PDA

View Full Version : OT: International Addition Textbooks

HollyP
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I am looking at buying college textbooks online. A lot of the texts listed are international additions. The sellers say they are exactly the same as the US versions but are paper back with a different cover and ISBN. They cost about half of the US editions.
Does anyone have any experience with International additions? Are they the same? I would hate to buy a book and have it be wrong and have to worry about buying the correct one. I have tried emailing my professor but she has not gotten back to me in over a week. Classes start in five days so I was really hoping to get my books taken care off.
Thanks!!!!

kristinw
05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Usually the int'l editions are exactly the same. You usually can't sell them back on your campus though because it isn't legal for them to bought or sold in the US (at least through a store - private sale is a whole other thing). There was a whole congress investigation because publishers sell the same books overseas at a significantly lower cost than they do to retailers in the US.

DeAnzaJig
05-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I purchased an international edition for one of my classes a couple of years ago and it was slightly different, even though it had the same edition number as the textbook posted for class. It was a soft cover, all the images were in black and white, certain topics were aligned differently, and sometimes the questions in the back of the chapters were worded in a different way.

It's a tough call, as I've been burned before where I bought all the textbooks for a class and the prof. never referred to them once! :rollseyes:

Have fun in your classes!

HollyP
05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for your help! I just ordered an anatomy book that was an international addition. The seller says it has color pictures and is exactly the same as the US addition. I guess I will find out soon enough! If it is slightly out of order I will probably just stick it out since I got a new book including shipping for 3 dollars more than half price of a used book. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am so relieved to have all my books ordered. Now I just have to wait for their delivery!

DeAnzaJig I would be soo ticked if I had a prof did that!! Textbooks are so expensive to require that you have them and not even refer to one all semester is criminal!