PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Stop me!!!

feministmama
05-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I bought more yarn today!!AAAAAAHHHHHHhhhh!!!!!!!

OK so It was kind like a sympathy buy. You know how it is. You go into one of those shops that's kinda small and in the back so it probably doesn't get a lot of business (not to mention a super jumbo Joannes next door) so you look around and they have a lot of lovely things, lots of patterns, needles, etc. So you buy something. Say three skeins of some really soft yarn in a loud color.

I just couldn't help myself.

Chel
05-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I have done this before. First of all, I would rather support a locally owned business than a huge corporation. Still, I have found that sometimes small locally owned shops can be a bit snobby. Its the personality of the shop staff that totally sways my decision to purchase (or not). I don't tend to buy yarn with a project in mind anyway, so if I see something lovely or something I think might inspire me in the future I go ahead and get it. I can afford it, and its my way of saying "Thank you for supporting such a wonderful hobby, thank you for being so friendly and welcoming me, and most of all, thank you for existing!"

Braden
05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Ditto. Plus, I've found that my LYS (locally owned) has a much better selection of wools than the Joannes.

Ingrid
05-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Stop you? From buying yarn? :chair:

BinkyKat
05-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I've made lots of sympathy purchases...not just yarn. If I go to a little shop that is unique and fun...and I'm the only one there and your comings and goings are so obvious that you can't come in, browse and leave...I pick out a little something. I feel guilty just looking when in places like this if I'm the only one there:oops:

zkimom
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Sympathy yarn?? No. Guilt Yarn is more my thing. You know, I feel guilty that I haven't been to my LYS in so long (is it cause I've been buying so much yarn online????:rollseyes:) that I have to just get something so I know that they will still love me when I stop by the next time.:oo:

HamaLee
05-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Somebody Stop me!!!

Oh honey...you didn't think you'd get anybody here to STOP you from buying yarn, did you???:rofl::rofl:

Seriously, I totally understand. I do the same thing at my small LYSes. Kinda like Chel said, a thank you for stocking lovely things for a lovely hobby. :thumbsup:

Enjoy that purpley goodness.

brendajos
05-21-2007, 01:07 AM
ugh... as terrible as it is, i am so glad my mother's cross stitch shop closed due to buying "sympathy yarn." She misses her shop I know but when they added yarn, I felt like I had to buy stuff every time I was there.

Most of what she had was stuff I could buy here with a better selection of colors, or freakin' novelty yarn. The owner was just so excited to tell me that she was going to be adding yarn that after that I couldn't bring myself to not buy something whenever I was there.

And it made my mother happy too...lol. I am a teddy bear collector and Mom was always telling me that I didn't "need" more teddy bears (yes I am a full grown adult...lol) but when I would say I don't need more yarn she would say "it isn't about need!"...lol

mwedzi
05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
I buy sympathy stuff all the time. I'm such a pushover.:rollseyes: If there's no yarn I like, though, I try to make it a pattern book or stitch markers or needles or something.

ps: i'll help you stop buying yarn, if you really want.

DQ
05-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I've made lots of sympathy purchases...not just yarn. If I go to a little shop that is unique and fun...and I'm the only one there and your comings and goings are so obvious that you can't come in, browse and leave...I pick out a little something. I feel guilty just looking when in places like this if I'm the only one there:oops:

I do that too! :hug:

kblue
05-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Oh goodness i buy sympathy yarn and apology yarn...My first visit to a LYS i took my kids with me (I don't know what i was thinking:wall:). I was looking around and saw that a small amount of yarn was a lot more than i thought it should be (i was a real newbie then, now i know that the prices are actually pretty good). It was a small store (small meaning you could see everything from the door) in an isolated area where the might not get a whole lot of customers and like BinkyKat i was the only one there. The kids were doing lots of "walking fast", loud but nice comments, and then the touching of everything. I felt so bad i bought $30 worth of yarn, I didn't even know what kind of yarn (brand or fiber or yardage). I just grab something that felt nice and put it on the counter. Lessoned learned...i can't take my kids into a store that has NO carts :rollseyes:

kellyh57
05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
The LYS I love is close to my husband's work and now my OB office so I HAVE to stop whenever I'm in the area. I buy something every time, whether I need it or not. It sucks though when I need something and go there because I end up buying so much more than what I really needed because I have so much fun! Then, there's a yummy cookie store right around the corner (and I know the owner) so I have to stop and get cookies...Yeah, like I need cookies!

Kelly

kellycarr05
05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I would have done the same but I am new to the area and went into a small store in Dallas. No one was helpful at all except for one of the customers who was knitting there.:pout:I had a question regarding knitting in the round. There were five older woman knitting at the table (two who ran the store) not one of them offered any suggestions accept sign up for a class.....needless to say I left empty handed. And by the way the only lady who suggested anything was sitting with one other person and her seeing eye dog. It was amazing. She was blind and knitting..I have no excuse to try new things.She was finishing a sweater.:happydance: