PDA

View Full Version : SOOo MANY OF THEMMM

OnlyCoolBoysKnit
05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Does any one have any witty ideas with what to do with the little yarn snippets left after cutting the thread off a bind off or cast on tail? If you did it would help me alot because i have about 29,000 miles in 3 inch lengths of yarn.

brendajos
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
spread them outside... the birds love them for building nests! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Some people use them for stuffing...like a stuffed animal or I suppose if you do have 29,000 miles you could probably make a couple pillows (or 20) for them. :teehee:

Aquaria
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Hmm... I usually keep them in a container and then use them as the stuffing for knitted toys, and the result is not bad :wink: Hope that's helpful!

KnitClickChick
05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I occasionally toss out some into the yard for the birdies. But usually, I just throw it on the floor for the kitties to play with. When they are done i just vacuum it up. :teehee:
I suppose you could tie them together until you have a nice looong piece... 29,000 miles would probably be enough to make a really cool multi textured scarf... or two!

BinkyKat
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I do the birdie thing too!
Also, they are good for stitch markers in a pinch and you need a contrastig loop real quick. :happydance:

snowbear
05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I take glass/plastic - clear christmas bulbs. take all the snippets off the item I made.. put it in the christmas ornament. If the object was big.. use a large one.. small= small one.. ( i know.duh )..

Then I give it to the receipitant as a present. I've made several for my daughter & grandkids. That way when the present is worn out.. there is still the memory of the gift... ( make a tiny pic of the item to put in the ornament)

Just my idea...

BinkyKat
05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Very clever Snowbear! That would be a way for me to decorate a tree at my house...yarn touching all parts of the home...dh would be impressed :teehee:
Love that idea! :happydance:

zip
05-09-2007, 02:00 AM
whoa! You could knit a Ferrari with that much yarn.

I love the stuffing idea... But I wonder if there isn't some kind of art project they could be used for. Maybe a kindergarten class could use our yarn snippets for something?

DQ
05-09-2007, 06:27 AM
I use mine for stuffing and stitch markers...but I love your idea snowbear! :heart:

losnana
05-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I love all these ideas. I've just been throwing mine away, but no more!!
Maybe fill up one of those clear glass lamps - the kind you see filled with seashells or dried flowers?

marykz
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
or use them to personalize a coffee mug- the kind with the insert you can change... just wrap the yarn in there instead... a little reminder of all your projects...

Abbily
05-09-2007, 09:09 AM
But I wonder if there isn't some kind of art project they could be used for. Maybe a kindergarten class could use our yarn snippets for something?

Any preschool or kindergarten teacher would probably love to get these! I have donated yarn scraps, fabric scraps, all kinds of stuff like that to my girls' teachers.

Liliyarn
05-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I spin so I keep them to tie skeins together for dying and storage. I also keep a H*ll box of yarns and fibers for carding together.

I do a little scapbooking and card making so I use them to decorate home made cards, scrapbook pages, and boxes.

Stiney
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Knit Ferrari. (http://brintainleicester.web-log.nl/brintainleicester/2006/06/knitting_show_.html)

29,000 yards won't be enough, this girl used 12 miles of yarn. :roflhard:

:doh: Yes it would.

CarmenIbanez
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
and stitch markers... :heart:

Me too!

Guin
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Knit Ferrari. (http://brintainleicester.web-log.nl/brintainleicester/2006/06/knitting_show_.html)

:teehee: How many yards would that be .. :??

I want a new car.. :roflhard:

Stiney
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
29,000 yards is actually around 16 or 17 miles...I edited to add the :doh: because I checked it in Google after posting. :oops:

I only work with math books. I can't actually do the math. :teehee:

Guin
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
:teehee:

My hubby is amazed at how much I love to knit cause I stink at math .

I even mess up calculations while using a calculator.. :roflhard:

HollyP
05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I throw it out to the birds. You should see some of the nests in my neighborhood! They look so festive.

PaperGirl
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM

:passedout:

Stiney
05-09-2007, 03:43 PM

When I interviewed for my last job (editorial assistant at Prentice Hall for Calculus and Precalculus) I asked specifically if I needed to know math for the job. I wouldn't have been able to take it if they'd said yes. :rofl:

Now I'm an Assistant Editor for another math discipline, so I guess they were right. :teehee:

zip
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM

:teehee: I'm an accountant. And I have to clear my knitting calculations with my beloved who's a sales rep and his best friend, who's a finish carpenter. Surely between the three of us, we'll get it right.

I'm still voting for the Ferrari, btw.

PinkRoses
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
If you are ever intersted in making latch hook kits that would work. Other than that, I would toss them. :shrug:

OnlyCoolBoysKnit
05-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys, these are very cool ideas and sorry about the whole math troubles. I suppose it doesn't matter any more. In the original post i said 29000 miles not yards so i could knit about 2416 and 2/3s (you get the idea) ferrari covers. THanks again