PDA

View Full Version : It's happened to me....and I'm devastated.

JSanz8
05-11-2007, 10:54 PM
So I decided to knit a sweater for my Mom and I bought six 50 gram balls of MaggiKnits "Maggi Linen" and what happens???? I knit the back, fronts, start knitting the sleeves and get to the shoulders and I'm short like 20 rows on each sleeve. Did I mention that I purchased the LAST six balls? :shock:
Other than ripping apart the whole project :frog:, does anyone have any suggestions? I thought of contacting the company and asking if they did business with any other companies in my area which would have the same dye lot but I'm not even sure if that's a reasonable route to go.

This really bites....
:waah:

hellokitty165
05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
sorrie that this happened to you... can you make it short on the sleeve... like a short sleeve sweater ??? if not search around and see whether you can find the same dye lot... good luck

JSanz8
05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I went short on the sleeves already and it would still be too short.

Thanks for the idea though.

Ingrid
05-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Not all yarns show a huge difference in dye lots. Maybe you can find some of the same color and see if it's close enough?

Jan in CA
05-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Oh boy... try and find the yarn and dyelot if possible and if not..maybe you could do a stripe on each sleeve to make up for the missing yarn? :shrug:

zip
05-12-2007, 12:36 AM
What style of sweater is it?

The first thing that comes to mind is Jan's idea of using a different color yarn - I'm thinking along the bottom portion of the sleeve. There are lots of things you could do. There's nothing wrong with a two-tone sweater.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-12-2007, 12:43 AM
poo! how frustrating! :wall: I hope one of the aforementioned suggestions works for you!

Julie
05-12-2007, 01:28 AM
I would e-mail this seller (http://stores.ebay.com/Yarnbow) on eBay...last summer I needed a certain dye lot of Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy, she had it. I was gobsmacked! A long shot, but worth a try.... :D

Susan P.
05-12-2007, 01:59 AM
On a different item entirely I rang out of yarn and rang around shops willing to post distance and I eventually found the right dye lot. Just took perseverance and lots of google searches! I've actually found these days I quite like mixing two or more dyelots in the one item (depending on what it is) because I like the look of the subtle shade blends. Then there isn't such a panic if I fall short (tho mind you I tend to over rather than under buy!)

I'm sure you will get the dyelot if you ring around and DO feel ok ringing the company and asking. They will understand and I'm sure be willing to help.

hellokitty165
05-12-2007, 10:22 AM
how about sew a lace onto it to make it look longer ???

Stiney
05-12-2007, 10:26 AM
What about a 3-quarter-length or short-sleeve sweater? Or you could use a coordinating color and knit a lace border or something?

And try posting on the Buy/Sell/Swap board to see if you can find more of the yarn.

Oh, and if you do contact the company, you could see if they have any more of the dyelot. :hug:

Nobones
05-12-2007, 02:47 PM
It's now happened to me too. :gah: I've been knitting this dressing gown for 5 months and now all the wools gone and I still have 5 meters of trim left to kint and sew on. I'm really gutted the lady in the shop assured me I'd have loads left over. I haven't wasted any. I bought this stuff in January, I'm hardly likely to be able to find the same dye lot. I wish I never bothered starting it, it's been nothing but trouble from the start.

hydeemarie
05-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh boy... try and find the yarn and dyelot if possible and if not..maybe you could do a stripe on each sleeve to make up for the missing yarn? :shrug:
I seriously like the stripe ideA!!!!! You should do that!

Sanibelle
05-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. The LYS where I bought the yarn was a member of a netwrok. She posted the information and within a couple of days another yarn store that had the yarn sent it to her and I was able to buy it from her. I did not even know that that existed until this happened....

Good luck!

Lynn

DreamWeaver
05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
what pattern are you using? It would be easier for me to help if I know the pattern you're using. But still... :hug: It's awful to run out of yarn mid big project :hug:

caviar
05-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Try ebay, discontinued online yarn stores, and the buy/sell/swap forum here. You may have bought the last six skeins, but they're probably not the only unused skeins in the universe. Good luck!

Kirstin

JSanz8
05-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and sympathies.

I have an update to my dilemma.
I went back to the LYS where I purchased the yarn from originally last Saturday and unfortunately, they had no more yarn. I went to another local LYS and no luck.

BUT TODAY.....I decided to go back to the original LYS and spoke to the owner (who wasn't there on Saturday) and she pulled two balls out of the truck of her car. It was pure magic and I was so beside myself with joy I was praising the LORD in the parking lot!!
:cheering:

She said she had taken the last two balls a few weeks earlier to make a sample of something but she hadn't gotten around to it. Ladies...there is a God...for real.

I'm hoping to be able to finish my sweater before my mom comes down next Wednesday. I'm so excited.

Thanks again for everyone's support. You all really gave me hope.

Nobones
05-17-2007, 05:22 AM
:cheering::cheering: Well Done! You must feel relieved you found it.