PDA

View Full Version : my first visit to a real yarn shop (update with pic)

ironmaiden
05-11-2007, 05:12 PM
holy guacamole.

it was so incredibly beautiful - it took me almost an hour just to pick something to buy.

i am so excited - the woman who owns the store teaches a class once a week, and judging from their inventory and all of the gorgeous samples hanging around the store, it's got to be a whole lot better than the ac moore class i took last week!

anyway, i walked out a little lighter in the wallet with a skein of sockotta, two skeins of malabrigo and the denise interchangeables :teehee: .

now, what to make with 2 skeins of malabrigo? i couldn't let myself buy more - i was determined to get out of there for less than $100 (barely did at that).

Quiltlady
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Sounds like you did enjoy yourself. I think the owner got a new customer for life. :happydance:

ironmaiden
05-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Sounds like you did enjoy yourself. I think the owner got a new customer for life. :happydance:

better believe it! it was so cool. i wanted everything i saw.

and the women working there were so helpful and nice - sometimes i get an icy reception at craft-type stores bc i'm young or because the salespeople are just rude in general - not here - they were older but really wonderful (and not in that icky fake retail way lol).

i can't wait to try out the class on tuesday :D.

iza
05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Isn't that great? I love my LYS too, and I have to force myself NOT to go because I like it too much. :teehee: When I go in, my heart starts pounding, and I just go frantically from one yarn to the other, touching everything. :rofl: There's nothing that makes me happier than going to my favorite yarn store! :cheering:

Chel
05-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Regarding the Malabrigo... what color did you get? Pics please? :eyebrow:

Just FYI, I got a pair of Fetching and an Irish Hiking Scarf out of 2 hanks.

:)

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Regarding the Malabrigo... what color did you get? Pics please? :eyebrow:

Just FYI, I got a pair of Fetching and an Irish Hiking Scarf out of 2 hanks.

:)

I'll have to take a pic tomorrow - I picked two colors, one is a dark turquoise ("Bobby Blue") and the other is a sort of pale seafoam green ("Water Green") - I figure they'll look lovely together :).

And I realized how much yarn it really was once I started winding some balls - it's a decent amount for certain, enough for something(s) :D.

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/Hpim1344.jpg[/img]

Quiltlady
05-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Oh it looks like you made some great choices. Don't you wish you had a million bucks to spend in there? :roflhard:

jeanius80
05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
i :heart: loooooove :heart: the malabrigo choices you made!
if you cant decide on what to knit you can send it here :teehee:

:flirt:

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 08:49 PM
sorry if i sound weird but... what is so great about malabrigo? i've heard it a lot on this forum but i dont think i have ever seen this yarn before :?? :shrug:

misha rf
05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
That Mmmmmalabrigo is bee-you-tee-full!!

Knitwit, Mmmmalabrigo is incredibly soft, has gorgeous colors & knits up well. I've got another 5 skeins in my stash that I periodically fondle. :teehee:

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a wonderful yarn! Can it be used for many projects? is it usually affordable? haha sorry about all the questions :teehee:

kemp
05-12-2007, 09:03 PM
YUMMMM!

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 09:18 PM
sorry if i sound weird but... what is so great about malabrigo? i've heard it a lot on this forum but i dont think i have ever seen this yarn before :?? :shrug:

I wondered exactly the same thing before I actually saw it and touched it in the shop. It's just... magnificent. It's soft and smooth and comes in stunning colors. And it's knitting up beautifully (making a small hat with some cables, very pretty so far, with the blue).

misha rf
05-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a wonderful yarn! Can it be used for many projects? is it usually affordable? haha sorry about all the questions :teehee:

I've seen it for about $12/hank on up. Sometimes you can find it online on sale. I've never bought more than 3 at a time, & have used it for scarves & hats. I know others have made bigger things. :rofl:

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 09:20 PM

The kind I showed in the pic was $10.95 (it's fairly chunky) -- there was a chunkier one that was about $14. For it's loveliness, not too bad. I wouldn't buy it all the time because I'm generally a cheapskate, but once in awhile for sure.

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info! It sounds absolutely gorgeous! But I usually try to stear clear of high priced yarns... also, I went on malabrigo's website and they dont sell it in any stores in kansas. i know i could just buy it off the internet, but my parents said i'm not allowed. lol i guess i will have to stick to michaels and my lys! :teehee:

Braden
05-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I once made a Malabrigo sweater. Cost me a BUNDLE to do, but it was worth it. It is a GREAT yarn! :P

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info! It sounds absolutely gorgeous! But I usually try to stear clear of high priced yarns... also, I went on malabrigo's website and they dont sell it in any stores in kansas. i know i could just buy it off the internet, but my parents said i'm not allowed. lol i guess i will have to stick to michaels and my lys! :teehee:

You could check with your LYS and see if they will special order it for you.

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 10:03 PM
ohhh! great idea! i am planning to go to my LYS pretty soon... maybe I can ask them about it. :) btw-- what are you gonna make with yours?

ironmaiden
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
ohhh! great idea! i am planning to go to my LYS pretty soon... maybe I can ask them about it. :) btw-- what are you gonna make with yours?

Right now I am working on this (the first one): http://stitchcafe.com/freepatterns.html

I've never done cables so I figured no time like the present :). After that, I was thinking about maybe Fetching or another fingerless glove - not really the season for them, but I do love them so and I might be able to wear them a couple of evenings before putting them away for next fall/winter.

Next purchase will have to be something more seasonally appropriate lol.

brendajos
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
so i am knitting a scarf this weekend with the malabrigo i got from some yarn sale that someone posted about recently (seriously i have bought so much stuff on sale lately i can't remember who had this sale... i have a problem!) and my mom reaches out to touch it and turns her nose up to it and says "it isn't very soft!"

*gasp!* she told me that the SWS Danica scarf i did a while back was much softer.... yeah she just wants that Danica scarf i think but seriously she turned her nose up at it...lol

yup... i told her she is insane and i can not gift her for mother's day now! :teehee:

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 11:40 PM

Right now I am working on this (the first one): http://stitchcafe.com/freepatterns.html

I've never done cables so I figured no time like the present :). After that, I was thinking about maybe Fetching or another fingerless glove - not really the season for them, but I do love them so and I might be able to wear them a couple of evenings before putting them away for next fall/winter.

Next purchase will have to be something more seasonally appropriate lol.

Thats a cool hat! It may not be the season for fingerless gloves and stuff like that, but does it really matter? as long as we all keep ourselves busy with something to knit!!! :teehee: I bet it will turn out wonderful! :muah:

carmabelle1191
05-13-2007, 07:39 AM
:drool: All that yarn looks wonderful. OK, time for another visit to the LYS! :teehee:

Brandilyne
05-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Ooooh, such pretty yarn! I know exactly what you mean about loving your LYS too. I'm very lucky in that we have about 6 or 7 shops around here, 4 of which I absolutely adore. Of course, my checking account doesn't seem to think that's very lucky, but I ignore her :)

I bought a skein of Malabrigo when ChezCasuelle had it on sale a few weeks back. I am truly the itchiest person when it comes to any wool, but decided after all the raves to give it a try. I must say, I haven't knit anything with it yet, but it truly is the softest wool I've ever felt. And I'm a total hussy at the LYS, I feel anything and everything, hee! I'm planning on knitting some wristwarmers/fingerless gloves with mine and figure if they itch me too much they will find a home with my best friend!

Can't wait to see your finished hat, that's a cute pattern!

ironmaiden
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Here it is:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/Hpim1358.jpg

It's a bit short for my taste, I'll definitely make it a tad longer if I do the pattern again, but it was a quick knit and it's cute :D.

Braden
05-13-2007, 08:41 PM
The had looks great!

knitwit628
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Soo pretty!!! :cheering:

Brandilyne
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Oooh, that hat is adorable! And the color is gorgee :) I'm going to have to remember that one!