PDA

View Full Version : Report forum bugs here

Pages : [1] 2

sheldon
05-16-2007, 12:04 PM
This thread is for technical bugs relating to the forum upgrade. If you find a problem, glitch, etc. please post it here and I will try to address it.

Thanks,

Stonington
05-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Sheldon, I am unable to open any of the pics in "what ya knittin" a new window opens but it is blank :( Thanks
anne

susies1955
05-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Sheldon,
There are three pages of new posts and it will only let me see the first one.
It says: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms when I try to see page 2 and 3. There are 77 unread posts so I know there should be more pages.
Great job by the way Sheldon. I loved the updates on the homepage as you were doing the upgrade. :thumbsup:
Susie

sara_jayne
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I know you are working on a minimum number of letters in a post to make it smaller than 10.....can you also change the maximum number? I tried to change my blog title and it wouldn't let me because the first list (aka. 100 things about you list) is WAY to long. Thanks!

I also cannot see pictures in What ya knitting!

Everything else looks great - thank you so much Sheldon & Amy! :hug:

sheldon
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi Sheldon, I am unable to open any of the pics in "what ya knittin" a new window opens but it is blank :( Thanks
anne

We haven't finished processing all the images, so some might not be available yet. It's fairly intensive on the server, so we'll probably finish that up tonight when less people are online.

sheldon
05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Sheldon,
There are three pages of new posts and it will only let me see the first one.
It says: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms when I try to see page 2 and 3. There are 77 unread posts so I know there should be more pages.
Great job by the way Sheldon. I loved the updates on the homepage as you were doing the upgrade. :thumbsup:
Susie

We haven't finished indexing the search database. This is also server intensive, so we're postponing until later.

Stiney
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey, less a bug than questions. I like that you change the posts per page--I picked the max number per page because it means less clicking for me. Can you do the same with the threads-per-forum page?

Also, I seem to remember you saying we would be able to customize the color of KH but I can't find that functionality anywhere.

And...

GREAT JOB SHELDON!!!! :woohoo:

rennfamily
05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Sheldon You're doing an amazing job! When I tried to send a PM I kept getting kicked back to the log in page.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

KathyinCali
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
anne

Same here :)

Braden
05-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the upgrade!

admin
05-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Sheldon You're doing an amazing job! When I tried to send a PM I kept getting kicked back to the log in page.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Try clearing the cookies on your browser in case the old forum cookies are interfering. Also make sure that the full URL appears in the address bar of your browser: http://www.knittinghelp.com as opposed to no www.

I hope this helps.

admin
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, less a bug than questions. I like that you change the posts per page--I picked the max number per page because it means less clicking for me. Can you do the same with the threads-per-forum page?

Also, I seem to remember you saying we would be able to customize the color of KH but I can't find that functionality anywhere.

And...

GREAT JOB SHELDON!!!! :woohoo:

We try to set the posts/threads per page to a limit that keeps the server load manageable, while also taking into consideration usability and slow dial-up connections, etc. We're still fine tuning things on this side, so things may be changed around a bit over the next week or so. I am not sure if there is a preference that users can set for the number of threads to display per page.

As for themes and color choices, those are planned for a future KH template upgrade for the overall site design. There's still a lot of work left to do in that regard so there's no ETA.

Cheers!

letah75
05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi,

This is looking cool! I just wanted to let you know I change my "user cp" and set it so I will get e-mail notifications when a thread I've commented on is updated. I got the e-mail notifying me that someone had commented after me, but when I clicked on the link it came up with an error message.

Thanks for all your hard work Sheldon and Amy!

suzeeq
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm having trouble getting the times to set for my timezone. The notice says that all times are set for GMT -7 (mtn) which is correct, but the times are actually Pacific time, one hour earlier. When I change it to CST, it goes to one hour later. When I change it to pacific it's still reporting time as GMT -8 with the correct PDT time. So basically, it looks like times for the Mtn zone are not coming out right.

sue

sheldon
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi,

This is looking cool! I just wanted to let you know I change my "user cp" and set it so I will get e-mail notifications when a thread I've commented on is updated. I got the e-mail notifying me that someone had commented after me, but when I clicked on the link it came up with an error message.

Thanks for all your hard work Sheldon and Amy!

I think this might be fixed now. The email link referenced the testing location where the new forum was built. I just changed that so it should work now.

sheldon
05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm having trouble getting the times to set for my timezone. The notice says that all times are set for GMT -7 (mtn) which is correct, but the times are actually Pacific time, one hour earlier. When I change it to CST, it goes to one hour later. When I change it to pacific it's still reporting time as GMT -8 with the correct PDT time. So basically, it looks like times for the Mtn zone are not coming out right.

sue

I am not sure if this is it, but you might want to check to see what the DST (daylight saving time) setting is in the UserCP/Options. Toggling that may make a difference.

Edit: Actually, it is. I tested it and leaving DST to auto for MTN time doesn't seem to work. Setting to On worked.

kristinw
05-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Not really a bug, but how do I change the title of a thread? I tried editing but I didn't see how I could go about it.

Thanks!

kellyh57
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't know if this is really a bug or not, but on I liked having the links at the bottom (Forum>General Knitting>"thread") so you don't have to scroll up to the top to get back to your forum if you've read more than one page (or use the back button over and over!)

Kelly

Skater
05-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I love the View First Unread feature. Couldn't use Quick Reply, though, and how do you paste something in the textbox without formatting?

jodstr2
05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
quick reply was taking forever to process. after 2 minutes I gave up and closed the window.

redwitch
05-16-2007, 06:53 PM
It's looking good mate! In case you're interested... when I checked my inbox for a PM, I was told I had 3 new messages, I actually had one, the other two were my last two that I had definitely read already (before the change). Either that or somebody's mailbox is accidentally resending a couple of PMs, and hence they came up as 'new'. (No hardship or problems for me as a user though as a result).
He hee... I bet you're flat out right now chugging coffee... thanks for all your hard work!
Sarah

kellyh57
05-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Another question...Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without posting? There's a few KAL that I'm interested in, but not ready to start so I'm not posting. Also, if we posted before the change, are we subscribed still?

Kellt

jhelanee
05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
It appears that we can no longer change thread titles by changing the title of the first post. Is there an alternative method for doing this or are we stuck with what we currently have?

madametj
05-16-2007, 08:51 PM
the time is off, and some of todays posts say "yesterday"

oh, and how do i get it to stop subscribing me to every thread i post on?

zip
05-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Great job, Sheldon! So far, I fear the quick reply, but I'll overcome it. ;)

Not a bug, but a suggestion. Can you make the background of the posts a different color? I lose my place at the bottom of a thread. There's no differentiation between the posts and the google ads, etc.

krazy4kats
05-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Another question...Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without posting? There's a few KAL that I'm interested in, but not ready to start so I'm not posting. Also, if we posted before the change, are we subscribed still?

Kellt

There's a drop down menu at the top the the thread called "Thread Tools", you can choose to watch a topic through there. I think we are no longer receiving notification of previous subscriptions, since there was a reply today to a topic I was watching from yesterday and I got no notice.

sheldon
05-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Kellt

Click on Thread Tools which appears just above the first thread in a post. From here you can choose Subscribe to Thread.

It appears that we can no longer change thread titles by changing the title of the first post. Is there an alternative method for doing this or are we stuck with what we currently have?

Go to your first thread in a post and click on edit. This will open the editor. Next click on Go Advanced to be brought to the editor that will allow you to change your Post title. Previously this wouldn't work, but I just fixed it.

the time is off, and some of todays posts say "yesterday"

oh, and how do i get it to stop subscribing me to every thread i post on?

Check your time zone settings under Quick Links > Edit Options. By default, everyone was placed into GMT.

For subscriptions I set it so it doesn't auto-subscribe everyone to any post they create or reply to. You can change your preference under Quick Links > Edit Options.

lissalue
05-16-2007, 10:38 PM
i don't know if this is a bug or not, but i have a tendency to leave myself logged into kh as i do stuff around the house during the day. i have noticed that now, if i have no activity for somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes, i have to log back in when i come back. no a problem in itself, but it lose all my new posts from before when it does this and i get confused about what i have read and what i haven't. is this somthing i can change, or can you, or am i stuck with it? thanks for all you do!

suzeeq
05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I am not sure if this is it, but you might want to check to see what the DST (daylight saving time) setting is in the UserCP/Options. Toggling that may make a difference.

Edit: Actually, it is. I tested it and leaving DST to auto for MTN time doesn't seem to work. Setting to On worked.

Thanks sheldon, I'll try it. I have a lot of trouble getting the time right on other boards too; this may be why.

sue

suzeeq
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
i don't know if this is a bug or not, but i have a tendency to leave myself logged into kh as i do stuff around the house during the day. i have noticed that now, if i have no activity for somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes, i have to log back in when i come back. no a problem in itself, but it lose all my new posts from before when it does this and i get confused about what i have read and what i haven't. is this somthing i can change, or can you, or am i stuck with it? thanks for all you do!

I check it to remember the login. Then when I go to refresh the new posts search, I'm still there. At least, it worked this morning...

sue

jhelanee
05-16-2007, 11:06 PM

Go to your first thread in a post and click on edit. This will open the editor. Next click on Go Advanced to be brought to the editor that will allow you to change your Post title. Previously this wouldn't work, but I just fixed it.

Yup, it now works. :cheering: Thanks for the prompt fix!

madametj
05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Check your time zone settings under Quick Links > Edit Options. By default, everyone was placed into GMT.

For subscriptions I set it so it doesn't auto-subscribe everyone to any post they create or reply to. You can change your preference under Quick Links > Edit Options.

thanx, the time is fixed, but i checked and my settings say "do not subscribe" but its still subcribing me to all my posts.:shrug:

ADAllen
05-17-2007, 12:49 AM

I do the same thing when I am at home. If you check the Remember Me box before you log in the next time it should remember you.

Susan P.
05-17-2007, 02:33 AM
I just had a problem. I thought I had logged in but clearly didn't. I composed a reply to a thread and went to submit the same and found I got the screen that asked me to log in. I went to hit the back button to try and copy and save my post in order to paste after a log in and found I could not go back. I kept getting a post data prompt drop down that denied me the potential of going back and retrieving. I am on an IMac using Firefox. I lost my reply.

The previous forum version seemed to accommodate this problematic more readily.

Susan P.
05-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Actually, just say ADAllen's post and I agree. I think I *had* logged on but I got distracted after starting my response and the delay logged me out.

Lieke
05-17-2007, 02:58 AM
After posting, firefox keeps shutting down. I'm not sure weather this is a problem of my pc, or the forum. I clearly didn't have this problem with KH before. It's when I hit the back key (I use that all the time) when it goes wrong.

-edit- this doesn't happen when I write a quick reply

Shandeh
05-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Hi Sheldon, no problems here.

I am AMAZED at how quick and smooth the transition to the new forum has been. You deserve a medal!
:cheering:

Shandeh
05-17-2007, 03:33 AM
Well....I did just find one tiny problem.

I posted a numbered list in my blog, and it turned into a bulleted list when I finished it.

I'll try it here.

Item A
Item B
Item C
Item D
Item E
Item F

SandraEllen
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm having problems seeing links in posts. Links used to be the same color as the stripes on the sides, but not they're a darker purpleish color and i think they're harder (way harder) to see now. It all just kinda looks blackish to me.

I have to hover over text to find the links.

sheldon
05-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Actually, just say ADAllen's post and I agree. I think I *had* logged on but I got distracted after starting my response and the delay logged me out.

I have increased the idle logout from 15 minutes to 5 hours. This should ensure people are not logged out while writing long/interrupted posts.

After posting, firefox keeps shutting down. I'm not sure weather this is a problem of my pc, or the forum. I clearly didn't have this problem with KH before. It's when I hit the back key (I use that all the time) when it goes wrong.

-edit- this doesn't happen when I write a quick reply

I haven't heard any reports of this. You might want to try updating your Firefox software if it's out of date. Also, you can try changing the editor used for composing messages / replying under Quick Links > Edit Options. Perhaps your computer is having problems with the advanced editor.

Hi Sheldon, no problems here.

I am AMAZED at how quick and smooth the transition to the new forum has been. You deserve a medal!

Hardly!:pout: We started this transition in Mid-March and it took a couple months to get it ready for prime time. We did a few test conversions of the old forum to the new to ensure it would transfer over (with mixed success!). But in the end, it all worked out okay. I am glad that there have been no major problems. It's hard to test every facet of the site and smoke out all the bugs.

Well....I did just find one tiny problem.

I posted a numbered list in my blog, and it turned into a bulleted list when I finished it.

I'll try it here.
Item A
Item B
Item C
Item D
Item E
Item F

There are some style glitches which are currently low priority but will be fixed. This one *should* revert back to a number list once it's fixed.

I'm having problems seeing links in posts. Links used to be the same color as the stripes on the sides, but not they're a darker purpleish color and i think they're harder (way harder) to see now. It all just kinda looks blackish to me.

I have to hover over text to find the links.

Another style glitch. We'll get this one in due time as well. Thanks.

mwedzi
05-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Well, I don't know whether to call this a bug or not, but the forum is running really slow for me. I didn't notice it yesterday cuz I accessed on work which has ethernet connection. But at home where I have dial up modem, the difference in time is really, really noticeable. Used to be that KR forum pages loaded slowly, while KH and Knittyboard pages were quick to load. Now KH is slower than KR.

Maybe it will improve over the next few days?

admin
05-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Well, I don't know whether to call this a bug or not, but the forum is running really slow for me. I didn't notice it yesterday cuz I accessed on work which has ethernet connection. But at home where I have dial up modem, the difference in time is really, really noticeable. Used to be that KR forum pages loaded slowly, while KH and Knittyboard pages were quick to load. Now KH is slower than KR.

Maybe it will improve over the next few days?

The new forum has a smaller footprint than the old forum and should be more forgiving on dial-up connections. It may be that your computer is still caching all the files and dependencies, in which case it should start to load faster once the files are cached locally.

Yesterday we were still crunching some stuff on the server for the upgrade which might have caused some slow downs.

Jan in CA
05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Not a bug really, but is it possible to make it so that the forum doesn't show a new post when you reply yourself? Does that make sense? In the old forum the thread would show a new post if someone else posted, but not me. Now it shows it as new even if I post. :shrug:

Braden
05-17-2007, 12:49 PM
This isn't really a big issue, but, why can't we edit our blog titles?

Braden
05-17-2007, 12:50 PM

jhelanee
05-17-2007, 01:13 PM

We can, but there is an extra step involved. Once you go in to edit mode on the first post of the thread, you have to click on "go advanced" to be able to change the title. This didn't work at first, but Sheldon fixed it quickly. :heart:

Braden
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
:aww:

Arielluria
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
This isn't a bug, but I'm missing the "view your posts" link at top of forum home page. It always helps me to get back to a recent thread which I have been in.

DotMom61
05-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Sheldon --

I keep getting the following error message in various threads.

FYI: I'm running on a Apple iBook w/ Mac OS/X 10.3.9, and I'm using Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Thanks, Sheldon!! :muah:

Arielluria
05-17-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not receiving emails with replies to posts. Is it coming form a different email address, other than forum@knittinghelp.com? If so, my spamblocker may have bounced them.

Stiney
05-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Arielluria, your subscriptions were probably reset in the migration...if you go into your Control Panel you can make sure you are set to receive emails.

Hey Sheldon, I'm having problems with posts not staying marked read (from both clicking on them and reading them, and from using the "mark forum read" tool), and with the main page telling me that a forum has new posts on it, when it doesn't. Is this possibly a browser issue? (IE 6 on Windows XP) or a cookies/cache/etc issue?

sheldon
05-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Arielluria, your subscriptions were probably reset in the migration...if you go into your Control Panel you can make sure you are set to receive emails.

Hey Sheldon, I'm having problems with posts not staying marked read (from both clicking on them and reading them, and from using the "mark forum read" tool), and with the main page telling me that a forum has new posts on it, when it doesn't. Is this possibly a browser issue? (IE 6 on Windows XP) or a cookies/cache/etc issue?

That is true. Subscribed threads from the old forum do not carry over to the new forum. While we were able to import most of the things from the old forum, so things were impossible.

As for marked as read forums, etc. There was some quirkiness earlier today with the forum that could be the culprit. It could also be a cookie issue, if your computer still has cookies stored from the old forum.

brendajos
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
That is true. Subscribed threads from the old forum do not carry over to the new forum. While we were able to import most of the things from the old forum, so things were impossible.

As for marked as read forums, etc. There was some quirkiness earlier today with the forum that could be the culprit. It could also be a cookie issue, if your computer still has cookies stored from the old forum.

I was actually just coming to say the same thing. i just marked the general forum read, went out of the site, came back, and they were all listed as new messages again. The other forum used to do that once or twice a day but so far it doesn't seeeem to be doing any good to mark them as read. :shrug:

michellebreton
05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Where is the button to mark posts as read?

Michelle

brendajos
05-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Okay. Cleared cookies and temp files. Closed all browsers. clicked "mark read" closed browser again, came back... all forums showing as unread again. :thinking:

madametj
05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
where are the url buttons?

madametj
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
where are the url buttons?

ohh, its "insert link" isnt it? that is soo cool!:cheering:

Krystal
05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay. Cleared cookies and temp files. Closed all browsers. clicked "mark read" closed browser again, came back... all forums showing as unread again. :thinking:

when viewing a thread, I find if I click the "back" button the thread is still listed as "unread" in that forum. But if I view the thread and click directly on the forum name at the top of the page... "general knitting" or whatever forum I am in, then it registers what I have and haven't read.

it's a bit frustrating tho. At first I was like WHYYY!

ADAllen
05-17-2007, 11:46 PM
when viewing a thread, I find if I click the "back" button the thread is still listed as "unread" in that forum. But if I view the thread and click directly on the forum name at the top of the page... "general knitting" or whatever forum I am in, then it registers what I have and haven't read.

it's a bit frustrating tho. At first I was like WHYYY!

I really should leave this to Sheldon to answer, but this is the way that I understand it. When you use the back button you are literally going back to where you were and not reloading the page. Since the page is not reloading it is not updating with the new information of you having seen the thread.
Clear as mud?:shock:

Shandeh
05-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Sheldon,

I was just cleaning out old messages in my "Private Messages" inbox, and noticed that every message I have received from brownishcoat is posted twice in my inbox.

Susan P.
05-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Hi.. this isn't a glitch as such but I have to admit for my eyes I find the 'red' of the unclicked on titles to threads or forums really bright and worrying to my eyes. I gave it a couple of days thinking I would get used to it but I tend to be a little colour sensitive so is there a way to remove the red on my browser (or tone it down) OR must I simply click down all the titles to get rid of the red? (assuming a new thread in a forum will 'light up' the red again).

knitaholic
05-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Love the new upgrade--thanks!

Knitaholic:heart:

brendajos
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
it seems like the "mark forum read" thing seems to be working now! Woo hoo!

I have to say that I agree with Susan though. I knew there was something that was making it hard for me to look at the site and wasn't sure what it was until she pointed out the thing with the Red. Not sure what would be a better color choice though :thinking:

DotMom61
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Sheldon --

I keep getting the following error message in various threads.

FYI: I'm running on a Apple iBook w/ Mac OS/X 10.3.9, and I'm using Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3.
Thanks, Sheldon!! :muah:

Sheldon --

Just wanted to let you know that I'm getting a similar error message in Firefox on our PC, too. Running Windows XP on an HP Pavilion.

HOWEVER ... I have switched to "Linear Mode" for viewing the forums, and the problem seems to have gone away. I was using "Hybrid" mode before ... I'll play around a little bit with it as time goes by and see if I can find a common denominator.

You must be about ready to rip your hair out, huh? :shifty:

lissalue
05-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Sheldon,
when i log in today, i get the "thank you for logging in lissalue" screen, then when it redirects me, i am prompted to log in again. this has happened 4 times. also, when i was logged in this morning, when i changed forums i wasn't logged in anymore. i am logged in now, but i have no idea if it will last or not.

Thanks!

DotMom61
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
:psst: Lissa ... have you checked the "remember me" box? I think that might fix your problem. If you've already checked it, then I dunno! :shrug:

:hug:

BostonBecca
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
This is not really a glitch but I really wish that the options to get back to the forum you are browsing or the main forums board were at the bottom of posts as well. It's not a big deal to scroll up to the top, but it would be nicer if the link for the forum you are reading and the other forums was at the bottom as well as the top.

DotMom61
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
This is not really a glitch but I really wish that the options to get back to the forum you are browsing or the main forums board were at the bottom of posts as well. It's not a big deal to scroll up to the top, but it would be nicer if the link for the forum you are reading and the other forums was at the bottom as well as the top.

Becca --

If you scroll down just an eentsy little bit, there is a "jump" box at the bottom of the screen where you can jump to any of the other forums. Does that help???

lissalue
05-18-2007, 09:07 AM
:psst: Lissa ... have you checked the "remember me" box? I think that might fix your problem. If you've already checked it, then I dunno! :shrug:

:hug:
thanks! i did check it this time, and i am still on, but i checked it one other time and it logged me off. :shrug: also, i never had to do this before, so is it something i will have to do now? no biggie if it is, i just kind of want to know, ya' know? :shifty:

DotMom61
05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
thanks! i did check it this time, and i am still on, but i checked it one other time and it logged me off. :shrug: also, i never had to do this before, so is it something i will have to do now? no biggie if it is, i just kind of want to know, ya' know? :shifty:

I'm not sure, Lissa ... I just ran across a log-in anomaly, too. I clicked on a link that opened a new window w/ a KH post in it, and that particular window showed that I wasn't logged in, but the other window showed that I *was* logged in. :??

Poor Sheldon. :pout:

suzeeq
05-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I never log in; I just click it to remember me and with Firefox's password rememberer I can just go to the new posts. I don't go to the individual boards, but just click on new posts and ignore the ones I'm not interested in.

sue

Mulderknitter
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
This is the first time since the redo that I have been able to log in. It kept telling me something was incorrect, I got a new password, and it kept blocking me out. Finally, i thought i would try again and I got in:cheering:I was afraid I would never be able to come back~:pout:

admin
05-18-2007, 01:25 PM
For those getting logged in after getting logged off: The problem might be with the domain name. Knittinghelp.com and www.knittinghelp.com are two separate domains to the forum cookie which is set when you log in. If you log in under one domain and follow a link that leads to the other it will show you as not being logged in anymore. Same thing happens with read threads vs. unread threads. I would recommend ensuring you are accessing the forum via www.knittinghelp.com

I am going to create a forward which will automatically force everyone to use the full domain, www.knittinghelp.com to prevent these glitches.

mwedzi
05-18-2007, 02:14 PM
It's still running really slow for me. I can't really use it at home on my dial-up anymore. I think it must be more than taking a while to cache the images, cuz I've been using the forums for the past couple days now hoping it will get better but it doesn't . Just to give an idea, I timed how long it took for this page to load once I clicked the reply button. It was 35 seconds. I can just check my messages, maybe read a handful of posts and then I have to go cuz it's just too slow now. :(

sheldon
05-18-2007, 03:19 PM
It's still running really slow for me. I can't really use it at home on my dial-up anymore. I think it must be more than taking a while to cache the images, cuz I've been using the forums for the past couple days now hoping it will get better but it doesn't . Just to give an idea, I timed how long it took for this page to load once I clicked the reply button. It was 35 seconds. I can just check my messages, maybe read a handful of posts and then I have to go cuz it's just too slow now. :(

Can you tell me what web browser (type and version number, ex: Internet Explorer 6.0) and computer OS you are using from your dial-up connection?

KnittingNat
05-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi Sheldon!
First of all - thank you for the lovely new look and features. Didn't try them all yet, but will...
Little bug..in the following line at the top of the forums the order is wrong. It should be Knittinghelp.com and then the forums, shouldn't it?

KnittingHelp.com Knitting Forums (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/index.php) KnittingHelp.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16) General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18) Report forum bugs here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=857542#post857542) Reply to Thread

sheldon
05-19-2007, 12:45 AM
I just added in a new feature. If someone posted something and you want to thank them, just click on the THANKS! icon (down near the quote button) to give them acknowledgment. I've seen it on a few forums and I liked the concept.

We have some more features we are testing and should be rolling out soon.

Enjoy!

- Sheldon

Arielluria
05-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I went into my CP as recommended and reset to send me email on replies to threads I am watching, but I am STILL not getting any.

BinkyKat
05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
No bugs but questions for ya!
I'm sure I haven't exhausted my tour of all the spangly new features, but is there a way still to look up all my posts? I notice a list forming since the change. I can't recall if pre-change we were advised the list of posts we've done would go away.
Also, is it possible to save the font change for all our posts, or do we just do that on each post?
Last question...I've always wondered...in what instance would clicking on "mark all posts read" be used?
Thanks Sheldon for what in my opinion has been a seamless transition...just ask Amy, seaming is not always fun! ;-)

sheldon
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I went into my CP as recommended and reset to send me email on replies to threads I am watching, but I am STILL not getting any.

I checked the mail logs and it shows one message being sent today at 10:39EST. Did you by chance receive that message?

Before that, it didn't show any other messages being sent from the new forum. The email still comes from forum [*at* ] knittinghelp.com.

The subscription feature will only send one email once a post has been updated, even if there have been multiple posts (re: busy thread). It won't send additional messages for each new post as it doesn't want to inundate your mailbox with too much mail. Once you check the thread under your username (re: you must be logged in), the forum resets your subscription and will send you another email if someone posts again. And so on and so forth.

Hope this helps.

sheldon
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
No bugs but questions for ya!
I'm sure I haven't exhausted my tour of all the spangly new features, but is there a way still to look up all my posts? I notice a list forming since the change. I can't recall if pre-change we were advised the list of posts we've done would go away.
Also, is it possible to save the font change for all our posts, or do we just do that on each post?
Last question...I've always wondered...in what instance would clicking on "mark all posts read" be used?
Thanks Sheldon for what in my opinion has been a seamless transition...just ask Amy, seaming is not always fun! ;-)

You can look up you posts under your user profile (click on your username and select view user profile). Down near the bottom of your profile is a link to all your posts.

I am not aware of any way to save the formatting as a preset in the WYSIWYG editor. I am still learning the ropes myself (both as a user and admin). Perhaps if someone else discovered a way they can share that info here.

When you visit the forum, threads with new posts appear in a bold font. If you click "Mark all Read" it will make all the posts appear in a non-bold, allowing you to monitor when a new thread is posted to. It's just a way to manage your experience of the forums. Some people swear by it and another don't even know that the feature exists. I was of the latter camp until just recently.

sheldon
05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Sheldon!
First of all - thank you for the lovely new look and features. Didn't try them all yet, but will...
Little bug..in the following line at the top of the forums the order is wrong. It should be Knittinghelp.com and then the forums, shouldn't it?

KnittingHelp.com Knitting Forums (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/index.php) KnittingHelp.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16) General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18) Report forum bugs here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=857542#post857542) Reply to Thread

This is sort of a nuance with this forum. Ideally >> KnittingHelp.com >> should be absent, but I haven't figured out a way of doing this without editing the source files. Something that I don't want to do as it makes upgrading the forum harder. The nice thing about vBulletin is it's ease of upgrading and keeping the software current. Our old forum was a nightmare in that regard. It was good and it was free, but it did leave a lot to be desired.

mwedzi
05-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Can you tell me what web browser (type and version number, ex: Internet Explorer 6.0) and computer OS you are using from your dial-up connection?

I am on XP and usually use IE 7.0. I am replying to this message on Firefox 5.0, though, which is loading the pages faster.

Edited to Add: Yes, much faster. I've just tried it out a little more. On Firefox, the pages load faster than they did before the upgrade. On IE, they load much more slowly.

sheldon
05-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I am on XP and usually use IE 7.0. I am replying to this message on Firefox 5.0, though, which is loading the pages faster.

Edited to Add: Yes, much faster. I've just tried it out a little more. On Firefox, the pages load faster than they did before the upgrade. On IE, they load much more slowly.

That is most strange. I normally use firefox myself but I do have IE 6 and 7 and tested on both before launching the forum and noticed no ill effects. Have you tried IE 7 recently (re: today)? Last night I made some template changes and removed some redundant code in hopes to make the site run as efficiently as possible. I do notice that Firefox is more zippy than IE, but it doesn't to be just with the forum here. I notice this with other sites as well. Firefox tends to be more efficient.

We are working on a new site design which will further economize the site. Our existing tabbed navigation is very kludgy and inefficient and will be replaced with something more elegant. No ETA on this yet. We're hoping by the fall before the knitting season heats up.

snowbear
05-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I love this site. When you upgraded, it took a bit to get use to it. But then, it is better, (In my humble opinion)and easier, and simplier than the previous.

There are no words to thank you enough for all your hard work, understanding, and patience.

This site has helped me at the weirdest hours, to understand something that I wouldn't go to bed till I figured it out, lol

I recomend this site at least weekly to someone who knits, * I meet knitters in the strangest places, lol *

Thanks again for helping us have a wonderful place to call home.

:muah::heart::hug::thumbsup:

Big Bear Hugs Your Way!!!!!

BinkyKat
05-19-2007, 11:04 PM
You can look up you posts under your user profile (click on your username and select view user profile). Down near the bottom of your profile is a link to all your posts.
Got it! The first day or two I tried clicking on it to see the pic I posted of myself and it was not responding so I didn't even know what to expect on that.
Thanks for the answers to my other ?'s too!:muah:

cam90066
05-19-2007, 11:04 PM

Unfortunately this post speaks to my scenario, as well. :( I'm also finding it takes several attempts just to get KH to open from my Faves. First several clicks net me nothing. And it really struggles as I stare at a magenta screen for what seems like forever. I've streamlined my access as much as possible short of turning off graphics. As someone with a relatively small moni, all the new features just add more 'stuff' that I have to scroll past and which also take time to load. (My issue, not yours, obviously...) I'm set up to continually clear my TIF and dumped my cookies in an attempt to start fresh but didn't help. Once I attempt to accesss KH, my sys continues to 'hang' for a period when I move on to other sites. I really enjoy this site but I've opted to pass on coming here several times since the changeover. Hopefully things will improve (translation: speed up). BTW, I set my Options to receive email notifications on threads I reply to but, to date, I think I've rec'd only a couple.

cam
(I'm on IE6 with XP.)

Shandeh
05-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Hello Sheldon.

I have a little problem nagging me, when I edit earlier posts.

If I scroll to the bottom of the post to make a correction, I am immediately brought back up to the beginning of the post. Even if I hit CTRL-END, and make my correction, it still brings my cursor back up to the beginning again. I can't keep the bottom of the post viewing on my screen. Kind of a pain.

ArtLady1981
05-20-2007, 01:59 AM
Sheldon,

Someone posted that he no longer needs to re-size his "avatars and photos" to suit the KH file size requirements.

I tried to post a photo that had not been re-sized to less than 500 width...and I got an error note telling me the photo was too large.

What is up? When ContiKnitter referred to being able to post without resizing...he said this (word for word):

"Did ya' know that the system automatically shrinks your images down to the right size, no more resizing now!"

I sent him a PM and told him I tried and failed. He PM'd me back and said this (word for word)

"Hey, Artlady! I posted an unresized photo, and there were no problems :shrug: and each new avatar I post is automatically resized. Thanks for your PM! "

Sheldon, am I missing something? In his PM response (above), he used the specific term "each new avatar"...hmmm...isn't an avatar a different animal than a photo uploaded from one's computer?

Thanks for any help. It would really be nice if the KH software did our re-sizing chores for us. It sounds too good to be true.

ArtLady1981

ADAllen
05-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Maybe your file size was to large and not the actual dimensions of the photo. I know that you are only allowed to upload photos and avatars of a certain size (storage-wise) Next time you try see what exactly the error message says. It may be telling you that your photo is too big and it needs to be less the [however many] KB.

LizzieK8
05-20-2007, 09:36 AM
My number of posts was turned back to 0! :(

Nobones
05-20-2007, 09:46 AM
On the whole I love the look of the new forum. For me though everything is taking so much longer, and often things have to be clicked again to make them do anything.

The only thing I really don't like is the fact you can't just reply anymore, you have to click something then that'll take a while then click the message box which takes another while.

It's nothing that will stop me coming here, it just keeps me longer!

sheldon
05-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Sheldon,

Someone posted that he no longer needs to re-size his "avatars and photos" to suit the KH file size requirements.

I tried to post a photo that had not been re-sized to less than 500 width...and I got an error note telling me the photo was too large.

What is up? When ContiKnitter referred to being able to post without resizing...he said this (word for word):

"Did ya' know that the system automatically shrinks your images down to the right size, no more resizing now!"

I sent him a PM and told him I tried and failed. He PM'd me back and said this (word for word)

"Hey, Artlady! I posted an unresized photo, and there were no problems :shrug: and each new avatar I post is automatically resized. Thanks for your PM! "

Sheldon, am I missing something? In his PM response (above), he used the specific term "each new avatar"...hmmm...isn't an avatar a different animal than a photo uploaded from one's computer?

Thanks for any help. It would really be nice if the KH software did our re-sizing chores for us. It sounds too good to be true.

ArtLady1981

Hello,

There is still a size limit as far as KB's are concerned. If you're image is over 150K the system will reject it. As long as your image weighs in under that the system will accept it and resize it as necessary.

An avatar refers to the image that displays under a person's username. I am not sure if the board auto-resizes larger avatars. I think avatars have to be 100 x 100 max and no larger than 15K still.

sheldon
05-20-2007, 11:59 AM
On the whole I love the look of the new forum. For me though everything is taking so much longer, and often things have to be clicked again to make them do anything.

The only thing I really don't like is the fact you can't just reply anymore, you have to click something then that'll take a while then click the message box which takes another while.

It's nothing that will stop me coming here, it just keeps me longer!

Do you have the quick reply feature enabled? By default it is enabled, but it can be disabled in the user CP. It is by far the quickest way to reply to a post. In the old forum, if you wanted to reply you had to load a new page. On the new forum, you can still do that or use the quick reply.

sheldon
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
My number of posts was turned back to 0! :(

I checked the old forum and it shows your username as having a post count of 0. I don't know if this is an error or not, but I couldn't find any posts on the old forum attributed to your username.

sheldon
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Hello Sheldon.

I have a little problem nagging me, when I edit earlier posts.

If I scroll to the bottom of the post to make a correction, I am immediately brought back up to the beginning of the post. Even if I hit CTRL-END, and make my correction, it still brings my cursor back up to the beginning again. I can't keep the bottom of the post viewing on my screen. Kind of a pain.

It sounds like it might be a browser behavior. You can try using one of the other post editors (see Options in User CP) and see if it behaves differently. I think there are two WYSIWYG editors and also a plain text editor.

sheldon
05-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately this post speaks to my scenario, as well. :( I'm also finding it takes several attempts just to get KH to open from my Faves. First several clicks net me nothing. And it really struggles as I stare at a magenta screen for what seems like forever. I've streamlined my access as much as possible short of turning off graphics. As someone with a relatively small moni, all the new features just add more 'stuff' that I have to scroll past and which also take time to load. (My issue, not yours, obviously...) I'm set up to continually clear my TIF and dumped my cookies in an attempt to start fresh but didn't help. Once I attempt to accesss KH, my sys continues to 'hang' for a period when I move on to other sites. I really enjoy this site but I've opted to pass on coming here several times since the changeover. Hopefully things will improve (translation: speed up). BTW, I set my Options to receive email notifications on threads I reply to but, to date, I think I've rec'd only a couple.

cam
(I'm on IE6 with XP.)

We're still trying to get to the root of this issue. On the computers that we tested using IE 6 and IE 7, we experienced no slowness. But I am looking into further optimizing our template an ensuring there is no code that would throw IE for a loop.

cam90066
05-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks, Sheldon. The ability to access can be a tad schizo at times. ;) Just when things seem to be going swimmingly it'll slow waaaaaaay down. I've learned NOT to use the 'Back' button as that just locks up my mouse and moni. Hopefully you'll get all the bugs worked out soon. (Isn't technology fun!)

cam

sheldon
05-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Sheldon. The ability to access can be a tad schizo at times. ;) Just when things seem to be going swimmingly it'll slow waaaaaaay down. I've learned NOT to use the 'Back' button as that just locks up my mouse and moni. Hopefully you'll get all the bugs worked out soon. (Isn't technology fun!)

cam

Sometimes our server gets overloaded if the board is especially busy. We are planning an upgrade to our web server which should provide a bit of a boost to the forum, as well as other areas of the web site. The new server will probably be brought online in June or July. Not sure if your problem is related to this occasional server fits.

DotMom61
05-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Sheldon --

I am SO thrilled with this new forum software. I keep finding new little doodads that just make things so much easier.

So, I almost hate to even bring this up because I can imagine you are just going nuts w/ all the little things that are cropping up. But, I'm gonna anyway :shifty: ...

I use my email notifications quite often to check in on the threads that I follow. It seems that I've been getting multiple notifications for each thread I'm subscribed to, plus the link w/in the email is set to pop to the "newpost" for the thread instead of the post that generated the email notification. So, when I click the link, I don't necessarily go to the post that generated the notification. Does that make sense?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For running around in circles for all of us!! Amy is a very lucky woman! :muah:

momwolf
05-21-2007, 08:34 AM
The pages are soooooooooo slow in coming up.I don't have a problem anywhere else.Is there something I can do to fix this?

sheldon
05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Sheldon --

I am SO thrilled with this new forum software. I keep finding new little doodads that just make things so much easier.

So, I almost hate to even bring this up because I can imagine you are just going nuts w/ all the little things that are cropping up. But, I'm gonna anyway :shifty: ...

I use my email notifications quite often to check in on the threads that I follow. It seems that I've been getting multiple notifications for each thread I'm subscribed to, plus the link w/in the email is set to pop to the "newpost" for the thread instead of the post that generated the email notification. So, when I click the link, I don't necessarily go to the post that generated the notification. Does that make sense?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For running around in circles for all of us!! Amy is a very lucky woman! :muah:

You may want to disable your subscriptions and re-enable them. The board should only send you one notification. It shouldn't send you another one until you log in and check the thread.

The link in the email automatically forwards to the last post. That is current behavior of the welcome email and I am not sure if there is a workaround on my end to make it behave differently. I will check to see, but I can't promise anything. :-P

sheldon
05-21-2007, 08:49 AM
The pages are soooooooooo slow in coming up.I don't have a problem anywhere else.Is there something I can do to fix this?

You could always try another browser like Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I am curious as to whether it's a browser problem or a network/server problem. Load on our server has been low, but that doesn't always rule out a network routing problem.

I have both IE and firefox and while IE takes an extra second or so to load the main page, they are both equally zoomy when browsing through and posting to the forum.

suzeeq
05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I've been using Firefox for years (and Navigator before that) because I find that IE is very slow in loading pages in general - on any site. And the new board is slightly faster for me.

sue

momwolf
05-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks Sheldon!!! I switched to Firefox and everything is FAST

sheldon
05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Sheldon!!! I switched to Firefox and everything is FAST

Glad to hear it. I think I know the answer, but I would be curious: if you switch back to IE is the site still slow? I am trying to determine if the issue you experienced is directly related to IE or is server/network congestion.

KathyinCali
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Instant Mail Notification - I love the new look of the forum!

The only problem I am having is receiving e-mail notifications when I am subscribed to a topic. I checked the option but I'm still not receiving notifications?

sheldon
05-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Instant Mail Notification - I love the new look of the forum!

The only problem I am having is receiving e-mail notifications when I am subscribed to a topic. I checked the option but I'm still not receiving notifications?

Hello Kathy,

I checked and it appears you are subscribed to 5 threads. However only one of them is showing as instant mail notification. When you subscribe to a thread there is an option to toggle for instant email notification. If you don't toggle it, it will subscribe you to the thread but the forum will not send you an email. You can change the email option by going into the User CP and clicking on List Subscriptions. The third column will show you what the current notification option is for your subscribed threads. Check off the threads you wish to receive email for choose instant email notification from the drop down list and click go. This should update those subscribed threads to send you an email.

I hope this helps.

momwolf
05-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes Sheldon when I switch back to IE it is still SLOW
Can you tell me how to move my millions of Favorites on IE over to Firefox bookmarks?

suzeeq
05-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes Sheldon when I switch back to IE it is still SLOW
Can you tell me how to move my millions of Favorites on IE over to Firefox bookmarks?

Open FF Bookmarks, click on Manage Bookmarks, under Files you'll see an Import option.

sue

momwolf
05-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks Suzeeq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krautie
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm using the IE too and it's very very slow. :cry:

And I have some problems with the color of the clickable links....sometimes I have to search literally if there is a link in a thread or not.

Do I need new contact lenses? :shock: :lol:

letah75
05-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this has been addressed as I don't have time to read all the posts, so sorry if this is a duplicate.

The e-mail notifications I used to get would take me to the new posts. Now when I click on the link, they take me to the last page I posted on. So for example on the Oddball Charity thread in the knit-a-long forum, I posted on page 30, everytime there is a new post it takes me to page 30, but now there are 32 pages, and I have to scroll throught the next to pages to see what the new post are.

Doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it gets a little old having to remember where it was I last saw, and scroll through two or three pages, rather than it taking me to the new post.

Hope I'm not being too picky. :muah: I do appriciate all your hard work, and am really enjoying the new look/options.

sheldon
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this has been addressed as I don't have time to read all the posts, so sorry if this is a duplicate.

The e-mail notifications I used to get would take me to the new posts. Now when I click on the link, they take me to the last page I posted on. So for example on the Oddball Charity thread in the knit-a-long forum, I posted on page 30, everytime there is a new post it takes me to page 30, but now there are 32 pages, and I have to scroll throught the next to pages to see what the new post are.

Doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it gets a little old having to remember where it was I last saw, and scroll through two or three pages, rather than it taking me to the new post.

Hope I'm not being too picky. :muah: I do appriciate all your hard work, and am really enjoying the new look/options.

I believe the email notification system forwards you to the first new post (re: the post that generated the email). If you already previewed the thread and then re-click on the link, it will forward you to the very last post. As far as I am aware, there really isn't any way to change this behavior.

I am still reviewing forum modifications and addons, so if I come across something that enabled people to modify their subscription link preferences I will be sure to set it up and post an announcement regarding it.

Jackie M.
05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I posted a message at 8:45 pm central time but it's showing it as 1:30 a.m. ????

sheldon
05-21-2007, 10:42 PM
I posted a message at 8:45 pm central time but it's showing it as 1:30 a.m. ????

Hello Jackie,

Check your timezone settings under User CP > Edit Options. When we imported everyone into the new forum it set their timezone to GMT which would account for the discrepancy.

Best,

- Sheldon

mintdee
05-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Have you checked what your timezone is set to on your user cp? In Edit Options. I had to reset mine when the changeover to this new board :)

Jackie M.
05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
It has the correct time. It's only on here that it shows up in the a.m. and at the wrong time.

sheldon
05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Have you checked what your timezone is set to on your user cp? In Edit Options. I had to reset mine when the changeover to this new board :)

Ha, beat ya too it! :lol:

mintdee
05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Too quick for me :doh::roflhard:

sheldon
05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
It has the correct time. It's only on here that it shows up in the a.m. and at the wrong time.

Also look to see if DST is enabled. I've encountered a couple people who had to disable or manually enable (rather than set to auto) to get their time correct.

Also, check to make sure the Time Zone on your computer is set correctly. I am not sure if it effects the KH forum, but it can affect some things if incorrect.

sheldon
05-21-2007, 10:49 PM

I just checked your timezone on this end and it says Lisbon / Casablanca. :shock: Changing that to your correct location should fix things.

Jackie M.
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
:rollseyes: OOPS....heh heh.....I just found the edit options. It was wrong.....

:blush: Thanks.........going to go hide now.

Arielluria
05-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Got it! The first day or two I tried clicking on it to see the pic I posted of myself and it was not responding so I didn't even know what to expect on that.
Thanks for the answers to my other ?'s too!:muah:

I don't like that the "quote" button doesn't include quotes already in the message (as this one above.....it only included the poster's message, but not the quote they included)......I tried the "quote +" button, but it didn't do anything for me.

I'm using Mozilla, BTW.

I don't like that I have to go to cp to see my recent posts. "view your recent posts" used to be on the forum home page, so when I went to it I could see what threads I had recently posted in, now it's a few more clicks away...........not as convenient.

The forum is greatly improved though! Thanks for all the hard work!

KellyK
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Just a couple of things....

1. The search feature doesnt seem to be working. I have tried several keyword searches that have come up with nothing.

2. Where do we go to find out who has thanked us and where? (That's what I was searching for... :shifty: )

sheldon
05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Just a couple of things....

1. The search feature doesnt seem to be working. I have tried several keyword searches that have come up with nothing.

2. Where do we go to find out who has thanked us and where? (That's what I was searching for... :shifty: )

Can you tell me which searches came up with nothing? It will help me troubleshoot things.

Thanks info can be found by viewing your profile. Down near the bottom left is a box with thanks info and links you can follow to see posts that you have been thanked for.

Jan in CA
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks info can be found by viewing your profile. Down near the bottom left is a box with thanks info and links you can follow to see posts that you have been thanked for.

I don't see this on mine. Is it listed under "thanks" or something? I'm not sure if I'm just blind. :??:

As for searching..I just put in the word "thanks" to see what would come up and got no results either. I know there should be some.

dustinac
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm having trouble with the html link button today.. it keeps putting 2 https in front of my link like on this thread
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58977

I have had to go back and do it the old way I thought it worked for me the other day.. not sure what I'm doing wrong though??? help :rofling:

TIA

sheldon
05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't like that the "quote" button doesn't include quotes already in the message (as this one above.....it only included the poster's message, but not the quote they included)......I tried the "quote +" button, but it didn't do anything for me.

I'm using Mozilla, BTW.

I don't like that I have to go to cp to see my recent posts. "view your recent posts" used to be on the forum home page, so when I went to it I could see what threads I had recently posted in, now it's a few more clicks away...........not as convenient.

The forum is greatly improved though! Thanks for all the hard work!

The two forums are different so it is impossible to have their behaviors be identical. I think the removal of nested quotes may be a benefit to some and a nuisance to others. I guess it depends upon your preference.

The QUOTE+ button is for clicking on multiple posts that you want to quote and reply to. Clicking it should turn the button red, repeat for any other posts you want to quote and then click on the POST REPLY. The post editor should automatically be populated with the quoted posts that you clicked on.

There currently isn't any option or mod to enable "view your posts" on the main page. I hesitant to do to much customizing as it makes upgrading the forum more tedious (all the customizing has to be noted and re-added anytime we upgrade). Since we installed vBulletin, the vendor has issued three software upgrades which we installed :ick:.

sheldon
05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't see this on mine. Is it listed under "thanks" or something? I'm not sure if I'm just blind. :??:

As for searching..I just put in the word "thanks" to see what would come up and got no results either. I know there should be some.

Check your profile by clicking on your username and clicking view public profile. Should be a thanks box in there with a link to find all thanked posts by Ingrid. Hope that helps.

sheldon
05-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm having trouble with the html link button today.. it keeps putting 2 https in front of my link like on this thread
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58977

I have had to go back and do it the old way I thought it worked for me the other day.. not sure what I'm doing wrong though??? help :rofling:

TIA

Hello, I just tested this and I am not seeing this problem on my end. When you insert a link, I take it you are highlighting the text, then clicking on the earth+chainlink icon in the editor which opens up the popup prompt. The prompt should include http://, so if you copy and paste a link that already has a http:// you will want to remove out the existing http://

Best,

- Sheldon

dustinac
05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you!! I thought for sure I was doing that earlier but just tried it and they now work.. :teehee:

lissalue
05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
The two forums are different so it is impossible to have their behaviors be identical. I think the removal of nested quotes may be a benefit to some and a nuisance to others. I guess it depends upon your preference.

The QUOTE+ button is for clicking on multiple posts that you want to quote and reply to. Clicking it should turn the button red, repeat for any other posts you want to quote and then click on the POST REPLY. The post editor should automatically be populated with the quoted posts that you clicked on.

There currently isn't any option or mod to enable "view your posts" on the main page. I hesitant to do to much customizing as it makes upgrading the forum more tedious (all the customizing has to be noted and re-added anytime we upgrade). Since we installed vBulletin, the vendor has issued three software upgrades which we installed :ick:.

i thanked you cause i had no clue what the quote+ button was for and i have been trying to figure out how to quote multiple people!!

Stiney
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Nested quoting is gone? :pout: It's hard to keep the thread of the convo going when I can only see the very last bit that's being replied to. Is the only thing similar to it the Quote+ button?

Jan in CA
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Check your profile by clicking on your username and clicking view public profile. Should be a thanks box in there with a link to find all thanked posts by Ingrid. Hope that helps.

THAT'S what I was doing wrong! I was clicking "User CP" rather than my name to see the public profile. Now I know what to do and how to help others find it. :cheering:

figaro
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Mine is not a problem, I just did not know where else to go to thank you for adding the "View First Unread" and the "new Posts" up in the corner. They both save time in finding out in seeing what people are talking about! (does that make sense?:??)

Thanks alot for all the new features!:cheering:

suzeeq
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Mine is not a problem, I just did not know where else to go to thank you for adding the "View First Unread" and the "new Posts" up in the corner. They both save time in finding out in seeing what people are talking about! (does that make sense?:??)

Thanks alot for all the new features!:cheering:

The old board had a `View new posts since last visit' link, or words to that effect. It's the only way I can keep up.

And I do have a query for Sheldon....

The links do change color on the threads I've already visited after I reload the page (or click new posts) but the next time I visit the site after shutting down, they're not highlighted anymore. At all. The old site would keep the color change, though sometimes it changed; I swear some of the threads it had marked that I read, I never went to. Is there something that can keep the visited links marked in a different color from session to session?

sue

sheldon
05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
The old board had a `View new posts since last visit' link, or words to that effect. It's the only way I can keep up.

The links do change color on the threads I've already visited after I reload the page (or click new posts) but the next time I visit the site after shutting down, they're not highlighted anymore. At all. The old site would keep the color change, though sometimes it changed; I swear some of the threads it had marked that I read, I never went to. Is there something that can keep the visited links marked in a different color from session to session?

sue

The links on the mainpage of the forum will appear red/orange if there are new posts/threads (re: activity) since the last time you visited. If you go into a forum and click "mark forum read", and go back to the main page, that link should now appear dark blue. It will change back to red once a new thread or post has been made.

The same thing with the threads. If you click and read a thread and go back to the thread index, it will appear as a lighter weight blue font, instead of the usual bold red.

I think for most people these session features work. However, a few people's computers can have problems with them. I recommend clearing out your cookies, as you might have an older cookie on your computer. Also, never use the back button when navigating the forum as it can cause some problems. And lastly, make sure when you are accessing the web site you reach it by www.knittinghelp.com and not knittinghelp.com. If you use both, your computer will maintain 2 sets of cookies for your visits and they will both behave differently.

I hope this helps.

Shandeh
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Sheldon,

When I am viewing private messages, if I switch to view my Sent items, the banner ad at the top of the page automatically opens to a new webpage.

Also, is there a way to edit Sent messages before they are viewed by the receiver?

Thanks.:star:

brownishcoat
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Now if only we could get...(see attachment)

Why can't I insert special characters? :?? I'm trying to insert an ellipsis with alt-0133, and it keeps kicking me out of the "Post Reply" page.

:waah:

suzeeq
05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I think the Quick Reply won't let you do that, you have to use the Post Reply link on the left.

sheldon
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Sheldon,

When I am viewing private messages, if I switch to view my Sent items, the banner ad at the top of the page automatically opens to a new webpage.

Also, is there a way to edit Sent messages before they are viewed by the receiver?

Thanks.:star:

That's odd. You mean the knitting store advertisement opens when you change to sent items? I don't think that is normal behavior. It doesn't do that for Amy or myself.

As far as I know there's currently no way to edit sent messages. If I come across something I will enable it.

Best,

- Sheldon

sheldon
05-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Now if only we could get...(see attachment)

Why can't I insert special characters? :?? I'm trying to insert an ellipsis with alt-0133, and it keeps kicking me out of the "Post Reply" page.

:waah:

I am keeping custom hacks down to a minimum at the moment. It makes upgrading harder. If it isn't something that can be enabled in the software we're passing it over for the time being.

I've tested inserting special characters into the quickreply and post reply WYSIYIG editors using ALT+ commands and they are working just fine here. You need to use the number keypad and ensure the num lock is on. If it's off strange things may occur!:shock:

sheldon
05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Hello All,

I am going to unstick this thread. I think the big bugs are pretty much cleared up and I thank everyone for taking a moment to report them to me. We are still working on implementing new features and improvements as they fit into the structure of the new software. I've received a bazillion requests for certain features and improvements and while I can't do them all, I will try to keep them in mind as we continue to improve the KH forum.

Thanks again and enjoy the new forum!

- Sheldon

Shandeh
05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
That's odd. You mean the knitting store advertisement opens when you change to sent items? I don't think that is normal behavior. It doesn't do that for Amy or myself.
Exactly. When I click the drop down menu to go to Sent Items instead of my Inbox, a new IE window opens, displaying the webpage for the advertised store.

(It happens sporadically....not every time.)

I'm using Windows XP with IE 7.0

Thanks!

Arielluria
05-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Hello All,

I am going to unstick this thread. I think the big bugs are pretty much cleared up and I thank everyone for taking a moment to report them to me. We are still working on implementing new features and improvements as they fit into the structure of the new software. I've received a bazillion requests for certain features and improvements and while I can't do them all, I will try to keep them in mind as we continue to improve the KH forum.

Thanks again and enjoy the new forum!

- SheldonThanks Sheldon, great work!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheering::happydancing::hug:

sheldon
05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Exactly. When I click the drop down menu to go to Sent Items instead of my Inbox, a new IE window opens, displaying the webpage for the advertised store.

(It happens sporadically....not every time.)

I'm using Windows XP with IE 7.0

Thanks!

That is quite odd. I have tried to duplicate this using IE 7 and all seems to work as it should. So I'm afraid don't have any advice for you.:cry: Maybe if someone else experiencing this problem they can respond here.

Krystal
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM

sue

The links on the mainpage of the forum will appear red/orange if there are new posts/threads (re: activity) since the last time you visited. If you go into a forum and click "mark forum read", and go back to the main page, that link should now appear dark blue. It will change back to red once a new thread or post has been made.

The same thing with the threads. If you click and read a thread and go back to the thread index, it will appear as a lighter weight blue font, instead of the usual bold red.

I think for most people these session features work. However, a few people's computers can have problems with them. I recommend clearing out your cookies, as you might have an older cookie on your computer. Also, never use the back button when navigating the forum as it can cause some problems. And lastly, make sure when you are accessing the web site you reach it by www.knittinghelp.com (http://www.knittinghelp.com) and not knittinghelp.com. If you use both, your computer will maintain 2 sets of cookies for your visits and they will both behave differently.

I hope this helps.

Sheldon, this ins't a big huge problem, but drives me nuts and confuses the heck outta me.

But for me, when I click "mark as read" all the posts revert to unbold font, but if I have not actually gone in and read the thread, it still remains red. (lots of rhyming there)

Also, more frustating, is when someone replies to a thread, it goes right back to being bright red and bold and then I can't remember which ones I have read and haven't, and I find myself just leaving and not bothering to figure it out... Before the links I clicked would be coloured as a visited link, (darker) but if someone replied it bounced to the top. But the darker link told me I had already viewed that topic, and could do what I want. All these red bold links just make me think I haven't read anything and cannot sort between old and new...

It's just frustrating. I'm sorry.

Arielluria
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm still seeing the links as purple and non-underlined, so they are hard to distinguish from the regular black text.

I think it would be better if they were blue and underlined as usual, don't you? It should be an easy CSS change.

I know I can change my browser to do that for me, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Awesome changes!

Arielluria
05-23-2007, 06:05 PM
I clicked "search" on forum main page for the first time and I didn't see an option to search all postings. Am I missing something? I was trying to find an old post of mine by title.

I'm using Mozilla.

hunterjenn
05-24-2007, 01:54 AM
:woot: I love all the new forum features!! :woot: Thank you! :muah:

The only weird thing I've encountered is that sometimes when I'm clicking on several emoticons in a row, they come up with a space in the middle of the word. For example:

:hug::heart: :hug::heart::hug::heart::hug::heart::hug::heart::h ug::heart::hug:

If I click on edit, it doesn't show the space mid-word. If I delete the freaky one and try to replace it, it still happens. :?? So NOT a big deal, but kind of odd....

ETA: If I click "edit" to look at it on this post, of course it works fine. :roll: But this is the page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=41587&page=147)where it happened to me originally, and I still can't see it in the edit window/edit it correctly there.

nuknitter
05-24-2007, 02:20 AM
GREAT changes, Sheldon - it must've taken a LOT of work. Thanks for doing all this for us!

BTW, I've looked and looked, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - there used to be a handy little feature on the index page: "Read responses to my posts", or some such link. Super handy if I had posted a lot of questions, and wanted to see them all on one page. I looked under User CP settings and didn't see them, and don't see it anywhere else.

Is it still an option for us?

Thank you! :muah:

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
That is quite odd. I have tried to duplicate this using IE 7 and all seems to work as it should. So I'm afraid don't have any advice for you.:cry: Maybe if someone else experiencing this problem they can respond here.

Thank you for trying, Sheldon! Maybe it was just a weird set of occurences for me. :shrug:

Stiney
05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm still having a hard time with posts being marked unread when they're read. Except, it's only on the main forum page (I use the left-most "KnittingHelp.com Forum" link to get back to the main page.) It will say that there are unread posts on, say, the General Knitting board, but when I click on the General Knitting board, they are all marked read.

The problem only seems to happen when I actually click on threads and read them. When I use "mark forum read" and have not read ANY of the posts, it doesn't happen. If I click on all posts, or click and use "mark forum read," the main page will tell me that board has new posts. :wall:

Arielluria
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Does it show them correctly as "read" right after you read them, and only on returning shows unread?

Could it be your browser is clearing its cache each time you turn it off?

Just a thought.

Stiney
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
An example: I go to the General Knitting board. I click on this thread. I click back to General Knitting--it marks this thread as read. I make sure all other threads on the GenKnitting board are marked read--either through clicking or through marking the forum read. I click back to the main forum page, it marks the GenKnitting board as having unread posts. :wall:

If I navigate away and come back, or close the browser window and come back, loads of posts are marked as unread that I have read. I've cleared the cache, deleted cookies, deleted Temporary Internet Files. :wall: I can't exactly call IT about this, because I'm not supposed to be on KH from work. :shifty:

Arielluria
05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
The closing of the browser is what is telling me that probably each time you close your browser it IS automatically clearing your cache (perhaps to keep IT from knowing where you have been?)
:whistle:
But I digress................

If that is how you have it set, then each time you reopen your browser it will not have a trace of you having visited that page, and thus mark it as unread.

(I still haven't figured out HOW it marks as read or unread. What should I be looking for?)

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello again, THE AMAZING SHELDON :notworthy:

Just wanted to let you know that I'm getting multiple reply notifications for the same thread when I'm browsing the forum.

I've attached a screen shot of my email inbox. I got all 4 of these notifications in about 3 minutes, while I was continually logged in.

sheldon
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Hello again, THE AMAZING SHELDON :notworthy:

Just wanted to let you know that I'm getting multiple reply notifications for the same thread when I'm browsing the forum.

I've attached a screen shot of my email inbox. I got all 4 of these notifications in about 3 minutes, while I was continually logged in.

I see the messages are all for the bugs threads. Are the messages all identical or do they reference different new posts within the bugs thread?

sheldon
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
An example: I go to the General Knitting board. I click on this thread. I click back to General Knitting--it marks this thread as read. I make sure all other threads on the GenKnitting board are marked read--either through clicking or through marking the forum read. I click back to the main forum page, it marks the GenKnitting board as having unread posts. :wall:

If I navigate away and come back, or close the browser window and come back, loads of posts are marked as unread that I have read. I've cleared the cache, deleted cookies, deleted Temporary Internet Files. :wall: I can't exactly call IT about this, because I'm not supposed to be on KH from work. :shifty:

I am not sure what's going on in your situation. The forum is supposed to keep track of these things using cookies and the forum's database. Do you only get this behavior at work? I am wondering if there is something on your work computer or network that is preventing this stuff from being tracked.

Stiney
05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I haven't been on enough from home since the upgrade to notice to say for sure, but I think it's just here. I'll pay better attention. I use IE 6 on Windows XP at work ( :ick: and :ick:), and either Firefox on Windows XP, Safari on Mac OS X or Firefox on Mac OS X. (hah. I am such a geek.)

I'm less concerned about the cookies resetting when I navigate away or close the window--it used to do that pre-upgrade occasionally, too, and only on this computer. It's the "you have a new post, PSYCH NO YOU DON'T" that bugs me. :teehee:

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I see the messages are all for the bugs threads. Are the messages all identical or do they reference different new posts within the bugs thread?
I got those 4 notifications, and I noticed in the thread that there were only 2 messages since my prior visit here.

Just now, I got 8 more notifications for this thread, but there have only been 3 entries since the last visit. Weird. :think:

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
It's the "you have a new post, PSYCH NO YOU DON'T" that bugs me. :teehee:
:roflhard:

blueeyes28
05-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I am not getting notified of new posts am I the only one??

nuknitter
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
GREAT changes, Sheldon - it must've taken a LOT of work. Thanks for doing all this for us!

BTW, I've looked and looked, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - there used to be a handy little feature on the index page: "Read responses to my posts", or some such link. Super handy if I had posted a lot of questions, and wanted to see them all on one page. I looked under User CP settings and didn't see them, and don't see it anywhere else.

Is it still an option for us?

Thank you! :muah:

Does anyone besides me use this feature? I found it very useful - anyone have an answer??

Arielluria
05-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I think that's the same thing i complained about, the "view my recent posts" is gone from home forum page. I believe Sheldon said it can be found in the CP now.

nuknitter
05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I think that's the same thing i complained about, the "view my recent posts" is gone from home forum page. I believe Sheldon said it can be found in the CP now.

Aaargh!! I keep looking, but I can't find it, even in the User CP! :wall: Am I this much of dunce? Help! :help: I will be seriously grateful...

brownishcoat
05-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Try the "New Posts" link in the "User CP" banner.

sheldon
05-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I haven't been on enough from home since the upgrade to notice to say for sure, but I think it's just here. I'll pay better attention. I use IE 6 on Windows XP at work ( :ick: and :ick:), and either Firefox on Windows XP, Safari on Mac OS X or Firefox on Mac OS X. (hah. I am such a geek.)

I'm less concerned about the cookies resetting when I navigate away or close the window--it used to do that pre-upgrade occasionally, too, and only on this computer. It's the "you have a new post, PSYCH NO YOU DON'T" that bugs me. :teehee:

I change the way read forums/threads are tracked. Things are now tracked in our database rather than in a cookie on your computer. This should fix the problem some people are experiencing with wonky thread markings, etc. Also, it should mean that your home computer and work computer will be in sync (if you've read a thread at home and you went to work, that thread would be marked read (as long as nothing new was posted to it). I posted an announcement about this with some more info.

sheldon
05-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Aaargh!! I keep looking, but I can't find it, even in the User CP! :wall: Am I this much of dunce? Help! :help: I will be seriously grateful...

Click on your username as it appear in any post you made and select "Find more posts by nuknitter". I will be adding this under the quicklink menu too.

hunterjenn
05-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Ummm...here's a new one several of us are having. In the notification emails, when I click on the link to go to the new post, I end up 10/15/20 pages before the last page. Just started happening mid-morning today. Any idea what's going on?

sheldon
05-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Ummm...here's a new one several of us are having. In the notification emails, when I click on the link to go to the new post, I end up 10/15/20 pages before the last page. Just started happening mid-morning today. Any idea what's going on?

This may be resolved with the new read post tracking system.

suzeeq
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Aaaaaaah! I don't follow the individual boards or use the new tracking system, but just click on the New Posts link at the index. Now, I get the message "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." between the last time I clicked and the current time the, and I don't know where I am....! I don't know which of the older ones have new threads as I have always used the post time.

ETA: as an example, this post doesn't move the thread to the top of the list; it's buried somewhere.

CarmenIbanez
05-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I love that Sheldon's join date is 1976. Been working so long on this that you feel like it's been 31 years? :lol:

hunterjenn
05-25-2007, 07:34 PM
This may be resolved with the new read post tracking system.

K, I'll try that. Does that mean the email notifications won't really work right anymore?

Poor Sheldon--every time you fix one thing for us, we're unhappy about something else! :roll: Thanks for everything you're doing!

ETA: Doh! I get it (now that I actually read your announcement). It's freaking out because it thinks everything's new. I like the new feature! Cool!

nuknitter
05-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Click on your username as it appear in any post you made and select "Find more posts by nuknitter". I will be adding this under the quicklink menu too.

Found it! Works great, and I'll keep an eyeball peeled for it under the quicklink tab.
:muah: and :hug: Can we send you and Amy some cookies, or something?? Seriously, just let me (us) know - you'd probably drown under the pile, but at least you wouldn't go hungry!

Thanks for all you and Amy do for us crazies - much, much appreciated...

~Jude

sheldon
05-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Aaaaaaah! I don't follow the individual boards or use the new tracking system, but just click on the New Posts link at the index. Now, I get the message "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." between the last time I clicked and the current time the, and I don't know where I am....! I don't know which of the older ones have new threads as I have always used the post time.

ETA: as an example, this post doesn't move the thread to the top of the list; it's buried somewhere.

The new tracking system is same as the old one, just this one works accurately. However, in switching to the new system the site is going to think that every post is a new post to you since it hasn't learned which posts you visited, yet. For myself, I went in and marked all forums as read. Now I can easily keep track of new posts.

sheldon
05-25-2007, 10:15 PM
K, I'll try that. Does that mean the email notifications won't really work right anymore?

As far as I know subscriptions should still work. I think the problem a lot of people have with the subscriptions is they forget to toggle the Instant Email feature when they subscribe. Subscriptions can be set to "No email", "Instant", "Daily Digest" and "Weekly Digest". You can check to see what your current subscriptions are and what delivery option is currently enabled for each by going to the User CP and choosing List Subscriptions. The Notification column should say "Instant" for the subscription that you want emailed to you. You can change the settings for each by checking the box to the right of each subscription and selecting the Instant Email Notification from the drop down list below.

Also, the server doesn't send the messages out instantly. I believe it queues them up in batches and sends them out every 5 minutes or so. This is just to keep the server happy during busy periods.

sheldon
05-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I love that Sheldon's join date is 1976. Been working so long on this that you feel like it's been 31 years? :lol:

My work is never done here! But I am very excited about the new forum software and what it has enabled us to provide to KH'ers. We're going to be launching a forum integrated chat within the next week or so (once our new server is online). Our existing chat is quite poor and not integrated into our forum in any way. So keep an eye out.

Ahh, this is my 100th post!

suzeeq
05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
The new tracking system is same as the old one, just this one works accurately. However, in switching to the new system the site is going to think that every post is a new post to you since it hasn't learned which posts you visited, yet. For myself, I went in and marked all forums as read. Now I can easily keep track of new posts.

Actually no, it doesn't work the same as the old one. What I mean is, every time I was clicking New Posts, it would bring the newest ones up to the top. Didn't matter if it had been 15 minutes, or 4 hours. So by keeping track of the last time I looked, ALL threads with new posts showed up at the time. If I closed the browser, then it would be only the posts since I looked last time. Now when I click new posts, it seems that threads that have had new posts added are buried back several pages. Incidentally, there's 11+ pages in the search for new posts, going back to last Sunday.

But maybe it will work better now. I'll try marking all read and see what difference that makes.

sue

sheldon
05-25-2007, 11:01 PM
But maybe it will work better now. I'll try marking all read and see what difference that makes.

That would be my suggestion. The tracking change basically reset ALL messages to unread, so you have to tell it that you've read them all in order for it to differentiate new posts from the old posts.

suzeeq
05-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Yes, that seemed to work, Sheldon. Guess I'll just have to do that every time I check the board. Thanks for your patience in replying to everyone's questions, queries and comments. :D

sue

Stiney
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
:notworthy:

Shandeh
05-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I can't do a blooby dance, but I'll celebrate your 100 posts anyway!
:cheering: :happydance: :star: :happydance: :cheering:

Sheldon, I'm still having the same problem with multiple notifications in my email for thread replies.

susies1955
05-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Yes everytime you go to leave the board you have to click on "Mark Forums Read"........I wish it could be worked out so when you leave and come back you just get the brand new posts like it use to be on the old forum. I forget to do it once in a while and when I came back I have no clue what is old and what is new. :) O Well.
I love all the other changes. :)
Susie

suzeeq
05-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes everytime you go to leave the board you have to click on "Mark Forums Read"........I wish it could be worked out so when you leave and come back you just get the brand new posts like it use to be on the old forum. I forget to do it once in a while and when I came back I have no clue what is old and what is new. :) O Well.
I love all the other changes. :)
Susie

Yeah that works except for any posts in the 10-15 minutes since you clicked New Posts and Mark Forums read. There's going to be some lost in that time span. Though today I've been able to click on New posts and still bring up threads that I read a bit earlier that have had new posts added to them.

sue

Jan in CA
05-26-2007, 03:29 PM
For perspective here...
When I go into a forum the new posts are red and at the top of the page.
If I read or reply they turn to red, but are not bold. When I leave and then return they are purple if no new replies have been made.

If I mark forums read they turn red, but not bold and then turn purple when I leave and return.

Is this not what anyone else is seeing? :??

sheldon
05-26-2007, 08:13 PM
For perspective here...
If I read or reply they turn to red, but are not bold. When I leave and then return they are purple if no new replies have been made.

If I mark forums read they turn red, but not bold and then turn purple when I leave and return.

That is exactly how it's designed to work. The forum should show new posts in bold red with the NEWEST posts near the top of the page (in chronological order from newest to oldest). So, when I reply to this message, the report bugs thread will appear at the top and in bold red (until some other post eclipses it, at which point it will be bumped down one, etc. etc.).

If people are not seeing the posts in order, double check that you have the display options (at the bottom) set to sort by Last Post Time and sort order Decending. This is the default for the forum unless adjusted by the user.

suzeeq
05-26-2007, 08:26 PM
For perspective here...

That's what I'm seeing, too, but I prefer to click New Posts from the index page rather than go into the individual forums. When I did that on the old board, the threads with the most recent posts came up. When I clicked it again, say 40 minutes later, all threads with new posts during that 40 minutes came up at the top of the list, depending on when the latest post was added. Now, when I click New posts 40 minutes later, only threads that had new posts that weren't in the first group show at the top of the list, even if the threads I looked at previously have had new posts added.

Still trying to work with the new system and figure out what will give me what I want....

ETA: And see, replying to this thread buries it. When I clicked new posts (5 minutes after the previous time), it didn't even show on the first page. So by the time I read through a selection and Mark posts read, there's going to be new posts that I haven't read and won't know about. Still think it needs refining...

sheldon
05-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I can't do a blooby dance, but I'll celebrate your 100 posts anyway!
:cheering: :happydance: :star: :happydance: :cheering:

Sheldon, I'm still having the same problem with multiple notifications in my email for thread replies.

I am not 100% sure about this (or even sure how to word this), but I think the notification system will keep sending you a new notification email for each new post as long as you are active on the forum. It determines whether or not too keep sending you messages not by whether you visit the subscribed thread but by whether or not you have accessed the forum. Again, I am not 100% sure of this and still looking into it. I am guessing based upon the test in the email sent by the forum...There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

I will have to confirm whether or not this behavior...

EDIT: Nevermind...I just re-read an earlier thread by you regarding this and you said you received more messages than actual replies to the thread. That certainly is odd behavior. I did check the mail logs and it looks like sometimes when the server tried to connect to your email server, the connect is deferred (which is typical of busy mail servers) and the KH server has to try again. I wonder if during the deferrals the messages are in fact being delivered and the retries are causing duplicates. Anyhow, I will keep exploring on this end. We are working on migrating KH to a new server, perhaps that will resolve this.

HamburgKnitter
05-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it's me :shifty: but I just managed to post the same thread three times...I did two edits because I saw typos in my post, and now there are three threads. :??

Jan in CA
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
If no one has replied to your post I think you can delete it if you do that. :thinking:

HamburgKnitter
05-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I've been searching for a delete button but don't find one. :??

Jan in CA
05-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I've been searching for a delete button but don't find one. :??

Okay, I guess it's a mod only thing. I deleted your extra posts. ;-)

Virtuella
05-28-2007, 02:54 PM
I dont know if this is a bug, but the pages loads very very slow. I have to wait 10 seconds every time I want to open a new page. :shrug:

Virtuella
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
And it takes 10-15 seconds to post a reply.

GinnyG
05-29-2007, 07:05 AM
I did not read all the previous pages so don't know if it was addressed. But, I am having two problems this morning. I cannot attach a picture, I get an error message, and I cannot log out. For some reason I thought perhaps it would help to log out and log back in but I can't log out.

baronreads
05-29-2007, 08:15 AM
I know there is a server problem, but I thought I'd let you know that I can't get into Private Messages. Thanks!

sheldon
05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I did not read all the previous pages so don't know if it was addressed. But, I am having two problems this morning. I cannot attach a picture, I get an error message, and I cannot log out. For some reason I thought perhaps it would help to log out and log back in but I can't log out.

You may have to clear your cookies in order to log out. We made some cookie changes last week and your computer may be holding onto the old cookie. Deleting your cookies and restarting your browser should address this.

Image attaching should work again, now.

sheldon
05-29-2007, 09:07 AM
I know there is a server problem, but I thought I'd let you know that I can't get into Private Messages. Thanks!

We had some file space issues this morning which may have attributed to this. Give it another try and see if it works now.

sheldon
05-29-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it's me :shifty: but I just managed to post the same thread three times...I did two edits because I saw typos in my post, and now there are three threads. :??

The server slowness can sometimes cause problems such as this. Yesterday things were very slow and we had all sorts of problems. So far today has been better.

You can delete your post(s) by clicking the EDIT button and then clicking on the DELETE button. I think there may be a time-limit as to how much time can elapse before you are no longer able to delete a post. And if it's a thread that other's replied to, I believe only the mods can delete and rearrange things.

Hope this helps.

DotMom61
05-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Helpful hint: If you want to delete a post that has replies to it, just replace the text w/ a smiley or something. :thumbsup:

Arielluria
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
For perspective here...

OK, here's what happened with me (on Mozilla, should be same on IE). Went to forum, all threads and all forums were red and bold (I think indicating new posts on all which I have not read). Clicked on one for the first time, then went back to thread list. Still red and bold until I refreshed, then I got purple and un-bold.

THEN, I closed all my browser windows entirely and reopened KH, and the read thread is STILL purple and un-bold for me.

I hope that helps. It might be a browser setting if yours is acting differently. I am a webmaster and I can testify that if the page is programmed to act this way and it doesn't for you, the variable is your own machine. LIke I said, a setting on your browser, but easily correctable. Let me know if you need help in resetting your browser to defaults.

Jeremy
05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi Sheldon

When you click on the volkswagon hat in the pattern section you just get the forum menu and not the pattern.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/hats.php

Thanks.

suzeeq
05-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I got this thread - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=28309 which has the pattern for it. Maybe you weren't logged in at the time...?

sue

debinoz
05-29-2007, 11:01 PM
I was logged in and I got the main forums page too at the time. It seems to work now though....:??

suzeeq
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Glitch in the new system....

Linda0902
05-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Sheldon,
I am unable to access my private message.
Thanks!
Linda:shrug::shrug:

Nobones
05-30-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm not able to access my private messages either.

suzeeq
05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Yep, get a `Database error' message when clicking on PMs.

sheldon
05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Yep, get a `Database error' message when clicking on PMs.

Fixed. Ran out of space on one of the partitions on the server. This would affect private messages and attachments. Should be all set now.

turtlegirl76
06-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Either I'm hallucinating that I posted in this forum yesterday (I vividly recall at least one post I made) or they got deleted somehow. Was there a server blip yesterday that may have caused my posts to disappear?

sheldon
06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Either I'm hallucinating that I posted in this forum yesterday (I vividly recall at least one post I made) or they got deleted somehow. Was there a server blip yesterday that may have caused my posts to disappear?

That is awfully strange. But there wasn't any issues that I am aware of over the past few days. Amazingly the forum has been chugging along relatively well.

KellyK
06-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Sheldon.... is there a limit to how many pics we can link in one post? Or on one page? I followed the same procedure for all the pics of my garden on THIS PAGE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?p=869036#post869036), but only the first 4 pics are showing as pics... the others are showing as LINKS to pics. I even tried copying them from the first post into another poist, and they are still coming up as links. :shrug:

Shandeh
06-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Kelly, I noticed that we can only have 4 pics in our signatures as well.

hunterjenn
06-02-2007, 01:35 AM
:thinking: I had a post last week that had about 15 pictures that worked fine, but KK's sure didn't! ...I wonder if it has anything to do with a limit on total KB per post?

brownishcoat
06-07-2007, 11:42 AM
BinkyKat noticed that the bloobies and some other images have stopped showing up in our sigs, etc.

I checked it out and noticed that the "attachment file name path" has changed. Instead of a straightforward ".../forum/files/plooby.gif" path, it's an attachment php that identifies everything with numbers.

Is there an "attachment path" that can be used to fix these images? Instead of having to figure out the individual numbers for each one?

sheldon
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh dear! I killed the bloobies! :oo:

The /files folder on the server was a left over from the old forum and I deleted it yesterday to save space (it was taking up 2GB of storage!!). I didn't realize people had linked to things in there. Can you let me know the file names for the bloobie images and I'll resurrect them.

- Sheldon

brownishcoat
06-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Here they are:

plooby.gif
plooby_plus.gif
zoobyplooby.gif
stripedblooby.gif
dilby.gif
glooby.gif
gryffby.gif
packby.gif
perby.gif
pluuuby.gif
popo_plooby.gif
rooby.gif
sockby.gif
stooby.gif
us_blooby.gif
Thanks for understanding! :muah:

sheldon
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
The bloobies should be alive again!!! I dredged them up from dark abyss of our KH backups.

brownishcoat
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
There are 2 more that I forgot:

roughby.gif and astrooby.gif

Yay! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Super Blooby dance:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/plooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/dilby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/plooby_plus.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/zoobyplooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/stripedblooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/rooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/sockby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/astrooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/perby.gif

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/glooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/popo_plooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/stooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/gryffby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/pluuuby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/us_blooby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/packby.gifhttp://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/roughby.gif :blooby:

2007 brownishcoat productions

sheldon
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
arrgghh! The seizures! Make them stop! :zombie:

Okay, roughby and astrooby have joined the mob!

brownishcoat
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
:muah::muah::muah:

kblue
06-07-2007, 07:03 PM
i didn't read through ALL of the posts so if it's answered already just let me know...in the "Reply to Thread" box everything on the right of the box...not the screen, the box....is cut off (click pic. to make bigger) is it just me? If it is just me where/how do i change the settings for that so it fits in the box...remember its not everything on the computer screen just this box and its only the "Reply to Thread" box not other parts of the forum.

sheldon
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I think it's falling off the page because of the favorite smilies you have selected. Some of the animated smiles move back and forth from left to right and take up more room and throw off the smiley display. They are causing the large columns of space between the smilies and making the whole box larger. Try rearranging your smilies or removing the larger one from your favorites.

losnana
06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Sheldon, I noticed yesterday, I think, that one of the pictures in my signature had a red X in a box instead of the picture. It was for the Christmas KAL. It is a matter of how long it has been there, or how large the pictures are? I finally just deleted the X but would like to add the picture unless it it too large.

Thank you for all your hard work. My dh is is an IT person, so I know how hard it can be to deal with someone as computer illiterate as I am. You've done a great job for us!!

brownishcoat
06-08-2007, 08:21 PM
If it was uploaded as an attachment in the old forum, then it was in the old attachment directory that was deleted.

You can either find the original post where the image is attached, and get the url from there, or you can re-attach it to a new post to get a new url.

Arielluria
06-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I went to my blog Luknits (http://luknits.blogspot.com), and the KH posts to which I had linked (Feb 11, Feb 13 & March 12) for my dog sweaters, only lead to the main forum page, it seems their post #s have changed what's up with that?

Stiney
06-12-2007, 03:39 PM
:shifty:

Jan in CA
06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Stiney! :teehee:

Dilly
06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I just noticed, while browsing this thread, that one person's post is larger than the rest. This has occured on several pages in this thread. I haven't checked any other threads though.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/Dilly_Knits/kh1.jpg

Also, somebody posted about a problem before, using multiple emoticons and having some of them appear with a space in them. Did anybody ever figure out a solution to that? I only randomly have the problem, and it's only when I click on the emoticons to put them in my message, but not when I type them out. It's very strange!

:cheering::happydance::cheering::happydance::cheer ing: <--- clicked on the emoticons

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: <--- typed them out myself.

sheldon
06-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I went to my blog Luknits (http://luknits.blogspot.com), and the KH posts to which I had linked (Feb 11, Feb 13 & March 12) for my dog sweaters, only lead to the main forum page, it seems their post #s have changed what's up with that?

Not really a bug, just a symptom of upgrading the forum. Any links to posts in the old forum will not work. You will need to search and find the post in the new forum and update your link using that address.

Hope this helps.

- Sheldon

sheldon
06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I just noticed, while browsing this thread, that one person's post is larger than the rest. This has occured on several pages in this thread. I haven't checked any other threads though.

Also, somebody posted about a problem before, using multiple emoticons and having some of them appear with a space in them. Did anybody ever figure out a solution to that? I only randomly have the problem, and it's only when I click on the emoticons to put them in my message, but not when I type them out. It's very strange!

:cheering::happydance::cheering::happydance::cheer ing: <--- clicked on the emoticons

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: <--- typed them out myself.

Sometimes a person's signature or post will be too large for the forum dimensions and will overlap. Not much we can do about that unfortunately.

I don't know about the emoticon space issue. I think it happens when people click on emoticons faster than the browser can update the WYSIWYG editor as I notice it seems to happen people post large strings of emoticons. Hope this helps.

sheldon
06-12-2007, 04:51 PM
:shifty:

Man, I can't stand when that giant red bug attacks the forum. Time to whip out the RAID. It kills forum bugs DEAD!

Dilly
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Thank you for the answers, Sheldon. They both make sense. And neither situations are problematic, so I'm not really concerned about them. I just found them interesting. :oo:

Stiney
06-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Sometimes, IT Gurus need an easy problem to fix. :teehee:

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Since it's my own post I can testify.......:D.....my posts are not larger on all the threads:??......at least they weren't at first. I wonder what happened!

Sometimes a person's signature or post will be too large for the forum dimensions and will overlap. Not much we can do about that unfortunately.

I don't know about the emoticon space issue. I think it happens when people click on emoticons faster than the browser can update the WYSIWYG editor as I notice it seems to happen people post large strings of emoticons. Hope this helps.

Nobones
06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Not really a problem but now I've seen those cute little blobby people I want one! Namely the one with spots! How can I get one?

lissalue
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Not really a problem but now I've seen those cute little blobby people I want one! Namely the one with spots! How can I get one?

Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=44523&highlight=bloobies) is the clored bloobies thread. It has all of the litle guys in it. But, there locations may have changed, I am not sure. but if you post there, Lisa (Brownishcoat) will probably come along and help you figure it out.

Stiney
06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Since it's my own post I can testify.......:D.....my posts are not larger on all the threads:??......at least they weren't at first. I wonder what happened!

On the old board, your posts always broke the screen size for me...they don't know, but I'm using a different resolution, or I'm sure they would. I think it's the horizontal bar you have in your sig.

sheldon
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
I think it's the horizontal bar you have in your sig.

Correct. That is exactly it. The horizontal rule in Arielluria (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/member.php?u=15825) sig is an image and is 600px wide. The forum post area has a max width of 525px, so anything larger than that will cause some wonkiness. If you trim 75px off that sig image it will fit perfectly!

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Just a thought. Are you using Mozilla or IE?
I'm on Mozilla and when I type out my message the box expands beyond the purple left and right margins.....this does not happen on IE.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/Dilly_Knits/kh1.jpg

sheldon
06-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Just a thought. Are you using Mozilla or IE?
I'm on Mozilla and when I type out my message the box expands beyond the purple left and right margins.....this does not happen on IE.

IE treats the box as a layer and allows the post to extend outside of the forum boundary. Firefox and other Mozilla browsers will cause the whole forum to enlarge horizontally. You can see evidence of this by going to the top of the page and looking at the right hand size of the header image. If it's starting to repeat then the forum is being stretched to fit.

Solution: keep any signature images to a maximum of 525px wide. We have software to auto-scale attachments and inline images, however, we don't have any way to auto-scale sig images.

Cheers,

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Will do, BUT, if you notice, most of my posts have not done that, and as you can see by the screenshot of this reply.......where there is no sig, the boxes don't fit.

Could it be Mozilla?

Correct. That is exactly it. The horizontal rule in Arielluria (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/member.php?u=15825) sig is an image and is 600px wide. The forum post area has a max width of 525px, so anything larger than that will cause some wonkiness. If you trim 75px off that sig image it will fit perfectly!

sheldon
06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Will do, BUT, if you notice, most of my posts have not done that, and as you can see by the screenshot of this reply.......where there is no sig, the boxes don't fit.

Could it be Mozilla?

The editor can push out of the forum if you have customized your favorite smilies and included one (or more) smiles that has animation running left to right. Those particular smilies are wide and don't fit well into the 3 column layout of the smilies box resulting in a slightly larger box.

I believe every post that has too large a sig image will result in some forum shifting. I think I have noticed that with your posts in Mozilla (see screenshot for how Mozilla copes). IE and Mozilla handle it differently, although neither is very elegant:lol:. Once you bump the sig image down to 525px all your existing posts should be updated as well.

We used to gave similar problems with large inline images but yesterday I added in a auto-scaler to make large images fit the 525px spec. As far as I know we can't do anything similar for sig images.

Have a great night!

hunterjenn
06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi, Sheldon! :waving:

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but when I go to Free Patterns>Hats>Braided Hat Pattern, I get redirected to http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143, which takes me to the main forum page instead of the pattern. :??

:)

suzeeq
06-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I think that's the link to the thread from the old forum. It should be updated, though I think there's a thread from early in the changeover that gives the correct link.

sue

sheldon
06-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi, Sheldon! :waving:

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but when I go to Free Patterns>Hats>Braided Hat Pattern, I get redirected to http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143, which takes me to the main forum page instead of the pattern. :??

:)

That is correct. Links referencing the old forum will no longer work under the new forum. It's sort of an unfortunate consequence of updating. There are plenty of broken links in the free pattern section which Amy says she'll be updating soon. :lol:

Dilly
06-14-2007, 10:05 AM
IE treats the box as a layer and allows the post to extend outside of the forum boundary. Firefox and other Mozilla browsers will cause the whole forum to enlarge horizontally. You can see evidence of this by going to the top of the page and looking at the right hand size of the header image. If it's starting to repeat then the forum is being stretched to fit.

Interesting... I use Firefox, yet only that one post enlarged for me. :shrug: But like I said before, I'm not too concerned. It doesn't cause me any grief. It's just weird that it happens sometimes.

ETA: But I just checked after posting this, and today, everything is wider. :??

DotMom61
06-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I just wanted to post a big THANK YOU to Sheldon because he deserves it after putting up with all of us. :teehee: Sheldon, Amy is a lucky woman to have you, and it's just amazing that you are so patient with all our little eccentricities. :muah: