PDA

View Full Version : Clapotis 2007 KAL

Chel
05-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Hey everyone, I decided I needed a wrap so after much thought and consideration Clapotis it is!

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html

Come on, join in! You know you want to!!! :cheering:

PaperGirl
05-14-2007, 09:18 AM
oohhhhhhh.

Pretty.

Debating...(since I just frogger my entire FIRST sock. :grrr: )

I gotta get a new printer cartridge so I can print out the pattern...then yarn! :cheering:

Sanibelle
05-14-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm in - I have my yarn and printed the pattern... now I just have to get started. The PFB is throwing me for a loop!

Lynn

mintdee
05-14-2007, 09:31 AM
I will watch the thread see if you all need any help. I have made two of these babies and really they are super easy, just also very easy to forget where you are. I really enjoyed knitting mine just remember thoes stitch markers! (or you can purl the rows to be dropped. I did that with the second one and didn't have to mess with all of the markers. Have fun all :) :cheering:

PaperGirl
05-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Any yarn recommendations other than the suggested in the pattern?

Im open to shopping..(of course) but not paying out my nose for the yarn. :roflhard:

suzeeq
05-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Almost any yarn will do except fuzzy or sticky ones. Probaly the cheapest alternative is Caron's Simply Soft though it's a solid color, but the SS Shadows works too. Lots of people used Knitpicks Shimmer doubled; I made one in Shimmer triple stranded. I can help too, I've made lots of them.

sue

Ariane100
05-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Me, me! I have three skeins of KnitPicks Bare in the wool/silk blend. Now I just have to figure out what colors I'm going to dye it!

mintdee
05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Ohhh I just remembered that I do have a spreadsheet for the Clap if anyone wants it. It is supposed to help keep track of where you are. check off the rows as you go. I didn't end up using it but a lot of ppl I talked to loved using it.
PM me and I will e-mail it to you :)

Chel
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I started on this last night! I got all the way to the first dropped stitch! I LOVE this pattern so far!!!!! :) :heart:

kristinw
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
This is on my long list of things to make. I got some Regal Silk at one of the many sales posted about. I am not going to make it as big though. I found these (http://www.midnightknitter.com/knitpixiepatterns/uploads/clapotis_bamboo.htm)modified instructions for a scarf size one. But there is also instructions on how to make it smaller on the pattern also.

HamburgKnitter
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm in! I just ordered some Mmmmmm today which I finally managed to find here in Germany. My plan is to knit my mom a clapotis for Christmas, but I might as well get started now. :teehee:

So as soon as my yarn is here I'll be joining in! :cheering:

If you want to see what I ordered I posted it at the top of my blog (url in my signature). I can't wait to get my order!!

Sanibelle
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Ohhh I just remembered that I do have a spreadsheet for the Clap if anyone wants it. It is supposed to help keep track of where you are. check off the rows as you go. I didn't end up using it but a lot of ppl I talked to loved using it.
PM me and I will e-mail it to you :)
. a
Thanks Sandra -

I PM'd you. I have been trying to get this started for over a year..I'll try anything!

Lynn

HollyP
05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I made mine using a a ribbon yarn Giotto in colorway Raphael. I absolutely love it! Thankfully I go the yarn on sale. I modified mine so it wouldn't be so wide. It was super easy to do.
Mintdee I never thought of purling the drop rows what a brilliant idea.

Here is a close up picture of mine http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphp2f3TPx.jpg

PaperGirl
05-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Ooohhh...that looks so cool on ribbon yarn.

Now I think I want to try in ribbon yarn....Ill hit Michaels later this week....they have some on sale, I think.

Mariblue
05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I think I might join in. I was wondering though, it's all in stockinette stitch, will dropping the stitches help it not to curl so much?
:??

psammeadred
05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm working on one in recycled Easter Egg dyed wool. Pics are on my blog (http://psammeadred.blogspot.com/).

Chel
05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I got to the 2nd dropped stitch tonight. Thats my goal, to make it through the pattern to the dropped stitch (my reward) every evening. Not bad considering I work 2 jobs.

Here are pics:

suzeeq
05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I think I might join in. I was wondering though, it's all in stockinette stitch, will dropping the stitches help it not to curl so much?

Yes. Though curling is part of the design, the dropped stitches and being knit on the bias keep it from curling as much as regular stockinette.

sue

snephenie
05-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I definately want to make this. I'm thinking for my grams for her birthday.

Not sure if I want to do Ribbon yarn or Mmmmmmmmm.....

Will have to decide soon. I just need to finish my right hand of Fetching, then I am in.

Sanibelle
05-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Chel -

That looks great! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I am going to the LYS at lunch so she can help me with the pfb, then I am off and running!

Lynn

mintdee
05-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Everyones clap looks pretty! ( :teehee: )

Mommy22alyns
05-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I cannot start another project now!!! :waah: This is definitely on my list of things to knit though.

Mariblue
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Yes. Though curling is part of the design, the dropped stitches and being knit on the bias keep it from curling as much as regular stockinette.

sue
Ok, great! I actually started last night. I'm using some really pretty lace weight yarn, and size 3 needles, so it will probably look more like a scarf than a wrap, but this yarn just said, "I need to be a clapotis...I neeeed to be a clapotis!" So, I'm listening. I'll post pictures later.
I love the pictures with the ribbon yarn, they are so pretty!

Sanibelle
05-15-2007, 04:21 PM
I started knitting my clapotis at lunch. Sandra's spreadsheet is so great. It breaks it down line by line. I can't believe I was so afraid to start this and it is so much fun.

Lynn

madametj
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
oohhhhhhh.

Pretty.

Debating...(since I just frogger my entire FIRST sock. :grrr: )

I gotta get a new printer cartridge so I can print out the pattern...then yarn! :cheering:

ooh, now you can print out that army dishcloth pattern (...remember?) :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm in!!! Now sure when I'll start though :teehee: .

mintdee
05-15-2007, 08:56 PM
:teehee: Hilde is going to get the clap :teehee:

I'm glad that spreadsheet helped you out! :hug:

Sanibelle
05-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Mintdee -

That was too funny!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hilde - I am so glad you are in too! Get the spreadsheet from mintdee - it makes it so easy.
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Lynn

PaperGirl
05-16-2007, 01:12 PM
ooh, now you can print out that army dishcloth pattern (...remember?) :teehee:

Ahhhhhhh! Thanks for reminding me! :thumbsup:

DragonsChest
05-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I printed off a Clapotis pattern just the other day -- not knowing there was a thread on it here! How cool is that?

I love the idea of using ribbon yarn. I just might have to splurge and jump in with you.

Sanibelle
05-19-2007, 10:59 AM
This pattern is so much fun to knit. I finished the increase section and just got to drop my first stitch. How fun was that!!!!

How is everyone else doing???

Chel
05-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I have dropped my 5th stitch. I am a bit disappointed that it is not wider.

mintdee
05-19-2007, 10:52 PM
That is so pretty! :hug:
That width is a great scarf width!

suzeeq
05-19-2007, 11:03 PM
You could half block it wider. Don't stretch it too much, but maybe block the width only.

Mariblue
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I like it, Chel, I think it's looking great!

iza
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
This is so unfair! I finished my clapotis just a few weeks ago. I always wanted to participated in a KAL! :teehee: Oh well, I posted a picture here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showpost.php?p=844359&postcount=86)

Chel I think it looks really good! :cheering:

SharonB13
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh man, I'm glad I found this thread. I just started my first Clapotis last week.

I haven't taken pictures yet, but I'm within two rows of having all the increase section done.

I'm using this yarn. :inlove:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/500769640_5ff15eac66.jpg

It's called Waterlily and was made by a lady in Canada. Here is a link to her site. http://seejayneknit.blogspot.com/

I found her on Etsy and she did a custom dye job to get me enough yardage to do the Clapotis.

I'm so excited to find this KAL. I'll post pictures of what I've got so far tomorrow.

Sanibelle
05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Sharon -

that yarn is gorgeous. I am so happy you found us too! I dropped my 5th stitch at lunch today and I love the way mine is turning out. I am using Lorna's Laces - Shephard Worsted in the same colorway as the original clapotis in Knitty. The pattern is so much fun to knit. I think I know what all my special friends are getting this year for the holidays. I just ordered some Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb in a colorway similar to the one you are using. I can't wait to see yours!

Lynn

SharonB13
05-25-2007, 02:07 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/513658874_108400c1a7.jpg
It's not the greatest picture, but this is my Clapotis just as the increase rows finished. I love the way the colors are mixing on this and the yarn is the softest I've ever used.

I have managed to drop one stitch so far. That was so exciting. Can't wait for the next one, but I've got a lot of knitting to do to get there.

Of course, school started Wednesday and I haven't had a chance to pick it up since then, but I will definitely be working some rows this weekend.

I have a feeling going to class five nights a week is really going to slow this project down. :cry:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-25-2007, 09:26 PM
WOW everyone's claps look GREAT!!! Iza, I amazed at how the shimmer knits up :inlove:

I really need to get started on this...

suzeeq
05-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Shimmer's so pretty!

sue

Mommy22alyns
05-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Sharon, that yarn is beautiful! What yarn was it specifically, as I see she sells many types?

Sanibelle
05-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Well I have made a lot of progress and here are some pics. I am using Lorna's Laces - Worsted. Next time I am using Lion and Lamb. I already ordered it!

jelly
05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
i must be insane because i am currently making my 3rd Clappie

i am using Artyarns Supermerino color #138, purple and blacks

i love my Clappies

Mariblue
05-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Well I have made a lot of progress and here are some pics. I am using Lorna's Laces - Worsted. Next time I am using Lion and Lamb. I already ordered it!
:inlove: I love that color, Sanibelle! It's just soooo pretty!
I've haven't been working on mine at all this past week, I've been doing another knitting project that has a deadline. So, I'll get back to this one probably next week or so.

Momto G B and H
05-27-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm gonna start on this as soon as my yarn gets here. I'm going to use Araucania Nature Cotton in Plum Purple for my mom. It's her (quite belated) Mother's Day present.

DoulaLyndsey
05-28-2007, 08:34 AM
I wish I knew that this KAL was here, I just finished my Clapotis! I used Patons SWS. It's my third Clapotis, I love the pattern! Pictures are in my blog (linked in my signature).

mwedzi
05-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Sanibelle, I am in love with your color choice! what is the name of that L&L colorway?

Um, can I join the KAL and pretend like I'm working on it and then just post a pic of the one I already did this year? Yes, okay. I'm working, working, working, and I'm done!

2 skeins of HandMaiden Lady Godiva in colorway Nova Scotia held together with a strand of copper colored GarnStudio/Drops "Glitter".

Sanibelle
05-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Sanibelle, I am in love with your color choice! what is the name of that L&L colorway?

Um, can I join the KAL and pretend like I'm working on it and then just post a pic of the one I already did this year? Yes, okay. I'm working, working, working, and I'm done!

2 skeins of HandMaiden Lady Godiva in colorway Nova Scotia held together with a strand of copper colored GarnStudio/Drops "Glitter".

Thanks - I love it too... It is called Bittersweet and it is the same colorway that was used in the original Clapotis on Knitty.com

Boy - you knit fast - I am so glad that you joined our KAL! I love the way yours turned out.

This is one of the most fun patterns - I ordered yarn to make a few more - next one will be Lion and Lamb. I can't wait for it to come.

Doodknitwit
05-28-2007, 10:44 PM
:yay::star:gorgeous colorway!!!
when did you start it?

Doodknitwit
05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
ok i really want to make this,,, i have trouble with the pfb.....
any hints or videos?:frog::wall::eyes::eyes:

jamadian75
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Soooooooo tempted....:shock:

I'm knitting from stash, so my options with enough yardarge are silk, sock yarn (superwash) and some worsted weight alpaca. Any thoughts on whether these fibers will work well with the drop stitch part of this pattern?

suzeeq
05-29-2007, 11:03 PM
ok i really want to make this,,, i have trouble with the pfb.....
any hints or videos?:frog::wall::eyes::eyes:

Just keep at it. It gets easier about the time you're finished with the increase section.... :teehee:

sue

PaperGirl
05-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Soooooooo tempted....:shock:

I'm knitting from stash, so my options with enough yardarge are silk, sock yarn (superwash) and some worsted weight alpaca. Any thoughts on whether these fibers will work well with the drop stitch part of this pattern?

Someone told me that sock yarn would work. She used like 3-4 skeins of the knitpicks sock yarn.

suzeeq
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Actually, just about any yarn will work, though very fuzzy yarn might stick a little while dropping stitches. I made one from knitpick's Shimmer, which is and alpaca silk laceweight. I used 3 strands so I could use larger needles, but more people used 2 with size 8 needles.

sue

Doodknitwit
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
help if you can. I am just starting this Clapotis and have not used a spreadsheet like this before.
Can I use it in lieu of the pattern... or with the pattern?:roflhard:
don't laugh...:eyes:
I am in the section 2 part on Row 11..:frog:

suzeeq
05-30-2007, 03:48 PM
You can use it with the pattern. What are you having trouble with on row 11?

sue

Doodknitwit
05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
not just row 11.. I guess I knit Sec 1 once, then move to Section 2 repeat it 6 times then Section 3 ...13 times..... i am probably making this difficult

suzeeq
05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
No you've got it right. Sec 1 sets up the pattern and marker placement (or purling the stitches that will be dropped later); Sec 2 is the increase part and you either do the rows a total of 7 times (first time, plus 6 repeats), or you can do more or less of them, depending on the width you want. Sec 3 is the straight rows which will determine the length of the whole thing.

If you run into trouble anywhere, holler for help; a lot of us have knit it at least once, some several times.

sue

Chel
05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
I am sooooo impressed with you guys. :) I admit. My clapotis is in one of my knitting baskets, a sad little ribbon lump. After looking at the width, I realize that being a big girl the one I started really looks out of proportion. It will definitely be frogged. However, it will be began again. I am not giving up. I want a CLAPOTIS!!!!

suzeeq
05-31-2007, 01:31 PM
If it's not wide enough, you don't have to start all over from the beginning. Rip it out to the row just above where you first did p2tog and take out the stitches one by one while putting them back on the needle. It would be easiest if you use a needle a couple sizes smaller. Then you can do the pfb and keep going for another increase repeat for the width you want.

sue

Sanibelle
05-31-2007, 06:28 PM
I finished my clapotis. It turned out great. Will post pics soon. I am so happy with it. I can't wait to start another - guess what everyone is getting for Xmas??????

I ordered some Lion and Lamb on sale this weekend and I cannot wait for it to get here.

suzeeq
05-31-2007, 11:00 PM
guess what everyone is getting for Xmas??????

Heee I did that a few years ago. They were somewhere between full and scarf size - about shoulder wrap width.

sue

Momto G B and H
06-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Whoo hoo! I got my yarn! Now, I just have to finish the cardi I'm knitting then I can start it!

luvmeowers
06-02-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd love to join but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get started. Mintdee, thanks for the spreadsheet! :muah:That's how I organize all of my "involved" patterns.

One quick question, though. What do you mean by "purl the rows to be dropped?"

DianaM
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I started the Clappy, using Sandra's spreadsheet. It is sooooooooo great :notworthy:. That spreadsheet is very very good.
I got halfways up to the increase section when Carpal Tunnel Decided to visit me for a bout of pain.

So I'm taking a break from the needles for a week. Then I'll get the clap again :roflhard:

DragonsChest
06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
May I have a copy of the spreadsheet, for when I start mine? Please and thank you!!! :hug:

Doodknitwit
06-03-2007, 09:20 AM
:hair::hair: before I frog:frog::waah: :whoosh::eyes::wall:
any ideas:wall: what i did wrong?? can I fix:shrug: help!:eyes:

suzeeq
06-03-2007, 09:25 AM
They won't go on forever, they'll stop at the YOs you made. They are supposed to go down to the bottom, but the scarf won't unravel. Do one and see what happens. Then another one.

sue

Momto G B and H
06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I started mine yesterday. I'm using Patagonia Nature Cotton. It's going to be one HEAVY scarf when done. Probably more like a shawl.
Anway, I worked on it a lot yesterday (at 2 baseball games) and just past the first section when I unraveled. I love doing what feels like a mistake but is really the right thing to do!

Sanibelle
06-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I started another clappy over the weekend. I am using Great Adirondeck Alpaca Tweed. This is the softest yarn I have ever knit with. I have about 15 rows left before I get to the straight section. I love the way it is turning out. I am making this for my friend who is going through a tough time right now (her dad has cancer and just has a few weeks left) and I wanted to make her something to let her know how much I care about her. I really hope she likes it.

robynbird
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Sanibelle...I know she will love it! The time you put into it will touch her during this hard time. I know, I just lost my mom 2 weeks ago to cancer.

I'm going to make another clapotis sometime...I've made two and love the pattern.

nadja la claire
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I know your friend is going to love the Clapotis. Just being there for her will mean alot.

I'm thinking of making it with my Alpaca Tweed, but I'm not sure yet.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

jamadian75
06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Okay,

I'm officially in on this. I originally said I wanted to do this in Malabrigo Azul Bolita, but I'm wavering. I don't have more than 600 yards of much yarn that I think would work, so I'm going to try out 4 or 5 possibilities, then start knitting and see what strikes my fancy :shifty:

Doodknitwit
06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
:heart::angelgrin:sweet sweet .. she'll appreciate the time and your thoughfulness!!

geekgolightly
06-04-2007, 07:04 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/513658874_108400c1a7.jpg
It's not the greatest picture, but this is my Clapotis just as the increase rows finished. I love the way the colors are mixing on this and the yarn is the softest I've ever used.

I have managed to drop one stitch so far. That was so exciting. Can't wait for the next one, but I've got a lot of knitting to do to get there.

Of course, school started Wednesday and I haven't had a chance to pick it up since then, but I will definitely be working some rows this weekend.

I have a feeling going to class five nights a week is really going to slow this project down. :cry:

that knits up so gorgeous! i want some in that colorway. just lovely. its going to be a beautiful clapotis

suzeeq
06-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Okay,

I'm officially in on this. I originally said I wanted to do this in Malabrigo Azul Bolita, but I'm wavering. I don't have more than 600 yards of much yarn that I think would work, so I'm going to try out 4 or 5 possibilities, then start knitting and see what strikes my fancy :shifty:

600 yards would do it... not quite full size, but still a decent size stole/wrap size. Hint - using larger needles results in a larger size with the same amount of yarn....

sue

puppyluv
06-14-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm officially in on this. I originally said I wanted to do this in Malabrigo Azul Bolita, but I'm wavering.
I love my malabrigo clappy! It does take some effort to drop the stitches, but since that is such a fun part of the process, I enjoyed it a LOT!
I knit mine in color "vetiver" and I'll attach a few photos for ya too:

HamburgKnitter
06-14-2007, 02:06 AM
I finally got my Mmmmmalabrigo order and have officially joined in! :woot:

Now to get caught up on 8 pages of posts.....:teehee:

zkimom
06-14-2007, 07:01 AM
I've been working on mine quietly for a few days now. I'm using Malabrigo and I have 3 more increase rows to go.

I think the reason it's taking me so long to knit is cause I keep stopping and petting my yarn:inlove:

It's so soft!

I think my new motto is going to be "Take time to fondle the Malabrigo!"

Only about 11 more rows til I can drop my first stitch!

Best,
Susan

Doodknitwit
06-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I know she will feel your love :heart: when she wears :hug: it, see t and touches it!!! what a wonderful gift from the heart....:star:

zkimom
06-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I just dropped my first stitch! Oooh, this is fun!

My malabrigo is as soft as heaven.

I can't wait to find a minute or two to knit some more -- drat -- we have plans all day today and I won't have any time :pout:

Best,
Susan

Sanibelle
06-17-2007, 12:02 AM
I started another one.... I ordered some LL Lion and Lamb and it came in. It is amazing yarn. I am in love!!! I am almost to the point where you start dropping stitches.

HamburgKnitter
06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I just finished the first straight section so got to drop my first stitch...on purpose....what fun! :cheering:

This is such an easy knit - I'm really enjoying it. I'm alternating between knitting my never-ending thermal from Knitty and this, so today is clapotis day. :happydance:

Doodknitwit
06-17-2007, 12:47 PM
advice on error...:shrug: I have finished my 1st clap!! there is one part that doesn't have a dropped stitch & should have any ideas on how I managed to acomplish that.. It is close to the end but there are dropped stitches after the void... :eyes:
:whoosh: I don't want to :frog: but do want to know what I can do different next time :wall:

Doodknitwit
06-17-2007, 12:48 PM
is that the soft wool Malabrigo.......... wooooooo

suzeeq
06-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Doodknitwit, you don't have to rip out much, just back to the row you forgot to drop it on. If it's in the decrease section, that won't be very much. Other people have cut the stitch that's to be dropped, then stitched up the cut ends so the rest wouldn't unravel, but I think it's a lot easier to go back.

sue

HamburgKnitter
06-18-2007, 05:14 AM
I've now dropped the second stitch. Now that I can "see" how the clapotis is shaped and what the stitches between the dropped rows look like I'm enjoying it even more. While doing the increase rows it looked really messy with the twisted stitches and the yo holes on the sides. Now it all makes sense! :happydance:

suzeeq
06-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh yes, the pattern is easy to see and to change if you need to for width or something.

sue

zkimom
06-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I've now dropped the second stitch. Now that I can "see" how the clapotis is shaped and what the stitches between the dropped rows look like I'm enjoying it even more. While doing the increase rows it looked really messy with the twisted stitches and the yo holes on the sides. Now it all makes sense! :happydance:

I'm just a few rows away from dropping my second stitch. If I wasn't so tired I'd still be knitting away. I'm enjoying this pattern more than I thought I would!

If I get a minute tomorrow, I'll post some pictures. I love the colorway of Malabrigo I got for this and can't wait to show it off :cheering:

Best,
Susan

catownedanna
06-20-2007, 05:18 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag undrar hur stor min Clapotis skulle bli?" = "I wonder how big my Clapotis would be?"
_____

Like everyone else I've been thinking about knitting a Clapotis...

How large would a Clapotis knit in double stranded laceweight yarn be if I had a total of 1,200 yards of yarn? Any ideas? I have such a hard time imagining how much "fabric" I'd get out of that amount...

Would it make for a scarf or for a wider stole? :shrug:

Hope someone knows! Thanks!

suzeeq
06-20-2007, 08:45 AM
If you used about size 8 needles (5mm) you would definitely get a stole.

sue

lynnc
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm a little late, but can I sign up?

I will be finishing the second section tonight and am using Knitpicks Andean Silk.

tootie44
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi, I'm going to join too...actually already started. I bought some silk/wool yarn off etsy, but not enough for a full size clapotis. It's going to be about 2/3 size.

Sanibelle
06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm a little late, but can I sign up?

I will be finishing the second section tonight and am using Knitpicks Andean Silk.

No sign ups needed... everyone is welcome....:thumbsup:

Sanibelle
06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag undrar hur stor min Clapotis skulle bli?" = "I wonder how big my Clapotis would be?"
_____

Like everyone else I've been thinking about knitting a Clapotis...

How large would a Clapotis knit in double stranded laceweight yarn be if I had a total of 1,200 yards of yarn? Any ideas? I have such a hard time imagining how much "fabric" I'd get out of that amount...

Would it make for a scarf or for a wider stole? :shrug:

Hope someone knows! Thanks!

The pattern is actually very easy to adjust the size.

On the last page of the pattern it has the instructions to adjust for the size:

NOTE: This pattern can easily be adapted for a larger stole or smaller scarf in this way:
1. Work Set-up Rows as for scarf.
2. Work Increase Rows until piece is desired width. (Measure width along right-hand side of triangle, with even-numbered side facing.) Work Increase Rows 1-6 once more before proceeding to Straight Rows.
3. Work Straight Rows until piece is desired length. (Measure length along left-hand side of piece, with even-numbered side facing.)
4. Work Decrease Rows as necessary until 23 sts rem. Work Decrease Rows 1-10 once more. Work Final Rows.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/images/clapotisSCHEM.gif

So no matter what size you want it to be as long as you do enough rows in that section it will turn out to be the size you want. I have some beautiful fingering weight yarn that I will eventually use to make one and I know that in order for it to be the size I want I will have to do more rows in increase and straight rows section.

I hope this helps.

SharonB13
06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks GeekGoLightly (love your user name!)

I'm still plugging along on this project. I think I've dropped six stitches so far and need three more rows before I drop the seventh.

School is really kicking my butt right now, but I'll try to put some more pics up soon.

tootie44
06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
I finished it. It was about 2/3 the size of the original because that was all the yarn I had. I really liked the pattern, it was a fun quick knit.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Tootie44/6-28022.jpg

Mariblue
06-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I finished it. It was about 2/3 the size of the original because that was all the yarn I had. I really liked the pattern, it was a fun quick knit.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Tootie44/6-28022.jpg
That's beautiful! :cheering:

zkimom
07-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Here's my clapotis in progress.

Funny thing is I was at an end of year Homeschool picnic and I brought along my clapotis to knit. A woman who I didn't know called out, "Oh, a clapotis! I love that pattern!" I had no idea anyone would actually recognize what I was knitting!

Momto G B and H
07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I am on the decrease rows and ran out of yarn. I'm using Araucania Nature Cotton which is not dye lotted. I hope it's not too obvious. I ordered more yarn and expect it by the end of the week.
Here's a progress picture from last week before I started the decreases.

LindzKnits
07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I have kind of a weird request, could someone who has made this please weigh it. I have some hand spun wool that I want to do something with and I'm thinking about this, I have 6 oz and want to see if thats enough.
Thanks

suzeeq
07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
It depends on how thick your yarn is... DK, worsted... It sounds like it would be enough if it's one of those, especially since you can make it whatever size you want. The pattern needs about 700 yds of worsted, on size 8 needles, though you can stretch it out by using size 9 or 10s. I used about 440 yds of triple stranded laceweight on 10.5s and it's almost full size, it's about 20" x 58". A lot of people who used the recommended yarn and amount got one that was much larger.

Sanibelle
07-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I have kind of a weird request, could someone who has made this please weigh it. I have some hand spun wool that I want to do something with and I'm thinking about this, I have 6 oz and want to see if thats enough.
Thanks

I bought 4 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted - each skein is:

Material: 100% Superwash Wool
Description: 3 ply machine washable worsted
Yardage: 225
Weight: 4 ounces
Needle Size: 7
Gauge: 4.5

I used about 3 1/2 skeins to make mine but I made it just a little bigger than the pattern calls for (2 extra middle sections) by accident.

zkimom
07-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm almost to the decrease rows -- yay! I love the pattern but it takes a long time to knit! I can't imagine wanting to make more than one without a long break in between.

I LOVE :inlove: the way mine is working out.

Best,
Susan

Doodknitwit
07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
How do I make this wrap about 4 inches more narrow..? :shrug:
I do have the worksheet:hair: don't laugh... :roflhard:

suzeeq
07-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Don't do as many repeats of the increase section... about 1 or 2 less. The number of inc repeats determines the width.

iwaly444
07-24-2007, 06:47 PM
hi all :)
i finished a clapotis & then realized i DIDNT drop 2 sections!!!
what to do,
can i /should i snip & drop
or leave it there
i dont want to open it up & rip back, even if i knew how to & besides i made the mistake down the ways a bit near the end ish of the dropped stitches
thanx all
peace&blessings
mary~

Mommy22alyns
07-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I joined in secret last week after my DH finally helped me wind enormous balls of yarn for me. :zombie: I ordered some 50/50 wool/silk blend from an Ebay seller, but I'm still lusting after the Lorna's Laces in the pattern pics!

Anyway, I need to do one more repeat of the increases before I can start dropping stitches. I can't wait, because right now it's just a big knitted triangle! :tap:

GinnyG
07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I "hope" to take this on vacation next week and take a stab at it. I've printed out the instructions and the spread sheet, just haven't "picked" the yarn. A trip to my LYS might be in order this week!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever made a clapotis with sock yarn?

zkimom
07-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Mine's finally finished!!! :woohoo:

I love it, it's in Malabrigo and soft, soft, soft!

It's huge though, It doesn't look quite as large in the pictures on Knitty.

I think if I make another one, it will be more scarf size than shawl size.

But I can't wait til it's cool enough outside to wear it!

I'd post pics but I am hobbling around on crutches and a weird bootie thing on my left foot (surgery to correct an achilles tendon rupture tomorrw:cry:) so I'm not very mobile for a while.

But I love my Clapotis!

Best,
Susan

luvmeowers
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I will watch the thread see if you all need any help. I have made two of these babies and really they are super easy, just also very easy to forget where you are. I really enjoyed knitting mine just remember thoes stitch markers! (or you can purl the rows to be dropped. I did that with the second one and didn't have to mess with all of the markers. Have fun all :) :cheering:

I am finally getting started and have your wonderful chart to help me but what do you mean by purl the rows to be dropped? I am very interested in not having to deal with all those markers.

Thanks!

GinnyG
08-05-2007, 07:37 AM
I am at the beach, on vacation for the next two weeks. I brought two projects with me.... a sweater it seems like I've been working on FOREVER and the yarn for the Clapotis. I am so tempted to bag the sweater for a bit (I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of it) and start the Clapotis.

suzeeq
08-05-2007, 11:40 AM
what do you mean by purl the rows to be dropped?

Not the whole row actually, but some people purl the stitches that will be dropped. They're the ones between the ktbl stitches.

GinnyG
08-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Not the whole row actually, but some people purl the stitches that will be dropped. They're the ones between the ktbl stitches.

Why? Does that make them easier to drop??

suzeeq
08-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Not easier to drop, but you don't have to use a dozen or so stitch markers.

Sanibelle
08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Just a suggestion - use the stitch markers. At the beginiing it would be easy not to have them but as you keep knitting it makes it so much easier to keep track of where you are. I have made 3 so far and would not dream of not using them.

JMO.....

traceleighj
08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Sanibelle- Just saw your response...I have been lurking on this tread b/c I was thinking about making a Clapotis.

I started, frogged it and got new yarn so now I am ready to go again.

I am confused with all of the markers....am i missing where it is telling me to pm- i see on the first part, but I am confused. Can someone please help?

GinnyG
08-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I just dropped my first stitches!! WOOHOOOO what fun!! I'm addicted!!!!!!!!!!!. I can't imagine not using the stitch markers.

suzeeq
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I made all mine without markers, but I counted stitches and had to correct goofs sometimes.

You place markers just before the YOs in sections 1, 2 and 3. That would be Row 14 in section 1, Row 12 in section 2 and Row 6 in section 3.

luvmeowers
08-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks!:)

I understand now but I think for my first Clappie, I'll use the markers. It helps so that I don't have to count every stitch (I am easily distracted so I do a lot of counting anyway.:teehee:)

traceleighj
08-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Thank you Suzeeq!

I kept reading but I think I was missing them. The first time I didn't get that far before I frogged it. I can't wait to start this again.....I am going to repurpose some yarn I had for a summer sweater...that still is nowhere.

Thanks again!

Sanibelle
08-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Traceleighj -

Do you have the excel spreadsheet with the pattern line by line. It helped me so much rather than using the pattern on knitty.

If you do not have it PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. It tells you exactly where to put the markers.

traceleighj
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Sanibelle-

I don't have it. I will pm you!

Thanks so much!

GinnyG
08-10-2007, 04:27 PM
The spread sheet is INVALUABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

spasmo
08-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I am getting up the nerve to cast on my first clapotis... any words of wisdom?

suzeeq
08-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Just do it! ;D

cut3z1d4n3
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi. I just saw this Clapotis KAL, but mine is almost finished. Can I still join? Can I also post pictures in this thread too?

LeslieRR
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm curious as to the yarn that everyone is using for this?

I have some wool that I was going to use for socks, and I'm wondering if it's too small. Where would I get a copy of the spreadsheet?

cut3z1d4n3
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm using Araucania Nature Wool in purple color. I believe I should be on my last skein. 4 skeins total.

traceleighj
08-13-2007, 06:12 PM
LeslieRR- I just PM'd you about the spreadsheet.

cut3z1d4n3- please do post your pics- I need all the encouragement I can get!

Tracie

GinnyG
08-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I am using Noro Kujaku, am almost finished and on my 6th skein.

cut3z1d4n3
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.rahardjo-knits.com/gallery/Clapotis/_DSC7101_300.jpg

http://www.rahardjo-knits.com/gallery/Clapotis/_DSC7098_300.jpg

:woohoo:

I love this Clapotis pattern. It's very versatile to the point you can wear it like a shawl, scarf, or a little hoodie.

The yarn I used was Araucania Nature Wool color 44. 4 skeins. Neelde US 8 Addi Turbo 32in.

I ended up with 27in by 71in when it was being blocked. I'm sure it has shrinked a little after I took out all the pins.

For more details, you can go to my blog (http://www.rahardjo-knits.com). Please leave comments too on my blog, just because I feel my blog is a little lonely.

ADAllen
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
That's beautiful!

GinnyG
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Very LOVELY!!!

MINE IS DONE:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheer ing::cheering:

I'll post pics when I get back from vacation and get it blocked.

cut3z1d4n3
08-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes photos please when you get back. Because we all need little inspiration to knit this incredible yet simple shawl. (also I love photos of FOs)

LeslieRR
08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous. Very awe inspiring.

Every clapotis that I've seen posted in this thread (and elsewhere) is absolutely stunning.

I just need to check my stash for some yarn to do this in and hopefully I will be in!

zkimom
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
To block or not to block?

I'm leaning towards not blocking simply because I like the way the malabrigo I used puckers.

What are you all doing with yours?

Best,
Susan

SharonB13
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I finally finished my Clapotis!!! :woohoo:

Actually finished it last week (Aug 7th), but haven't had time to think straight since then.

It's over 100 degrees Fahrenheit here currently and I'm doing good to move. Those last few days of knitting were quite sweaty.

This isn't the greatest picture, but it's the best I cold do all on my own.

I'm praying for a freak snow storm that socks us in until next spring. I need some serious confab time with the wool.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1210/1038643695_1b75c8b849.jpg

Currently on the needles: My very first sock! Go me!!! It's in Maizy's Nut Brown and I'm working a pattern from Colinette!

GinnyG
08-15-2007, 06:55 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH, beautiful!!!

cut3z1d4n3
08-16-2007, 12:27 AM

I'm leaning towards not blocking simply because I like the way the malabrigo I used puckers.

Best,
Susan
I blocked mine because I didn't like the way it cramps all together, and I like mine to be open and falls gracefully.

cut3z1d4n3
08-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Pretty. Pretty. Pretty.

SharonB13
08-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Best,
Susan

I haven't blocked mine (yet?). I haven't really decided. I like that it's kind of crimpy right now.

I haven't had a chance to wear it yet (106F for the high today). I'm just going to wait until it cools off and wear it a few times then decide whether I'd like it better if it were blocked.

Sharon

SharonB13
08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I am getting up the nerve to cast on my first clapotis... any words of wisdom?

So did you do it yet? How did it go?

Really, all you need to do is follow the pattern. It's not hard at all. Just have faith.

Sharon

spasmo
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
So did you do it yet? How did it go?

Really, all you need to do is follow the pattern. It's not hard at all. Just have faith.

Sharon

No... I haven't started yet. I want to knock out three more Lizard Ridge squares first so that WIP can hang out with my half fininshed Lady E shawl. I did get some yummy yarn for the clapotis. I got six skeins of Berroco Jasper in a aqua/apple green/purple/grey combination. I cleaned my LYS out. I bet that I'm going to need another skein because I have right at 600 yards and I think claps take more yarn than that plus I'm going to want to make my clapotis a bit longer. So... I'm just about ready to take the plunge and cast on.

suzeeq
08-16-2007, 11:06 PM
You can stretch the yarn a bit by using needles 1 or 2 sizes larger than what you would normally use. Don't increase as much and go longer.

GinnyG
08-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I "blocked" mine today using the steam iron and ironing board. I have never done that before but it came out fine. Unfortunately I can't post pics til tomorrow, my DSL is on the fritz and I am using the computer at the Fire hall to check my email.

GinnyG
08-19-2007, 05:36 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=938577#post938577

I posted my finished off pics in Whatcha knitting.....

spasmo
08-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Ginny that is BEAUTIFUL! All my favorite colors! What yarn did you use?

GinnyG
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Ginny that is BEAUTIFUL! All my favorite colors! What yarn did you use?
Thanks!

Noro Kujaku color #5:happydance:

spasmo
08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks!

Noro Kujaku color #5:happydance:

I've never heard of Noro Kujaku :oo:... I'm off to go look at all the internet LYSs I've got bookmarked!

GinnyG
08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I've never heard of Noro Kujaku :oo:... I'm off to go look at all the internet LYSs I've got bookmarked!
You may have a hard time fingind it, it is discontinued. I got it on e-bay, check there. I have bought several different colors on e-bay.

DianaM
08-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I had to start mine again.

I had been unhappy of how it was turning out, my stitches where too uneven and I was making too many mistakes. My bf's cat settled the matter by peeing all over my knitting.

SO........starting again, hehe. I'm halfways through the increases.

traceleighj
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh! HanAku- I am so sorry to hear about the cat and your knitting! I have been having cat issues recently and it just stinks!

cut3z1d4n3
08-25-2007, 02:02 AM
Uuuuu That just stinks. I'm sorry to hear that.

suzeeq
08-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Uuuuu That just stinks. I'm sorry to hear that.

Yeah.... I'll bet it did.... :teehee:

wildforyarn
08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I am going to start mine in the next week for my mom. I will be using Handpainted Yarn Boutone in the Picnic colorway. I can't wait to get started. I got the excel spreadsheet, but of course, until I get started, it looks confusing to me. Is there an easy way to read it?

GinnyG
08-25-2007, 12:16 PM
You will be AMAZED at how easy the spread sheet makes it!!! Just keep a pencil handy and check the blocks!!:cheering:

spasmo
08-25-2007, 12:44 PM
You will be AMAZED at how easy the spread sheet makes it!!! Just keep a pencil handy and check the blocks!!:cheering:

Spread sheet? Someone made a spread sheet? I would be happy to trade the spread sheet I made for Lizard Ridge for a clapotis spread sheet.

GinnyG
08-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Spread sheet? Someone made a spread sheet? I would be happy to trade the spread sheet I made for Lizard Ridge for a clapotis spread sheet.

Sandra (Mintdee) made the spread sheet. I'd be glad to forward it to you (PM me your emaill addy). AND I'd love to have a lizard ridge spread sheet (it's on my list "toodoo").

luvmeowers
08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Here is the beginning of my clapotis. I am almost finished with the increase section. I am using Noro Lily Multi in #117. It is a silk and cotton blend that is soooo soft and has a beautiful sheen.

GinnyG
08-27-2007, 10:21 AM
LOVE the colors!:cheering:

jamadian75
08-31-2007, 01:18 PM
:woohoo:
Finally finished.

I haven't kept up with the thread out here as much as I would have liked, but I was excited to come by and share photos of it finished. I made mine wider by doing 5 extra repeats of the increase rows. The yarn is Auracania Atacama Alpaca Color #506, and I used size 7 needles. Because of how heavy this is and the drape of the alpaca, I will wear it unblocked for now. 51 days to knit start to finish, and a tough job to manually pull down the dropped stitches, but worth the effort in the end.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1033/1286361522_6bbc00040c_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1276/1286360318_0d8fa53140_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1008/1286350070_c4aa59ab40_m.jpg

More photos and details are avaialable on my blog (http://thebrownberry.blogspot.com).
Thanks for looking! :)

traceleighj
08-31-2007, 01:20 PM
OooooHhhhhh Pretty! I love the color!

I am just finishing the increasing section and starting on the straight rows.

Thanks for the motivation!

GinnyG
09-03-2007, 09:10 AM
OHHHH that is lovely!! What a great idea!! Mine is too narrow for a shawl and too wide for a scarf!

Eloewien
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I finally joined on the bandwagon- started it yesterday in cascade 220 :) I'm on the 3rd repeat for the increase... getting there! right now... it's a boring triangle...

zkimom
09-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I finally joined on the bandwagon- started it yesterday in cascade 220 :) I'm on the 3rd repeat for the increase... getting there! right now... it's a boring triangle...

It isn't boring for long! Hang in there -- you will drop your first stitch soon enough!

Best,
Susan

Mommy22alyns
09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
I finished mine last week - it's so pretty, and it was pretty fun to knit once I started dropping the stitches. I should take some pics of it - I made it in a wool/silk blend I had custom dyed by an Ebay seller.

iwaly444
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
hi all :)
i have done 3 clapotis, 2 finsihed & one on the needles
here is the thing, i made a mistake on the 2 finished ones...
i didnt drop ONE STITCH
not sure on the first one, but on this onegoing from the right on the rectangtangle to the left its the 16th place
has anyone here done this>>???
i cant believe i did this 2 times!!!!
help

Knitalia
12-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I ordered my yarn about a million years ago from handpaintedyarns.com. They sent me the wrong yarn & so I'm still waiting. :tap: I'm doing mine in laceweight. I wanted it a little smaller & lighter. Can someone please send me the excel spreadsheet? I wasn't able to find it.

traceleighj
12-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Can someone please send me the excel spreadsheet? I wasn't able to find it.

Hi! PM me with your e-mail and I will forward it on to you!
I am finally about half way finished. I got a little discouraged there for a while and set it aside. I have been working on it since July.

Pennie
12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
I have a bunch of rowan handknit cotton yarn sitting at home, do you think this yarn would work for a clapotis?

suzeeq
12-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Just about any yarn will work for a clapotis.