PDA

View Full Version : Swift and Winder Question

KathyinCali
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I need to buy a winder and swift so I'm thinking of buying this set. Do you think it will do? Is there something I should be looking for specifically in a winder/swift? One more question - It mentions "cones". Is this something I need to buy to use the winder? Thanks in advance

Link (http://www.yarnbazaar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WinderSet&Category_Code=YarnWinders&Product_Count=3)

Modsquad was here to shorten link.

kemp
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure where you're seeing the cones thing, but if you have a swift and winder that is all you need.

brendajos
05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
well it says it comes with 3 cones. i am assuming that it means the spindle thing in the middle. mine only came with one and can't think of why i would need more than that really? :shrug:

honestly i THINK you could get the same thing from Joann.com for less money with their coupon codes but I haven't looked at their prices of the ball and winder in a while so i could be wrong. They look almost the same as the ones on Joanns anyway.

kemp
05-14-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't think Joann's has a nice wooden swift...I haven't checked in a while though. The wooden is definitly worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. I sell both and the metal ones aren't nearly as sturdy. They do get the job done though if $$$ are an issue.

kemp
05-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Ohh...just checked and joanns does have a wooden one with 40% off coupon.

cathoo
05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
The "cones" are definitely the centre part. I just found my Grandma's old one that looks exactly like that, and it had a couple. The instructions say that you should keep the piece in the centre with finer yarns, so that they don't accidentally get all tangled.

Momto G B and H
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I just got a set off ebay and it rocks! I wound about 20 balls of yarn yesterday. I got a Swedosh made swift. It's very sturdy. They ship really fast too, I had it in my hands in 2 days.
http://item.express.ebay.com/Crafts___Set-Yarn-Ball-Winder-Large-Yarn-Swift-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ270113625133QQihZ017QQddnZCrafts QQptdiZ1525QQcmdZExpressItem

mare-nitt
05-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I purchased my winder from Joanns with a 40% coupon and I got the swifter off ebay for 39.00, it is made of beautiful wood, I love it. It retails for 70.00.

Have fun shopping.
mare

madametj
05-14-2007, 09:48 PM
it looks like a good price to me, and i have that winder and absolutely :heart: it (in fact i'm using it right now--its attached to my computer desk so i can wind will i read :teehee: )

check Joanns, but be careful--buying seperately may add up to more!

mare-nitt
05-15-2007, 06:11 AM
OK, for those of you that have the swifter and winder, have you had any problems with the cake winding loose.

My first cakes are huge and loose, is there a serect to how far the winder has to be from the swifter and the angle. Needless to say, and guidiance which be taken as helpful hints always,

Mare

SandraEllen
05-15-2007, 07:23 AM
OK, for those of you that have the swifter and winder, have you had any problems with the cake winding loose.

My first cakes are huge and loose, is there a serect to how far the winder has to be from the swifter and the angle. Needless to say, and guidiance which be taken as helpful hints always,

Mare

I usually keep a little bit of tension on the yarn as i'm winding it. I didn't do that once and ended up with a huge cake that was really loose.

madametj
05-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Mare

I usually keep a little bit of tension on the yarn as i'm winding it. I didn't do that once and ended up with a huge cake that was really loose.

yeah, i don't have a swift, but i know if i wind my yarn with holding on to it and letting it run through my fingers, it always comes out very messy and loose.

KathyinCali
05-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the information