PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Green Gable :(

knitqueen
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
It's all my fault, really. I was so desperate to make this top (well, my version of it anyways), and when I went to buy the yarn they didn't have enough of a single dye lot for what I needed. I inspected the yarn that they had there and picked two dye lots to mix that I could NOT honestly see any difference in. When I started actually knitting with the second dye lot, at first it looked fine. I thought I could see a bit of a difference, but especially when I tried it on the colour switch wasn't that bad because of female curves and all that :teehee: , BUT now that I'm 4-5" into the second lot, it is VERY obvious that this just isn't going to work.

So it is being ripped. I am totally bummed out. :waah: But I've learned my lesson :doh:

sara_jayne
05-15-2007, 12:18 PM
:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

dreamsherl
05-15-2007, 12:48 PM
:frog: OUCH

Cherinec5
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
the same thing happened to my while working on my husbands leo sweater. i was all done with the front and back and 1 sleeve . i had about 5 inches left on the 2nd sleeve when i ran out of yarn. got the same dye lot but after about an inch i realized it was MUCH lighter! i was so disappointed i still haven't ripped it out yet :(

Jan in CA
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Oh no..it's so pretty! Maybe you could do the switch skeins every few rows so the color change would be intentional. The soft blending of blues would be so pretty!

knitqueen
05-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh no..it's so pretty! Maybe you could do the switch skeins every few rows so the color change would be intentional. The soft blending of blues would be so pretty!

Jan, I agree, but I don't think I like the thought of changing colour every few rows! And honestly I can't bear the thought of starting this over AGAIN just now. Don't worry about me though, I've always got other ideas waiting in the wings!! :teehee:

nadja la claire
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
This has happened to the sweater that I'm knitting for DH. I'm going to finish it and then dye it. The yarn is an off-white so I don't think it should be too hard to dye. Of course I've never tried to do this before but that's not going to stop me. Even if I botch it my DH will love it.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

suzeeq
05-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Oooops. How would it look if you started over and began with the lighter color on top? That might look like a design feature....

sue

Abbily
05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
That's beautiful! What a shame... What if you just rip out the new dye lot and finish the sweater in a darker shade than the top part? Or maybe another color entirely?

Skater
05-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Could you knit lace edging and sew it over the line?

jamadian75
05-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Your knitting was so well done!

Maybe next time you can do some cabling or striping with a complimentary yarn - or even do a lace panel on the bottom with the different dye lot so that it doesn't show up as much as it does in the stockinette.

Great attitude, just a good reason for more knitting!!

kristinw
05-15-2007, 07:53 PM
That's beautiful! What a shame... What if you just rip out the new dye lot and finish the sweater in a darker shade than the top part? Or maybe another color entirely?

I was going to suggest this. I have seen plenty of tops like that and they look great. Don't do it!! :pout:

Lyndalm
05-15-2007, 08:48 PM
You could always do a little duplicate stitch down on that section to make it look like it was part of the design.

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

knitqueen
05-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone, but it's RIPPED. Yes, I couldn't wait to take it apart and really I don't feel too bad about it anymore. I'm hoping I can find some kind of bolero pattern that will take less yarn, so I can use just one dye lot per project.

knitqueen
05-16-2007, 02:56 PM
A replacement pattern has been found!! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

I don't know if it was there all along, but I never saw it before until today. The Cropped Cardigan with Leaf Ties (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/PATTleaf.html) from the most recent knitty. I'm going to do what Jan suggested earlier, alternate dye lots every couple rows (well, more like every couple inches, let's be realistic!!). I'm SO excited about this, moreso than the green gable, so maybe it was meant to be afterall!

kristinw
05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm so glad you found a replacement pattern. That was actually one of the Knitty surprises so it hasn't been there long at all. Condolences to your Green Gable :cry:

momwolf
05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
That happened to me on my green cable sweater.The two fronts were different shades of Caron Simply Soft(so much for NO dye lots)that's why I haven't finished it yet.

carmabelle1191
05-16-2007, 07:00 PM
You've got to be able to salvage it somehow...it's just so pretty! Why not rip out the part w/ the other dye lot and alternate rows?:pray:

KnitClickChick
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
:frog: Those darn dye lots!!