PDA

View Full Version : excessive shipping charges

Ellieblue
05-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I have been checking out Smileys yarn and even though I really didn't need $40 worth right now I thought I could find enough to order. I placed on item in my cart and checked the shipping charges. They have a minimum charge of $12.95! Why do companies do that. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for my yarn, but I resent being given a very low price and then charging high shipping charges. Am I alone here?

VictoiseC
05-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Right you are, I refuse to pay high shipping. IN fact whenever I notice a company offering their yarn for a flat $5 shipping fee or thereabouts, I love them so much I usually order something!

jeanius80
05-19-2007, 12:40 PM
ellie- that is exactly why i didn't order the circus yarn! makes me mad!!! especially since i can't find it anywhere else. i guess i will keep searching ....

debinoz
05-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I can somewhat see their reasoning for this. If someone... like me... ordered their $40 worth all in the $1 skein section. 40 skeins take up a lot of space and would be a pretty good sized box.

Mommy22alyns
05-19-2007, 04:05 PM
That's why it's good to try & find a couple of other local knitters and place a combined order. My (tiny) knitting class did that at the end of the semester. :happydancing:

kemp
05-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Lots of places have free shipping if you go over a certain $$ amount so be sure to look for that too!

Ellieblue
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks all of you for the good advice. I ended up with Sonata from Elann. at least they give you the option of priority mail or parcel post rates.xxx

mwedzi
05-20-2007, 08:54 AM
I've never ordered from Smiley's for this same reason. I can't really explain why, but I hate paying high shipping costs. I know it's not logical, but I almost feel like I'm being tricked. first you show me the low prices on the product and when I get ready to check out, I find out that I'm hardly saving any money at all. With their $40 min order and $13 min shipping charge (last I looked it was $10 flat rate so sounds like they've upped it even more), I've never seen anything in their inventory I want that much.

LizzieK8
05-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I used to work for a small business as the shipping and receiving section. :ick: It takes a bit of time to run around and collect up the order, put the box together, pack it up, address, weigh and stack for UPS to pick up, or to get to the post office. Someone had to pay my salary (even at minimum wage) and for all the packing materials, as well as the postage costs.

If a business is going to give you a discount on your product, they can't throw all that cost in for free or a discount. It's part of the cost of keeping a business afloat. :shrug: Trust, about 99.9% of business are not making money in their shipping and handling costs. :rollseyes: