PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day Entrelac (with pics)

HamaLee
05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I started these pillows during the March(?) KAL to try out entrelac for the first time. It was fun once I learned to knit backwards! They're Patons SWS in Plum (or Natural Plum or something like that).

Here they are blocking:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/497077039_1c5355a93e.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/497077061_853f5bddb3.jpg

I wanted to see how different effects in the color changes. So the larger pillow is 8 stitch blocks/triangles, and I believe 6 blocks/triangles per row. The smaller pillow is 5 stitch blocks and I think that's also 6 blocks per row.

Here are the finished pair:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/497077257_80091c57f8.jpg

The larger pillow is a 14x14" form, the smaller is roughly 10x10" and just over-stuffed with polyfil. I didn't want lumps, so I crammed tons of it in there. The pictures are before I smoothed the sagginess out of them, but of course I didn't take new pics :doh:

Anyway, fun project! I gave these to my nana for Mother's Day today and she was more thrilled than I expected. She's a quilter and former knitter, and as such really understands the time and effort put into things. She opened them and said "Oh! I can't believe you did this, I HATE picking up stitches!" :teehee:

She particularly loves the small pillow. When I was 7 or 8, I bought her a similar sized pillow for xmas at the mall. It was from one of those kiosks and it's super tacky. Has an ugly rose painted on it and I "personalized" it by having them fancy-script "I :heart: Nana" on it. She STILL has that pillow! She claims it's perfect sized for balancing a book to read in bed. She keeps it decoratively on her bed all day long too. She's so cute. Anyway, she said she may finally replace my old pillow with the new one. :thumbsup:

Quiltlady
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
You did a wonderful job on them. I LOVE the colors too. :happydance:

Jan in CA
05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Those are fabulous!!

psammeadred
05-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Beautiful! SWS is made for entrelac...

auburnchick
05-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh Hama...those are beautiful!!! How wonderful that your Nana totally "gets" it!!!

I have really got to try the entrelac one of these days...

HamaLee
05-13-2007, 11:47 PM
I have really got to try the entrelac one of these days...

Yes you do! :teehee: You'll get sucked right in. I kept saying "oh just one more block!" "no just finish this row of blocks" "oh but you just turned, so do ONE more block" etc etc.

I found it to be a meditative project for me. It's just straight up knitting, so I never had to concentrate very hard or really watch what I was doing...but there's just enough "change" with the decreases and picking up stitches that it maintained my focus. Whenever I worked on it I'd get into "The Zone" and while my hands were busy my mind wandered to some other things I needed to resolve.

Plus, it looks impressive to non-knitters. My uncle saw it and said he couldn't believe I knit so many tiny squares, and then asked how I connected them all together. :rofl:

Ronda
05-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Those turned out very nice.

I'm interested in what you have underneath them in the first few pics. I don't sew or anything like that, so I don't have any idea what that might be called. It just looks incredibly useful.

ETA: Found out about your board in another one of your posts!

GinnyG
05-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Those are just AMAZING!!

Would love to give it a try!!

sara_jayne
05-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Great job! I'm glad your Nana loved them so much! :heart:

Redlesley
05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Bless your Nana's heart - what a lovely lady she sounds and the cushions are beautiful - I love entrelac!

Mariblue
05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Those are georgous! I'm really impressed, you've been so busy with these beautiful pillows, and that wonderful print o' the wave stole! :notworthy: All are just beautiful!

KathyinCali
05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow! They are beautiful :cheering:

baronreads
05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Ooooh, I LOVE THOSE!! Great job! It's so nice when our hard work is appreciated! TFS

Kaydee
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!! :heart:

Miss Kittie
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
You did a beautiful job on those..

Knitalia
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Beautiful. Entrelac looks so HARD.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Those pillows are gorgeous! What a beautiful job.

Entrelac is next on my list to learn...and this is real motivator!

cookworm
05-17-2007, 03:57 PM
SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! :inlove: You did an AWESOME job!!!! I would like to learn how to do entrelac, but I think it's one of those things I'd need to sit next to somebody at a class to see it firsthand to be able to understand it.

How great that your grandma truly appreciates your work, too--it's always great when somebody "gets" the time and effort put into it (and gifts that look harder than they actually were that people are wowed by are always a plus in my book! :teehee:)

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

Arielluria
05-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Those are awesome! Just one more thing to add to my knitting list!
Great idea! As soon as I recover my couch I will start thinking about what color to make them.