PDA

View Full Version : OT: Intermittent hypoglycemia?

Kirochka
05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyone have any experience with hypoglycemia that seems to come and go? I may be making this up or totally off base, but in the past few months I have had episodes where I suddenly get very shaky, sweaty and weak... I talked to my gynecologist about it, thinking perhaps it was perimenopause (I'm 44), and she had me get an ultrasound that, strangely, showed a (overshare alert!) baseball-sized fibroid - that's something I need to have checked again in half a year - but I don't think that's related. I also have IBS, familial tremor and Hashimoto's (man, I sound like a wreck...!), but the symptoms are more related to hyperthyroid than hypo, from what I've read. My blood sugar always tests within normal parameters, and my thyroid levels are under control with Synthroid...

Anyway, obviously if this continues I'll be bringing it up with my endocrinologist, but I was wondering if anyone's had this sort of thing. It happened again yesterday afternoon and I found that eating something helped... which does seem to indicate a blood sugar thing, yes?

[Smaller font isn't very small in this new board, is it?:shifty:]

Ronda
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
My 9-year-old daughter has problems with her blood sugar. She has literally been glassy-eyed and limp and lethargic from it. It's usually a problem when she's already ill and she refuses to eat. I usually have to give her Phenergan suppositories when she gets a GI virus to stop the vomiting or she winds up in the hospital with an IV. It's scary. Most of the time though she just gets very irritable and cranky when she hasn't eaten properly, and after she eats, like Sybil, her mood changes.

Her doctor recommend small frequent meals and protein (i.e. milk instead of juice when the blood sugar is low).

I, too, have had a few problems. I will get nauseous and break out in a cold sweat. Once I eat, I'm fine.

Good luck!

HamaLee
05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I have the same problem that happens to me, and it's always food/hunger related. I'll be motoring along, maybe a little hungry but not noticeably. And then BAM--instantly my knees are shaking, cold sweat, dizzy sometimes, VERY irritable and I can't concentrate. I return to normal once I eat something (usually something carby). I've never spoken to a doctor about it, though I probably should, and just figure it's blood sugar/diet related.

Let us know how you make out. If I really pay attention to what and how often I'm eating, I can avoid the crash. But I admit I am not very good with being consistant on that front.

misha rf
05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Yup, I get like that too. Most of the time I'm fine. But every so often, it gets too low. I can tell when it's happening. My husband's learned to recognize it, too. He always comments on how my color's better after I eat. :teehee:

carmabelle1191
05-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm really sorry that's been happening. Sometimes I get a little edgy when I'm hungry, but I'm never shaky at the knees or anything like that. My mom's friend has had a bad experience with it though, and got in a car accident because she was hungry and passed out at the wheel. She ended up losing all of her teeth. You should probably talk to your doctor if it persists, just to make sure nothing extreme happens.

BinkyKat
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
This happens to me too. I've had gastric bypass surgery so it's one "side effect" if you will. It usually happens for me when I've not had some good protein. It's also happened when what I have eaten that day gets "stuck" and then finally moves on through and I sort of get a "dumping" feeling that most people get when they've had something too sweet. I usually get sweety if it's really coming on but I can usually sense it when my arms feel "wiggly" and my hands get shaky. I grab some cheese or a spoonful of peanut butter or some milk and crackers. I know people that jam some candy but that turns me off, I sort of crave something not so sugary.

Kirochka
05-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your responses! It's just odd, it wasn't until yesterday that I suddenly thought about it in terms of blood sugar. It's annoying that the "conditions" I have, the IBS and the hypothyroid, both come equipped with a set of symptoms that's different for each individual, and can't necessarily be said definitively to be due to it - but the other week my gastroenterologist said something I was experiencing is often associated with Hashimoto's, so perhaps this is too.:shrug:

At any rate, now I have some idea of what to do when it happens - namely, eat something - and I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again, everyone!

debinoz
05-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I have some of the same problems also. If I don't eat, which I'm prone to do if I'm knitting, I get so shakey, hot, and weak I can't hardly walk. My mom has diabetes, but I go the other way... my sugar drops way low, usually around 45. I'm supposed to have something to eat at least every 2 hours. HA!! Which really is annoying with the IBS, more so when going through an active cycle. If ya know what I mean. :ick:

Mommy22alyns
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I do get that way sometimes if I desperately need to eat. I also have low blood pressure, so it's easy to make me lightheaded!

clb1968
05-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes , it does sound like low blood sugar, especialy since it goes away when you eat.

Sara
05-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Karen, I have similar episodes. I have always chalked it up to Hashimoto's. You should follow up on it with your endocrinologist.

Kirochka
05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks! I will...:hug:

cindycactus
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I had the same problem quite a while back. It happened when I ate something sweet for breakfast. Pancakes, Sweet Rolls, etc. A couple hours later I was shakey and weak. I asked my doctor about it and he said when I ate anything sweet to make sure I ate a protein also. Followed that rule and have not had any problems since then.

nuknitter
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey K - I've got hypothryoidism, after going thru an absolutely lovely (NOT! :ick:) episode of Hashimoto's. Hypoglycemia can be a feature of hypothyroidism, so your assessment is probably correct. I can tell you, this was NOT fun at all when I was working veeeery long hours with irregular access to food.

You just have to be really prepared and keep sources of healthy protein (even some w/healthy fats) on you. The others above have given you good suggestions.

Good luck! :thumbsup: It IS manageable, just not fun.

letah75
05-18-2007, 11:39 AM
When I was a child and I would get hungry I would get VERY irritable and B*tchy. Mom thought it was just being a kid....Turns out its not.

Last year I tested myself on my friends blood sugar checker, he's diabetic. About 20 minutes after I ate my blood sugar was about 50. I still have bad mood swings, shakiness, and diziness when I don't eat. I thought I was doing pretty well, until I noticed my co-workers will leave little bits of food on my desk when I start to get agro...my mom will call me on the phone and depending on how I say "Hi" she'll say "Oops, you haven't eaten, I'll call you later."

I do my best to eat about every 3 hours, just a snack, but I don't always get a chance. Last week I got into an arugment with a 4 year old, because we were both hungry! It was pathetic. The 4 year olds mom said, "Yeah, that's it, we're getting you guys something to eat". I had no idea I was hungry, I couldn't control what was coming out of my mouth, and I really didn't realize I was acting so bratty.

Vendie
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
It's very possible that your sudden hypoglycemia could be tied to the fibroid they found, considering that hypoglycemia is often a symptom of PCOS, which is very closely related. The endocrine system has a very fine balance, so once one of your hormones gets a little funky, you see the impact in ways you don't even think of.

Keep an eye on it; when it happens, grab some orange juice or glucose tablets. Pay attention to any potential triggers. Just don't let it go too long before you do something about it. :hug:

Stiney
05-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't know much, but :hug: Take care of yo'self!

I tend to have low blood pressure, and often crave salt. I swear they changed the recipe on Lay's potato chips and made them less salty. Mom swears they changed it and made them saltier. :teehee: She has high blood pressure.

Kirochka
05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Again, thank you everyone for your comments and advice - it does make so much sense that all these different things are related, and it's so stupid that I have a tendency to compartmentalize what's happening to me and not immediately think of the likely connections. Thanks to all of you for pointing them out!:hug:

Kirochka
05-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh, and I just have to add, not eating enough is not generally one of my standard problems!:oops: Trying to stick to the Weight Watchers points plan has probably got me not eating enough at certain times of the day in an attempt to save points for later in the day when I know I'll be hungry... so I do need to rethink my approach to the counting.

(And I seem to have used the episode of a few days ago as a pretext for not counting WW points all the rest of this week... :oo:)

clb1968
05-19-2007, 12:07 AM
It is a good idea to carry glucose tabs or some hard candy with you, so that if you feel it coming on, and cant get to food quickly you can treat it.

I have type 1 diabetes , so I battle high and low sugars on a regular bases, so I keep glucose tabs or hard candy everywhere and I test often, since lows can sneek up on me very quickly.

RiverDaughter
05-19-2007, 06:36 AM
When I was a child and I would get hungry I would get VERY irritable and B*tchy. Mom thought it was just being a kid....Turns out its not.

Last year I tested myself on my friends blood sugar checker, he's diabetic. About 20 minutes after I ate my blood sugar was about 50. I still have bad mood swings, shakiness, and diziness when I don't eat. I thought I was doing pretty well, until I noticed my co-workers will leave little bits of food on my desk when I start to get agro...my mom will call me on the phone and depending on how I say "Hi" she'll say "Oops, you haven't eaten, I'll call you later."

I do my best to eat about every 3 hours, just a snack, but I don't always get a chance. Last week I got into an arugment with a 4 year old, because we were both hungry! It was pathetic. The 4 year olds mom said, "Yeah, that's it, we're getting you guys something to eat". I had no idea I was hungry, I couldn't control what was coming out of my mouth, and I really didn't realize I was acting so bratty.

Yeah, I have that same problem. Except that, because of my magical ability to get food poisoning, I can't tell when I'm hungry or not anymore. My stomach won't send the signal to my brain if I'm hungry, which means I'll go 12+ hours without food without noticing (has happened more than a few times at work so far), and my stomach also won't send the signal telling my brain that I'm full, so I'll sometimes eat until I'm sick without realizing it.

It is majorily teh ick. :ick:

syndactylus
05-19-2007, 12:50 PM
wow, I never knew there were so many other people that this happened to too!
I always thought it was my anemia and low blood pressure, and maybe innate brattiness. but if I go too long without eating, there is no way I can even look at food, I just have to go to bed first - so besides the pissy, evil, unreasonable part there's the part right in between furious and passed out where I get really weepy and accusatory and melodramatic.
like the time we were taking our constitutional on valentine's day (on our way home to eat no less) and I saw all these people in line to eat sushi, and started bawling, and everyone looked at my bf like he'd just shot a puppy. but that was kind of funny, later.

protein is great, especially pistachio nuts, and my bf always carries cereal in his pockets now just in case. but sugar makes me cranky.