PDA

View Full Version : Wow..I think this is just beautiful.

Quiltlady
05-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Take a look at this. I love it. I don't have the figure to wear it but I still love it...I can dream I guess...:shifty:

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/Karabella/KarabellaPatterns.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=6421

Jan in CA
05-16-2007, 11:54 PM
It's beautiful!

knitwit628
05-17-2007, 07:11 AM
That is sooo pretty!!!

Nobones
05-17-2007, 07:14 AM
I think any figure could wear that, just dependson what colour you make it. It's a lovely pattern

mwedzi
05-20-2007, 09:20 AM
It is beautiful. I bought that pattern a while ago and it is actually very simple. I just have to find the right yarn for it. Did you see how much the recommended yarn is? $25/ball with 9 balls needed? The Jimmy Beans Wool site calls it fingering weight, but my pattern says balls are 25 gram balls at 202 yards each, which sounds at the heavy end of lace weight to me, like KSH. I wonder if it's possible to make this for less than $50?

Susan P.
05-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Quiltlady..what a glorious pattern and look! I think any size could wear it as Nobones suggests but I would have the body of it longer.

mwedzi.. KSH?? I've noticed how often these patterns ask for expensive wool. I seem to rarely buy yarn under ten dollars here and yes it does make for very expensive items but it would be great to find a substitute at that cost! I imagine this pattern would look superb though in one of those yarns that have beaded glass on the strands.

There is a designer here..I will try and look out the link..who has superb designs..lovely colours and geometry..to buy the kits for the longer coats costs around $260! To buy the garments made up (you need to order 12 weeks ahead) costs around $550!

Susan P.
05-20-2007, 06:21 PM
As I can't crochet but have seen great links here for converting crochet patterns to knit..how do you more experienced crochet/knitters think this pattern would convert over?

Quiltlady
05-20-2007, 08:23 PM
I know it says that it is crochet but it sure doesn't look like it. I was going to order the pattern from that site but three people have posted there are errors in the pattern. :oo:I'm sure I would not be able to figure them out on my own..so I guess I'll have to wait.:rollseyes:

Wouldn't that look beautiful on a bride?? I really do love it. Glad you are all enjoying me posting it.

Sara
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I am considering buying the pattern. I want to know how they do those spirals and I can't find a similar motif anywhere, otherwise I would make it up on my own. DD will have her senior recital soon and I think that would look great on her.

Karabella yarns are VERY expensive. The only one they have that is at a good price point is Aurora 8. About $7 per ball and beautiful to work with.

I have been delving into lots of crochet lately and I'm very annoyed with how badly the patterns have been written. DD wanted to make a hat yesterday, but the pattern was so bad that I had to redesign it for her. She wore it today. She looks like a hippie. :teehee:

Susan P.
05-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Quiltlady.. I admit it didn't look like crochet to me either. Hmm..a worry when so many people find errors although it happens. I never know why an error isn't picked up and addressed when they make up the garment for the photo shoot. Hmmmmm....:think:

I guess I'd write to the site contact and ask whether the pattern is an updated version?

It's lovely and yes, it would look beautiful on a bride. I think it's interesting how the human eye can often find certain patterns so very appealing. A clever material manufacturer should make this up as a fabric and those of us who can't crochet would have it made up from a sewing pattern :) egad..I said this on a knitting site LOL

Sara
05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
It probably wouldn't convert very easily.

And I bought a book called "Vogue Knitting On the Go: Crocheted Hats"--every single pattern I have tried is wrong. X-( I should have read the reviews on Amazon before I bought it. Vogue is usually so reliable. :shrug:

Susan P.
05-21-2007, 04:55 AM
Sara..that's terrible and I agree, you usually expect a high standard from Vogue. Once again, when they make up the garment for the images I don't see why the pattern error isn't picked up *unless* the error arises in the printing process somehow.

I think if a book contains errors in virtually every pattern, the maker should offer purchasers (who can produce evidence of purchase) a free update set of pages (like a leaflet)..??

mwedzi
05-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I know it says that it is crochet but it sure doesn't look like it. I was going to order the pattern from that site but three people have posted there are errors in the pattern. :oo:I'm sure I would not be able to figure them out on my own..so I guess I'll have to wait.:rollseyes:

Really? I made one of the hexagons and didn't have any error at all. And the pattern is nothing but many hexagons sewn together. It looks just like what I imagine crochet to look. I'm sure I can figure out a knit version, if you really want. I have to go back and look at the picture closely again, though.