tied to the front of the house by a rusty chain attached to its collar.
They were keeping at least one dog in a crate under the house-not sure if it is still there.
The dog (s) bark at all hours.
The kids are filthy.
The kids are still in diapers and walk around with no clothes-just sagging obviously soaked diapers drooping between their legs-barefoot on a gravel road.
The parents-all 4- just scream at the kids. Get the *%# over here!!! SHUT UP! Get your #%*$ @ss in the yard NOW!!!!
They have friends over all the time who park their cars and leave the bass up so loud it vibrates the chandelier in my house as well as the glass in the china cabinet windows.
The language is deplorable. Constant cussing with the F word used as every other word
They always have people over sitting in the yarn and drinking-noon or at night.
They grill over open flame and have tiki torches posted in their yard-which they leave unattended. Keep in mind, if a mobile home catches fire it will burn completely in under 2 minutes.

It breaks my heart seeing animals and kids treated this way.
The reason I haven't done anything about it is that when I was a kid, a teacher MISTAKENLY thought there was abuse going on inside my home and I had someone from social services and a cop tell me to my face that I was a liar when I told them I was not being abused in my home. I don't trust social services in my county. In addition, there was a time when it was considered normal to let kids play in just a diaper and run barefoot. And kids get dirty.

I just wish I didn't have to sit in MY house and hear them SCREAMING at their babies as their dogs bark and the babies cry and the bass is jumping and all the while I can hear the F word filtering through.

*But* I shouldn't have to wear earplugs in my own home either. :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

Poor you i know how you feel,we had to move due to our noisy neighbours,there was 7 adults,they played music all hours,i had a nervous breakdown and was very depressed,we have moved now and our neighbours are lovely,the lady is recovering from cancer,its not fair you should not have to put up with it,i reported mine to the EH,shut them up for a while,then they started again.Lets hope it gets sorted.

willowangel
05-24-2007, 10:01 AM
"Them as can do, has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

It's a difficult choice, and there's no guarantee of a happy ending, or of an ending at all. But maybe if you call, and when they move someone else calls and someone else and someone else, then the kids might have a chance. Sadly, it doesn't look like they've got much of one at the moment. If you think you would be putting yourself in danger then don't, but I think if their abuse is so public and so shameless, then anyone could have reported it. But it does need to be reported, by someone. Anyone. Nothing might happen, but at least you'd have done what you could, which I think is important.

Chel
05-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Since the landlord wrote them such a long list of complaints, they seem to have quieted down a little. They are still partying but they turn the music off at 10pm. THAT I am very thankful for.

Kids are still dirty, but they are putting more of an effort into actually dressing them. I still think the majority of the problem is a combination of youth, ignorance and a lack of values.

sylvia
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
you will have get together with the neighbors and all of you complain to all departments of this abuse kids and animals
all of you at one time
agree on a time and call one at a time
police animal shelters and the abuse for children
keep it up
dont give up
make a nusinance of yourselves
you might just save the lives of the kids and the animals
about the adults
i dont give a d----
try hard
employ your relatives
and friends
and make them take notice of this trouble
bad things will happen to the kids and animals
if you dont
you can see that this really bothers me
we do have police and other people for this problem
let them earn their wages
sylvia

Silver
05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
First off, I understand how watching these kids is upsetting to you, but I have to be honest here. If the worst you've seen is that they're dirty, barefoot, have full diapers and are exposed to foul language, then I can't go so far as to call them neglected kids. And I think it may not be the nicest thing to see when you look outside your windows, but beyond that, it's not your business to tell them how to take care of their kids.

Unless the kids (or animals) are visibly bruised, emaciated, sickly, or injured, I really don't think you should be reporting them to child services.

Lots of people let their kids run around barefoot and with no pants on. But they're at home. You may not approve, but lets get real, is it really hurting anyone? *I* don't like my kids to run around barefoot either, but sometimes they did (they're teenagers now). I would hope no one called the police on me.

As far as the noise and language goes, you CAN do something about that. You can complain the cops. Again and again. Until they learn to keep it down.

But it sounds like the landlords are helping you there, eh?

alpacasofdundorwoods
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
We had neighbors who were no where as nasty as yours, but their three barking dogs were driving us crazy. I had studied Feng Shui (for fun) for a bit and went out and got a Feng Shui mirror. About 2 months later....they moved! It's not expensive....just hang it so it reflects the bad energy back at them and see what happens! I'll keep you in my thoughts. Good luck and let us know if you have any luck?

Freddi
www.alpacas-of-dundorwoods.com (http://www.alpacas-of-dundorwoods.com)

leedsfan
05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
We had neighbors who were no where as nasty as yours, but their three barking dogs were driving us crazy. I had studied Feng Shui (for fun) for a bit and went out and got a Feng Shui mirror. About 2 months later....they moved! It's not expensive....just hang it so it reflects the bad energy back at them and see what happens! I'll keep you in my thoughts. Good luck and let us know if you have any luck?

Freddi
www.alpacas-of-dundorwoods.com (http://www.alpacas-of-dundorwoods.com)

Wish i had known about feng shui where i used to live,it would have been great if they had moved,save me moving.

1knittychick
05-26-2007, 10:55 AM
For the children--call social services! I can't stand people who treat children in the way you described. Call anyone who will listen.