PDA

View Full Version : Mohair yarn

peanuts_017
05-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I received 10 BEAUTIFUL skins of pink mohair yarn (mohair plume):

http://www.laine-mohair.com/catalogue.asp?cat=1

and I don't know what to make with it :?? Is it too warm to make something for the summer like a cami/tank top?

Do you have any suggestions???

Jan in CA
05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm making a loosely cabled scarf with a mohair blend, but I've discovered that it's still too scratchy for me. :pout:

I'm not sure mohair works well for things like sweaters (I could be wrong though), but it's great for scarves and shawls.

peanuts_017
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
it has 23% of silk so maybe it makes a difference :shrug: I don't know I never knitted with mohair yarn

Since I have 10 skins, I want to make myself something, not just a scarf, any other suggestions???

Jan in CA
05-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, I did a forum search and it seems this tank was done with a mohair blend.

kblue's tank (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=454400&highlight=mohair#454400)

peanuts_017
05-15-2007, 02:07 PM
All we need to know now is: Is it comfortable?

mintdee
05-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Why don't you try knitting a small swatch to and placing it in your bra strap for a while to see if it feels good against the skin? I would suggest blocking the swatch first since you would do that with the FO anyway. That way you can accurately tell if it will be something that you would wear. :hug:

VictoiseC
05-15-2007, 02:52 PM
That's a good idea about the swatch! I think it might be too warm and mohair bothers me against the skin. What about a vest to wear over shirts in the cooler weather? I just saw a pattern for mohair, I'll go look for it.

VictoiseC
05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Oh yeah, I have this book from the library Greetings From Knit Cafe and she has a pattern in there for a simple, airy beautiful shawl. And it's done with yarn that is 70% mohair and 30% silk. But you have to have the book.
Her shawl is pink too! (but it doesn't require as much yarn as you have)

Do you like shawls? Being in Quebec it seems you might. (cold I mean)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
there's a sweater in SNB that uses mohair... I think it's the "to dye for" one... maybe...

peanuts_017
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
what is SNB?

Jan in CA
05-16-2007, 02:51 PM
what is SNB?

Stitch 'N Bitch, but there are several of these books and I don't know which one she is referring to. :??

candicane
05-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, I have this book from the library Greetings From Knit Cafe and she has a pattern in there for a simple, airy beautiful shawl. And it's done with yarn that is 70% mohair and 30% silk. But you have to have the book.
Her shawl is pink too! (but it doesn't require as much yarn as you have)

Do you like shawls? Being in Quebec it seems you might. (cold I mean)

I just started this little shawlette/scarf this week! I got the book at the library. This could definitely be used in the summer. I'll look around for a lacey/open cardigan/shrug.

candice

PS. Of course you could just send that pretty pink mohair to me!

candicane
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I think this is gorgeous!

http://tinyurl.com/2fhcom

Also check out the pattern booklet for Colinette's Parisienne. I need to go shopping now, I think my hubby still owes me a mother's day gift.

candice