PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth Galway

Mommy22alyns
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry for all the questions, but my LYS is about 40 minutes away and impossible to navigate with my 2 little ones. I wish I could go fondle in person, but I have to do it vicariously! :teehee:

So is Plymouth Galway a soft wool? Are the painted shades different in feel than the solids? Would you wear it against your skin or not? Wool is so confusing - from Kureyon to MMMMmmmm. :??

brendajos
05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
no galway isn't soft... it is a great felting wool though.

don't know about the different galways though. i have only used the solids and like i said, felted well but i wouldn't want to use it against my skin.

Brandilyne
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I would have to agree, not soft at all. Of course, I am the pickiest wool person in the universe so maybe I'm not the best judge :)

It did felt absolutely beautifully for my Booga Bag though!

iza
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
It's not the softest, but I've seen worst. I find it's a nice "basic" wool, it's not expensive and it knits well. I made a scarf with it (solid color) and the person I gave it too still wears it without any complaints. I also made wristwarmers for myself and have no problem wearing them. :shrug: However, I think "not-so-soft" wool doesn't bother me, so it's hard for me to judge if people will find it too scratchy or not. :teehee: It depends what you want to do with it and how sensitive your skin is!

I almost bought a skein of the "paint" shades, and ended up changing my mind. For some reason I didn't really like the look of it, but I can't put my finger on why. :shrug: I might be too spoiled with the gorgeous hand-dyed multi-color yarn you can buy. :teehee: It's definitely not in the same category.