PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Blanket #5 is FINISHED!! WOO HOO!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shandeh
05-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Here is the main blog for our 4 Oddball Blankets.
http://blanketfinder.blogspot.com/

The Oddball Blankets are created by 25 knitters, each knitting their portion of the blanket, then mailing it to the next person in line. Shandeh starts the blanket, and keeps the knitting "live" on a set of circular needles, which will travel with the blanket from house to house.

Each blanket is made with any washable worsted weight yarn in our stash. Shandeh casts on 300 stitches, and knits the beginning inch and a half, then writes a little message in a journal, puts the blanket in a ziploc bag with a dryer sheet, and packages everything up (usually with a bonus gift for the next knitter), and ships it off.

Each knitter gets TWO WEEKS to work on the blanket.
They will add their preferred yarn, and knit their choice of design on every row up to a total of 3 inches. Each person will end their knitting with a wrong side row of all knit stitches, in order to make it easy for the next person to add their portion to the blanket.

Here is a photo of our first Oddball Blanket, to give you an idea of how it may develop:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/480327989_b7d0b66ad7.jpg

When the blanket leaves the last knitter, it is sent back to Shandeh, who will knit the final inch and a half, then add a border. Finally the blanket will be given to a worthy charity. :)

Here is the current list of knitters who are interested in participating in this blanket:

Shandeh (as usual)
kellycarr05
Teeka
GJ
TobinknitIf any of you have any allergies to pet hair or smoke, I will place you at the beginning of the blanket. I personally do not have any pets, and I do not smoke, so I'm safe at the top. When the blanket is completely finished, I will wash it, then give it to charity.

debinoz
05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't mind signing-up, Sandy. That is if you don't have to be pet-free, kid-free or smoke-free! Let me know.... I can even do two rounds if that would help, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to knit next, so I have the time.

JamOKnit
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi, if you still need knitters I would be happy to contribute! Can you repost the requirements? (how much each person knits, how long they have to do it)

I may be moving soon so if you just PM me before it's my turn to receive it, I can give you the most current address!

I've never done a blanket before...always seemed too ambitious and scary...so hopefully once I try this, I'll be off running to buy yarn for another blanket of my own!!

Shandeh
05-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi debinoz and JamOKnit! :)

I've updated the original post at the top of the page with guidelines for knitting and pet allergies.

If you are wanting to join, please send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll add you to the list of knitters! :muah:

Mariblue
05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Shandeh, I'll join in on this! I'll send you a private message.

remclave
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Didja get my pm?:inlove:

snephenie
05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
I just PM'd!!!
YAY!! I can't wait to do a blanket!!!! :heart::heart:

JamOKnit
05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Shandeh! Sent you my PM.

Shandeh
05-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Woo Hoo! :happydance:

Lots of knitters have signed up to join the Oddball Blanket #5 KAL!
:muah::heart::muah:

Note: I still need mailing addresses for GJ and remclave. :hiding:

Here is our current list of knitters (not in order yet)

Shandeh
kellycarr05
Teeka
Tobinknit
GJ
debinoz
JamOKnit
Mariblue
remclave
snephenie
ADAllen

That makes a total of 11 knitters, and we need 25,
so we still have room for 14 more! :)

Jill A.
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I'll join for this round. :thumbsup:

How do I send you my address??

Jill in Utah

PaperGirl
05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Clcik her name in her post, and theres a menu with an option to send a PM. :)

Shandeh
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
:woohoo:

I love it! Our 5th blanket is really filling up with new Oddball Knitters. The more the merrier!
:grphug:

Jill A, I just sent you a PM (Private Message), so you can reply to that to give me your address.

Currently, we have 12 knitters signed up for the 5th Oddball Blanket. So, that leaves room for 13 more!

Shandeh
kellycarr05
Teeka
Tobinknit
GJ
debinoz
JamOKnit
Mariblue
remclave
snephenie
ADAllen
Jill A.

Thank you all for joining! :hug:

snowbear
05-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Me ME ME .. Please.. I want to play... (knit) I've sent a pm to add my name to the list...I love to join such a great worthwhile cause!

Shandeh
05-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for joining, snowbear!

Now, we have 13 knitters, and have room for 12 more! :happydance:

Shandeh
kellycarr05
Teeka
Tobinknit
GJ
debinoz
JamOKnit
Mariblue
remclave
snephenie
ADAllen
Jill A.
snowbear
:muah:

losnana
05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
If you decide to use those who have already participated, add me in. I'd love to participate in another. I'm way down on the list for #2.

Shandeh
05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, since I haven't heard from any more new knitters, I will now open up this blanket for those of you who are currently working on our other blankets.

Losnana, you're in! :thumbsup:

We now have room for 11 more knitters! :)

pandaca
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Please add me to the list! If you end up needing my spot for a new knitter, that's okay, too.

Thanks!

Sweet_Thang
05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, since I haven't heard from any more new knitters, I will now open up this blanket for those of you who are currently working on our other blankets.

Losnana, you're in! :thumbsup:

We now have room for 11 more knitters! :)

I would like to participate. I am more a lurker, but this one is UP MY ALLEY!

sending a PM to ya

threesmom
05-21-2007, 02:31 PM
I'll join in! :cheering: I'm doing the shawl too, but I still have time - I'm finishing up both projects I'm working on ... Shandeh - I'll pm you now!

kellyh57
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I PM-ed you, Shandeh. Count me in!

Kelly

larudden
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM
:waving:Count Me In!

jhelanee
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I like to get in on this one too, please. :flirt:

Shandeh
05-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Thank you all for joining! :cheering::thumbsup:

We now have 20 knitters, so there is only room for 5 more!

I have been keeping a tally of smokers and pet owners, as well as those with allergies. I still need this information from the following people:
kellycarr05, Teeka, Tobinknit, JamOKnit, snephanie,
losnana, pandaca, larudden, and jhelanee

Here is our current list of Oddball Knitters for Blanket #5
(not in order yet)
Shandeh
kellycarr05
Teeka
Tobinknit
GJ
debinoz
JamOKnit
Mariblue
remclave
snephenie
ADAllen
Jill A.
snowbear
losnana
kellyh57
Sweet_Thang
threesmom
pandaca
larudden
jhelanee

auburnchick
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
I've never done one of these. Will you add me to the list? I'll follow up with a PM.

Shandeh
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I've never done one of these. Will you add me to the list? I'll follow up with a PM.
Thanks for joining!

Room for 4 more knitters now! :star:

Secksiebrat
05-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm happy to join in on this one. I am signed up for #4. If another new knitter pops in though, I'm happy to give up my spot. Let me know if you need my info again!

~danielle~

PS I figure at this rate there will be plenty of oddball blankets to knit for :)

snephenie
05-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Yay!! I can't wait for this to start, so exciting :)

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Woo Hoo! :happydance:

Thanks for joining, Danielle! :hug:

We are almost full of knitters for our new Oddball Blanket! :)

There is only room for 3 more knitters.

I cast on the 300 stitches tonight, using a size 8 circular needle, 29 inches long. I'm using some Lion Brand Wool-Ease I had in my stash. I remember buying this yarn in a small plastic bag at a thrift store for 60 cents total! :teehee: It is certainly being put to good use now! :thumbsup:

The color of the yarn is "Mink Brown", and it has a "tweedy" effect.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/508939217_348c5eee85.jpg

JamOKnit
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Shandeh, looks like we are off to a great start! Thanks for getting us going!

I wanted to let you know since you need the info, that my house is non-smoking and I do have a cat, although all yarn is stored in a closet where he can't access it. Hopefully that keeps it relatively dander-free! I do not have any allergies.

Can't wait to find out my place in line!

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks JamOKnit! :hug:

I knit for about half an inch last night, so it's definitely a decent start. I'll only knit a total of 1 1/2 inches at the beginning, because I'll add the other inch and a half when the blanket is finished. It's my way of bringing "closure" to each blanket. I start and end them all. :mrgreen: (Hey....I'm entitled....the whole "Oddball Blanket" thing is my idea, after all!) :teehee:

I gotta tell you....it's SO COOL to see these blankets all growing. And to think it was just a simple idea I had one day.

Wonders never cease.:hug:

You guys ROCK! :star:

By the way, we still need 3 more knitters!

SimplyKaar
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I absolutely LOVE LOVE these oddball blankets and shawls; what a great thing to have 'just come to mind one day' , Sandy ! :thumbsup:

Too bad I live across the puddle because it would be too much to be sending a blanket like that back and forth. Although I do seem to remember one blanket trying to escape to Italy or someplace like that... so if one of them appears to develop a similar plan, tell it to come to the Netherlands instead, ok? It'll be pampered and sent back on its way then :heart:

Have fun with them people and I"ll keep dropping in to admire the results!

knitknut
05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Sandy, Now that you are taking "old" knitters, please sign me up for this one too. I don't remember if you asked this on blanket #2 or not - I do not smoke but I do have a cat and a dog. I would put in a smiley here but I can't find them! ; )

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 04:47 PM
SimplyKaar, you are WELCOME to join! :muah:
(I remember that you wanted to join with our very first blanket)

I'll send the blanket to you first, so we can get the whole "international" travel part over and done with, with a lightweight package. :thumbsup:

Just send me a private message with your mailing address, my friend. :hug:

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Sandy, Now that you are taking "old" knitters, please sign me up for this one too. I don't remember if you asked this on blanket #2 or not - I do not smoke but I do have a cat and a dog. I would put in a smiley here but I can't find them! ; )
Hey there, you're not OLD! :fingerwag: You're just EXPERIENCED! :eyebrow:
:teehee:

Thanks for joining! :hug:

SimplyKaar
05-22-2007, 08:06 PM
SimplyKaar, you are WELCOME to join! :muah:
(I remember that you wanted to join with our very first blanket)

I'll send the blanket to you first, so we can get the whole "international" travel part over and done with, with a lightweight package. :thumbsup:

Just send me a private message with your mailing address, my friend. :hug:

:cheering: :hug: :heart:

It'll be a bit longer than 2 weeks before the next knitter has it, in that case. But I will send it off as soon as possible.
Tomorrow I'll dig through my stash to see which yarn I have that will match up with what you've done sofar!

A PM is on its way :thumbsup:

Shandeh
05-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Yay! Our blanket will get knitting from the Netherlands! :cheering:

I'm almost finished with my portion of the blanket, so I'll mail it out to you this week!!! THAT will help to get the ball rolling. :thumbsup:

Let me know if I need to write anything special on the package to help it get through customs for your country.

Also, should I avoid sending chocolate, coffee or tea in your package? I like to send small sample packets just for fun.:heart:

SimplyKaar
05-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Yay! Our blanket will get knitting from the Netherlands! :cheering:

I'm almost finished with my portion of the blanket, so I'll mail it out to you this week!!! THAT will help to get the ball rolling. :thumbsup:

Let me know if I need to write anything special on the package to help it get through customs for your country.

Also, should I avoid sending chocolate, coffee or tea in your package? I like to send small sample packets just for fun.:heart:

Me luvves surprises in packages!!! I don't think there will be problems with tea and things like that. The packages that I've sent from here, I only had to declare that there were no dangarous goods in it, that it was a gift valued less than a certain amount and that was it!
(the few times that I ordered from the USA online I think the tax free amount was around 40 dollars so that should be no problem :))
IF you have to be more specific, I guess it's better to not mention it's natural viber or wool or something and also no fresh food etc because they are a bit hesitant about stuff that might carry viruses and what not.

If you need more specific info, I will go to the postoffice tomorrow and ask them just to be on the safe side, ok?

zip
05-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Number 5 goes to Europe! :cheering:

Sounds like a bad movie sequel. :teehee:

Shandeh
05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Me luvves surprises in packages!!! I don't think there will be problems with tea and things like that. The packages that I've sent from here, I only had to declare that there were no dangarous goods in it, that it was a gift valued less than a certain amount and that was it!
(the few times that I ordered from the USA online I think the tax free amount was around 40 dollars so that should be no problem :))
IF you have to be more specific, I guess it's better to not mention it's natural viber or wool or something and also no fresh food etc because they are a bit hesitant about stuff that might carry viruses and what not.

If you need more specific info, I will go to the postoffice tomorrow and ask them just to be on the safe side, ok?
So, should I just write "KNITTING and GIFT" as the contents?

Shandeh
05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Silly Sis!:rofling:

SimplyKaar
05-23-2007, 10:52 AM

:yay::woohoo:

So, should I just write "KNITTING and GIFT" as the contents?

Yes, I think that will be enough :)

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Our blanket now has 25 knitters, and our last knitter to sign up is ME! (usually, I'm stuck with the boring beginning and end. This time I'll actually get to add a pretty design somewhere in the middle!!!)
:cheering: :)

And now is your LAST CHANCE to let me know if you have any allergies to pets or smoke.

I'll be putting all the knitters in order, making our map, and creating our blog tomorrow! ;)

remclave
05-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll be putting all the knitters in order, making our map, and creating our blog tomorrow! ;):cheering:

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I've put all our knitters in order, and will work on the map and blog tonight! :)

Shandeh (to start)
SimplyKaar
jhelanee
Mariblue
Jill A.
GJ
Sweet_Thang
Secksiebrat
knitknut
kellycarr05
ADAllen
auburnchick
losnana
JamOKnit
threesmom
Shandeh (near the middle) :happydance:
Teeka
snephenie
pandaca
Tobinknit
snowbear
kellyh57
debinoz
remclave
larudden
Shandeh (at the end)

I'm putting our blanket supplies together in a package right now for the trip to the Netherlands. How exciting! (I wish I could pack myself up to go on the trip!) :teehee:

jhelanee
05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
:woohoo: Can't wait for this to get started!

auburnchick
05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
:cheering:

SimplyKaar
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm putting our blanket supplies together in a package right now for the trip to the Netherlands. How exciting! (I wish I could pack myself up to go on the trip!) :teehee:

:woohoo: I can't wait!! :cheering:

It would be an awsome surprise if you would be able to somehow pack yourself in that package too to come for a visit. You are more than welcome here! :hug:

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Mail Myself To You

by: Woody Guthrie :note::note::note::note::note::note: http://bestsmileys.com/music2/16.gif

I'm gonna wrap myself in paper
I'm gonna daub myself with glue
Stick some stamps on top of my head
I'm gonna mail myself to you.

I'm gonna tie me up in a red string
I'm gonna tie blue ribbons too
I'm gonna climb up in my mail box

When you see me in your mail box
Cut the string and let me out
Wash the glue off of my fingers
Stick some bubble gum in my mouth.

Take me out of my wrapping paper
Wash the stamps off of my head
Pour me full of ice cream sodies
Put me in my nice warm bed.

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm working on the blog now. http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/7.gif

You can spy on it in progress if you want:
http://oddballblanket5.blogspot.com/

Dangles
05-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Shandeh, you are so talented :) :hug:

Mail Myself To You

by: Woody Guthrie :note::note::note::note::note::note: http://bestsmileys.com/music2/16.gif

I'm gonna tie me up in a red string
I'm gonna tie blue ribbons too
I'm gonna climb up in my mail box

When you see me in your mail box
Cut the string and let me out
Wash the glue off of my fingers
Stick some bubble gum in my mouth.

Take me out of my wrapping paper
Wash the stamps off of my head
Pour me full of ice cream sodies
Put me in my nice warm bed.

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 01:03 AM

I have taught that song to several of my piano students.

It's one of the pieces in the Piano Adventures series by Randall and Nancy Faber.

Here's a listening file I found online of John McCutcheon singing it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0000003FG001002/103-5743866-0328643

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 02:58 AM
The blog is complete, and so is our map.
We're ready to roll! :cheering:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/513115946_3a787a6493.jpg

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 03:31 AM
I just spent some time reading SimplyKaar's KH blog, and learned that she has cats. So, I will make a minor adjustment in the order of things.

SimplyKaar, you can mail your package to ME when you finish your knitting. I'll put the stitches on a sturdy piece of yarn, and wash the blanket real good to get it ready to travel to Washington. (Several knitters at the top of the list have allergies to pets and smoke.) I do not smoke, and have no pets, so I'll be able to get it clean and clear before mailing it. :thumbsup:
Sorry for the little mix-up, my friends! :muah:

SimplyKaar
05-25-2007, 04:55 AM
I just spent some time reading SimplyKaar's KH blog, and learned that she has cats. So, I will make a minor adjustment in the order of things.

SimplyKaar, you can mail your package to ME when you finish your knitting. I'll put the stitches on a sturdy piece of yarn, and wash the blanket real good to get it ready to travel to Washington. (Several knitters at the top of the list have allergies to pets and smoke.) I do not smoke, and have no pets, so I'll be able to get it clean and clear before mailing it. :thumbsup:
Sorry for the little mix-up, my friends! :muah:

:oops: I'm so sorry; in all of the excitement of being able to join in, I completely forgot to mention that I indeed have cats. I'm so used to having them around that I usually forget that it could cause problems for some people.
Thank you for catching that Sandy! :hug:

auburnchick
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Sandy,

I don't see a bullet (stopover) for my location on the map. I kind of see where a line flies sort of over my city. I just want to make sure you don't forget about me (although I did see my name on the list).

Forgive me for being paranoid. I just want to see the FL Panhandle duly represented. :teehee: PLUS, I am PSYCHED about this!!!!

JamOKnit
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Awesome blog, Shandeh! Can't wait to see pictures as the blanket makes its way around the world! It will be a while before it gets to me, so I'll have to be patient.... {sigh} :)

threesmom
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Nice blog Shandeh! - my son especially liked the map with the "ay-pane" (airplane :teehee:)!

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
SimplyKaar, don't worry about it at all. :hug: I'm just glad I figured it out before it was too late.

I am very allergic to cats myself, so when I get the package from you, I'll open it outside and shake it out real good. Then, I'll take it in the house and throw it in the washer.

That's what I plan on doing with ALL of the blankets when they end up at my house (except for the wool one - I'm still brainstorming about that one). :think: Maybe I'll have to get one of you pet-owners to finish that one up for us.

Auburnchick, the map dots are just to represent the STATES where the blanket will be travelling. I didn't want the world to know EXACTLY where we are all located. ;)

JamOKnit, I'm sorry you have to wait! :pout: If you want, you can join the Oddball Shawl knit-along, so you'll have something to work on in the meantime. :)

Hello threesmom's son! :waving:
Here's a picture of an airplane you can print out and color!
http://www.wondermuseum.com/ColoringBook/Airplane.gif

larudden
05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
:whistle:Oh my gosh, everything's a song for me! Now I've got another one to add to my madness!

Well, God is definitely going to teach me patience since I'm at the bottom. The good thing is I get to actually see the whole thing. La la laaaaaaaaa................:woot:

This is a great blog! Can't wait to "watch" the progress.

JamOKnit
05-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Ha, ha, Shandeh, like I don't have enough pending projects already! :) Not to worry, I have plenty of knitting to keep me busy until the blanket arrives!

p.s. most likelyI will be in a new house by then so when I know the new address, I will let you know. We got an offer on our house after only 1 day on the market!!! Woo HOOOOOO!

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I'll pray for patience for you, larudden! :teehee:

JamOKnit! WAY COOL for selling your house quickly! :cheering:

Oh! I almost forgot!

I MAILED THE PACKAGE TO THE NETHERLANDS!!!! :)
I joked around with the postman....He said it would go First Class, and the clerk beside him said that it would be going on a plane.

So I said, "Hey! My package is flying First Class!!":roflhard:

auburnchick
05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Auburnchick, the map dots are just to represent the STATES where the blanket will be travelling. I didn't want the world to know EXACTLY where we are all located. ;)

Gotcha! :thumbsup: I :heart::heart: the map! You are a very dedicated lady! Thanks for making this so much fun so far!!!

Shandeh
05-26-2007, 12:14 PM
It IS fun, isn't it? :)

And it gets even better as time goes by....seeing the blanket grow, and seeing your knitting travelling from state to state, and watching what each person does with their section.

It's a beautiful thing! :heart:

SimplyKaar
05-29-2007, 07:06 PM
It feels like I've been waiting for ever already!! :pout:
And there was nothing in the mailbox today, I guess it was a bit too optimistic to hope it would be here waiting for me when I came home from work :)
I'll have to wait a bit longer...

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/stonekicker.gif

Shandeh
05-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Karen, you're so FUNNY! :teehee:
You DO realize we just had a holiday weekend here in the States, right?

Shandeh
05-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I just thought I would post in here to let you all know that I might be unavailable for the next few days. I am having a piano recital for my piano students this weekend, so I'm busy getting ready for that. :wink:

SimplyKaar
05-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Karen, you're so FUNNY! :teehee:
You DO realize we just had a holiday weekend here in the States, right?

Yes I did :) We had the same holiday here although I don't know what the proper English name for it is: it's when Christians celebrate the fact that the holy spirit was spread out over them, right?
We also always get the Monday afterwards off aswell so I *know* there would'nt be any mail but you can't blame a girl for hoping now can ya? :shifty:

I just thought I would post in here to let you all know that I might be unavailable for the next few days. I am having a piano recital for my piano students this weekend, so I'm busy getting ready for that. :wink:

Have a great weekend!!! I hope all goes well and that your students will enjoy themselves :thumbsup:

SimplyKaar
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes I did :) We had the same holiday here although I don't know what the proper English name for it is: it's when Christians celebrate the fact that the holy spirit was spread out over them, right?

I just read back that comment; I suppose that's not exactly the litteral Biblical description of the event :teehee:

Sorry, this sort of things were not covered in my highschool English classes and I didn't mean to make light of it! :pout:

kellyh57
05-30-2007, 05:30 PM
That's Pentecost which was last Sunday too (6 weeks after Easter). Monday was Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor those we've lost. Also, the unofficial start to summer and when you can start wearing white shoes....:teehee:

Kelly

SimplyKaar
05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
That's Pentecost which was last Sunday too (6 weeks after Easter). Monday was Memorial Day. A day set aside to honor those we've lost. Also, the unofficial start to summer and when you can start wearing white shoes....:teehee:

Kelly

Ahh so Monday was in fact a different holiday! I see.
We usually get 2 days for most Christian holidays like Pentecost, Christmas and Easter and I understand that most other countries do not so it's sometimes a bit confusing....

And is it really a custom to not wear white shoes before this day? curious :lol:

still no blanket for me *sigh*

G J
05-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Oooh, I stopped getting alerts to this post and I've missed so much! I'm SO excited about contributing to an international blanket! And the Netherlands...the country of my ancestors--my mom and all my grandparents were born there. :hug: I feel a connection alreadyl:)

Can't wait til it gets to Texas!

SimplyKaar
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
:woohoo:It landed!!! :happydancing::woot::woot::yay:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/doosje.jpg

And there were goodies included aswell; thanks Sandy :hug: :heart:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/goodies.jpg

Included were:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/kaart+journal.jpg
a written card for me and a beautiful notebook :heart: to include a short message about who, what and why of your knitting. I love notebooks like that! :)

And I think Sandy thought I didn't have enough projects to start with, in all the extra time I have on my hands so now it seems I'm going to learn how to spin my own yarn:
http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/wol.jpg

:psst: My mum knows how to spin so if I don't manage, I know who to ask for help :)

And, lastly: she also included some coffee to keep up the energy while knitting and some relaxing tea to wind down after a funfilled day of knitting:
http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/thee+koffie.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be digging around to see what yarn I have in my stash to match up to the yarn already used.
I think I want to do a simple eyelet pattern in my rows. Would that be alright?
I think that the eyelet isn't holey enough to make a difference in the warmth of the blanket but if you all prefer for it to be a completely solid blanket instead, then I'd be more than happy to choose something else.

Shandeh
06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Woo Hoo! Yippee!!! :cheering:

Mail to the Netherlands is FAST!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you like the goodies! I read in one of your posts that you were interested in learning to spin, so that's why I included the spindle and roving. I hope you enjoy trying! :hug:

And you can knit WHATEVER design you want, my friend. Just be sure to end your knitting with a wrong side row of all knit stitches.

Dangles
06-05-2007, 12:36 AM
At least it didn't morph in to an animal ;)

snephenie
06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow!!! You got spoiled!!! I am seriously debating getting a drop spindle and some roving...I have been checking out a bunch of different sites. I think my DH may throw a fit as I have yarn coming out of my ears....oh well...he has 6 guitars and about 20 different speakers and amps and and and.....LOL

Shandeh
06-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I think my DH may throw a fit as I have yarn coming out of my ears....oh well...he has 6 guitars and about 20 different speakers and amps and and and.....LOL
Good point, Snephenie!!! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
06-08-2007, 03:40 AM
:roflhard:

Shandeh
06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Karen, did you choose a yarn yet?

SimplyKaar
06-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Karen, did you choose a yarn yet?

I did I did!!!

Look:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/OB.jpg

The picture is a bit dark, eventhough I took it in broad daylight :( But I tried putting a light on it and then the stitchdefinition got completely lost because it was over-lit. So this will have to do for now.

I picked a dull green and had to dubblestrand it to get aprox. the same thickness of yarn as Sandy has used. (it's a tad bit thicker now, so my section is going to be warm :))

I'm just not terribly happy with the eyelets in it; I think the yarn might be too thick to have it properly show up. But I'll finish my lines tonight and I'll have another look then.
If I don't absolutely hate it, I will leave it the way it is, because 300 stitches a row is a LOT of knitting to just frog and re-knit :)

SimplyKaar
06-10-2007, 07:07 AM

:roflhard: that's at least something to be grateful for :thumbsup:
Now just keep your fingers crossed for the returnflight! ;)

Wow!!! You got spoiled!!!

I did!! :blush: It was such a nice surprise to open that box :)

....oh well...he has 6 guitars and about 20 different speakers and amps and and and.....LOL

I'm thinking that is the right approach: I'm sure some wool and a spindle wouldn't even come close to the amount of money an amplifier will cost :thumbsup:

G J
06-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I did I did!!!

Look:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/OB.jpg

I'm just not terribly happy with the eyelets in it; I think the yarn might be too thick to have it properly show up. But I'll finish my lines tonight and I'll have another look then.
If I don't absolutely hate it, I will leave it the way it is, because 300 stitches a row is a LOT of knitting to just frog and re-knit :)
It's LOVELY! :thumbsup:Even if it doesn't look realy "eyeletty", it looks really pretty! Don't FROG!

I can't wait til it comes to me in TEXAS!

Shandeh
06-10-2007, 09:00 AM
It's BEAUTIFUL Karen! :inlove:

Mariblue
06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
I think it looks great, SimplyKaar, don't change it! :hug:

remclave
06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
xxx:guyknitting::present::woot::cheering:I am so VERY excited that I signed up to be part of the creation of this beauty! Being near the end of the list gives me time to decide which pattern I want to add :D

snowbear
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
It looks awesome.. I am amazed at all the great ideas for each knitter's addition. I'm going to have to think... and dig out my stitch books to come up with somehting different.

The green is so pretty.!

SimplyKaar
06-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I finally have a DVD player which is region free so I am finally able to watch the Tour of Duty DVDs (http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Duty-Complete-First-Season/dp/B0001Z3I12/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-1040197-6782464?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181527109&sr=8-2) that I had ordered from Amazon years ago! :happydancing:

Then, before I knew it is was nearly 3am :thud:

:shifty:

But also before I knew it, I had it finished! :woot:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/OB2.jpg

I also discovered why it didn't look very eyeletty (thanks GJ :thumbsup:) after I had knitted up the first half of the pattern:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/OB-eyelet.jpg

I miscounted by 1 stitch in the very first row of the actual pattern and therefore it didn't make the diamond shape but 3 holes above one another and 1 beside it *sigh*

I had no picture with my knitting instructions :shrug: so I just kept on knitting, taking Ingrids advice about "Trust the Pattern!" but while knitting the second half of the pattern, I could see the difference.
But I'm going to leave it this way and call it my design feature!

Anyways: after I get some sleep I'll be looking for some little added bonuses and I'll pick off as many cathair as I can to make it as little bothersome as possible for Sandy , if all goes well, I should be able to make it to the postoffice before the weekend :yay:

I'll come report back to ya'll once the blanket is airborne again :D

Shandeh
06-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Woo Hoo! Excellent work, Karen! :cheering::happydance::cheering:

And I LOVE the "design element". :thumbsup:

Dangles
06-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Karen, you did a wonderful job :cheering:

larudden
06-11-2007, 09:00 AM
How pretty that is! I know I'll have a long wait til it gets to me but that's ok because watching this blanket grow is so much fun!

ADAllen
06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm back from my trip, and ready to help. It's exciting to come back and see how much was done just in the time that I was gone. I'm excited about my turn!

Shandeh
06-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Welcome back, Amanda! :hug:

G J
06-12-2007, 07:59 AM
So where does the blanket head next? :waving::waving:Pick me, Pick me!:waving::waving:
I can't wait until my turn!:)

JamOKnit
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Beautiful job, SimplyKaar! I love your stitch pattern, even if it is not what you intended, and the color looks great next to the chocolately brown.

By the time the blanket gets to me, it will be HUGE!!!

Shandeh
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
So where does the blanket head next? :waving::waving:Pick me, Pick me!:waving::waving:
I can't wait until my turn!:)
You're so funny, GJ! :teehee:

Here's the blog for our blanket.
The list of knitters is on the left side of the screen.

Shandeh
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Still waiting on the blanket to come back from the Netherlands.

It might be a while. :-?

In the meantime, let's all sing a song about our blanket!

:note: :) :note:
(sing to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star")
Oddball Blanket #5
Knitting you keeps love alive.
Maybe you'll keep children warm,
Or some students in a dorm.
It don't matter, cause we know
You'll show our love where ever you go.
:note: :) :note:

G J
06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:
I can just hear you playing it on a big pipe organ, singing along...:)
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Mariblue
06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
:whistle:I'm singing along! :whistle:

ADAllen
06-18-2007, 06:04 PM
fabulous song!

asharif
06-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey,

I'd love be a part of this odd ball experience. How do I join?

Shandeh
06-18-2007, 10:45 PM
:)

snowbear
06-19-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm so happy to be a part of this!. I am going to pick a stitch pattern that is different.. Then when the blanket arrives, I'll see that pattern 2 or 3 times, lol

I'll have to dig out the stitch dictionary to find a really different one!

Shandeh
06-20-2007, 12:42 AM
One of our knitters (debinoz) has had to back out of participating in our blanket project. :pout:

So now, I'm calling on one of our "pinch knitters". :wink:

Suziehomemaker, are you interested in joining the KAL?

suziehomemaker
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Absolutely! I just sent you a PM with my address just in case. Where would I be stepping in on the list?

YAY!!!!!
:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Shandeh
06-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Woo Hoo! Now we get to see one of our "pinch knitters" in action!!
:happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Suziehomemaker will be placed just after threesmom in New Jersey, and just before me in North Carolina. Thanks for being ready, suziehomemaker! :hug:

Here's our updated list of knitters!

Shandeh - North Carolina
SimplyKaar - the Netherlands
jhelanee - Washington State
Mariblue - Idaho
Jill A. - Utah
GJ - Texas
Sweet_Thang - Texas
Secksiebrat - Texas
knitknut - Texas
kellycarr05 - Texas
ADAllen - Arkansas
auburnchick - Florida
losnana - Virginia
JamOKnit - Virginia
threesmom - New Jersey
Suziehomemaker - New York
Shandeh (again) - North Carolina
Teeka - California
snephenie - California
pandaca - California
Tobinknit - Washington
snowbear - Missouri
kellyh57 - Missouri
remclave - Louisiana
larudden - Florida

suziehomemaker
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm so excited! Thanks again for asking me to step in! Only 13 knitters to go!

debinoz
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks, suziehomaker for stepping in for me... I felt REALLY horrible about having to drop out. :muah:

Sandy: If you ever start an all acrylic (or ac./cott./ blend) oddball, I'll be the first in line!! Keep up the good work. :hug:

suziehomemaker
06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
No worries! I'm happy to have the chance to step in and help!

Shandeh
06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Sandy: If you ever start an all acrylic (or ac./cott./ blend) oddball, I'll be the first in line!! Keep up the good work. :hug::thumbsup:

ADAllen
06-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Welcome SuzieHomeMaker!

suziehomemaker
06-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Thank you!

kellyh57
06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Is the blanket back yet? Just getting curious as it's been a while since we heard of any progress on it.

Kelly

Shandeh
06-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Is the blanket back yet? Just getting curious as it's been a while since we heard of any progress on it.
Kelly

I haven't seen it yet. It's supposed to come to my house so I can wash it before it goes to jhelanee in Washington. I'll be sure to post when I get it! :hug:

Shandeh
06-27-2007, 06:08 PM
I just got a message from Simply Kaar. Our blanket went back to her house! I guess it has fallen in love with her. :heart: :teehee:

She said that package had been mangled, and the extra goodies she included were gone. :pout:

But....good news....

OUR BLANKET IS OKAY!!!

So, she'll be sending it again in a smaller package that will hopefully get through quicker and easier. :thumbsup:

auburnchick
06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Oh gosh! A tragedy averted! Someone is looking after our blanket though!

snowbear
06-27-2007, 06:43 PM
whewwwwwww- glad blanket ok...

JamOKnit
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Oh no! How could that happen?? So sorry, SimplyKaar, I'm sure you had put very nice goodies in there. Glad to hear the blanket is ok and it will be back on its way soon!!!

remclave
07-03-2007, 09:30 PM
:shock: Whew! I'm very glad our blankie survived! I hope whoever got the goodies really needed them. :think:

Tobinknit
07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I signed up for this wonderful project awhile ago and hadn't heard anything so thought I had better check the Charity knitting section. Lo and behold the blanket has already been started and has been across the Atlantic and back already! I am SO excited to be part of this project. I see I am 5th from the end so it will be nice to see all of the knitter's work before me. I am so relieved that the blanket is OK after its last excursion. Looking forward to watching and following its travels until it gets to me. Can't wait!......
:heart::heart::heart:

Tobinknit
07-03-2007, 11:32 PM
BTW - Everyone have a happy and safe fourth of July! :muah:

nkyknitter
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I would love to be involved in this project. How do I signup?

Shandeh
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I would love to be involved in this project. How do I signup?

Thanks, my friend! :hug:
I just sent you a private message with the details on signing up.

Ladybug Lady
07-08-2007, 06:29 PM
I'd love to be involved if there's room for one more. :)

Shandeh
07-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd love to be involved if there's room for one more. :)
I'll send you a PM. :)

Shandeh
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, I haven't seen the blanket come back from the Netherlands yet. I'm going to keep waiting for it. :pout:

But in the meantime....I'm starting ANOTHER ONE for us!

If I ever get the one from SimplyKaar, I'll just get another group of knitters together for it. :wink:

So, you can all rest your weary minds. I promise to get a blanket started and mailed within the next 2 days.

jhelanee, are you ready for it? :hug:

G J
07-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh Sandy, You're so sweet! :hug: I keep praying the blanket will get back here safely, so hopefully it will show up soon.

What about making the "stand-in" blanket a wee bit smaller. I've heard 300 stitches gets to be HUGE. It would be less work/yarn for you, too!

Just my 2 cents!

Shandeh
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh Sandy, You're so sweet! :hug: I keep praying the blanket will get back here safely, so hopefully it will show up soon.

What about making the "stand-in" blanket a wee bit smaller. I've heard 300 stitches gets to be HUGE. It would be less work/yarn for you, too!

Thanks, Gina! I think I should keep this blanket the same size, so the list of knitters can remain the same. Otherwise we'd have too many knitters for a small one, and everyone would get shifted around.

I'm already almost finished with the beginning anyway. It's easy!
:)

Also, the blanket is not really that big. It just depends on your viewpoint. I did a lot of online study before I set up the size of our blankets. The blankets we are making are the same size as a standard twin or full blanket.

I've been considering some different options for our blankets, regarding where they will be given. I want us all to vote on where they will end up, you know. I'll probably still have to make an executive decision in the end.

We are considering a battered women's shelter (which could use blankets for the beds there), a rape crisis center (which would use smaller "lapghans"), an orphanage (which could use it as a bed blanket), or "Habitat for Humanity". Any other suggestions for a full size blanket?

suziehomemaker
07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Homeless Shelters?
Pediatric Cancer Units in hospitals?

Maybe you could do a poll and send the items to the top ones chosen?

No matter what it's great and I hope we do more of these!

remclave
07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Has anyone considered auctioning off these special blankets and donating the proceeds to a chosen charity? The blanket will still be cherished by the buyer and we can ALWAYS make more blankets :inlove:

threesmom
07-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Has anyone considered auctioning off these special blankets and donating the proceeds to a chosen charity? The blanket will still be cherished by the buyer and we can ALWAYS make more blankets :inlove:

I hadn't thought of this before - it's a good idea!

I did have one thought on giving to women's shelters: I've worked in three, and I have to say donations aren't ALWAYS handled as carefully as I think we would want our blanket to be. That being said, I still think rape crisis or women's domestic violence shelters are an excellent idea - they can even be used therapuetically by a creative counselor, but I just think if we donate there, we just need to have a contact person who can assure us a specific woman will get it, or that the shelter will use it with the love we intended. I'd be willing to contact shelter or even the coalition on battered women if you want, Shandeh, but this is your baby, so only if you would want me to, or haven't already.

Just my $.02!

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm open to whatever we all decide to do. :wink:

But, I'm in agreement about wanting it to be cherished and appreciated.

It's not just a "throw-away" blanket. It's a work of art, filled with love and prayers. :heart:

G J
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I SO agree. It must be cherished! To that end, I think I'd vote for Habitat for Humanity (since sweat equity is required, they may appreciate the work and love put into the project) or auctioning it off and donating the proceeds to a women's or homeless shelter.

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 09:28 PM
So noted. :wink:

suziehomemaker
07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm lost - where's our blanket(s) now?

Shandeh
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm lost - where's our blanket(s) now?

I started a new one, and it's on its way to jhelanee in Washington.

Sorry for the confusion! :help:

suziehomemaker
07-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks Shandeh! I was looking back through the thread and I couldn't figure out where it ended up.

jhelanee
07-24-2007, 01:42 AM
This post is a little late (:oops:) but the re-started blanket arrived safe and sound in Washington State on Friday. Shandeh sent along some great goodies that I need to photograph and brag about. :teehee: (Thanks friend!) I haven't started knitting yet, but I will in the next day or two.

Shandeh
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Yay! Our blanket is safe! :cheering:

remclave
07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
So what is the status of the 5-2 afghan? :D

Shandeh
07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah Jennifer....it's been a week. Any knitting done, or any photos taken yet?

Samsam
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi, I was wondering if it was too late to join this blanket project, if it is, I'll be happy to wait until a new one is started.
I helped make squares for the linus project with my library group. I've been wanting to do more charity knitting so I figure I join an online one :) I like the idea of passing it to people across the country, very neat :D

Shandeh
07-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Samsam. We are full of knitters right now, but if you send me your name and mailing address, I'll add you to the "pinch knitters" list. Our pinch knitters fill in when one of our knitters has to back out from knitting. Right now, I've used up all our pinch knitters, so I could definitely use you!

Also, when I start a new blanket, all pinch knitters are automatically added to the list. :)

Samsam
07-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Awesome! will do.

Shandeh
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Sadly, two of our Oddball Blankets have been eaten by the post office. :pout:

The first one was sent to the Netherlands, but never made it back. (She was the 2nd knitter, so the blanket had not really grown that much.)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1384/539900320_6a6b1d4d82_m.jpg

The second one lost was our 4th blanket. This one had 5 knitted portions, so it wasn't big yet, but still some time had been invested in it.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1300/538101522_a5887dcbfe_m.jpg

So, I guess we should each mail our packages First Class or Priority Mail, so we can add 65 cents for Delivery Confirmation. That will help a bit with keeping tabs on the blankets. Plus, we will be able to search for them in the postal system that way.

If you use a Priority Mail (http://www.usps.com/all/shippingandmailing/23daypackages.htm) Flat Rate Box, the rates are not that bad.

You can also write "HANDLE WITH CARE" on the package, if you want.

ADAllen
08-02-2007, 02:38 PM
That is so sad.

Mariblue
08-02-2007, 02:52 PM
That is sad. And, a good idea about mailing, Shandeh.

G J
08-02-2007, 08:53 PM
WOW! I've never had packages lost like that! SO SAD! And all that work down the tubes!

Shandeh
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah. It's a drag. But, we're moving on, keeping our eyes on the prize.
:sun:

auburnchick
08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Wow! Such a bummer...

So are we going to start over?

Shandeh
08-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Wow! Such a bummer...
So are we going to start over?

Poor auburnchick....I started our blanket over on July 13th. :teehee:

Jhelanee is working on it now.
Jhelanee, are you finished working on it yet, my friend?

Here's a photo of our new blanket so far, with just my little bit of knitting on it.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1422/800500230_c9066d2cf3.jpg

Here's our blog for Blanket #5:

Susan P.
08-03-2007, 08:15 AM
That is extremely sad..if I may say so as an 'outsider'. I find it difficult to believe two blankets bit the dust if they were sent and addressed properly. I agree that paying a little more for secure postage is important. I trust that people know that if they have not been able to complete the task, that it's better to say so than say they've posted. I DON'T mean to be insulting as I have NO idea here who had the blankets but I know that sometimes my friends have promised something was sent and yet it was sitting in their living room or lost or accidentally thrown out and they were too afraid to say so. Please forgive me if I've said the wrong thing. :(

jhelanee
08-04-2007, 01:58 AM
:hiding: I'm not quite done yet. My excuse is that we are buying a house, so knitting time has been rather scarce while I have been dealing with that. :wall: I haven't even been on here to read things for over a week :pout: (thus the lack of an earlier update). Anyway, I am in the middle of working a patterned section that would look somewhat funny if I just stopped, so I am going to keep the blanket over the weekend to finish up. It should be ready to go to the next knitter early next week. Sorry all for the delay. :oops:

~Jennifer

Shandeh
08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
That's okay. You're only one day late right now.

If you want, you can just switch to garter stitch for the rest of it. I'm sure it will look okay, in the middle of all the different stitches by everyone else. :wink:

That's what I would do, if my life was crazy. (In fact, that's what I've done with ALL the oddball blankets!) :teehee:

Ellen Edwards
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm not on this blanket either, I'm getting started on the lapghan Sandy started recently.

I agree, Susan-I've never ever had a package lost that I sent, or one that I was supposed to receive--it's odd that 2 of these have been lost.

It's not rare that some of us get behind ,however, cause life happens and it's ok!! It's really better to just post it in the forum that things are insane around the house and to ask that people be patient, or to go ahead and send it on if you don't think you'll have time. Things happen to all of us, and we don't know WHEN they will. It's just very seldom that packages that are properly boxed and addressed get lost. It's too bad!:??

Shandeh
08-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I hear ya.

When it's time for the next knitter in line, I always check to see if they are ready for the blanket to come to them. It surprises me when someone gets the blanket, and then says they don't have time to work on it, when they originally told me they were ready.

I think if you don't have time when it's your turn, you should pass, and let the blanket come to you later.

Sometimes, knitters get the blanket at their home, then things go crazy at home. I think if that happens, you should just knit for 1 inch, then send it on to the next person. At least you've knit on the blanket, even if it wasn't for a full 3 inches.

It's better to knit for a small amount, and keep the blanket on schedule. We have pinch knitters that can add a couple more inches at the end if necessary.

Also, I think that some knitters may feel pressured to take photos, write in the journal, and send gifts to the next knitter. PLEASE don't let that be a reason to delay sending the blanket. Just do what you can, and send it on. The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

Susan P.
08-05-2007, 02:02 AM
To be honest, I would not have been able to necessarily send on gifts (that would depend) but I would have said that from the outset and sorted that out. Good point Sandy :)

JamOKnit
08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Well said!!! Gifts and all are fun but not required...the most important thing is making and donating the blanket. I am anxious to do my part, but, well, since I'm kinda far down the list...I have a long wait! LOL
But I am definitely going to stay and watch the progress!

jhelanee
08-06-2007, 01:28 AM
I finished knitting my section! :happydance: I going to try my hardest to take pictures and get it packaged up to mail on my way to work tomorrow, but since I have several other things to do tomorrow morning as well I may not make it. Keep your fingers crossed.... :pray:

~Jennifer

Shandeh
08-06-2007, 06:28 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble2/14.gif http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif

jhelanee
08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
The blanket is in the mail! :cheering: Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation to be specific. So they better not lose it. :nails:

I used Plymouth Encore yarn in a dark green color and worked in "woven stitch". My section turned out a hair long as I was knitting away and only measured when I was done with what I was planning on knitting. Oh well. Pictures of the overall blanket, a close-up of the stitch pattern and the great bag and tea that Shandeh sent me are below.

JamOKnit
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Beautiful job, Jennifer!!! Hooray! Let's root for the blanket to make it safely to knitter #3!!!

Susan P.
08-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Jennifer.. I may not be part of the group but I can still give you a pat on the back..you did a lovely job! Is that yarn an acrylic? Worsted weight?

losnana
08-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I love the stitch y ou used.

suziehomemaker
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Beautiful!

:cheering::cheering::cheering:

jhelanee
08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the compliments. :blush: The yarn is a wool/acrylic blend - 25/75 if I remember correctly.

G J
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Looks wonderful! I can't wait to get it! I think I'm #5 and I can knit again! I've had problems with my right forearm, so I haven't been able to do much knitting for a week.:waah:
But I went to the Dr. today. I have an impinged nerve, so I'm wearing a split, but he said I can knit!:woot:

Shandeh
08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I LOVE the woven stitch, Jennifer! :inlove:

And I also love all the good vibes our new blanket is getting in here! :muah:

GJ, I'm so glad you're able to knit again! :hug:

Mariblue
08-09-2007, 05:46 PM
It's here! :woohoo:Jhelanee, thank you so much for the yarn (beautiful!) and the chocolate (yum!) !
My kids were with me when I opened up the package, and my daughter (4 yrs old) immediately reached in and picked up the beautiful Bollicine yarn from Cascade Yarns, and put it in my yarn basket. Then they were both looking at me with those pitiful puppy dog eyes somewhat like this :flirt:and I was suddenly sharing my chocolate with them :teehee:.
The yarn I'm planning on using is Woolease, a heathered color, I think it's called cranberry, I can check to make sure. It's been in my stash for awhile, just waiting for the right thing, and it matches the blanket perfectly!
I'll post pictures once I've knitted on it some. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Yippee!! Our blanket is on a ROLL! :)
http://www.myparentconnection.com/forums/images/smilies/mail.gif

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e253/kblue500/blissysmile1.gif

jhelanee
08-09-2007, 11:55 PM
It's here! :woohoo:Jhelanee, thank you so much for the yarn (beautiful!) and the chocolate (yum!) !
My kids were with me when I opened up the package, and my daughter (4 yrs old) immediately reached in and picked up the beautiful Bollicine yarn from Cascade Yarns, and put it in my yarn basket. Then they were both looking at me with those pitiful puppy dog eyes somewhat like this :flirt:and I was suddenly sharing my chocolate with them :teehee:.

I'm glad the blanket arrived safely and that you like you goodies. :happydance:

carole_ny
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I would love to work on this blanket. I have recently begun knitting again and already I have a stash. I am so glad I found this group:cheering: I wil IM my interest now.

l

Shandeh
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi Everyone,
I would love to work on this blanket. I have recently begun knitting again and already I have a stash. I am so glad I found this group:cheering: I wil IM my interest now.

Hi Carole! :)
I replied to your message in an IM....I hope you got it.

Right now, we are full of knitters for the blankets, but I can add you to the "pinch knitters" list.

We currently have 3 pinch knitters. Usually, when the list gets up to 6, I start another blanket. So, it won't be long before Oddball Blanket #6 is under way! :thumbsup:

G J
08-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Shandeh,
You may want to check with me before you send the blanket my way. I currently can't knit (again). :waah:

It started with an impinged nerve on the right hand (from scar tissue on a rebuilt tendon from a few years ago). They SAID I could knit as long as I had the splint on, so I knit. But it hurt my left hand. I went back and they said I have enflamed arthritis in my thumb. I now have to wear TWO STUPID SPLITS!!! And it hurts too much to knit.

Anyway I thought I'd let you know. (And, yes, I AM looking for a pity party. Wouldn't you if you couldn't KNIT?):)

Shandeh
08-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Bless your heart, my friend! :pout:
You don't deserve to go through that much pain and trouble. :???:

I'll pray that things get better. :heart: :pray: :heart:

And, I ALWAYS check with the next knitter on ALL the Oddball Projects. I want to make sure the next person is ready, and they haven't moved.
No worries. :hug:

suziehomemaker
08-16-2007, 08:49 AM
(And, yes, I AM looking for a pity party. Wouldn't you if you couldn't KNIT?):)

Gina! I would go crazy if I couldn't knit every night. I'm sending you a great big hug and lots of get well karma!

:hug:

threesmom
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Oh, Gina, you poor thing!! :pout: You so deserve a pity party, - how frustrating! I've had to use those splints before - very uncomfortable, but hopefully they'll work. Is there any sort of physical therapy or anything you can do?

Mariblue
08-16-2007, 11:13 AM
A quick update on the blanket: I've knitted about 2 inches on it. I'm doing columns of garter and stockinette, 20 stitches wide. It's looking great. I'll be sure to post a pic before I send it off.

:hug:Gina,:hug:I'm sorry to here about the pain you're in, that's never fun.

G J
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Gina! I would go crazy if I couldn't knit every night. I'm sending you a great big hug and lots of get well karma!

Thanks! I AM going crazy. We had to drive 6 hours today to bring our daughter to college (there and back) and I couldn't knit! What a waste of perfectly good knitting time! And every night, I DO go nuts.

G J
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh, Gina, you poor thing!! :pout: You so deserve a pity party, - how frustrating! I've had to use those splints before - very uncomfortable, but hopefully they'll work. Is there any sort of physical therapy or anything you can do?
I'm doing some stretches. Go back in two weeks. :wall::wall::wall:

JamOKnit
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Mariblue, how is the blanket coming along?

Mariblue
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I've finished my part of the blanket! :cheering: I emailed Shandeh a couple days ago, and am waiting for an address. I'll probably be able to get it mailed the first part of next week. Before I mail it off, I'll take a picture. :hug:

Shandeh
08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I tried to contact Jill A., but she has not responded. I know she's still active in the forum, because her last message was on August 11th.

Let's try here for one more day.

Jill A - WHERE ARE YOU?!!!

I've finished my part of the blanket! :cheering: I emailed Shandeh a couple days ago, and am waiting for an address. I'll probably be able to get it mailed the first part of next week. Before I mail it off, I'll take a picture. :hug:

Mariblue
08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Here's a picture. :hug:

suziehomemaker
08-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Very nice!!! I can't wait for my turn to knit!

JamOKnit
08-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Ooooh, beautiful!! It looks so good!

Shandeh
08-25-2007, 01:20 AM
OMG! I LOVE those colors! :heart: :inlove: :heart:

Beautiful! :passedout:

Shandeh
08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
I still haven't heard from Jill A, so I guess we'll have to move onto the Texas knitters. I'm contacting GJ right now.

ADAllen
08-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Woo Hoo!!! Arkansas comes after Texas. I'll just try not to focus on the fact that there are 5 or so stops in Texas.

Mariblue
08-25-2007, 10:44 AM
OMG! I LOVE those colors! :heart: :inlove: :heart:

Beautiful! :passedout:

I know, I'm tempted to keep it for myself. :wink:

ADAllen
08-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Here's a picture. :hug:
I love the lighting in this picture... our blanket almost looks angelic.

Mariblue
08-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I love the lighting in this picture... our blanket almost looks angelic.
Thanks, I like it too. We have a breakfast nook here, and if I open all the blinds on a nice sunny day, I can't go wrong with my pictures, they come out all nice and glowing! :hug:

zip
08-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Beautiful! :cheering:

and holy longhorn, FIVE knitters for blanket number 5 in Texas!

Shandeh
08-26-2007, 07:25 AM
and holy longhorn, FIVE knitters for blanket number 5 in Texas!
I think I hear a throwback to Batman and Robin here.

threesmom
08-26-2007, 09:26 AM
That looks fantastic so far! I can't wait to see it - even if it is a while until my turn.:mrgreen:

G J
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I still haven't heard from Jill A, so I guess we'll have to move onto the Texas knitters. I'm contacting GJ right now.
Oh, Shandeh, I've SO been looking forward to doing this and now I have both hands in splints and can't knit. :waah: (I know this is just an emoticon, but it's really how I feel right now.)

This is me, smiling b/c DH said I had to or the picture would make me look mad. Well, I AM mad. and sad, and bored. I LOVE TO KNIT and I CAN'T! I go back to the Dr. on Wednesday. WHo knows what he'll say, b/c I still have pain.

I guess I can think positive. Put me later on in the list. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute when (if?) my hands and arms heal.

remclave
08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
OOh Gina! :waah: Get well soon!

I've got a way to go before it's my turn so even though I'm not hurt, I can sorta commiserate (sp?).

Shandeh
08-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Poor G J !!!!! :pout:

I like the photo, though....because now I can finally see who made the wonderful poncho for me!

I'm sorry you can't knit right now. I'll move you down the list, or I might just put you on a different blanket, because of your allergies. No worries, my friend! :hug:

I just sent a message to Sweet_Thang. Hopefully, she'll be able to knit on the blanket! Crossed Fingers

knitknut
08-27-2007, 07:06 PM
:woot: So glad it is moving along! Sorry you can't knit GJ.

So since I'm 2nd or 3rd in line for both blanket #2 & #5, I could possibly have them at the same time. Wouldn't that be a hoot! That would be a fun pic to take. :yay:

Shandeh
08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
:wink:

Shandeh
08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Since I never heard from Jill A, I've asked one of our pinch knitters to join our group, so we have enough knitters to complete the blanket.

Everyone welcome traceleighj! :hug:

traceleighj
08-28-2007, 10:30 AM
:woohoo:

Thanks a bunch! I am so excited to join in!

ADAllen
08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey Traceleighj!!welcome!

ps.LOVE the avatar

Sweet_Thang
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I just sent a message to Sweet_Thang. Hopefully, she'll be able to knit on the blanket! Crossed Fingers

Woohooo I am ready to rock n roll!!

GJ, I am so sorry to hear about your hands :sad: I hope you get better soon!

::: trots off to find a pattern to use for her portion of the blanket :::::

G J
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for jumping in Stacie! I wish I could keep my place, but my doctor tells me otherwise. I hope to be knitting again soon! I see him again tomorrow, so :pray:

traceleighj
08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Gina-

I wanted to join in but not at the expense of another! I thought maybe someone wouldn't have time, not an injury.

Hopefully you will be on your way to a speedy recovery and can knit again soon!

Good luck at the doctor!

G J
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know what the Dr. says.

Shandeh
08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Yay! Our blanket is back on track! :woohoo:

Sweet Thang, thanks SO much for being ready for the blanket. I've already given Mariblue your address.

I asked traceleighj to cover for Jill A, because I never heard back from her. So, GJ, your spot is still open. I'm gonna wait a while to see if Jill A appears later.

G J
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks, Shandeh,
I'm still not cleared for knitting. :wall:Still wearing splints on both hands and NOT liking it. I have to have a nerve test (Ugh) and therapy. :wall:

Not being able to knit is SO HARD! :hair:

So enjoy yourselves, friends, and don't over-do it!

Shandeh
08-29-2007, 01:34 PM
:pray:

snowbear
08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Sending hugs & best wishes.... hopefully it will be very short lived absence from knitting

Shandeh
08-30-2007, 12:02 PM
In the meantime, you can learn to use fingerpaints with your feet, and create modern art! :wink:

G J
08-30-2007, 04:35 PM
:roflhard:LOL!:roflhard:
Thanks, friend! I needed a laugh!

Shandeh
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/oneofakind/10.gif
Thank you! Thank you! I'm here all night!

I just heard from Jill A. She's alive and well! :hug:

She didn't see my message, because she's been sick. She said that we can put her back on the list again. I've placed her just after me, near the middle of the blanket, so it will be a while before her name comes up again.
Welcome back, Jill! :muah:

auburnchick
08-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi y'all! I've been reading this thread but haven't posted much. I'm glad to see that the blanket is progressing, despite a couple of delays. Can't wait until it's my turn!

Shandeh
08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Sweet Thang, did you get the blanket yet?

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Shandeh, I'm so sorry, but I didn't get the blanket mailed out until today. I've been sick with a sinus infection, so wasn't able to get to the post office. :waah:
I'll pm you and Sweet Thang the tracking number.

Shandeh
08-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for letting us know, Mariblue!

I hope you get better real soon! :heart:

Secksiebrat
09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
With all the rearranging we've had to do I noticed my name has quickly moved up. Just wanted to let you know I'm here and accounted for and when sweetthang is done with the blanket I'll be ready. You should have my address from the last blanket, but if you don't let me know and I'll get it to ya!

~danielle~

Shandeh
09-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks for being ready, Danielle! :muah:

Shandeh
09-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Sweet Thang just told me that she has received the blanket! It's safe in Texas. :)

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Mariblue
09-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Sweet Thang just told me that she has received the blanket! It's safe in Texas. :)

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Secksiebrat
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
:woot::woot: That means it's getting closer to my house! I'm next on the list and it's a perfect time!

~danielle~

:yay::yay:

JamOKnit
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Sweet Thang! How's the knitting going?

Shandeh
09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
I was just about to ask the same thing!

Your two weeks will be up next Tuesday. :wink:

remclave
09-14-2007, 07:10 AM
:pI stopped by to ask too!

Sweet_Thang
09-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Sweet Thang! How's the knitting going?

It's going pretty good. I try to knit on my breaks and at night once I am home from work and the gym. This weekend will be a good one for me just to sit and knit to my hearts content. I should be all done by Tuesday and it will be out the door Wednesday.

I just hope the pattern I am using looks good!!

Secksiebrat
09-14-2007, 11:12 PM
No hurry! We are having Lane's birthday party next weekend. SO I will have a lot of family here the weekend of the 22nd :) I probably wont get to knit on it. So take your time. But after that weekend, I'll be good to go for knitting :)

~danielle~

Sweet_Thang
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
I have officially finished my portion of the blanket this evening. Those last few rows were completed as I sat with my friend at a beautiful high school listening to The Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl McPhee speak!!

As you will see, the blanket was proudly displayed with The Harlot, Myself and my friend Teri. And she graciously signed the journal as well!!

I am sooooo stoked that I got to meet her, have her autograph all my books AND take a picture with the beautiful blanket!!

So, I am just waiting for the next address and the blanket will be off to the next knitter.!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d739b3127ccebc5ff6a3bc2900000026108KasnDNu4w

auburnchick
09-19-2007, 12:30 AM
What an awesome experience! I will feel so privileged to touch something that the Yarn Harlot touched! Remind me to ground myself first! :teehee:

Shandeh
09-19-2007, 03:46 AM
Woo Hoo! Our blanket has had such an exciting life so far!

Thanks for going the extra mile to get a photo with the Yarn Harlot!
You get BONUS points, Sweet Thang! :)

JamOKnit
09-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Beautiful! And the blanket is nice too. :) How cool that you got to meet the Yarn Harlot!

suziehomemaker
09-19-2007, 08:46 AM
That is so cool! :cheering:

Mariblue
09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
:happydance:Wow, I can't believe that I have knitted on a blanket that Stephanie Pearl McPhee touched! That is awesome! :cheering:

I told my son, who is 7, about the famous knitting lady, and showed him the picture with her holding the blanket with you, Sweet Thang, and he said, "Wow, that's kinda cool!" :teehee:

remclave
09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
You've been granted such a boon!:muah:

(i am not worthy... :notworthy: i am not worthy)

Wow! Wow! Wow!

So how are we supposed to follow such an awesome act?!:woohoo:

Congrats on the autographs! :D

Sweet_Thang
09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I have completed my portion of the blanket and it's now making it's way over to Secksiebrat.

I am still living on cloud 9 after meeting the Harlot and getting her to not only pose with the blanket but to sign the journal!

Have fun and as the Harlot would say "Knit On!"

:woot:

Shandeh
09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
You ROCK, Lexie! :happydance:

Secksiebrat
09-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I get to TOUCH IT next! Maybe the "magic" will still be there. Too cool. I can't wait for the blanket. IT should be here Saturday and I'll get work on it as soon as my family leaves out (sunday evening).

Thanks!

cloud9:woot:

~danielle~

PaperGirl
09-21-2007, 07:02 PM
I like how your friend Teri's yarn is stretched all the way out of the picture. :roflhard:

Secksiebrat
09-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I called Sandy this morning. I received the blanket yesterday in good condition. Thank you for the skeins of yarn as well sweet thang. That was very thoughful of you!

I hope to get my stash of yarn out tomorrow and figure out what I want to use and what stitch pattern. Today I've been cleaning up the left over party stuff and getting my house back to normal after my parents left as well as grocery shopping for the next week!

What a day.

Thanks ladies and I'll give you an update after I get my yarn and pattern choosen!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat
09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
My son has been unusually cooperative today so I was able to cast on this morning. We went outside and swam around in his little pool and I sat by the side and knitted. Days like this are so good! Even more so since it's Monday! Maybe it's a hint for things to come now that he's 3! I can keep hoping, right? :)

Anyway, I'm using caron yarn. I don't know the exact color but it's an ombre. My parents get it through their wholesaler and it comes in 1lb increments as mill end or something like that. I think it'll be really beautiful b/c it has a deep burgandy and the christmasy green color in it!

I'm hoping if my son continues to be cooperative so maybe I can get it out by the end of the week or early next week. *crosses her fingers*. I'll keep ya updated though :)

~danielle~:knitting:

JamOKnit
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Sounds like the yarn you chose will be a perfect fit! I am excited to see an updated picture of our blanket!

Shandeh
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh, I bet it's beautiful! :hug:

Your son is at a good age right now. Enjoy it!
(I've had 3 sons, so I remember those sweet times. You're lucky!)

Secksiebrat
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I have about 6-8 more rows left and I'll be complete. I'm hoping to finish it off today! I am heading to Canton Tx on Saturday for the big Flea Market and will be passing the blanket on to my mom to knit on!

I'll take some pictures tonight or tomorrow so you can see the progress!

Thanks for allowing me and my mom to knit on this wonderful blanket! Such wonderful thoughts/prayers have gone into this blanket already. It's going to be so blessed when it arrives in someone's forever home!

~danielle~:knitting:

Secksiebrat
09-26-2007, 01:47 PM
I pulled the blanket out to work on it and realized I had knitted more than I had thought. I hadn't done any measuring yet so I was just kind of eye balling it. I got the tape out to measure it and I just needed to finish 2 rows to complete the pattern.

I think it looks beautiful and here are some pictures to share!

It will be heading to my mom's on Saturday and she knits pretty fast so I figure by the end of next week it will be making its way to the next knitter!

Rock on Texas girlies!

:woot:

~danielle~

Mariblue
09-26-2007, 01:50 PM
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the photo. It's nice to see the blanket grow! :cheering:

ADAllen
09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
wow! The blanket looks fantastic!

G J
09-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Looks LOVELY! And it's so nice that you and your mom can both work on it.:hug:

threesmom
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
That looks fantastic! What stitch pattern did you use?

It's nice seeing how it's coming along! Can't wait till my turn ..

auburnchick
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Quick question...perhaps it's already answered in a post earlier, but I'm too lazy to read back through them...

What gauge are we using? I'm starting to keep my eye open for yarn, and I was just wondering...

Is it pretty much wool yarn?

Thanks!

knitknut
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
:woot:Yay!!! :woot: It's almost my turn!

Secksie - I'm so jealous that you are going to Canton! I haven't been in years. Have you ever seen wool for sale?

Secksiebrat
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I have never been to Canton! But I will tell you if there is yarn for sale :)

~danielle~