PDA

View Full Version : what yarn for a Wallaby?

ecb
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
what would your favorite yarn for a wallaby be?
I REALLY want to make one, but not sure what yarn I want to use

ecb

Sara
05-08-2007, 10:36 PM
If it's for a child, I would use Plymouth Encore or Unger Utopia. Something wash and wear. And the price is good, too.

blueeyes28
05-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I am going to make another one for myself in either encore or swish superwash from knitpicks .

GinnyG
05-09-2007, 07:53 AM
I am taking a Wallaby class at my LYS so have seen a number of different yarns being "made up". I am making mine in Cascade 220,it is nice but I am not overly thrilled with it. The one I am ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with is being made out of Berroco Pure Merino, it is just stunning. There is something about the yarn itself that fives the stitches a much different look than the Cascade.

I just orderd some Berroco Pure Merino on ebay for $4.50 a skein (7.50 at my LYS) and plan to make my next one out of that.

Chrissie
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Since it is such a simple design, go for a yarn with a great color or texture that you want to show off. The wallaby looks like a sweater I would wear all the time, so I would probably do one in a machine washable/dryable yarn. How about Cotton-Ease or Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece?

GinnyG
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Be careful of the Cottons.....the Wallaby is intended to be a "oversized" sweater and cotton tends to stretch.

I have some naturecotton I'm debating over knitting into a Wallaby.