PDA

View Full Version : Recent KIP experience

KnitClickChick
05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Sunday afternoon, my boyfriend and I decided to go out to eat. There was a 45 minute wait at the restraunt, so I sat down on one of the benches outside to knit and he went to look at the car cruise going on in the nearby parking lot. I was minding my own business, working on my sock. Some guy came up and said "Are you expecting anyone other than a baby? Would you mind if I sit here?" I was like "Excuse me?!" He said "I saw you knitting for the baby and just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting anyone else." I kindly informed him that I was NOT expecting, and he was more than welcome to share the bench. Do only pregnant women knit now??? What in the world would make him think that because I was knitting, I was expecting? This upset me for some reason, and I really wanted to jab his leg with my DPN. Sheesh

Jan in CA
05-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't take it personally. It sounds to me like he was just being nice and being a non-knitter didn't know what else to say.

wewantmore
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
:!!!: Men. :!!!:

Michelle

brendajos
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
well I understand why you were upset but really... :teehee: ... i can't help but think that is a fairly cute line. :hug:

Braden
05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Exactly. At least he wasn't rude like some.

Braden
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM

Some men ;) .

wewantmore
05-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Some men ;) .

Very true. Mine knits, but not in public.

Michelle

auburnchick
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
What a great opportunity to educate someone else about knitting! That guy probably walked away with a new perspective. Try not to take it personally.

KnitClickChick
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
He was an older gentleman, so I was thinking maybe that in his day it was more common to knit for that reason that just for the joy of it. I dunno. I think I was partly so bothered because babies are a touchy subject, and well.... ladies, sometimes you know you are just in a "mood"! :teehee:

syndactylus
05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
he wasn't trying to pick you up?

KnitClickChick
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Noooo, not trying to pick me up. He was with another older man and woman. He talked to them the whole time, in between hacking up a lung. Which about near ruined my appetite. Bleh! I should have offered to teach him a few stitches :happydance:

aprilbetty
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
This is what happened to me yesterday:

I was in the waiting room at the eye doctor's, and started knitting away -- just stockinette stitch, so I was going along pretty fast. I looked up and noticed that a man a couple of chairs away was staring at me. I kept on knitting, then looked up again and he was still staring, so I looked at him until he said something. He said, "I haven't seen anybody doing that in years." I said, "This is very relaxing. I am knitting for my grandchildren." I really don't know why I felt like I had to say something, but I did. I'm sure other people in South Florida knit!

Aprilbetty

luv2knit
05-09-2007, 01:07 AM
I have had experience some interesting comments from KIP, some are funny and some are just clueless. I stopped knitting at my son's ortho office because one of the ladies drives me crazy, (I just wait in the car now if she is there). I do take my knitting to the pool since I have to be there when my kids swim. Saturday I had my knitting with me, just a simple dishcloth and was knitting away. A young lady (who was already quite tan and the pool had just opened that day, ha!) probably early 20's, asked if using those (needles) were easier. Took me a second to realize she was asking about my circulars. I had a nice conversation with her about knitting and why I like my circulars and what I was working on. I am getting a lot more comfortable responding to others when I KIP. I also helps to just realize people sometimes don't always know quite what to say when they see us KIP. :teehee:

brendajos
05-09-2007, 01:28 AM
He was an older gentleman, so I was thinking maybe that in his day it was more common to knit for that reason that just for the joy of it. I dunno. I think I was partly so bothered because babies are a touchy subject, and well.... ladies, sometimes you know you are just in a "mood"! :teehee:

Well I gotta say that hearing it was an older man makes it all the cuter to me. I know that is easy for me to say because I am just hearing the story and wasn't there bein' in that mood (blah! hate that mood!) but the picture in my head is of my grandpa now! :teehee:

zip
05-09-2007, 01:49 AM
I must feel differently about knitting in public than most.

1: Wow, I haven't seen anyone knit for years.
me: Really? We're everywhere. :)

2. Is that knitting or crochet?
me: It's cross stitch. ;)

3. What are you making?
me1: A parachute for the space shuttle.
me2: A corvette.
me3: A skirt for my duck.

If you're going to do something in public, then you oughta have fun with it. Talk with people when they take the trouble to approach you. You might make a friend or you might learn something.

Lieke
05-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Well, usually when I KIP, people just stare at me. I've once had a comment from a women who also knits and she wanted to know what I was making. That was really nice of her. I wasn't in a chatty mood that day, anxiously waiting for a phone call, but it was nice of her to say something about it.

Abbily
05-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I must feel differently about knitting in public than most.

1: Wow, I haven't seen anyone knit for years.
me: Really? We're everywhere. :)

2. Is that knitting or crochet?
me: It's cross stitch. ;)

3. What are you making?
me1: A parachute for the space shuttle.
me2: A corvette.
me3: A skirt for my duck.

If you're going to do something in public, then you oughta have fun with it. Talk with people when they take the trouble to approach you. You might make a friend or you might learn something.

Oh... my... goodness! Thank you so much, I really needed a good laugh and this is hysterical! :D I am definitely going to use some of these one day!

zip
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh... my... goodness! Thank you so much, I really needed a good laugh and this is hysterical! :D I am definitely going to use some of these one day!

Except for the first one, I just made 'em up when I posted. ;) But I am receptive and friendly when people ask me what I'm making.

ok, yeah, sometimes I'm a smarta@@, but only if they look like they have a healthy sense of humor.

Abbily
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I figured you did, but they're hilarious! I might not ever use them, but I'll be chuckling thinking about them anytime I'm in a situation like that. :)

zazzu
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
I've once had a comment from a women who also knits and she wanted to know what I was making.

It doesn't really bother me when people ask about my knitting/crochet, if it's only occasionally. I had to stop KIP in my community because I was ALWAYS getting interrupted to the point where I couldn't continue my knitting. I live in an older community where people figure, since I'm knitting, I must want to hear their life story. I don't.

This never happened to me anyplace else I've ever lived or visited.

If I was reading a book, I'd get annoyed if people kept interrupting my reading to ask about my book. I wonder why people think KIP is so different?

KnittingNat
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I usually don't KIP. because i don't have the time. I either at work or driving, so i do most of my knitting at home. Today though, i had a funny experience. I went to my E.N.T. doctor (ear, nose, throat) and knitted there, since i knew ahead i'll be waiting a bit. This little boy comes and stands next to me, really close (in Israel there is no such thing as "personal space", people think they have the right to touch pregnant women's belly in the street and ask them questions :!!!: ) and he asks his mother :"What is she doing?" And she answered that i'm knitting and then... she brought him a chair and he kept sitting and staring at me for the next 25-30 minutes!!! People here don't get knitting at all, all the knitting you see around is religious girls crocheting kipot.

brendajos
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I usually don't KIP. because i don't have the time. I either at work or driving, so i do most of my knitting at home. Today though, i had a funny experience. I went to my E.N.T. doctor (ear, nose, throat) and knitted there, since i knew ahead i'll be waiting a bit. This little boy comes and stands next to me, really close (in Israel there is no such thing as "personal space", people think they have the right to touch pregnant women's belly in the street and ask them questions :!!!: ) and he asks his mother :"What is she doing?" And she answered that i'm knitting and then... she brought him a chair and he kept sitting and staring at me for the next 25-30 minutes!!! People here don't get knitting at all, all the knitting you see around is religious girls crocheting kipot.

lol i don't think the belly touching is exclusive to Israel... I am pretty sure that as soon as you get pregnant your belly is open to rubbing by complete strangers...lol

I know it had to be a little weird but i am still sticking with lovin' it. I can picture him sitting there and staring at you completely mesmerized... :heart:

KnittingNat
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM

lol i don't think the belly touching is exclusive to Israel... I am pretty sure that as soon as you get pregnant your belly is open to rubbing by complete strangers...lol

I know it had to be a little weird but i am still sticking with lovin' it. I can picture him sitting there and staring at you completely mesmerized... :heart:

LOL...Believe me - my cat couldn't be more mesmerized... I felt like i was carrying some prophesy or something :roflhard: :roflhard: And the doc had to spoil everything by telling that something inside my nose isn't straight and he can fix it with a surgery :pout: