PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Shawl Ministry

Shandeh
05-15-2007, 11:42 PM
My church has a prayer shawl ministry, and so far I've only given ONE to the cause. (I gave the teal shawl I made about a year ago.)

I'm a very slow knitter, so I've been working on a burgundy prayer shawl for the past few months, in between other projects. It's made with Lion Brand Homespun yarn, which is not my favorite yarn to work with. So, it's been a real chore for me to make myself knit it.

(I was longing to work on my Debbie Bliss Pure Silk tank top instead!)

So tonight, I FORCED myself to sit down and finish the shawl.

Yay!!! I guess I'd better not knit any more of them, because my heart is just not in it. Maybe I'll be more inclined to work on them in about a year. We'll see. Until then, I'm donating ALL my Lion Brand Homespun to the ministry, so they can use it to make shawls without me.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/500372671_d362d6a7b3.jpg

Braden
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
It's great! You're not alone, most of us here hate Homespun, too.

Shandeh
05-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I know that Ingrid calls it "homeshun" (ha!!)

I gave my entire stock of Homespun to my sister in California once ("Zip" in the forum). She hated it so bad that she mailed it all back to me in North Carolina. :P

Braden
05-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I would sell it! That way, you get rid of something you hate, and you get cash. What more could you want?

Rennagayle
05-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm one of the oddball (hah, wonder where I've heard that term before? ;-) ) people who actually does like Lion Brand Homespun. I like it's softness, I like knitting with it, and I love the way the colors look when it's finished.

I also LOVE your shawl, Shandeh! :inlove:

My problem is I'm such an impatient person that I can hardly stick with any project which takes more than a few days to complete, or has alot of 'sameness' stitching. I do like to keep scarf projects going for those occasions where I need to tote along a totally mindless knitting project, but I can barely even keep with one of those long enough to get them done. :zombie:

I am also a s-l-o-w knitter. :rollseyes:

luv2knit
05-16-2007, 02:02 PM
What a great ministry, I would love to start one at my church, but first I have to get people interest in knitting beside me! :thinking:

I know what you mean about homespun, it's not my favorite yarn either. I have a blanket that I am working on my for my DD, and I took with my this past weekend so I could work on it. (It's from the Lion Brand Website the Country Cousins Blanket that I am making larger with more squares.) I didn't get very far! It's really not that hard, only squares in garter stitch!

Good for you getting your shawl done! :thumbsup:

Sandi

traceleighj
05-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I have been involved in the Prayer Shawl Ministry at my DM's church since January. She has many friends in the group and I know many people, as I used to go to the same church (grew up and got my own :lol: church).

I have yet to finish one yet as well! Some of the ladies make two a month! Easy to do when you don't have 5 WIP's!

I started with Homespun and had problems with not being able to ready my stitches so I switched to an easier pattern. After switiching skeins, realized the colors do not match!!!! Gave up and went out and bought some Caron Simply soft and I am now almost finished!!!

I called Homespun the "Devil's yarn"! The church got a monetary "gift" to purchase yarn for the Ministry and even free yarn will not make me switch back!

purlwise
05-16-2007, 06:53 PM
You're shawl looks great, but I agree on the homespun, HATE IT! I'm making my Aunt a shawl for her 90th birthday with my stash of homespun, oh I hate it so much I don't even want to knit it! I have two weeks to go before her birthday and I'm only half finished.

The prayer shawl ministry is great, I've knit several, most recently for a friend with breast cancer. While it is long boring work to make the shawl, the results when you finally get to give it to the person and their reaction is so worth it!

Keep up the good work!

Belphoebe
05-16-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm an oddball that loves homespun too. I use it to make sweaters for my toddler. She LOVES the softness, and I love the way it washes. :happydance:

melissa.atkins
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I think it looks great. But I know what you mean about homespun, I started a scarf two years ago and havent finished it yet... :S

Sanibelle
05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Shandeh

Thant looks great. I also hate homespun - it splits so much when you work with it. I gave all mine away that I had in my stash to my mother-in-law. She made a hat and scarf for our postmand and now he brings our mail into our condo everyday instead of leaving it in the mailbox!

Lynn

marykz
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
its a very pretty shawl- I'm sure it will be appreciated. I think homespun has its uses, and I use it for things I need to finish quickly like charity hat/scarf sets, but it isn't my favorite yarn to work with.

carmabelle1191
05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I hate the homespun as well, I used it a while ago when I made a scarf for my grandpa. I could never seem to find even tension. You did a great job anyway though, and I do love the color!

larudden
05-17-2007, 08:15 PM
What a beautiful shawl. I'm glad you took the time to finish it! It's sure to bring joy to someone in need.

Maybe Homespun is God's way of teaching us persistence!:lol:

Teeka
05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
What a great ministry, I would love to start one at my church, but first I have to get people interest in knitting beside me! :thinking:

I know what you mean about homespun, it's not my favorite yarn either. I have a blanket that I am working on my for my DD, and I took with my this past weekend so I could work on it. (It's from the Lion Brand Website the Country Cousins Blanket that I am making larger with more squares.) I didn't get very far! It's really not that hard, only squares in garter stitch!

Good for you getting your shawl done! :thumbsup:

Sandi
Hi! I'm working on that same blanket--the country cousins one. I let my son choose the colors (he picked blue, red, and white, the colors of the French flag). Since I'm abroad right now I couldn't get great yarn, so it's not going to turn out as soft as it looks in the picture. It is a bit tiresome to keep up the garter stitch square after square after square after.....:ick:

Shandeh
05-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Maybe Homespun is God's way of teaching us persistence!:lol:
:roflhard:

I think you're right! :teehee:

Ingrid calls it "homeshun". :rofling:

Even though it is a pain to work with, it does make a beautiful shawl. I try to stick with just garter stitch projects with this yarn, because any other stitch would be a royal pain!

photogirl12
05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I am on the Prayer Shawl Message Board. My church is so small that I don't think we could get a group together. I usually just make them on my own and give them to people that I know that need prayers. I have made somewhere near 30 in a year and a half. I mostly use Homespun, but occassionally use worsted when I can't afford the Homespun.

The Homespun seems to be easier to work with when I am crocheting than knitting.

yiayiabryant
05-26-2007, 10:00 PM
My church has a prayer shawl ministry, and so far I've only given ONE to the cause. (I gave the teal shawl I made about a year ago.)

I'm a very slow knitter, so I've been working on a burgundy prayer shawl for the past few months, in between other projects. It's made with Lion Brand Homespun yarn, which is not my favorite yarn to work with. So, it's been a real chore for me to make myself knit it.

(I was longing to work on my Debbie Bliss Pure Silk tank top instead!)

So tonight, I FORCED myself to sit down and finish the shawl.

Yay!!! I guess I'd better not knit any more of them, because my heart is just not in it. Maybe I'll be more inclined to work on them in about a year. We'll see. Until then, I'm donating ALL my Lion Brand Homespun to the ministry, so they can use it to make shawls without me.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/500372671_d362d6a7b3.jpg
Hi Sandy,
What a beautiful shawl. I just completed on in that same color and it took me several months. I have started using #13 needles cast on 57 and do the k3 p3 stitch. I started our group at our church last May and we have given out to date 48 shawls. I am just thankful that there are several who knit faster than I and keep the supply going. Good luck with your knitting and the Lord will let you know when to start again.
Blessings,
Maria
aka yiayiabryant

BobbyeStegen
05-28-2007, 03:13 PM
My first post here.

Ditto on Homespun. I get bored working on the same large project so what I do is knit about 3 at the same time with different patterns, different threads and colors. This takes away the boredom. I do think it is a worthy cause and blesses so many people.

Bobbye

cookworm
05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Shandeh, your shawl is BEAUTIFUL!!! :inlove:

I've learned to "tolerate" Homespun because I really like the way the colors blend together, and I've used it for prayer shawls (I do these on my own). When I use the Homespun, I will only do garter stitch because the boucle of the yarn doesn't show much off in the way of fancier stitches, but honestly, it's gotten a bit boring for me to do just plain garter stitch prayer shawls, so I've done feather and fan (which is a very easy pattern to work with while you're concentrating on the prayer aspect), as well as the "trinity stitch" (this (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/25691744_ca266978ae_m.jpg) and this (http://thedietdiary.com/blog/wp-images/TrinityStitch_01.jpg) are examples) using a worsted weight yarn and slightly larger needles for a lacier effect between the bobbles, as well as a small garter stitch border along the sides and bottom. It really turned out nice, and it was a fun knit. For those that don't really want to knit row after row of plain garter stitch, perhaps either of those two patterns could be possible (easy!) alternatives to a garter stitch shawl if you wanted to continue to make prayer shawls?

snowbear
06-02-2007, 11:49 PM
When I first started knitting.. I knit.. scarves. easy.. cast on 15. keep going.. no big deal.

pearl.. knit.. just practice.

Bought bunches of homespun was going to make a shawl. Easy. cast on 3.. keep increasing.. no big deal right?

Well, I know the devil can cause problems.. and he visited me every time I tried to knit that thing.

So.. I made bunches of scarves.

Lesson I learned.. when the devil is being a pain. ... don't run w/ the ball.. punt!

KnitKath
06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Shandeh:
I love your Burgundy Prayer Shawl. Can you send me the link to the pattern? I went to KnittingGeek.com and I found several basic patterns....Simplest Shawl In Garter Stitch and Simplest Shawl In Stockinette Stitch but, the person who posted these doesn't remember the needle size. Could you tell me what needle size and how much yarn you used for your shawl? Also, what yarn?
Thanks so much,
KnitKath :lol:

redheadrachel
06-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I've researched, but I can't find it out and you all must know. What exactly is a prayer shawl for? Is it for a head covering, or what?

2x4
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree about the Homespun and will not buy it.

Your shawl looks great! My church knit and crochet ministry made shawls for some of the senior women in the church and it turned out to be the most rewarding experience when we finally finished and handed them the shawls!

Renoah
07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
redheadrachel: A prayer shawl is usually made for someone who's going through a rough time. Generally the maker of the shawl prays for the recipient while making it and/or when the object is finished. It's sort of a tangible way for the recipient to feel wrapped in other people's prayers. :hug:

jerusalemlover
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I do not have a prayer shawl ministry at my church, but I have made two now. I'm planning to make 5 more. I had trouble with the Homespun on the first one, but I was either used to it or got a better batch or something with the second and it was better. I love the colors and how soft it is, and it's fairly inexpensive and readily available. The only problem is that it seems harder on my arms and hands to work with than the thinner yarn I'm used to! I am making them for the ladies on my Christmas list. I am toying with the idea of getting a ministry going, but I don't know how many would be interested in it.

Shandeh
08-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Shandeh:
I love your Burgundy Prayer Shawl. Can you send me the link to the pattern? I went to KnittingGeek.com and I found several basic patterns....Simplest Shawl In Garter Stitch and Simplest Shawl In Stockinette Stitch but, the person who posted these doesn't remember the needle size. Could you tell me what needle size and how much yarn you used for your shawl? Also, what yarn?

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you, KnitKath. I just now saw your message! :doh:

I used Lion Brand Homespun yarn in the color "Antique".
I used a US size 13 needle, and the following pattern. I can't remember where I learned this pattern. Somewhere online. Anyway, here it is:

Cast on 3 stitches.

Knit 1, Knit Front & Back to increase one stitch, Knit the remaining stitches.

Repeat row until shawl is as large as you want.

Bind off all stitches VERY LOOSELY.
Add fringe if desired.

Good luck with your shawl!

Sandy321
12-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I know this is an old thread...

but I just recently started to make the prayer shawl... glad to read all the comments about homespun, I agree - what I found to help is to knit with the eyelash yarn + the Homespun for the scarf...

Now its my turn to make a prayer shawl - I have started it too many times to count...

I have the pattern of k3 P3
but I sure dont understand it at all - its a cast on of 57 I believe, but then doesnt that turn out a blanket?

I like the last post with their pattern...

I hate being this confused!!

Shandeh
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi Sandy! Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

I hate that pattern too. It just seems so frustrating, because you tend to forget which stitch you should be doing from row to row. You want to avoid doing ribbing, so just knit the purls, and purl the knits. Hopefully, that makes sense to you.

The stitch pattern is a multiple of 6 + 3, so you could decrease the amount of stitches if you don't want it as wide as they recommend.

You could cast on 39 stitches for a narrow shawl, or 45 stitches, or 51 stitches.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

photolady
12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Good to hear so many hate homespun. I tried making something with that about a year ago, and despised it. I thought it was ME, but, from ya'll's posts, I see it wasn't .
That's the most agggravating yarn I've worked with so far.
Any other yarns to avoid?
I was looking at your patterns, and
that preemie pair of booties was unbelievable! The Christmas hat was sooo cute!

Shandeh
12-10-2007, 01:16 AM
I was looking at your patterns, and
that preemie pair of booties was unbelievable! The Christmas hat was sooo cute!
Thanks!:hug:

Sandy321
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Sandy! Welcome to the KH Forum! :hug:

I hate that pattern too. It just seems so frustrating, because you tend to forget which stitch you should be doing from row to row. You want to avoid doing ribbing, so just knit the purls, and purl the knits. Hopefully, that makes sense to you.

The stitch pattern is a multiple of 6 + 3, so you could decrease the amount of stitches if you don't want it as wide as they recommend.

You could cast on 39 stitches for a narrow shawl, or 45 stitches, or 51 stitches.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Welcome.

Knitting seems to be something I should be able to do, knitting a prayer shawl is something I WANT to do... I just feel so ignorant - I took a class and learned how to knit different purls, stockingnette, stitches - but I surely have missed something in the brain!!

I'm sure I'd do better if I could sit next to someone!! I can cast on, but from moving from knit to Purl - it just seems wrong, and after knitting a few rows, it doesnt look right - it looks like I have a hole in the shawl - I even switched to basic yarn to see if that would help me "see" the work better!

RIght now I'm sticking to basic scarves, but after knitting 4 scarves this month, I think I'm up to the challenge of a prayer shawl!! I have a friend that truly needs to be wrapped in prayer! I know our church will send one to her, so I would like to contribute to the ministry!!

Shandeh
12-10-2007, 03:09 PM
The holes could be yarn-overs.

When changing from purl to knit, and you move the yarn from front to back to do a knit stitch, make sure the yarn goes between the needles instead of over them.

Same when going from knit to purl, you bring the yarn to the front, and make sure your yarn goes between the needles.

Or, you could just be holding the yarn too loose when you make the switch.

It will get better with practice. :wink: