PDA

View Full Version : Pet Drama

larudden
05-12-2007, 08:20 AM
The past 24 hours have been one for the books, I must say. Listen to THIS drama:

Nora, my puglet, wakes us up at 5 am, frantically scratching at the door. Matt is all angry because it’s too early. OK, NOW what do I do with this little creature who thinks it’s time to play? I’m so fuzzy right now that I can’t even remember what I did! :zombie:

Matt finally gets off to work at 8 and, a bit later, I notice little drips of blood on the floor. OH GREAT! Nora’s in heat! And she’s supposed to get spayed next week. Actually she was supposed to get spayed weeks ago but finances made me reschedule. I figured, she’s 7 mos. old and it would be ok. Hmmph! :hmm:

So, I quickly cover up all the chairs and couch in the family room (we’re renting right now til our home sells) because she jumps on them and sleeps on them. I figure I’m good. I call the vet and have to wait until July to get her spayed because they want to wait for a month because, otherwise, the surgery is longer with all the swelling. They tell me she’s gonna bleed for a week and then have another week of being VERY fertile. I call Matt at work and we laugh about making sure that no great danes come calling!

I spend the day obsessively following Nora around every time she jumps off the chair. Meanwhile, the 3 cats are looking for attention, I’m trying to watch DIY, knit, do laundry (Nora was all over my bed!), etc.

The day goes well. Go out to dinner, come home, watch Sci-fi Friday (my dh LOVES that stuff!), knit some more. xxx OK! 10:30. I’m tired. I go to bed and theeeeeeeeen, at midnight, Matt comes in to tell me that he thinks Zoe (my baby princess Siamese) got out. :oo: I figured, when I took Nora out earlier, the door didn’t close all the way (hate that door!). So, I get up, throw something on and go outside, half asleep, trying not to be frantic about losing my cat in a neighborhood where EVERY house looks alike and she’d NEVER find her way home. I walk around the yard, calling her while the other two cats and Nora are all making noise behind the screen. I turn around and, through the darkness slinks Zoe. Poor thing! Her tail’s all huge and she’s not even crying she’s so scared. :waah: I scoop her up and hug her like crazy, all the while thanking God that Matt noticed the door.

Back to bed. 2 am. Nora’s frantically scratching at the door AGAIN! UGH! Enough already! x-( I guess Matt got up and then, a few minutes later, scratching again. At this point, I’m NOT HAPPY and Matt says “Nora fell in the pool!” She was soaking wet and I dried her off! OH MY GOSH! :noway: I get up, throw something on, and go out to find my little puglet all excited, humping my leg (she’s been doing that A LOT lately) and wanting to play AT 2 O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING!!!! :happydance: So, I try to bring her in bed with us (not caring about the sheets anymore – I just wanna sleeeeeeeeeep) and she wants to “talk.” I take her back into the family room, sit with her and then go to bed. Now I can’t get to sleep because I start “awfullizing” about what might have happened. What if we had a solar cover – she would have drown? What if all the animals had gotten out of the opened door? What if? What if? I got up and covered the opening to the pet door so nobody could get out to the pool. I decide that, from now on, the baby fence thing is going to go up each night. OK. Good. Now I can sleep.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……………….scratch, scratch, scratch. Guess what? It’s 5 am again. I love my Puglet but I’m just about ready to scream. :gah:

I’m so exhausted but very grateful that everyone was fine. Good Lord! I thought raising three daughters had enough drama! :passedout:

kitkat
05-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I love pugs! I love when they talk! My big silly lab is a wonderful boy - but he doesn't TALK to me :pout:

Hope you can keep her from hooking up with all the homeboys in the hood!

samm
05-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Oh my!!!! What a story! Hugs to you and all critters from another pet lover, samm

auburnchick
05-12-2007, 12:37 PM
:hug: :hug:

Why don't you just buy some doggie underpants? They make them just for this. Then you won't have to worry about following her around the house.

ADAllen
05-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Why don't you just buy some doggie underpants? They make them just for this. Then you won't have to worry about following her around the house.

When our dane was in heat we had to do something. We had two (a male and a female) and keeping two 200lb animals apart was impossible for us. We ended up making her some underpants from a bikini bottom that we bought at a yard sale (we cut a hole out for her tail and she was pretty much good to go) It seemed to be working, but the next day when we woke up she wasn't wearing them anymore :oops:. We went outside looking for them in the yard. They were about three feet above our reach on a branch. How her panties ended up in a tree I'll never know, but I'll never doubt that girl again either. :teehee:

aineepooh1
05-12-2007, 01:50 PM
YEP~ I feel your pain ( see my thread on my cat is sick and driving me crazy)~ Honestly when they are sick or not their normal selves they can be as much work as chasing after a 1 yr old.. I :heart: :heart:my kitties but frankly I am getting very tired~!! :wall:

Glad all you :heart: :heart: are all ok~! :teehee:

LadyB
05-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry you're having to go through this! Just remember, this too shall pass. :hug:

I get up, throw something on, and go out to find my little puglet all excited, humping my leg (she’s been doing that A LOT lately)

FYI - this is your little puglet's way of asserting dominance. You might want to nip this in the bud.

misha rf
05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
My sister would buy large panties for her Chow, cut a hole for her tail, & attach a maxi pad. The dog would pull them off five minutes later. :teehee:

I feel your pain. I had a cat several years ago that I couldn't afford to get spayed right away. She went into heat every three weeks. At first, it was ok--she'd just chirp around 6 a.m. Eventually, though, the wailing started around 2 a.m. & continued the rest of the night. I was so happy to finally take her in to get her "pesky uterus" removed. (FYI, that was the vet's term, not mine--and the vet was a woman!)

I hope her cycle ends soon!

larudden
05-13-2007, 08:21 AM
She was up at 4AM!!!!!! My dh is not happy. I bought some diapers yesterday and will try to rig up some kind of something since my parents and sister are coming for Mother's Day and I don't want Nora doing her dripping thing all over THEM.

UGH! I can't wait for this to be done.

KnittingNat
05-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I really feel for you... My Tyra (picture in the thread about pet trouble) was in heat when she was 6 months old. she wasn't dripping, but all the stray dogs from around loved to pee on our rug outside. The poor thing almost got raped by a labrador, she was so shocked! Only my hubby took her out, because he could deal with the other dogs. It'll be over soon, you'll have her spayed and have your quiet nights again. :hug: :hug: