PDA

View Full Version : Baby Kimono Jacket - yarn amount?

Stonington
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi!

I thought I would move this question to "General Knitting"

I would like to place an order with Knit Picks for some yarn for the kimono jacket found in the Mason Dixon Book. Unfortunately I am at work (unfortunately in more ways than one! :!!!: lol) and my book is at home, could someone tell me how much yarn it takes for a sweater? I am thinking of using: Shine Worsted. Thanks so much! :hug:

anne
88.2 delightful degrees in
Portland, ME

Chel
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Edited in wait for those who have the book handy!

HollyP
05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi it calls for 244 yards . I think it would be great in Shine!
Please be aware that the pattern that as written it is very small. I made it for a friends baby and it didn't fit him after his second week of life! The pattern says it can be adjusted to make it bigger I definitely would do that next time .

Quiltlady
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Okay, I've got my book right here...it says....
They used: Peaches and Creme worsted weight by Elmore Pisgah, inc. solid 2 1/2 oz. (71.5g) balls each approx 122 yds. they used TWO Balls in white.

So looks like it took 244 yds. :happydance:

Stonington
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi it calls for 244 yards . I think it would be great in Shine!
Please be aware that the pattern that as written it is very small. I made it for a friends baby and it didn't fit him after his second week of life! The pattern says it can be adjusted to make it bigger I definitely would do that next time .

I wonder how hard it would be to adjust size wise-- I also would like to try and incorporate cables somehow. I am knitting a cabled baby blanket and would like to tie the two together somehow. Such a cute sweater! I can't wait. :cheering:

Thank you all so much for your help!

anne

HollyP
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
The directions say you can just cast on more stitches and knit more rows for the body and arms to make it larger. I am not sure how many since I am horribe about figuring these things out!
It would look great with cabling!

suzeeq
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
You could also knit it with needles a size or two bigger. Shouldn't make it too loose, but would make a slightly larger size.

sue

Stonington
05-09-2007, 03:33 PM
You could also knit it with needles a size or two bigger. Shouldn't make it too loose, but would make a slightly larger size.

sue
That is a good idea! :cheering: . Now I am going to be impatient to finish the blanket so I can start on the sweater! :teehee:

anne
Temp has dropped to 76 degrees
in Portland, ME

marykz
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM
these are the cutest sweaters- my Mom makes them by the bunch for baby gifts. if you add stitches, just do it proportionally and its fine. her favorite is to mix and match a solid and a striped peaches n cream cotton.

downthestream
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I just finished this in Encore on size 8 needles. It made a looser stitch but it is a great baby size. It looks so cute in the tighter knit cotton - that will be my next kimono.