PDA

View Full Version : What needle size is this?

zkimom
05-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I found this great pattern for the Fairy Godmother scarf (http://www.purlescence.co.uk/item--Cinderella-s-fairy-godmother-scarf--patt_story_cind_scarf.html) and I'd love to make it with some lace weight yarn I got from my mom that I just dyed with Kool Aid. I just can't tell what needle size to use. The pattern reads: size 8/0 3mm needles. However, the needle size chart I found says that a 3mm needle is somewhere between a 2 and a 3 US size and an 11 in UK/Canadian size.

So what do you think? Is this a pattern error?

Thanks in advance!

Susan

mintdee
05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I would say just try various needle sizes and use the one that gets the closest to gauge. :shrug: I think that i would try the 8 first. Those holes look rather large... Then again I am no expert at all. :hug:

Ingrid
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Maybe you can send them an email and ask?

zip
05-15-2007, 08:52 PM
That's gorgeous! I want one. The size 8/0 refers to the bead size. For the needle size, I'd use a US size 3 for a looser weave than a size 2 would give you.

zkimom
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok, I'm just a ditz tonight -- the 8/0 is the bead size and the needle size is 3mm which is, I guess either a 2 or a 3 depending on the gauge I get.

Thanks! :whoosh:

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention!

zip
05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I can relate. I'm finally functional at work today after tax season, post tax season emergency crunch and a week of vacation. :teehee:

So I arrived home in overdrive. Maybe I'll have a martini and tone me down a little.

Can't wait to see your scarf!

Calamintha
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
The pattern calls for cobweb weight yarn rather than laceweight. If you are using a regular laceweight yarn you will want to use larger needles, probably a size 4 or size 5 (US).