PDA

View Full Version : OT- Sad News -Update

orcoastknitter
05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
This morning I got news that one of my aunts in California (on my mom's side) had a massive stroke. She is in Stanford Hospital in ICU. It doesn't look good. My uncle (my mom's brother) told us to stay put until we hear more news. If we do go, it might just be me, mom and puppy going. My dad might stay here and take care of the rest of our pets. I am trying to decide if would be cheaper to fly rather than drive (14 hours).

:pout:

Chel
05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
:( awwww I'm sorry to hear that.
:hug: to you and your family

threesmom
05-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm so sorry. My grandmother had a few strokes, one massive, when I was very young, and an aunt had one a few years ago, and she's actually doing quite well - doctors and treatments can do so much more than they could years ago. It's always a sad, scary thing though. :hug: to you and your family, and safe travels.

Calamintha
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm so sorry also. Last year one of my friends who has been like a second mother to me had a massive stroke. Her right side was paralyzed and she was unable to speak or even understand speech or writing. She was in a hospital for rehab for a couple of months but she slowly recovered most of her mobility and can get around quite well with a walker now. She is able to speak and read also now although not at the level she did before. So there is hope. Physical and speech therapy can really do a lot.

orcoastknitter
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you for you kind words. It's hard not being there with the rest of my family. My mom and I decided to drive down there. It's going to be a long trip but we decided to make in 1 1/2 days. My mom has osteoarthritis and it's hard for her to sit for long periods of time.

I just got word that nothing has changed. My aunt will be having another cat scan and MRI. I know she is in good hands at Stanford. Luckily when she had the stroke she was only a few blocks away from the local hospital.

Thanks again :hug: :hug:

PaperGirl
05-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh hon! Im so sorry! :hug: :hug: :hug:

melissa.atkins
05-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Im so sorry! My prayers are with your family... :hug: :hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-10-2007, 01:42 AM
:heart: :hug: :heart:

orcoastknitter
05-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks again everyone. :hug:

Well tonight didn't bring any good news. So far she has been unresponsive. She is in a coma and on a ventilator. There has been extensive brain damage. If there are no signs of improvement tomorrow, they will remove the ventilator.

This was totally unexpected. My cousins and uncle are all at Stanford now. I wish that my mom could be with them, but I don't think there will be enough time (16 hour drive). My cousins have told her to stay at home until we hear from them. All day long I have been just thinking of my aunt and her quirky ways.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers it's really appreciated.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

jodstr2
05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
:hug: :hug: :hug:
I know it's hard, to not be at the hospital with everyone. you'll be there soon. drive safe. :heart:

Abbily
05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about that. I hope you and your mom can make it in time; but even if you can't, I know your Aunt will know you were thinking of her. Drive safely!

madametj
05-10-2007, 04:58 PM
:pout:

orcoastknitter
05-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Just an update... my aunt passed away this morning. She went peacefully. So I am going to be heading down to California next week with my mom and puppy. Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers. :hug:

auburnchick
05-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Hold on to your happy memories of her during this difficult time. I'm sure that's what she would want.

:hug: :hug:

iza
05-12-2007, 03:29 PM
:hug:

larudden
05-12-2007, 03:41 PM
So sorry for your loss. :hug:

orcoastknitter
05-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Just an update....

Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers for my aunt. The services were beautiful and just seeing all my family there bought great comfort.

Unfortunately, my plans have changed. I was to leave to today for Oregon (home). However, my mother fell at her friend's house and fractured her tibia. She is unable to walk, even using crutches. I have had about 5 hours sleep over the past two days. My uncle is coming over tomorrow to help load my mom into the car. I am going to driving straight through to get my mom to her doctor's up there. She may be needing surgery, at least that is what the doctor's told her in California.

I hope we get there with no problems. :pray:

cookworm
05-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Coastie, this has been such a hard time for you and your family! I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt, as well as your mom's injury. I hope everything goes well for you (please drive safely!) and that your mom heals quickly. :heart:

Braden
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
You've had such a rough time; I'm praying hard for you and your family.

KnittingNat
05-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Hang on there... It looks like you had some hard time, try to get over it and to get to the bright stripe of the zebra path of life :hug::hug::hug:

Ronda
05-21-2007, 07:58 AM
What an ordeal you've been through! I'm so sorry about your aunt. Have a safe trip home. I hope your mother heals quickly.

dustinac
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm sorry for your loss..

:hug::heart::hug: